Start by marking “Elvish (The Elvish Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elvish (The Elvish Trilogy, #1)

Elvish

(The Elvish Trilogy #1)

It's against the law for elves and humans to fall in love. But laws can be broken.

When Venick is caught wandering the elflands, he knows the penalty is death. Desperate, he lies about his identity in hopes the elves will spare his life.

Ellina doesn't trust the human, and not merely because he speaks the language of men. Men lie. In elvish, however, lying is impossible.
Published October 14th 2018 by Summerhold Publishing (first published October 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Elvish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvish

Start your review of Elvish (The Elvish Trilogy, #1)
S.G. Prince
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Elvish follows the story of the human Venick and an elf named Ellina who seem, at first, to be enemies. Ellina is sworn to kill any human who wanders into the elflands, but surprisingly (and for reasons we later uncover), when she discovers Venick on the wrong side of the border, she chooses to let him live.

When I wrote Elvish, I wanted a story that combined the best of fantasy and romance. I wanted twists and intrigue, but I also wanted a plot that was heavily character-driven. It's what I
Jerecho
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
As I been reading the reviews, I was wondering what's in this book? As the synopsis say it's about forbidden love, magic, fate and choices.

It's a good read. The story is spontaneous, some banters are humorous and quite an adventure. It was like reading that you know what will happen next but ends up somewhere.

Choices are difficult but sometimes we have to it. Because at the end, our decision yesterday makes the future of tomorrow.
Katy Hardy
Edit: I've read Elvish twice now, and just to help those of you who are undecided, (firstly, READ THIS BOOK) but second, I just wanted to say that you'll love this book if you love:

- Beautiful writing
- A strong female lead (without being overdone)
- Character-driven plot
- An unpredictable twist (actually there are two)
- Really well developed characters

Okay, that's all! :)

The description for this book was what first definitely had me intrigued, and I'm glad to say I really loved this one! I
Frank
Shelves: fantasy
This book is really good. There were some parts near the end I maybe felt like I just had to get through, but overall I'd recommend giving it a go. Despite the fact that there are elves, this isn't anything like LOTR. It's high-fantasy but like in the "softer" range, so if you like books with some fantasy but not too much (if that makes sense), this is a good in-between. It's called a romantic fantasy, but the romance doesn't overpower the story. I mean, yeah, the main characters do spend a lot ...more
Dana
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I'm in awe. I loved every part of this. Venick and Ellina. Gahhh. I wish book two was out already, can't wait for it!
Unabridged Bibliophile
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-reads, 2019
2.5 stars. This was very slow and I felt like not enough happened.
Lori C
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic-fantasy
In love. Insane. Dourin tilted his hands back and forth as if balances on a scale. Same difference.

Romantic, surprising, politically intriguing, and with a dash of magic too! This book certainly grabbed my attention. I could only ask for a bit more pace, which is where I expect this is going. I'll have to come back to see.
Gergana
Jul 15, 2019 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me
Finished all of it, despite being extremely romance-heavy. I loved the first half, but it gradually became a generic soap opera, where characters fail to TALK TO EACH OTHER and therefore we get a ton of misunderstandings and slow pacing. I can't believe how many times do we have to get characters hating each other due to lack of communication. Despite the creative setting and politics, this ended up being one of the most predictable books for me this year. What I'm trying to say is - I dislike ...more
Areli Amaya
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come.
I just wanted to say I can't believe people are not talking about this! It was insanely good.
Venick thought he was ready for death's embrace, that is, until he is found roaming the forbidden elflands and realizes life is not something he is willing to let go of. In his desperation, he lies about who he truly is hoping the elves will spare his life.
Ellina does not believe nor trust the human. It's simple: humans are born liars. In elvish, however, it's impossible to lie, so
Wiola Myszkowska
Feb 27, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
I really rooted for this one but it has so many world and character building issues, I wouldnt even know where to start. Hope next book will fix them. ...more
Netanella
The ending was completely unexpected for me, but oh, so good. I haven't read a real, true-to-life fantasy romance in a long time. And elvish-human pair, forbidden love, lies, betrayals, murder, secrets. Plus, you know, lovely lovely fantasy on an epic scale. I look forward to reading book two.
Misty
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I won an e-copy of this book from Goodreads and I am SOOOO glad because it was so good! I can NOT wait for book #2 to come out.

✔Elves
✔Romance
✔Plot-twist
✔Badass female lead character

Yes. Read this book. Venick, Ellina and Dourian are my favs! Well written with a plot that was perfectly developed and a plot-twist that you do NOT see coming. I love unpredictable books and this is definitely one.
Billie Flaming
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting. I wasnt expecting that ending, but here we are.
The notion that one cannot lie in the language of elves is not a new one, but I have to say that I really did like how much was stressed on this rule of language. The characters were distinct, and I liked how the characters were mostly able to puzzle through the events that surrounded them. Decent chemistry, even if Id have liked to know more of the secondary characters.
Kasey Marie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prepare to be completely engulfed in the world of Elvish.

From the very beginning the author does an incredible job at setting the scene and making it so easy to see her vision and her settings.

Elvish is a fantasy story told from a split POV between main characters Venick and Ellina. Venick, a human man, is struggling with banishment from his home for falling in love with an elf. A crime among both of their people. He is desperately seeking a way to redeem himself in the eyes of his mother and
Chanel
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
****4.25 stars****

This is my first read by this author and it may even be her first book but I quite enjoyed it.

Elvish is a wonderfully, refreshing fantasy tale that involves rich storytelling, action, darkness, romance, confusion, anger and above all lying; lots and lots of lying.

