Start by marking “Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry” as Want to Read:
Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry

Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry

An electrifying new thriller from “Queen of Suspense” Mary Higgins Clark!

When investigative journalist Gina Kane receives an email from a “CRyan” describing her “terrible experience” while working at REL, a high-profile television news network, including the comment “and I’m not the only one,” Gina knows she has to pursue the story. But when Ryan goes silent, Gina is shock
Published November 5th 2019 by Simon Schuster

Start your review of Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
Julie
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Kiss the Girls and Make them Cry by Mary Higgins Clark is a 2019 Simon & Schuster publication.

Gina Kane, an investigative reporter, is onto to a good story- she feels it in her bones. After being contacted by a woman who claims she had a terrible experience while working for REL, a TV news network and suggests she wasn’t the only one, Gina begins to follow up on the story. But she learns the woman who sent her the email has died in a terrible jet ski accident while on vacation.

REL counsel, Mik
Kay Griffin
People - PLEASE don't rate books you haven't read! This site has enough trouble with legitimacy.
Cindy Thorsen
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book but the ending felt rushed. I would have enjoyed a little more detail about what happened.
Sara
Nov 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I made it 85 pages kids.

85 dull as dirt, utterly boring, plodding, pointless pages in which nothing happened. Reading those 85 pages felt like when I was seventeen and trying to slog my way through Heart of Darkness (incidentally the one and only time I resorted to Cliff's Notes for a school assignment).

Some woman who was about to expose some guy for sexually harassing her is maybe murdered (she was murdered) before she can expose him. Some really, really terrible freelance journalist thinks it
Selah Pike
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Where was the suspense? Why was there so much product placement? Why were all the secondary storylines just opportunities for Clark to express her opinions on modern society? And don’t get me started on the resolution 🙄
Kirsten
I am becoming very fond of Mary Higgins Clark. This book is her foray into the #MeToo generation. And a well crafted book it is too.

I was following the plot from twist to twist and wondering where certain threads would lead. I did pretty much figure out whodunnit, but it was an enjoyable journey.
Heather
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
My first time reading any work by Mary Higgins Clark, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I will definitely try more of her books. Let me know if anyone has any recommendations on what I should check out next.
Eunice Brownlee
Nov 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Katie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 🌟. This was a very hard book to get into, with bland writing and such a simplistic writing style I almost dnf it. The concepts this book talked about were very hard to read about and I think that it’s important that the metoo movement and sexual assault need to be talked about, I wish that it was written in a better way. The final 80 pages of the book picked up and moved the book from two to three stars. I don’t think I’ll be reading anything else by this author and I’m disappointed this was ...more
Gigi Thrasher
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, the truth is I haven’t read it yet. I’m trying so hard to save it for my Christmas vacation but it’s been sitting there since Tuesday (I preordered it LAST November bc well it’s MHC!) and it’s just taunting me. Like, you know you want to read me...Who needs a clean house? Why would you wait another month when I’m here now? Look, I’m already unwrapped. Ughhh MHC you’re messing with my mind! Lol.

I know it’ll be five stars. It’s always 5 stars. I’ve been reading her since 1989. I’ve read the
Cora
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have loved all of Mary Higgins Clark's other books but this one just wasn't the same. I still like that she doesn't use bad words or include any sex scenes, that is something I have appreciated in all her other books. This one just seemed to lack excitement and the slower parts seemed bogged down with the details that weren't that interesting or that important. I was very excited to read this book but it was just okay... which is disappointing because her other books are great. Overall, I woul ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3 STARS

Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry is an okay mystery novel. I still read Mary Higgins Clark out of loyalty and nostalgia. I have read her since my early teens. They are light mystery reads, and this one is pretty much the same.
Christie Maliyackel
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I wouldn't necessarily consider this an 'electrifying' new thriller like the description says, but it was a quick enough read. I'd actually never read anything by Mary Higgins Clark, but I've seen her name around enough to know she's a prolific writer.

Within the first few pages, I could tell by the language that this was written by someone who wasn't all too familiar with technology, apps, etc. despite trying to write from the lens of the 32-year-old protagonist. I figured the author was somewh
Darla
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This latest title from the queen of suspense is right in sync with the #MeToo movement. Women are reporting sexual harassment/abuse from a famous television news personality. As Gina Kane begins to investigate, she also finds her leads are literally dying. Part 1 of the book is from Gina's POV as she begins her investigation. Part II details the events that began two years earlier and then we catch up to real time for Part III. Both of the latter two sections of the book are from a multitude of ...more
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
Mary Higgins Clark is one of only a few authors whose work I will read without ever looking at the synopsis. She never lets me down.
Lisa Konet
For a stand-alone MHC book this is one of the better ones I’ve read. I like how the #metoo movement is incorporated into the plot but in an unexpected way and always with a lead female character.

This took a while to read because I was reading so much else at the same time. MHC will always be the author who got me really into reading.
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Mary Higgins Clark! She never disappoints and I have been reading her since her first book.
Donna
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

In New York, Gina Kane is an investigative journalist. In Part 1, she received an email from a woman who wanted to tell of her horrible experience at work. After trying with no luck to reach the emailer, Gina learns that the woman died in the last few days in a jet ski accident in Aruba. Gina travels to Aruba to investigate. She's being watched and doesn't know it.

Part II deals with 2 years prior to this death. An attorney found out about sexual misconduct in a corporation and sets hi
Neelam Babul
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I have read books by Mary Higgins Clark before and they have been great mystery stories. This is a story with a great plot but it really is not her best work.

