Start by marking “Loving a Straight Boy” as Want to Read:

Short-short Story: 3,000 words / 12 pages
Genre(s): Fiction
Tags: FREE READ, BITTERSWEET

--------------------------------------------------
A short-short story that may have you questioning what you would endure for love.
--------------------------------------------------
Author’s Note (Sept 09, 2018):

Earlier this week, I sat on my balcony splitting my attention between the book
Published September 9th 2018 by Joseph Lance Tonlet

To ask other readers questions about Loving a Straight Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving a Straight Boy

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This story makes me want to punch something. But I am not a gay man, so I had my brother, who is, read it too.

His words (heavy on the sarcasm): "Oh, yeah, every gay boy wants to hear how his straight crush fucked a girl in the ass."

Demeaning, humiliating, fucked up.

Update: My friend Daniel read it too. He texted me this morning, "What the hell is this garbage?"
Martin
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
You know what would get 5 stars from me? The inspiration behind the story. The author watching the new hot hunky (straight) neighbor move in from the balcony and seeing the guy’s best friend carry boxes and openly adore the man while they settle in? That would make for an awesome story.

But, what we did get was three letters: W.T.F ?!

This short is about a straight guy and a gay guy snuggling on a sofa. The gay dude is in love with his best friend, but the friend is actually straight, talks about
Trio
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who else could get five stars from me in under 12 pages?

Damn those blurry lines between romantic love, sexual desire, and friendship. Then add in expectations and personal goals… well whatever form the future takes for these two men, fingers crossed JLT brings us along for the ride.

I can’t get the straight guy out of my mind. If he’s on the level, doing what he must so he doesn’t lose his best friend, then this is so bittersweet for both men.

We only know him through the internal dialog of the g
Moony Eliver
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't going to review this 12-page short, but the more I think about it, the more impressed I am with what Tonlet accomplished in only these few words. If you've ever had a relationship where your stronger feelings were unrequited, or if you've kept someone on the line that you loved but not in the way they needed, this one will pierce you.

Interesting side note. The hardest thing about doing this review was deciding whether to put it on my romance shelf. Am I being judgmental because it's so
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
This is sweet, and for reasons specific to our two characters.

We're permitted entry into the inner workings of their friendship by way of one playing narrator, but I have a good sense of both of them. That's good writing, yo.

Successful storytelling is also conveying emotional responses twixt your characters in ways that allow the reader to empathize with and understand both of them. Two for two here, folks.

And to do this talented writerly type stuff in a short story: we've hit the trifecta, sco
Al *the serial series skipper*
Wait, you mean to tell me this is it?! wth! I need more. It is so sad, I don't want sad, the reviews said its bittersweet but I say it's sad. Make this a gfy or something, it needs more chapters! Pretty please?
AussieMum
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple. Quiet. Thought provoking. I love stories like this.
Katerina
Loved this one ❤ ...more
Elena
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
I think it's me and not the book...

I don't believe a gay guy would act like that towards his straight BFF.

And what the straight MC asked the gay MC is, IMO, simply cruel...

The writing style was OK.
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
No tags here, because once you give this a read I think you will determine every reader will have their own, for this unexpected, yet delightful, short story from the talented Joseph Lance Tonlet.

Is Loving a Straight Boy bittersweet or just sad? Is it two men’s unique Dom/sub relationship or a twisted version of love? Is it gay for you or just gay?

JLT creates two very interesting characters we as the reader get a peek at by way of a gay man’s narration of his and his straight best friends’ non
Adam
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Adam by: Martin
"What the f*** did I just read?", isn't something I've really used before. But this one definitely deserves that remark. This is one of the most dysfunctional "best friend" relationship I've ever read. It's really weird to me through and through, and I'm incredulous at the plausibility of such a relationship. I have so many issues with their relationship, I don't even know how to start.

The next portion of the review may contain spoilers!

For convenience of the review, I shall refer to the gay p
Nanna Sander
Heart-breaking and a unhealthy love/lack there of.

In just 12 pages, it intrigued me, and it painted a picture of a complex situation with complex characters.

Especially the straight guy intrigued me. Is he trying to come to terms with loving his friend romantically, or is he just a douchebag stringing along his friend - and essentially dooming him for a lifetime of unhappiness?

I wish there was more, and I would really like to see this be turned in to a full lenght novel (preferably with a HEA, o
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, mm, shorty

4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

How much can you really say about a 12 page story without giving away too much? This one is just a quick glimpse into the lives of two young men, best friends for years and now in college. One is gay (aka the “GG”), the other not (aka the “SG). They both love each other, but not quite the same way. It is that love, I believe, that enables the SG to be a little flexible for his bff who, over the years, has not held anything back on letting his feelings be know
Dutchgirl
Sep 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
What did i just read?? what an asshole is the straight friend he is fucking girls and tells his gay friend about it knowing it must hurt because the gay friend is in love with the straight boy (WHY I DO NOT KNOW!!) But listen the Gay friend must stay a virgin and pine after the straight boy for all his life. Now you tell me with friends like that who needs enemies??
Sara
Stupid book.
^^^that means it made me cry^^^

I do.

