Start by marking “A Thousand Doors: An Anthology of Many Lives” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Doors: An Anthology of Many Lives

A Thousand Doors: An Anthology of Many Lives

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews

The day Mia Jensen died, she finally got to live.

WHAT IF…

We’ve all played the “what if” game. For Mia Jensen, “what if” is a fact of life. Dissatisfied with her choices, she often dreams about what could have been. Now she has the chance to know. But that knowledge is going to cost her dearly. Only through death can she fully realize the value of her life.

Forty-year-ol
Published November 5th 2018 by Two Tales Press

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Doors

Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Leigh Kramer
I'm not one to pick up short stories or anthologies on a regular basis, and I'm typically very critical of them, but this was something special folks. Gather round, friends, and let me tell you about this gem of a "novel". J.T. Ellison, the queen of suspense, has recruited the most desirable female authors in the psychological thriller genre today and brought them together to take their many talents and create one cohesive story. I know, trust me, it sounds so difficult, but they nailed it.

I do
Erin Clemence
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to JT Ellison, for an ARC of this novel.

Mia Jensen is unhappy and dissatisfied with her life as a whole. One day, when she investigates a strange noise in her house, she is stabbed and left for dead. As she dies, she is able to experience several other “could be” lives. Lives she could have had if she had made different, better, choices. When faced with these “what ifs”, can Mia go back to the life she knows?

“A Thousand Doors” tells the story of one woman, using the voices of
Mandy White
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
A Thousand Doors by JT Ellison and a star studded cast of thousands is a very unique book. Written by some of todays best thriller writers all about the same character. Most of the stories I loved and wanted more! Some of the stories were too short for my liking but worked in this premise.

Mia Jensen gets to experience all the lives that could have been for her - but only in her death. After a shockingly bad day she is attacked in her own home and left for dead. We have all played the "what if" g
Kerry
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A thrilling anthology that isn’t really an anthology, but a story of one woman’s many lives, written by a unique group of award winning and bestselling thriller, suspense, and women’s fiction authors. I thoroughly enjoyed reading each of Mia Jensen’s lives. They’re exciting, thought provoking, fun, emotional, suspenseful, and adventurous. Praise for J.T. Ellison for spearheading this project.
Judy Collins
I loved A THOUSAND DOORS: An Anthology of Many Lives by JT Ellison and this talented cast of superb authors! The collection takes us through the many lives of Mia. The has done, and what ifs. Mia found herself in some crazy situations. I loved each and every one.

How many of us have wondered, "the what ifs" in our lives? Courses our lives would or could have taken. Choices we have made. The many job offers in another state, our past relationships, jobs, the people crossing our paths. The regre
B. Adriana
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks-en, netgalley
I have never read an anthology, being pleasantly surprised by this book.
It's about Mia Jensen and the millions of possibilities of her life if she had made different choices when the road of life reaches the crossroads.
Every story is extraordinary, making you come into the lamb's skin, living her intense emotions.
Elizabeth
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, netgalley
I knew going in that this book was an anthology of sorts, but I did not expect to feel like it was a "Choose Your Own Adventure" type of anthology! I was impressed. I found myself unable to decide which story would be the best for Mia. Some stories were pretty tame, others were wildly imaginative! I loved the concept and the execution!

My thanks to NetGalley and Two Tales Press for the opportunity to read and provide an honest review of this book.
Katie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Thousand Doors was born out of J.T. Ellison’s brainstorm of a dissatisfied dying woman who gets to live her “what if” lives as she dies. I love a good “choose your own adventure” book and this anthology seemed to be headed in the direction. What if 40 year old Mia had made different choices? Become a mother? A News Anchor? A Professor?

In order to make Mia’s alternate lives as unique as possible, J.T. recruited well-known talented artists to each write a chapter and give Mia a different life.
Ashley Houser
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Expected Publication: November 5th!

Wow. Wow. Wow!

What a collection of short stories by an absolute powerhouse of authors:

*J.T. Ellison (Review for Tear Me Apart here: https://homesweethouser.com/2018/08/1...)
*Kimberly Belle (Review for Three Days Missing here: https://homesweethouser.com/2018/07/0...)
*Laura Benedict
*Alisha Klapheke
*Ariel Lawhon
*Kerry Lonsdale
*Catherine McKenzie (Review for The Good Lia
PinkAmy loves  💕 books📖, cats😻 and naps🛏
As Mia bleeds out on her kitchen floor, the victim of a knife attack, she contemplates her life and the roads not taken that would have led to different outcomes.