Gina Kane is an investigative journalist. In Part 1 of the story, she receives an email from a woman wanting to tell her of a horrible experience at her workplace. After trying extremely hard with no luck in reaching the emailer, Gina learns that the woman died in the last few days in a jet ski accident in Aruba. Gina travels to Aruba to
Melody McNamara
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Rounded up to 3.5 stars. So sad that Mary Higgins Clark recently passed away.
She lived in my home state of NJ, so the settings of her stories were very familiar to me. I have read all her books, and especially enjoyed the series she wrote with Alafair Burke. Kiss The Girls and Make Them Cry was a solid story about sexual abuse in the workplace. Not much suspense until the very end, and somewhat predictable, but a quick and easy read.
Jo
Jan 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: megan-me-and-mhc
Wow, what a slog. So many pointless side plots, characters that went nowhere, events that did not contribute to the narrative... it felt like Mary was trying to hit a word count with her descriptions of how to use technology or how hotel late check out policies work. Didn't care about a single character.

Oh, and the title is super gross for a book about sexual assault. Feels like she is making light of the issue (even if that is not actually the case).
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Such a bummer. A struggle to get through. Oh well, MHC lost her husband and she gets a “bye” from me on this one - it happens. <3 ...more
Vicki Gooding
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Mary is back with one of the best books I've read in awhile. I could not put the book down. This is a must read
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Breezed through it, but it’s nothing special. I’ve read everything MHC has written and her early books are so much better. Also, maybe it’s just me, but it drives me CRAZY that MHC continues to refer to women’s pants as “slacks”. 🙄 A 32-year-old reporter in NYC in 2019 is not going to use the word “slacks”. I realize that MHC was 92 when she died, but I feel like someone—her editor maybe??—could at some point say: “Mary, no one uses the word “slacks” anymore.” 🙄 Sorry if that’s overly picky, but ...more
PWA Allen
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable story. The attention to detail is what draws me to this author's books. The background of the victims made their story more personal. There's abusive behavior, cover ups, murder, greed. Gina is an investigative writer that doesn't give up til she has the whole truth. It's sad to wonder just how many times this actually happens in real life. The author did a great job of shedding light on an ongoing problem while making it such an interesting story.
My only problem is I d
Emily
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This did not read like a Mary Higgins Clark book. She may have written the ending but the middle was definitely written by someone else. I didn’t like it, too contrived as it tried to mimic the Me Too movement.
Kathleen Brunnett
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Meh. A lukewarm mystery surrounding the #Me Too Movement theme.
Paula Brandon
Back when Mary Higgins Clark's Daddy's Gone A Hunting was released, it was clear that Mary was losing her mojo. The supposed main character was barely on page. Every chapter would introduce a new character, and their internal monologues would fly off on several different tangents, with first person thoughts and third person actions, making things confusing. Said tangents had nothing to do with the main story. I figured it was understandable: after all, Mary was in her 80s by then.

My introduction
Laurel-Rain
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When investigative journalist Gina Kane receives an email from a “CRyan” describing her “terri-ble experience” while working at REL, a high-profile television news network, including the comment “and I’m not the only one,” Gina knows she has to pursue the story. But when Ryan goes silent, Gina is shocked to discover the young woman has died tragically in a Jet Ski accident while on holiday.

Meanwhile, REL counsel Michael Carter finds himself in a tricky spot. Several female employees have come fo
Nan Williams
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once again the Queen of Suspense has knocked it out of the ballpark!

I love the way she brings current events into her stories. This one starts out with a remembrance of the Natalie Holloway murder in Aruba and hits on various other national tragedies since that happened in 2005. I also love the sensitivity she gives to the victims, both real and fictional, and their families.

The basis for this story was obviously the allegations against Roger Ailes, Chairman and CEO of Fox News, concerning sexua
Irmo Branch Libra...: Rate this book 7 9 Jun 17, 2020 08:28AM
Irmo Branch Libra...: Mary Higgins Clark - her last book 5 7 Jun 16, 2020 11:19AM
Irmo Branch Libra...: The Killer - Frederick Carlyle Jr. 8 7 Jun 16, 2020 11:07AM
Irmo Branch Libra...: Me Too Movement 3 7 Jun 16, 2020 11:06AM
Irmo Branch Libra...: Brad Matthews 7 7 Jun 11, 2020 05:42AM
Rate this book 1 2 Jun 04, 2020 05:58AM
Kiss The Girls And Make Them Cry - Gina Kane 1 2 Jun 04, 2020 05:55AM

• The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • A Very Mummy Holiday (Tourist Trap Mysteries #9.5)
  • Murder Board (Boston Crime Thriller #1)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • Takes One to Know One
  • Lost
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • Spy
  • Moral Compass
  • The Awakening (Mystere Parish, #3)
  • Scarred: The True Story of How I Escaped NXIVM, the Cult That Bound My Life
  • The Empty Nest
  • The Christmas Dare (Twilight, Texas #10)
  • Blind Search (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #2)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
The #1 New York Times bestselling author Mary Higgins Clark has written thirty-eight suspense novels, four collections of short stories, a his­torical novel, a memoir, and two children’s books. With bestselling author Alafair Burke she wrote the Under Suspicion series. With her daughter Carol Higgins Clark, she has coauthored five more suspense novels.

Clark’s books have sold more than 100 milli