Start by marking “Cover, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Cover, Vol. 1

Cover, Vol. 1

(Cover #1-6)

Based on a true story, the intelligence community figures out that the traveling band of social misfits who make comic books are an exact match to the profiles of candidates recruited for intelligence and counterintelligence gathering. Bestselling creators Brian Michael Bendis and David Mack bring this incredible espionage epic to Jinxworld in Cover Vol. 1!

A very
Published May 28th 2019 by Jinxworld

To ask other readers questions about Cover, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cover, Vol. 1

Start your review of Cover, Vol. 1
Sam Quixote
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2019
Comics creator Max Field is recruited by CIA operative Julia to be a spy – and that’s the “plot” of Cover! Because Brian Bendis’ characters are as overly chatty as ever, like in titles such as New Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and All-New X-Men: waffle, waffle, waffle, oh shit, the book’s over and I forgot to add a story – classic Bendis!

And what’s worse is that quite a bit of the dialogue, in addition to being largely pointless (WAY too much on Jack Kirby – I get it, you’re a fan!), reads
David Schaafsma
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-comics
Well, it's hard to know what I think about this comics series. It's supposedly based on a true story of a comics writer who doubles a spy. So that's what happens: A well known comics writers get recruited to work for the FBI as a spy. So he's a spy whose cover is comics. And comics guys actually illustrate covers of comics, haw! At first it is just little things he's asked to do, initially, but the stakes seem to get higher as things proceed, and things get more and more ridiculous to the point ...more
Chad
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hoopla, 2019
I have to say I was disappointed in this. Bendis and Mack haven't worked since Daredevil and I was excited to see them team up again. Throw in a subject, they should know a lot about, comic book conventions, add in spies, and this was a no brainer that it would be great. But Goddamn, those monologues drone on forever with no point. Bendis really could have used an editor here. The story is very disjointed with all the important pieces missing. You're left with the picked over fragmented bones of ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, jinxworld
Full disclosure: whenever I see David Mack's art I pee my pants a little.

With that said...Five-stars alone for the pretty pictures.

I mean, yes, there is an awkward comic dude that becomes a spy and some great interactions with him and his comic pals at comic conventions and there is a lot of shit that made me LOL and Bendis writes it all up in a completely entertaining way that he makes look so effortless...

But...David Mack art. Holy shit...David Mack art.

I'm not worthy.
James DeSantis
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of the oddest ideas ever, yet it worked out pretty damn well.

So this is a lot about comic conventions. I've been to them as just a viewer/buyer, and also as someone who set up shop to try and sell my comic. They're both fun and stressful at times. People look past you to buy cheap shit, and garbage, instead of giving the time of day to view hard working comics people make with blood sweat and tears. This story gives some spotlight on that but quickly turns into a spy mission. Our
Tom LA
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A virtuoso performance by the two authors (writer and artist), long time friends. Jaw-dropping art in at least 10 different styles. So beautiful to look at, especially those unbelievable watercolor pages with the mini and the autumn trees in the background.

Unfortunately, the plot is really, really thin, and the tone of the dialogue is often mismatched with the tone of the drawings.

The drawings will be dramatic and emotional, a bit abstract, while the dialogue will be peppered with snark and
Valéria.
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I usually like dialogue-heavy things, but this was nothing I would read with passion, I couldn't enjoy the story, couldn't like characters and I quite got bored at the end of this. The artwork was awesome though..
Alexander Peterhans
Beautiful art, with a story that seems horribly impressed with itself, radiating a smug tongue-in-cheekness that got in the way of me making any real connection to the work.
Chris Cormier
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A comic book creator is unwittingly and mostly unknowingly recruited into service by a secret government agency. His handler, a beautiful mysterious woman pushes his buttons, keeps him in the dark and uses his lack of knowledge and his travelling to comic book conventions as "cover" for darker covert actions.