Venick is a human who has been in exile for years. He's also starving. So he ventures into Northern elf territory to find food, stumbles upon a mama bear and a bear trap and gets caught in it. Ellina and her troop
Adriadne LeFox
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eh

It was a little hard to get into and keep my interest. I think the only reason I finished was because I'm stubborn. The male main character is a bit too "woe is me, the world is out to get me" for my tastes amd the female... Too predictable.
Mike Prince
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author provided me an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed the story and this isnt even a genre I typically read. I highly suggest checking this one out! ...more
Shelby  P
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A slow burn forbidden romance with Elves? That was my jam. Cant wait for the sequel. ...more
Sam
Mar 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: new-horizingo
This book was read as part of a "read a book you dnf'd previously" prompt. If you look at my dnf list you'll see that my options were extremely limited so I went with the one that I thought I would be able to get through the quickest and with the least amount of pain.

If I'm being completely honest, there's nothing overly wrong with Elvish, it just really didn't work for me. I didn't connect with the characters, their motives, the world, anything. I don't generally tend to enjoy reading books
Garth Mailman
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Limited number of themes available when it comes to romance. This storyline seems to be a riff on Romeo and Juliet however here the female is in the power position. Elves and humans are mortal enemies in this fantasy series. Vanick is trapped and wounded but rather than leave him to die or finish him off Ellina nurses him back to health even though the act puts her life at risk with her own people.

Alas this book is only the first of planned trilogy the second volume yet to be published. The
Maria Mason
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book!! It has a very unique type of composition and design to the world and story. Can't wait for the next one to come out!
John Mason
Vikash Kathirvel
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book. Highly engaging, but not skimping on character development either. The female protagonist Ellina is a very well written character, she is a badass, and we know she is without the prose having to mention it a thousand times like in some other books I have read. The male protagonist Venick is not as well written, but he is quite interesting in his own right.

Most first books in a fantasy series, take some time to build the world, the magic system and flesh out
Nina DuBois
Elvish has to be one of the most amazing books I have ever read. I was so consumed in this world, the characters, and the mysterious plot. I was so lost in this story. The last 40% of this book had me completely losing my mind. My nerves were completely shot and I swear I was going to have a heart attack.

What I loved about Elvish is the world. Humans and elves are separated and rarely mingle together and definitely don't interfere in each other's affairs. So When Venick is caught on Elves land
Katelyn
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, what a gripping tale (as in me, through a sleepless night, literally gripping my Kindle so damn hard I was close to breaking it or one of my fingers! Boy, I did not expect this story to do this to me!)!

I found Elvish for 99 cents on Kindle, and I scooped it up immediately after reading the very first page of the preview. Its not often that a book hooks me that quickly. I will gladly be ordering a hardcopy for my bookshelf soon.

The writing is incomplex and easy-to-digest, which makes for a
Lee Zagrzebski
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elvish was a fresh take on elves. The writing was poetic and repetitive, which I enjoy but other may not. That said, the book suffered some pacing issues; there just wasn't enough story. A good analogy would be going out to a gourmet restaurant where you receive absolutely beautiful and delicious dishes, but each plate has very little food on it. You might enjoy every single bite but feel unsatisfied and far from full. That is how I would describe Elvish.

"Reeking Gods"- Used once, twice, or
Rose
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ultimate Fantasy

Took me two days to read this. Very well written and an amazing story line. S.G. Prince is defiantly in my top ten of favorite authors now. Cannot wait for the second book!
Justin
"Ellina reminded Venick that the world was not divided into citizens and outlaws. She reminded him what it felt like to fight for someone and to be fought for. What it was to live."

'Elvish' is the debut title from author S.G. Prince. It is (I believe) a self published book that you can find on Kindle Unlimited, and I will be the first to tell that I was happy that I did. At its core, 'Elvish' is a fantasy novel with heavy romance themes and political intrigue that is played throughout the
Adina
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Elvish a high fantasy centered on the relationship between a man and an elf is a beautiful surprise. Yes, it could have been even better, but the book is quite an accomplished first novel and I really hope to see improvements in the sequels.

In my opinion, some of the books best traits are its main characters - extremely likable (especially Venick) and well-built as well as its take on the elven world. Finally, a book that gets it, I said to myself as I sailed through the first pages, happily
Apercu Books
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book could not have come at a better time. I was recently in a reading rut but Elvish yanked me right out of it. I was not expecting much when I picked it up but I fell in love. Prince grips my attention from the beginning and holds it all the way through to the end. Impressive, considering a large portion of the book is a journey story. Journey stories are like a double edged sword. Told correctly, they allow the reader to learn the world and the characters organically. Told incorrectly, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
  • Rogue (Shadow Brigade #1)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance, #1)
  • Silver Wolf (The Sworn Saga Book 2)
  • No Man Can Tame (The Dark-Elves of Nightbloom, #1)
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Path of a Novice (The Silvan, #1)
  • The Makings of a Warrior (The Sylvan Chronicles, #4)
  • Rise of the Shadows (Shadow Brigade #2)
  • The Dragon God Saga (The Wood Cutter's Son)
  • The Fire Lord's Lover (The Elven Lords, #1)
  • Twilight Seeker (Daybreaker, #1)
  • Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)
  • Reaper's Blood (The Grimm Brotherhood, #1)
  • Road of a Warrior (The Silvan, #2)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
Sarah is a native Floridian living in Seattle, Washington with her husband and their two fluffy pups. She spends most of her time writing, traveling, cooking, playing around with photography and reading.

Sarah's debut novel Elvish is the first book in her fantasy series.

For more information on releases, ARCs, giveaways and exclusive content, sign up for her newsletter at http://sgprince.com/

You can

The Elvish Trilogy (3 books)
  • Elder (The Elvish Trilogy, #2)
  • Ember (The Elvish Trilogy, #3)