Start by marking “Salvage Rat” as Want to Read:
Salvage Rat

Salvage Rat

Star Force pilot and hero Wyatt McCoy left his medals and career behind after the Rim Wars, disillusioned and bitter when he learns the truths behind the conflict. He takes his converted gunship, the Nellie B, and heads to the Near Fringe, salvaging derelict ships and abandoned stations and mining colonies. Dr. Beth Parker is a space archeologist, documenting the history o ...more
Published September 19th 2018 by Worldbuilders Press

To ask other readers questions about Salvage Rat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvage Rat

Start your review of Salvage Rat
Meenaz Lodhi
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Knowledge changed a person, with no way to go back to the way it was before.”
A decorated hero, ex Rim War pilot, a Space arqueologist, mysterious alien tech relics, corporations’ political controls, discrepancies, lies, the protagonists realize they are being part of something bigger than themselves. Funny, irreverent and thoroughly enjoyable.
Betrayal, treason, hatred and downright greed and bigotry ... it is an exceptionally well written, interesting and fascinating book. It flowed really well
Keith
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-copies
This was a space western par extraordinaire. Definite action hooking you in from the first paragraph. My only negative thread throughout the book was the occasional jumps in both character and plot development where you had to make sure it wasn't the late evenings you stayed up reading it to make sure you didn't miss something as the author progressed. This being a (so far) stand-alone work, it was vaguely sad to miss out on the final resolution of the plot line.
Which, by the way, was rich and i
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Fun space opera!
Such likeable characters with genuine motives trying to do good. Ye evil corporations out to squash our dynamic duo and half the population of the outer rim and fringe systems.

Good versus evil in a really fun way. An academic, an archaeologist, and an ex-soldier team up after finding themselves on the wrong end of corporate security guards trying to cover up their perfidy.

Strong, believable characters, great world building, a ton of action. Fast paced with some tense, vivid bat
Sophia
An ex-military space pilot who just wants to be left in peace is content with his existence with his ship, Nellie B, and salvaging from derelict ships, space stations, and abandoned places across the galaxy, but then one heroic gesture to help a lady archeologist in distress lands him on a bigger adventure than he bargained for. I had a jolly good time with this swashbuckling sci-fi adventure through space that that had me thinking western frontier meets Indiana Jones.

The book is a series of con
Arminion
May 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
After seeing so many five stars review on this site about Salvage Rat, I was surprised and a little skeptical. Is this SF book from an unknown author really THAT good? In the end of course, my skepticism was right because it is not. Were these people payed to write such good reviews? Because I don't see anything extraordinary about this novel to deserve such praise.
Salvage Rat is nothing special. It's basically a thriller... but in space! It's filled with cliche on top of a cliche. There is the
Susan
What a fun romp through the questionable parts of space! I really enjoyed Salvage Rat Wyatt. He’s his own boss and he’s not sure he wants to share that job, but the time being he’s tied to Beth, our brainy space archaeologist. I’m a big fan of the TV show Firefly, and this story has echoes of that.

The combo of immediate survival and trying to bring down the big bad government agency really worked for me. Wyatt and Beth are forced to blast from one place to the next, uncovering more disturbing fa
Lynn Reynolds
This was a case of taking a chance. I’m a romance snob – yes, I admit it. I’ve lived for romance since my grandmother put my first Harlequin in my hand. Then the chance to listen to this book came across my desktop. If someone had put the book in my hand I probably would have wrinkled my nose and said no thanks. I do like science fiction and I like action & adventure – and yes it usually has a romance theme. But this time I really didn’t mind not having that – although I could pick up a hint or ...more
Elena Alvarez Dosil
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ex-military Wyatt McCoy, now surviving as a salvager, gets mixed in a conflict of huge proportions when trying to protect dr. Beth Parker. Beth is more than what she seems, and the big corporations are behind her because she knows their darkest secrets, and the best way of silencing someone is killing.

I had a great time listening to this audiobook, pure adventure in a space odyssey book with interesting characters and a conflict that matters. Captain McCoy is your typical ex-hero which now looks
Leslie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free and an ARC reader for voluntary review.

Synopsis
Wyatt us a war hero who just want to be left alone to salvage ships on the edge of space in peace. Beth fought her way of off a hard-scrabble farming planet to become a space archeologist and took a corporate sponsor hoping for the stability and notoriety such a public backer could supply. When she found proof that Kolak Enterprises was killing their workers, had caused the Rim War for profit, and was bombing worlds to mai
Lilly Charysma
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An adventure, with secrets at every corner and with a lot of entertainment – this is what this story brings to its readers. I was sold from the moment I laid eyes on the cover. It has the perfect color combination for what we have in the chapters.

So a man and a woman want to bring down a corporation that has been doing too much evil to our society. Our lady character is an awesome scientist, with some awesome technology at her disposal. I liked her abilities so much. She is “enhanced” enough not
Jessica Belmont
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really cool scifi, following Wyatt and Beth as they adventure through salvage work and gathering evidence, while attempting to stay ahead of a evil rich corporation on their tail.