I am a huge fan of everything written by Brian Michael Bendis so it's no suprise that I became instantly enamored with Cover. This is an exciting, fast-paced story with stunning artwork by
Ramon
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, but considering what actually transpires over the course of 6 issues it just felt padded, and the art style, while pretty, was not a great match. The cerebral parts, talking about the comics industry, creation and such, were fine, but then the espionage stuff was just flat. One of the covers called this a spy thriller and not once was any of this exciting or thrilling. Sometimes meditative, occasionally funny (though more through recognition/reference than actual humor). I ...more
RG
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I felt the art and story just didnt go together.
Rich Stoehr
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Cover' somehow brings together all of the elements I appreciate in a good comic book. Or really, in any creative storytelling medium - comics just happen to be one of the very few that can do this many things at once this well.

The characters are rich and relatable, brought to life by sharp and witty dialogue. The art style is evocative and even beautiful when it needs to be, mixing different styles together in a way that makes sense and stirs the senses. The story is smart, unconventional,
Zedsdead
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An up-and-coming graphic novel writer/illustrator is recruited as a freelance CIA operative. Before long he's tied to a chair getting punched by a foreign agent, who also happens to be a comics writer and one of his personal heroes.

What an odd story. There's virtually no action. There's no crisis to be solved, no impending catastrophe to be averted, no vital MacGuffin to acquire or achieve. It's all about personalities and conversations, the lifestyles of comics creators, and the unusual
Todd Glaeser
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has a serious Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind vibe in the best possible way. I really enjoyed this.
Adam Stone
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
If you love Brian Michael Bendis comics and/or David Mack's art, you'll probably love this. Both are playing to their talents. Bendis with his dialogue, Mack using some of his disparate styles to jar you from one scene to the next.

The reason I'm giving this three stars is entirely personal preference. I tend not to like poems about poets, comics about comic creators, paintings about paintings, dances about dancing, etc.

This story is about a comic book creator who gets mixed up in espionage at
Ardyth
Look, this is a fun -- and quite funny -- comic. Good dialogue, clever enough idea.

But the ART is the best of it. Different art and we'd have a mildly amusing tale about a comic writer turned spy.

The art is what makes this amazing reading. At least six distinct styles -- maybe seven? All gorgeous. All adding to the humor or drama or confusion of a scene. This art does more than capture a moment... any one panel would be beautiful on my living room wall.

But it goes beyond the panels. Every
Norman
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-comics
Whoaaaa. This is it! This is the one from these Jinx stories that Bendis truly pours his heart into. Teaming up with the amazing David Mack, Bendis weaves a chaotic but very honest tale of some comic creator who turns into a spy or something. The plot is not that important, so it’s more about the unraveling of the story.

I especially loved the jumping back and forth between the actual story and the new work that our protagonist is writing. There’s also some great art where the colors and images
Carl Waluconis
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Michael Bendis, a major writer in the Marvel comics universe, signed an exclusive contract with DC comics, it was big news for followers of the graphic art form. Sad news quickly followed. He suffered a MRSE attack that left him temporarily blinded any lying close to death for several days. He had previously planned to do a comic together with David Mack, and not doing it was one of his regrets during his dire, facing-death thoughts. So when he recovered, they at last collaborated to do ...more
Dan
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
General premise is that a CIA analyst Julia, who is a big comics fan, approaches the main character Max, a semi-famous comics artist at a con, and proposes recruiting him to do work for Langley, since his world-traveling lifestyle makes a great cover for much needed counter-intelligence work. He begrudgingly accepts, and his life as pawn in a spy thriller begins. It’s beautifully illustrated, primarily by Mack, but with guest pages done by other prior Bendis/Mack collaborators such as Bill ...more
John Stanifer
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could probably write essays about this . . . on one of several topics.

