Start by marking “Fieldnotes on Ordinary Love” as Want to Read:
Fieldnotes on Ordinary Love

Fieldnotes on Ordinary Love

Fieldnotes on Ordinary Love is a collection whose poems approach family, politics, and romance, often through the lens of space: the vagaries of a relationship full of wonder and coldness, separation and exploration. There is the sense of the speaker as a cartographer of familiar spaces, of land he has never left or relationships that have stayed with him for years, and ...more
Published April 19th 2019 by Copper Canyon Press

To ask other readers questions about Fieldnotes on Ordinary Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fieldnotes on Ordinary Love

Start your review of Fieldnotes on Ordinary Love
Aricka Foreman
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wilson is a poet with boundless imagination. Love poems-in the truest sense-that ache with rigor and intimacy and should be required reading when we talk about how contemporary poetry stretches beyond the margins.
Emily
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I feel like I’m bad at reading poetry- it’s hard to focus and remember the experience afterwards. I lose the thread, read the words but don’t connect fully

Nonetheless, this is a strong collection. It touches on the Black experience, love in different contexts, loss, and mythology. The Minotaur poems made me think of Guy’s son, Sonny, on Bojack Horseman
Alyse Bensel
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection has force--a driving central push around connection and love that interweaves Biblical and Greek imagery with grounded visceral experience.
Emily
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I felt like I was on a bad first date the entire time I was reading this. Couple decent lines but with every poem, I became more sure this was not for me. On the plus side, his use of the word “raisin” as a verb did lead to a debate among a couple friends.
Ianna Chia
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
an exploration of love, science, racism, family— the language is clean and empowered, and some poems left me stunned and sighing.

favourite poems
- aubade to collapsed star
- 6:45p.m.
- a unified theory
- asterism
- a short list of grievances
- i find myself defending pigeons
- string theory
- heliocentric
Jessica | Booked J
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram

Review originally posted here to Booked J. As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way. "Loving is misnomer, because you are expected of your heart's opinion on a sentence that is never completed, even as you are having it. Nothing must be more free than the feeling of the right to leave."

Poetry is the most intimate form of expressing our thoughts. The good, the
Kelsey  May
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Fieldnotes on Ordinary Love" (Copper Canyon Press, 2019) is, in my opinion, very underappreciated. It’s three months old and I’ve not seen a single gushing post, share, or write-up on it, which is a damn shame, as it’s easily in my poetry top five for 2019. Keith S. Wilson’s debut is graceful and gripping, descending into territory of Greek myths, racial tumult, and birds. The highest praise I can offer for "Fieldnotes" is that I want to write like Keith after reading it.

I finished this
Melinda
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, poetry, print
I took my time reading this one, a collection pondering race and love. It was in many ways the most challenging volume for this relatively new poetry reader, but also one of the most rewarding. I feel as though this one needs multiple readings, and I'm more than willing to put the time in for a second (and third...) reading in the future.
Neyda
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deeply touching! I read each poem multiple times. The best way to read this collection is out loud.
sydney
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
didn't love it, didn't really hate it either. however;
>Who could love you like this? Who else will sew you in the stars?
Anna

• Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth
  • An American Sunrise: Poems
  • Come on All You Ghosts
  • Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism
  • When Life Hands You Lemons...: ...and other trite bullshit we tell ourselves to get through cancer.
  • The Unpassing
  • Enemies in Love: A German POW, a Black Nurse, and an Unlikely Romance
  • Welcome to the Goddamn Ice Cube: Chasing Fear and Finding Home in the Great White North
  • Nightingale