If if in the unfortunate position of dying and considering other choices I might have made that would have given me different lives, those other versions would be ideal. JT Ellison and the talented writes she gathered to write A THOUSAND DOORS have Mia experiencing different, imperfect realities. Though most are mystery/thriller writers
Rebecca
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Mia was murdered at age 40, but what if she had made a very different choice when she was a young woman? How would her life have been different? Would it have been better or worse? Find out in this wonderful collaboration between 16 amazing authors, many of whom I've already read and a few more I now need to read. I don't usually enjoy short stories, but I found this anthology unique and satisfying. A few of the stories brought tears to my eyes, and I am left wanting a full book about my favorit ...more
Jen
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A Thousand doors gives you a look in the many lives she could have led if she made different choices throughout her life.

Mia Jensen is at a pivotal point. Her soon to be ex is an ass, she comes home from a crap day to decompress, and before she knows what happened- she's laying in a pool of her own blood, left to die. What follows is an anthology of sorts into the many lives she could've led. Are any of those better than the life she might leave? Though she's dying, would she change a thing? Wh
Linda Zagon
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J.T.Ellison , Author and Editor of "A Thousand Doors": An Anthology of Many Lives: has include a fantastic line-up of authors to write their short story of Mia. Just one decision and change of luck opens the door to a vast choice of alternatives for the character.I loved the different stories which each had the distinct flavor of each author. I would recommend this Anthology to readers who enjoy a unique, intriguing, intense concept of different choices and stories.
Tracy (The Pages In-Between)
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you J.T. Ellison for gifting me a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I rate this book a 4.5 out of 5 Stars.

Finally an anthology that I LOVED! Every single author nailed their short story. There was not one that I did not enjoy. This is seriously the dream team of Authors, and my mind was blown with the creative geniuses! It's like someone whispered in J.T.'s ear "Build It, And They Will Come" (or for us readers, Write It, And They Will Read) Bow dow
Linda Zagon
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jill Anderson
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with this fabulous, unusual book! We have all wondered about the "what if" possibilities in our life, where one little decision could have totally done a 180 on your life.
Each of the authors did a wonderful job of taking a "what if" of Mia's life and giving us a glimpse into all the possibilities for her. So many of them on their own would make great stand-alone books!
January Gray
Not my cup of tea. It started out great, then got boring. I understand the concept and thought it was unique, it just wasn't for me.
Candice
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think it’s fair to say that I am OBSESSED with this story and the way it was written. I love J.T. Ellison’s work already but this idea of starting a story and asking some of the best female authors around to add pieces to it is Genius! Each snip-it of Mia’s life was captivating and a pleasure to read. I was so invested in this story, I couldn’t out it down.

Although this is considered an anthology, it is unlike any I’ve ever read before. I am not a fan of short story anthologies usually because
Jaymi Couch
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Genre: short story, fiction, anthologyPublished: November 5, 2018Pages: 404⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Let me start by saying THANK YOU to author Kaira Rouda for sending me an e-ARC of this attention-grabbing, incredibly exciting anthology. Kaira Rouda who wrote Best Day Ever is one of the authors featured in this anthology.
I first heard of this super secret project from rockstar author J. T. Ellison and couldn't wait to get my grabby hands on it!
The story begins with "the day Mia Jensen died" as introduced by J. T. W
Donna Hines
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
The What if's are going around for Mia is upset with life's choices to this point and needs a change.
Only in death can you see the light that's escaped her precious soul.
Life is a series of twists and turns, ups and downs, in which those hardships propel us forward in achieving our wildest dreams.
This is an analogy with many authors that I love including JT Ellison so it's hard for me to give a mediocre review.
Perhaps I was having a lousy day as I'm extremely busy raising 3 teens solo below pov
Marj Ward
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Amazing anthology. I admit I have not read many. The beginning has you believing that Mia is murdered by her husband. Many authors (most of whom were new to me) contribute to the story. A most incredible ending written by J.T. Ellison. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I highly recommend it. Thanks to NetGalley, Independent Book Publishers Assoc. and the Authors for allowing me to read and review this book.
Christine Moore
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The day Mia Jensen died, she finally got to live. Mia has a terrible day so she goes home to have some wine and try and relax with a hot bath. She is brutally attacked and left for dead. As she lies there dying, she sees her life as different choices. I loved this book as it was different from anything I have read before. I wanted to read this book since so many authors I love contributed. This book did not disappoint! I received an advanced readers copy from NetGalley and Two Tales Press. All o ...more
Monique
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“What if” is a premise that calls to me like the song of the siren. A THOUSAND DOORS is a very daring enterprise as it has a head writer J.T. Ellison, if you will, along with a slew of guest contributors. Would Mia Jensen’s essence remain intact? Would it form a coherent whole? It does, except that I found that The Author by Kaira Rouda did not capture Mia’s spirit as well as the other ones did, and The Seeker by Paige Crutcher was a little too esoteric for me. The short stories are independent ...more
3 no 7
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
“A Thousand Doors” is an anthology edited by J.T. Ellison , but it is unlike other anthologies one might have read. This one, of course, features stories by renowned suspense and thriller authors, however, “A Thousand Doors” features one woman, Mia, and many tell her story. These prominent authors all add a unique flavor to Mia’s narrative, creating an exceptional, inventive, and cohesive anthology.

