Start by marking “The Pigeon HAS to Go to School!” as Want to Read:
The Pigeon HAS to Go to School!

The Pigeon HAS to Go to School!

(Pigeon)

Why does the Pigeon have to go to school? He already knows everything! And what if he doesn't like it? What if the teacher doesn't like him? What if he learns TOO MUCH!?!
Ask not for whom the school bell rings; it rings for the Pigeon!
Published July 2nd 2019 by Hyperion Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about The Pigeon HAS to Go to School!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pigeon HAS to Go to School!

Sophia Triad
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I can't believe that I was looking forward to a children's book! But it is about our favourite pigeon 😁
Awesome children's book!
Highly recommended if your child goes to the big scary school for the first time in his/her life.
Laura Harrison
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Pigeon Has to Go to School, deals with the fear and anxiety of attending school for the first time. It is laugh out loud hilarious. This now and forever will be the go to book dealing with this issue. Take note booksellers and librarians of the world. The pigeon very effectively conveys the thoughts and fears of a first time student. Ofcourse the illustrations are amazing. The spread where the pigeon discovers he can go to school on a bus is priceless and perfect. A spectacular addition to a ...more
Rebecca
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, picture-books
Hilarious as always. I won't spoil the perfect ending.

I love how Pigeon's postures and expressions tell almost the entire story -- there is very little in the way of environment for him to interact with.

Bonus: don't miss the front CIP page. It's not really what you think.
Michele Knott
I am so glad Mo Willems continues to delight his audiences.... even when they are adults and can't help but laugh out loud at the funny parts!
Mark Baker
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2019
Pigeon has just learned that he has to start attending school. Surely, he doesn’t have to do that. After all, he already knows everything. Will there be math? There are too many letters! And Pigeon is not a morning bird. Will anything be able to change his mind?

Author Mo Willems continues to find ways to tell stories using only pictures and dialogue that keep us engaged. This is another fast yet entertaining read. Most kids are excited about getting to go to school, but this book should help tho
Sara Magnafichi
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Any child who loves Mo Willems and the Pigeon is going to love this story! Pigeon worries about all the things that may or may not happen at school. "What if?" is his favorite question. The ending is PERFECT for those who are familiar with other Pigeon books! You will have to read it to find out, as to not spoil it. This is a great back to school book to read at the beginning of the year. You can have great conversations with kids around this book!
Ana LibrariAna
Mo Willems is amazing as always. This time our beloved pigeon HAS to go to school, but he does not want to. He already knows everything; the school starts in the morning and you know what he is like in the morning. He is also concerned he won't like it and that the teacher might not like him....

Mo Willems balances humor and pigeon's concerns about starting school and this is definitely a perfect book for kids starting school, as well as any fans of Mo Willems. It's a definite must for all librar
Elizabeth
I can't WAIT to read this to upcoming school-age kids come August!
Austin Gullett
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I really liked the lesson of school being a place that should help you feel brave and prepared. As far as school-anxiety picture books go, this one is top tier.
Rod Brown
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Standard and solid Mo Willems goodness with a twist ending that really sticks the landing.
Laura McLoughlin
The Pigeon is as delightful as ever.
Sparrow
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was checking the holds shelf at the library for one of my requests and saw the new Pigeon book tagged for somebody else. Shamelessly took a couple of minutes to stand there and read it (before putting it back, of course). As expected, it's super cute.
Prince William Public Library System
The Pigeon has to go to school!?! Whazza-Whazza-Whaaa!?!

Everybody’s favorite feathered friend is back, and this time he’s not too thrilled about starting school. After all, he already knows everything and his head might pop off if he learns any more. Or so he says. He keeps coming up with more and more outlandish excuses as to why school isn’t for him before finally admitting the real problem: he’s scared. Like a lot of us, kids and adults alike, the unknown stresses him out, dude. After talking
Kimberly
I enjoyed this one, but I think my enjoyment of it was lessened due to my own parental negligence. At the end of the book, when the bus shows up and my son had zero reaction, I belatedly realized that I have never read him Don't Let the Pigeon Ride the Bus. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!

Evidently we need to remedy this situation and I'll try this one again once he knows more about the Pigeon.
Amy!
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Aww, Pigeon. Funny and wonderful and so so relatable.
Becky
First sentence: WAIT! Don't read that title! Too late. Rats...Why do I have to go to school? I already know EVERYTHING! Go on--ask me a question. Any question!

Premise/plot: The Pigeon is back in another picture book adventure. He's starred in MANY books including: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!; The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!; Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!; The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!; The Duckling Gets a Cookie?!; The Pigeon Needs a Bath! The Pigeon, our HERO, is trying to convince us read
Jessica
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was too good and will be great to read at the beginning of school. I think my favorite parts are the end papers. :) Recommended.
K C
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Might be one of my top Pigeon books. I don't know if its better than The Pigeon Needs A Bath though
Michele Knott
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So even though this book does not publish until July, I just want you to all know it's a must read. It's a must pre-order. You're going to read it at the very beginning of the school year, so you might a well make sure it's for sure going to be in your hands.
All of the things you expect to see in a Pigeon book by Mo Willems is in there. And it will make you laugh out loud. I promise!
Jillian Heise
This one will be perfect for back-to-school time.
Adele
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This was fun and it was nice to get a new Pigeon book. I felt like this one may not be quite as good as the earlier ones, but I may possibly be getting burned out on The Pigeon. There were a couple points where I felt like The Pigeon had some legitimate concerns about going to school and I'm not 100% sure they were adequately addressed, but the back inside cover spread illustration is sweet, comforting, and satisfying.
Meredith
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Pigeon has a meltdown at the thought of having to attend school.

Young readers will relate to the Pigeon's fears about going to school. This book provides a great opportunity for caregivers to discuss and address any worries their children may have about starting school.

My preschooler's favorite part was the illustration of the Pigeon's head popping off, and I had to explain that one's head really won't pop off if one learns too much. Also, it is impossible to learn too much.
Catherine
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, childrens
As my kids get bigger, and are not reading picture books, I've realized how much I've missed the humor of Mo Willems.

I was SO excited to read a new Pigeon book by Willems! This book is just as hilarious as every other Pigeon book! I loved it! I recommend it to all - young or old - for a good belly laugh.
Nicole
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute picture book about Mo Willems' famous (at least in our household) Pigeon. I'm not sure that all kids would get the irony about 2/3 of the way through which essentially describes what school is in a complaint about why Pigeon doesn't want to go do school, but a little help from parents will clear that up.
Emily
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddo-books
Pigeon has to go to school, but he is scared and makes up excuses as to why he shouldn't have to go. In the end, he realizes that school can be fun and he can't wait to get there. Good for getting your kiddos, especially kiddos who have yet to endure a year of school, excited to learn again.
Krysta
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mo Willems does it again! The Pigeon shares relatable fears about going to school the first time, but in a humorous, overly dramatic way. Best for those who have already read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (if you want to get all the jokes).
Andrew
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sooo excited to read Mo Willems NEWEST Pigeon book!! Happy times!😁💚📚
Twilight Gilles
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't forget to read the "copyright" information at the very beginning! You'll be missing out if you don't :)
Leslie Swope
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of all the Pigeon books!
Diana
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pigeon is worried about going to school and is in full freak out mode. Classic willems
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Pigeon (9 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!