- How the story plays with the many potential meanings of the word "cover"
- The interplay between truth and fiction, both as it relates to the "true story" behind Cover and the experiences of the main artist character as they relate to his own creative work
- The ins and outs of convention life and fandom as they're portrayed here
- The important role that reading and various creative activities (writing, art, film) play in
Jake Nap
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Cover is a unique look into the comics industry through the veil of a spy story. The main character seems to be a pretty obvious stand in for David Mack (known for “Ninja Sword Odyssey” an obvious Kabuki analogue, wears a black cap just like David Mack does, best friends with a bald comics creator from Portland that’s obviously Bendis). Speaking of David Mack, he draws the fuck out of this book. The layouts, changing art styles, the coloring and shot composition are all ridiculously impressive. ...more
Dakota Morgan
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I mean, come on, a comic book about a comic book writer who is recruited by the CIA? Masturbatory much? Cover works better than you'd expect, but not that much better. Brian Michael Bendis churns out acres of dialogue, most of it decent. David Mack produces art, though it's the kind you'd find in a museum, not the kind you'd find in a comic book. I didn't like it, but I appreciated the gutsiness of it.

Let's face it: Cover is an ugly book about a pretty dull subject. Not even Bendis can make the
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
I wasn't a fan of Bendis' original Jinxworld books, but this is something different, much more akin to the wordy, thoughtful work that he did on books like New Avengers and Alias.

The premise of Cover is that a comic book writer is tapped by the CIA as an asset, with his attendance at comic conventions providing "cover". The comic side of things is great: the business of comics, the business of conventions, and the fact that Bendis intermixes pages from various comics to highlight and
John
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cover combines the wacky premise of “comic artist as international spy” with a very grounded glimpse behind the curtain of the comic professionals’ world. Out of this, it spins a message about the role of creators and their work, along with a lot of fun situations that are underscored by punchy, natural dialog and expressive, diverse art styles.

The message isn’t necessarily crystal clear, but it’s enough to get the reader thinking for themselves about it, and that's probably for the best anyway.
Abigail Pankau
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A famous comic artist is recruited as an asset for the CIA, kind of. He doesn't actually do anything himself, but he shows up at conventions and stumbles through as other things happen around him and to him.

Ug. This reads like major wish fulfillment, and instead of plot, we get boring, interminable conversations. The only thing that saves it is the art. The art is MAGNIFICENT and gorgeous and varied and fantastic in all its different styles.

So this would be a 1 or 2 star just going on story
Kevin
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There have been numerous pieces of popular fiction (and even non-fiction) about spies and the "normal" lives they try to lead outside of their respective agencies. Their covers. We've even heard any number of conspiracy theories about people you might not expect that are believed (some proven) to be spies. People like Julia Child, et al.

But what Brian Michael Bendis has given us in Cover is the seemingly preposterous idea that comic book creators might just be the best cover for spies ever.
David Turko
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great surprise. I'm very skeptical on Bendis's writing. Most of his books these days aren't that great and they're usually filled with chatty/pointless dialogue. But a lot of insight gets dropped into this book from comic culture to comic book writing. Definitely one of Bendis's best works in a while. As for the art well...It's David Mack. He's been making some of the best artwork in comics for over a decade. This was a very good comic and I think its worth checking out.
Sacha Declomesnil
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dave Mack is arguably the best living comic book illustrator. So many different styles in one opus, it’s a prowess. Scenario of international spies based on a semi-true story is interesting too although I have been less impressed by the story than by the drawings.
When I see dave Mack’s name on a book cover I just read it. Never a bad choice. If you hesitate just start by Kabuki, his masterpiece. You won’t be disappointed
Erik Redin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-sl-comics
I haven't read anything by Brian Bendis is a long while, but when I saw the cover for this trade on Hoopla it took me back to the glory days of ALIAS and DAREDEVIL and I decided to give it a read. I loved the concept here and David Mack's art is gorgeous. The semi-biographical nature of the story (the characters are based on Mack and Bendis, but the story is fictional) makes for a fun read. I also appreciated the restraint shown in the storytelling because I can imagine how goofy/unrealistic a ...more
Tundextra
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-reads
Comic conventions used as cover for espionage. Creators turned into spies by CIA handlers. An artistic masterpiece, with some great lines but the overall story isn't very compelling. I am presuming it is the art, actual page layouts, concepts and covers that have made this mini-series so crtiticaally acclaimed. 8 out of 12

• Bad Weekend