Anthologies are formulated for reading on the go since a reader can complete one whole story in a
Tami
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Readers who love short stories will want to read this newest release from JT Ellison. It’s a bit of a mix between Ground Hog Day and It’s a Wonderful Life.

Mia Jensen is a 40 year old woman who finds herself literally at death’s door in the first story. Each story that follows is written by a different author and gives a different version of her life, based on different choices she might have made in the past.

Having these short stories presented by different authors gave some very unique perspec
Lisa
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: october-2018
Thank you Two Tales Press for sending me A Thousand Doors for review.
A Thousand Doors is a short story collection edited by J.T. Ellison. They are all connected by one idea but they are all very unique. The first story sets up the whole collection, Mia is murdered in her kitchen and as she is dying, she see all the different lives she could have lived. All the different careers, personalities, experiences, etc. It is a great way to compile a short story collection by a wonderful compilation of w
Susan (The Book Bag)
Wow! I don't know if I've ever read a book like this one before. What an interesting premise—Mia dies at the beginning of the book, and as she is laying there dying, she has flashes of what her life could have been like if she'd made different choices. This book is so fascinating because it's each author's take on the direction that Mia's life could have taken, if only she'd made different decisions in her life.

Each chapter, written by a different author, gives their spin on how Mia might have p
Stephani Beltran
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-reads
Wow, what an exciting Anthology! I loved the premise of this one. PLUS, the collaboration of authors coming together for this piece was amazing. The story of Mia dying at the beginning and then each author telling us what each of them imagined Mia experiencing in different “What Ifs”- was perfect that it felt like a singular story told by one author. Short Stories aren’t my usual genre however, this was so unique and was such an emotional rollercoaster for me from beginning to end. After I fini ...more
Karen Porto Davis
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was very excited when I was notified that I won this Goodreads giveaway...my first EVER!

I have already read books by JT Ellison, Kerry Lonsdale, and Kimberly Belle. But this was a wonderful opportunity to sample 13 more authors.

I love the premise of the book. Facing the end of your life and wondering "what if". How many decisions have we made in our lives that have changed our course?

Could we have been a lawyer, an archaeologist, an artist, a scientist? Would we be happier childless, with se
Susan Peterson
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Thousand Doors is unlike any book I’ve ever read....an intriguing concept brought to fruition by an extremely talented and diverse group of women. As a woman lay dying, she is given the rare opportunity to see the versions of her life if she’d made different choices along the way. We see all of these iterations of Mia’s life through the eyes of each author, hearing the stories in their unique voices. I was captivated by each story...some left me in tears...some made me smile...all of them had ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Readers Coffeehou...: Anthology featuring Kimberly Belle 5 13 Oct 30, 2018 07:21AM
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author J.T. Ellison writes standalone domestic noir and psychological thriller series, the latter starring Nashville Homicide Lt. Taylor Jackson and medical examiner Dr. Samantha Owens, and pens the international thriller series “A Brit in the FBI" with #1 New York Times bestselling author Catherine Coulter. Cohost of the Emmy Award-winning literary televis ...more