Start by marking “Girls & Boys” as Want to Read:
Girls & Boys

Girls & Boys

When they met at an airport, it was love at first sight. But in time, everything collapsed. As an unnamed but unforgettable woman muses on her life – from meet cute to marriage and parenthood – her recollections inexorably build to a devastating truth. In this shattering performance, Carey Mulligan, star of the critically lauded drama An Education, captivates audiences wit ...more
Audiobook
Published June 27th 2018 by Audible Studios (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Girls & Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls & Boys

Amy Bartol
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to Girls & Boys as an audiobook read by Carey Mulligan. (It's more accurate to say she "acted it out"--it was performed by Carey Mulligan because I could visualize every word she said.) I first listened to the sample, which was, quite possibly, the funniest snippet of an audiobook I've ever heard--and spot on as far as human nature goes...so I bought it, not really reading what this play was about. To be honest, it was Carey Mulligan that attracted me to the monologue. I saw her f ...more
Dem
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dem by: Sonja, and Tania
Shelves: audible, recommended
What an amazing piece of theatre. The performance by Carey Mulligan really is stunning and thought provoking and what a wonderful way to experience theatre without having to leave the comfort of your own home and it was free for Audible Subscribers

I suggest if you are going to listen to this production that you take the 1 hour and 40 minutes, sit down and give this your full attention with no interruptions as if you were sitting in a theatre.

NOTE * This is a dark piece and some people might f
Tomas Howells
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Chrissie
I am reviewing the Audible Original version of the Off-Broadway play Girls & Boys starring BAFTA Award winner and Academy & Tony Award nominee Carey Mulligan. The play was written by playwright Dennis Kelly in 2016.

I went into the performance knowing very little. I recommend others to do the same. I struggled at the beginning and have come out applauding. At the beginning, I struggled with the excessive use of swear words. I struggled to feel empathy. I struggled to relate and then slowl
Erin
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Performed by Carey Mulligan. Directed by Lyndsey Turner 1:46:24
One of the Audible Original selections for September, this was one heck of a devastatingly beautiful performance of the evolution of one couple's relationship. Carey Mulligan is IMHO a brilliant actress that nails every role she takes on and Girls &Boys is no different. It's worth your time, but make sure vulnerable ears are not around as there is strong language and a horrific situation that occurs.
Sonja Arlow
WOW I was blown away by this play.

I have been struggling with audio books lately, not finding enough time to really listen for long stretches, so this was perfect. Short, powerful and attention grabbing.

Carey Mulligan you were a fantastic narrator!

The story may start off on a light and funny note, but it turns a dark corner quite quickly. The less you know the better, just dive in.
Dannii Elle
I read the transcript for this extraordinary piece of one-person theatre and was spellbound from the very first page and left open-mouthed on the very last. The entire piece is one extended monologue, and as the female talks her audience through the details of her life the sickening details are slowly unfurled with a deadly precision and perfection of timing that left my both spellbound and horrified.
Tatiana
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, plays
Wonderfully performed by Carey Mulligan. Became a bit of a lecture in the end.
Tania
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was absolutely awe-inspiring!

The performance by Carey Mulligan was incredible. I was captivated from word one, and I actually wished for more traffic, so I could finish this almost 2 hour audible play.

I would never have known about this play if not for the fact that audible now gives us the option to choose two free audible originals every month. Be prepared for an intense roller coaster ride - while listening to this you will experience many emotions, but boredom will certainly not be one
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2018, audiobook
Carey Mulligan is amazing, and performs this one-woman play on the stage as well. The playwright at the end talks about the small changes they made to make it work for audio. She is great, the subject matter is difficult, and the topic of violence toward women and children was just not really what I needed another reminder of this weekend.
Krissy
This was utter perfection. I'm deeply moved and a lot emotional right now. Carey Mulligan was AMAZING. Probably one of the best narrations I've ever listened to.
Nancy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, plays
Unforgettable....play that has just started
a its run in the West End.

It is just one actress…telling her story.
Carey Mulligan is on the stage alone for 90 minutes
..in Dennis Kelly's new play at The Royal Court Theatre London
This must surely win an Olivier Award this year!
Review

BAM The Bibliomaniac
Audiobook #209

Wow! Just blown away
The monologue was superb done by Cate Mulligan
And no I did not see that coming
Siv30
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play, domestic-life, women
"remember that this did not happen to you, and that it is not happening now."

אחד הספרים החזקים שקראתי מעולם וקראתי די הרבה ספרים בימי חיי הקצרים כך שאמירה כזו בוודאי אומרת משהו.

מדובר למעשה במחזה, מונולוג של אישה. הוא מטעה בתחילתו, היא נשמעת משעשעת, צינית. מהר מאוד האווירה הופכת אפלה , קורא מבין שמשהו רע מאוד מתגבש מול עיניו. ואכן ככל שהמונולוג מתקדם הקורא מבין שהוא נקלע לקטסטרופה. טרגדיה קולוסלית שוברת לב.