Some of the technology in Salvage Rat is really awesome. Beth has an alien implant that allows her to see death scenes. Anndof course she sees the corporation killing off people. Plus killer-bots, zombies, space pirates, and super storms, this book has all the scifi goodness I was hoping for. For those of yo
Space Cowgirl
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Space Chase🚀

Sci-fi 🔫Shoot Em- Up Thriller
Wyatt is a former Space Force pilot who is using his retired gun ship to find valuable salvage on The fringes of the galaxy. He mostly looks for rare metals in old electronics in long abandoned space stations, derelict ships, and abandoned mining colonies.
He is busy looking through the offices of an abandoned mining colony when he realizes he is not alone, because someone is shooting. There are some men shooting at a lone woman!
Beth is a space archeolog
Cheryl Whitty
Reviewed on http://bookaddict.live,
I do enjoy my sci-fi so this book was very entertaining when Wyatt ex-military Salvage Rat lands on a planet which has top salvage. While there he spots a young women being shot at so he decides to help Beth a Space Archaeologist getaway.
So begins a partnership which leads them straight into the middle of rebellion as the more they salvage the evidence they find of mass cover ups.
Where whole colonies have been destroyed.
This is told from Wyatt’s point of view
The Mysterious Reader
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Firefly and the good ship Serenity, and I’m going to be inclined to like anything that even remotely reminds me of it. Larry N. Martin’s Salvage Rat, while having a totally distinct voice and plot, etc., easily passes that test and is more than merely liked. Wyatt McCoy and his Nellie B. Are in for a real adventure once they take on Beth Parker (see the publisher’s blurb for details), and we readers get a fun and exciting ride as a result. But for the fact that I’m literally d ...more
Cheryl
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Meet Wyatt and Beth and enter their world of challenges. Wyatt McCoy is a salvage rat. During a run of salvaging he meet Dr. Beth Parker. When he meets her all hell has broken loose and she is running from gray suits. As you read this story you will learn about Kalok and Stellar Fed and more. You have lots of mystery, action , humor but no romance yet. I did find Mack very interesting and would like to see more bits of humor because stories need it to tone down some of the heavy stuff ...more
Joseph K.
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read a snippet, then had to buy it

I do not recommend you buy this book and start reading it too late in the evening, or you will stay up far too late and not want to put it down. Now I have to go see if it is a series or not and get the others. I enjoyed it a lot, and if it is a series, look forward to seeing how they expand from here. I also wonder if the bots are more than they seem...yes it is worth reading it to understand that comment. 😃
Chrissi
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic space adventure. The characters are developed well and the world building is great. The storyline moves along consistently, with action pulling you in from the beginning and holding you until the last action filled page. I only hope this isn't a one off, as I am so looking forward to seeing what happens with the 'bad guys' lol.
Les
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
none stop

Great action from page one,the auther crams an amazing amount into the book,the main characters could do with a bit more development but there is sufficient to understand their motivation,the book is complete in itself but there is plenty scope for numerous sequels,hopefully the author will take the story further.
Dawn
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Salvage Rat" is a fast-paced and energetic read. There's a lot going on in this story, but not so much that it gets confusing. I particularly enjoyed the relationships between various characters. The book is quite short, so some people may find the characters and relationships aren't given enough wordage, but it worked for me.
Benjamin  Thomas
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a very entertaining book. Most of the space fleet space opera books are great on worldbuilding but lack character development. This one has both. Ex-military Star force pilot Wyatt McCoy and Archaeologist Beth Parker were a good pair to follow. Good action, tension throughout the book. Narrator Jeffery Kafer does a great job as always bringing each character to life.
Darrell Grizzle
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A space Western filled with fast-paced action and intrigue, with smartly written dialogue and characters. Highly recommended for fans of mystery as well as science fiction!
Marla
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read an excerpt of this book, I found it very interesting. I love space scavenger stories and lol forward to reading the rest of the story!
Jim Garrison
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Schwash Buckle

A great romp! Good guys fight the corrupt establishment with occult alien technology and brass balls. Enjoyed this book till the very last page.
Chris Topher
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good old fashioned space western romp with heart.
David
Apr 07, 2020
Karen
Dec 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Messenger (The Messenger #1)
  • Hide the Lightning (The Coalition Book 1)
  • Conviction (Scattered Stars #1)
  • It Ain't Over... (Cole & Srexx #1)
  • ...Till It's Over! (Cole & Srexx #2)
  • Devil Calls the Tune
  • Old Dogs, Older Tricks (Junkyard Pirate Book 2)
  • Galactic Law (Galactic Law #1)
  • Delphi City (Delphi in Space #2)
  • Endless Night (The Guild Wars Book 3)
  • Jump Point (Kestrel Class, #2)
  • Between Two Worlds (The Guild Wars Book 2)
  • Starship Sakira (Delphi in Space #1)
  • Sacrificial Weapon (Cryptid Assassin #3)
  • Darkness Beyond  (Light of Terra, #1)
  • Marine (Terran Scout Fleet #1)
  • Flight of the Reaper (The Last Reaper #5)
  • Danger Close (Drop Trooper #3)