The discipline and self denial of being the one who wants to be wanted by the one who can't give what is needed.
I do.

The blurred lines of platonic and romantic love and the heartache of unrequited love.
I do.

The need to keep someone in your life even if it means being ridiculously selfish to ask for what you need because you know that person will do anything for you.
I do.

I get everything this story is a
Anna Goerlitz
Is this a romance? I don't think so, and yet... The protagonist is happy at the end, even if the reader may not be... Whatever it is, it packs an emotional punch, as always with this author!
Helena Stone
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know an author is beyond talented when he can take over your mind with just 3000 words. Hours after I finished reading this story I’m still playing the ‘what if’ game, wondering what might (or might not) happen next—if anything will ever happen and whether that would be good or bad for either or both of the friends featured.

Unrequited love, or rather unrequited attraction is often beyond heartbreaking. And yet, there is no denying the two ‘boys’ in this story deeply care for each other. All
Ann
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heart-slayed, shorts
Always heed the tags with a JLT story.

Bittersweet doesn't even scratch the surface and this story is only 12 pages. But, it's a heartbreaking moment in time between two friends. One who wants and one who can't give.

Dammit Joe, you slay me every time.
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
For a super short read this one really got me. A bittersweet, touching tease that is perfectly written. My expectations are always high with JLT's works, this did not disappoint.
Enjoy this for free!
Silkeeeeeereads
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s been five days since I read this book. I told someone I had read it and I felt unsettled. I still feel unsettled. I don’t want to write spoilers, but hey, it’s a free read that you can download from this author’s website, I suggest everyone who likes M/M to check it out and see how it makes you feel. I love this author. He always makes me feel something. It’s not always comfortable, but life isn’t either.
dammit, liz
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
That sure packed an emotional punch for 12 pages. Ouch.
Lotta
Not giving this a rating. This is not friendship, nor romance. Celibacy kink, perhaps?
Fiona Warner
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking. I swear I didn’t inhale or even blink from the first word to the last! So full of angst, my heart actually hurts. Joseph has written a beautifully sad tale of unrequited lust between a gay man and his straight best friend. They love each other dearly, but not in the same way. How can the situation ever resolve itself? Read Joseph’s brilliant words to find out. Another truly excellent read from an exceptionally talented author.
Nicoletta
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
It was good, in a very messed up way. I mean, if this is not a toxic relationship, especially for the gay guy, I don't know what it is. This is not romance, nor friendship. There's nothing good, nothing healthy in this relationship.
The story, though, is written very well, because I felt all the anguish and the hopelessness of the main character.
But really, if someone finds themselves in this kind of relationship, they should run away as fast as possible.
Bev
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to JLT for this teeny, tiny freebie but it certainly wasn't my favourite of the stories I've read by him; Grif's Toy and it's sequel Wes' Denial are a completely different kettle of fish however.

I wasn't impressed by the 'Stockholm Syndrome' type thrall the straight best friend had over his gay bestie [the guy who was in love with him, and had been for some years. Not a secret], and to insist that GG [gay guy] didn't give his virginity up to anyone before he was 'given' permission just s
BB
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the inspiration behind this short story, but it’s truly heartbreaking.
It’s hard to read because I empathize with the one who’s so in love, you want him to standup for himself and move on from him. On the other hand I want to get angry at the other guy for being so selfish and damn manipulative, but they’re both in that situation because they choose to be. So who am I to judge..

How can JLT put so much feels in just a few pages?! Because he’s that good, that’s why!
booklover
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! OK, so, this has left me not just wanting but NEEDING more!
It was such a brilliantly beautiful short read that makes you think. It leaves you questioning not just both characters but also yourself, too, wondering if you'd be able to do/be like, either character.
Pure brilliance and definitely, Pleasure by denial!!
Joseph Tonlet
Oct 13, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Download Option Links:
Author's Website
Smashwords

Zakarrie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exquisite.
I could have written reams more - and said far less - to encapsulate the agony and ecstasy weaved within the words of this story. Stunning.
Pierre
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sad and short but gripping
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph is a born and raised Southern Californian—with a twenty-year stint of living in the Midwest. He loves the laid-back lifestyle of San Diego and considers himself lucky to live where people dream of vacationing.

A lifelong reader of m/m fiction, he began his writing career one night sitting at his MacBook and has never looked back. He writes to bring the characters he dreams about to life.

Visi