אי אפשר לספר הרבה על התכנים מבלי לספיילר, אז לאלו שלא מעוניינים לקרוא ספויילרים רק אומר שהמ
Janet
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning! Unbelievable performance by Carey Mulligan. I received this Audible original free from Audible and was prepared for something mediocre....what a surprise. If you have an Audible account, you must listen to this right now!

This was written as a stage play, a monologue by a woman who has been a victim of domestic violence....it is absolutely chilling and made me replay my own life and how things could have taken a wrong turn and had disastrous results.
Amina
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good God!! Good God!! Good GOD!!!
This was brilliant!
That's all I have to say!
Kelly ...
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This play was stunning, shocking, sad and unforgettable. Carey Mulligan was riveting. I loved the quiet way she handled the material. I love the little moments in which Kelly had the woman break the fourth wall and speak directly to the audience. And that little warning where she reminds me that what I was afraid was coming is actually coming, but also provides the trigger warning and then says to me that I need to remember it isn't happening to me and isn't happening now... that moment dev ...more
Philip
4.5ish stars.

Great audiobook production with narration by Carey Mulligan.
Kelsey Harrington
When I heard that Carey Mulligan was reviving her performance of this play in NYC, I was desperate to go. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make the trip work but I lucked out with the release of this audiobook.

I hold the belief that Carey Mulligan is a singular, phenomenal talent. She really brings this play to life, so that even listening from my desk I could easily visualize her moving around the stage. This play had me breathless on the edge of my seat, completely wrapped up in the story she was tel
Harry McDonald
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, read-in-2018
One of my top 2 plays of the year. A monologue about the relationships between men and women, about the family, about violence, about control... You can't say what it's 'about' without spoiling the whole damn thing. But it's brilliant. Honest.

More: https://harryrmcdonald.wordpress.com/...
Brooke
This was... different.

The last 30% was where it really picked up for me.

Excellent narrative for this put together by audible.
Belles
Boring. At least it was a free audiobook.
Joanie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not so much a book as it is a monologue that has been adapted to be an audible book read by Carey Mulligan. Damn! She should win some sort of award for what she did with Dennis Kelly's words. I was sick to my stomach before I even finished this series of stories. So powerful! I don't know how to describe it without giving too much away, but it is worth listening to the monologue as well as Dennis Kelly talk about it at the end. Fabulous.
Nicole D.
Audible has this new thing where you get two free audible originals each month. Last month one of those was this play by David Kelly. It was so good.

A one person show performed by Carey Mulligan, the performance was brilliant. The topic relevant, interesting, sad, harsh. Well worth the listen.
Jessica Frances
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I basically chose this because of Carey Mulligan. I knew she wouldn't have attached herself to this if it didn't mean something to her. And after hearing it, I can see why she agreed to do this. It was sometimes sweet, sometimes funny, and always brutally honest. Then it became twisted and dark. I loved the way Carey acted out the story, her voice was mesmerizing and the story itself was incredibly well written. I know this won't be for everyone, but I personally really connected to this. I know ...more
Jana
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Carey Mulligan.

Oh my. This a stunner of a listen.

Audible original of a play that is entirely a one woman monologue. I’m not going to be okay.
Bethany Ames
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This is so not what I thought it would be. I know the reviews said “there will be a huge twist” and “the ending is violent” I honestly didn’t think it would be this. This story is full of many twists and a lot of heartache and in the end you’re just left stunned as you try to reconcile everything that has happened. I don’t think any other narrator could have pulled off the level of sass and sadness and anger as well as Carey Mulligan does.
Joyce
I suppose one could read this monologue, but, really, why would you. It's written to be heard--and Cary Mulligan's performance is simply stunning. She adopts a working-class British accent to portray the unnamed protagonist. In an airline queue in Naples, she meets a man she considers to be perfect, one who encourages her to follow her dreams. And she dreams big with family and success as a documentary filmmaker—until it all falls apart. Written by Tony-award winning playwright, Dennis Kelly, th ...more
Aerin
Carey Mulligan is spectacular.
Lauren
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is more of a Play than a Book. It’s very interesting but also very weird at the same time. I think maybe it’s a good read regarding Domestic Violence, not that anyone necessarily wants to read about that but it’s an interesting insight into how that can come about in a seemingly ordinary family. I wish there was a bit more detail for some of the stories told within this play but overall I think it was well done. It’s a VERY quick read too.
Play Book Tag: Girls and Boys - Dennis Kelly 5/5 3 17 Oct 20, 2018 07:34PM
THEATRE INCLUDES: Debris (Theatre503/BAC); Osama the Hero (Hampstead); After the End (Paines Plough/Traverse/The Bush/UK and international tour); Love and Money (Young Vic/Royal Exchange); Taking Care of Baby (Hampstead/Birmingham Rep); Orphans (Paines Plough/Traverse/Birmingham Rep/Soho). Plays for young people include: DNA (National Theatre) and Our Teacher is a Troll (National Theatre of Scotla ...more
“We did not create societies for men, we created them to stop men.” 3 likes