Start by marking “Lima :: Limón” as Want to Read:
Lima :: Limón

Lima :: Limón

In her striking second collection, Natalie Scenters-Zapico sets her unflinching gaze once again on the borders of things. Lima :: Limón illuminates both the sweet and the sour of the immigrant experience, of life as a woman in the U.S. and Mexico, and of the politics of the present day. Drawing inspiration from the music of her childhood, her lyrical poems focus on the ...more
Published May 21st 2019 by Copper Canyon Press (first published May 14th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Lima , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lima

Start your review of Lima :: Limón
Maddie
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
These poems are unflinchingly brutal, a mirror to the violence that the author aims to portray.

Tackling themes of gendered violence in latinx communities, Lima :: Limón is a case study of women and girls experiences growing up in a sexist society, where machismo is inherited and taught to both boys and girls as stereotypes to follow to the letter: girls should be pure, the perfected mirrored image of Virgin Mary (“I / want to correct all that prevents me from becoming divine, appear to every man
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
i need to like. lay down for a while. goddamn.
In an exploration of womanhood, and the ugliness that exists within that concept, Natalie Scenters-Zapico delivers a collection that is at once defiant and real. The sophomore poet explores not just womanhood, but the binary in which girls and women reside in, never allowed to live in the area between girlhood and womanhood.

The author’s usage of nursery rhymes brings back memories of childhood games and the notion of innocence, defying the
Emily Polson
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, arc, spanglish
I think I need to sit with this for a while before I write a review, but wow. This was excellent.

[I received a review copy from the publisher via Edelweiss.]
Jimena
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blown away by Natalie Scenters-Zapico’s use of words and images. She writes with such brutal, daring, and tender honesty. I am going to revisit this collection as much as I revisit her first collection.

Excerpt from poem “You Are a Dark Body”

“ A man / lies down in bed next to you. He swallows your dark body / of water & gives you a woman’s body, a body you’ve never known ./ As a woman, you receive sores from him & through/ the sores you breaths & despite the sores you give birth /
Brenna Gomez
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
An intense and beautiful collection on gender and violence on both sides of the border. The examination of machismo and marianismo was refreshing to see, especially as a Latina reading this book. Silence is so present in gendered violence, but these poems say the difficult things even as the speaker in the poems makes difficult choices as all women in violent relationships do. I appreciated that characters in the poems always remind the speaker that she could have it worse: she could be a ...more
Caitlin
In a forceful, fierce, lyrical collection of borderlands poetry, Natalie Scenters-Zapico interrogates place, identity, womanhood, and meanings and constructions of masculinity, or, in one of several titles to appear more than once, Macho :: Hembra. The exploration is often brutal, unstinting in its depiction of violence and grief. Threads of magic run alongside the violence, and every poem is a defiance, a refusal to cede voice to those with power.

Lima :: Limón is fierce and unstinting, a
Brandon Amico
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow. This is one of the most scorching, powerful books of poetry I’ve read in awhile, and I already know it’s one I’m going to return to often. Poems of violence, gender, hope, anger, borders, cruelty and tenderness—here is the violence we do to each other laid out for us to reckon with.

Scenters-Zapico has such a talent for imagery and language that at once gently unsettles you at the same time it blasts you out of your seat. That is to say, you may return to where you were sitting before
Jeimy
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection of poetry that delves into the subjects of womanhood, gender, and cultural identity.

Though I read the ARC, I purchased the audiobook after it was published and listened to that as well. I enjoyed the book more than the audio. The narrator's heavily accented Spanish distracted me from the poems themselves.

I can't separate the two experiences and perhaps the rating suffered from it.
Crystal
A visceral and defiant poetry collection on growing up with gendered violence being normalized and the brutal path that strict gender roles in deeply patriarchal societies can take. My standout favorite of the recent Copper Canyon press ebook releases though the three I've read so far have all been excellent.

These are the stories told in my family, much more so than another recent (Latino) book I recently attempted and gave up on.
Alyse Bensel
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I'm hesitant to use the word, brutal comes to mind in this collection that centers on the violence done to women, and the tendency for societies to ignore it. There is urgency and immediacy to this book, which is getting much rightfully deserved attention. "I swear // I've died. I swear I was born // dead again."
Robin
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
Just going to mimic many of the other reviews on this collection: I just need to sit down for a while. Every poem is a gut-punch. I like to mark the poems that especially stand out to me in collections, but I found myself adding a star to almost every poem in this collection. Just a big, gut-punchy oof all around.
Caroline
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Brutal, but honest. This collection can be difficult to read at times. I think I would benefit from a re-read to pick up on more of the patterns, but it’s definitely a strong, cohesive collection.
Jessica
“I learned to read by sounding out the names / in obituaries of those who had died. There were / so many people I could never finish / the section before leaving for school. / Six women are murdered a day. / Obituaries: / proof you can only die once.” —From poem “Aesthetic Translation”
Shawn  Aebi
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Strong offering with intense representation of la vida de macho y hembra. These pieces twist and turns with surprising/shocking discoveries along the way.
Ben VonArchimboldi
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why haven’t you already bought this book? What’s wrong with you?
kirsten
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
damnit to shit.
Emily Pérez
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Josue Rodriguez
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A collection of thoughtful, emotionally heightening poems on the latin-american woman experience.

Some great passages here.
Stephen Byrne
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful collection.
Rosario Martinez
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-read. Every time I turned the page I kept nodding my head in agreeance, in anger and frustration because there are so many truths that hurt but motivate to keep speaking your truth to stand up for what you believe in. This book is amazing! I felt Natalie's words are so daring, so real they stand out and stay with you. This collection is a must because it sheds light on the injustices that come our way when we are young and well into womanhood, with resilience and bravery that exists in ...more
alexis
Oct 07, 2019
Marisa Romano
Jan 03, 2020
Julian BLOWER
rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2019

• Eyes Bottle Dark with a Mouthful of Flowers
  • Oceanic
  • The Carrying: Poems
  • Eye Level: Poems
Natalie Scenters-Zapico is from the sister cities of El Paso, Texas, U.S.A. and Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, México. She is the author of The Verging Cities, which won the Great Lakes Colleges' Association New Writers Award, the National Association of Chicana/o Studies Poetry Award, and was featured as a top ten debut by Poets and Writers (June 2015). A 2015 CantoMundo fellow, her poems have ...more
“ভালো কঙ্কাল
বাড়িমালিক একবালতি কাচবার কাপড় এনে বলল
তোর গায়ের রঙ পরিষ্কার হয়ে যাবে তাড়াতাড়ি।
ও দেশের মেয়েকে ঝাঁকুনি দিয়ে বলল, তোদের হাড়
খাটুনির জন্য বেশ শক্তপোক্ত । দেশের মেয়ে, আমরা কি
এই জায়গাটা সুন্দর করে তুলতে পারি ?
আমি এই জায়গাটা সুন্দর করে তোলার চেষ্টা করেছি ।”
0 likes
আর কখনও শুতে দেবে না । তুমি তোমার দেহের পাথরের বিছানার জন্যে
কাঁদো যা জলের অভাবে মরুভূমি হয়ে গেছে ।

আমার মুখের ভেতরে একটা পাখি আছে
আমি ওটা তোমার পেটে খুঁজে পেলুম, আর ধরলুম
দুই আঙুল দিয়ে । পাখিটাকে রাখলুম”
0 likes