Start by marking “Mädchen aus dem Moor” as Want to Read:
Mädchen aus dem Moor

Mädchen aus dem Moor

Seit man ihr gesagt hat, sie habe im Dartmoor Selbstmord begehen wollen, scheint Kath Redways Leben langsam, aber sicher in einen finsteren Abgrund zu trudeln: An den Vorfall selbst kann sie sich nicht erinnern, auch die Woche davor scheint aus ihrem Gedächtnis gelöscht. Kath glaubt, sie sei glücklich gewesen, doch verhält ihr Mann Mark sich nicht seltsam abweisend? Welche ...more
Published August 29th 2018 by Knaur eBook (first published August 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mädchen aus dem Moor, please sign up.
alireinwonderland Yes! it's a shame it ended like this, it started well!…moreYes! it's a shame it ended like this, it started well!(less)
Heather Hoping it'll come to US Kindle soon!! …moreHoping it'll come to US Kindle soon!! (less)

Start your review of Mädchen aus dem Moor
Paromjit
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again SK Tremayne presents us with an eerie, creepy and gothic psychological thriller set amidst the bleak and stunning terrain of Dartmoor in Devon. This churningly unsettling, and claustrophobic slow burning tale drips with dark atmospheric gloom with its richly detailed descriptions and peculiar locals, making me feel as if I was right there amidst the moors. Kath Redway, her good looking ranger husband, Adam and her shy and challenging daughter, Lyla, live in their remote and isolated h ...more
Pauline
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Just before I died by S K Tremayne is a dark, spooky thriller set on the moors of Dartmore.
This is a slow burning story with a little suspence.
Kate has been in a car accident and has lost some of her memory. Her husband and daughter are both acting strangely towards her and she has no idea why. There is a secret surrounding the accident and Kate has a feeling she is being watched.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Harper Collins UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Laura Rash
I was really into this for about 75% of it and then it went completely off the rails. It started Dark and creepy and went to complete absurdity that had me rolling my eyes.
Carol
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is just as good as her previous novels, [The Ice Twins] and [Fire Child]. There are large amounts of suspense and plenty of strange dark and brooding twists. It’s deliciously creepy...so that makes it just my “cuppa tea”. Make sure you have plenty of time before you get to the last few chapters because you will not be able to put it down.
Tammie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I really enjoy S.K. Tremayne’s books and this was a solid 4 stars for me. Just Before I Die is a mystery/thriller that is a highly atmospheric and detailed book. Kath lives is a desolate area within Dartmoor National Park with her husband and daughter. The story centers and Kath and a car accident-Kath was saved from the accident but wakes up with no memory of it and family members telling her that she tried to commit suicide. She knows she would never leave her daughter without a mom- so what h ...more
Nicole
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really creepy and eerie psychological thriller

I've read an S.K Treymane book before and in both books the author does a fantastic job of creating a really creepy eerie atmosphere.

I also really liked how this book focused on autism. There is a character with aspergers and either though I can't comment on how good the representation was. In my opinion from what I know about the condition, it was accurate.

This book really made me feel things. There was one particular scene that really
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
This was a strange, atmospheric read and a welcome return after the authors previous two novels which showcase their talent within this genre. I invested emotionally quite heavily in the storyline here, to the extent where I found some chapters quite draining. As such, this book took me the best part of a week to read - probably double what most other books do.

The writing pace and story development were good and I enjoyed getting to know the complexities of the lead characters. The setting was
BeccaJBooks
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was an epic last 20%!! I was going to give this 3.5 stars, until I got to the last fifth of this book, now its a solid 4 stars! That twist was insane!! I loved it!

You can tell that Tremayne has done his homework here. The Dartmoor beauty shines through the pages. So much detail, that you feel like you are there on those windswept moors, trudging through those bogs and taking in the natural beauty.

I am Devon born and bred, so when I realised this book had so much Devon in it I was de
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
THE ICE TWINS is one of the best books I have ever read and the second book Tremayne wrote, THE FIRE CHILD was also good. So. of course, I had to buy this book when it was released. I love S.K. Tremayne stories and this was not an exception. The setting, Dartmoor is perfect for a story likes this about a woman that learns that the car accident she was in may have been a suicide attempt. She's just can't remember it since she has amnesia. And why is her husband acting strange? What really happene ...more
Charybdis
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very convenient amnesia: heroine forgets exactly enough to create the mystery.
Very convenient aspergers: child remembers exactly enough to solve the mystery piecemeal.
Repeated descriptions of animal cruelty.
No explanation why they should be struggling for money: both have jobs and only one child.
Wishy-washy heroine: "I can't believe I tried to commit suicide. I'm an awful person for wanting to commit suicide. He's right for treating me this way because I'm guilty of trying to commit suicide. I d
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
Won in the Goodreads Giveaways
Chanel Lindsay
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to read this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

"It was just a patch of ice. Just a bit of bad luck. But it was nearly enough to kill Kath Redway, spinning her car into Burrator Reservoir in the beautiful Dartmoor National Park. Miraculously, Kath escapes her accident with a few bruises and amnesia. She is shocked but delighted to be back in her remote moorland farmhouse with her handsome husband, Adam, and h
Tanja Berg
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Rating 3.4*. Kath has almost died in a car accident. She is happy to be alive. However, her husband is moody and her autistic spectrum daughter Lyla is acting up. Something is definitely off kilter.

The author does a great job of setting an eerie atmosphere with mists, witches, strange sightings and stranger habits of the daughter. The book drew me in immediately - it's one of the books that reminds of why I love to read. It's the perfect escape.

The plotting is also great, for most part. The sen
Hannah
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the third book I've read by this author, and I didn't like it as much as the other two.

The writing is S.K. Tremayne's typical creepy, atmospheric style, but it was a bit slow and the twist was a little far-fetched. Some of the ending was too disturbing and a bit painful to even read.
gem
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of suspense and suspicions, this book is even more tense due to the atmospheric setting of the moors. The isolation adds to the feeling that nothing is as it seems and boy is that true when you reach the inevitable shocking twist at the end!
I really liked Kath, her amnesia made her memories of what happened interesting as you never knew if she was actually remembering the truth, and that combined with Lyla’s version of events all the more intriguing!
I also loved Tessa.
In fact, I’d say the
Mellisa
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did Kath try to kill herself - or was someone trying to kill her? Why did she leave the suicide note, even though apart from the week before the accident (which she can't remember) she was happy and content with her family? Why can she not remember what happened that day she decided to drive into the water? Why is her husband angry at her? Why is her daughter scared?

This book is good. I mean REALLY good. It had quite a spooky atmosphere that made reading it feel quite tense with the anticipatio
Rachel Hall
Just Before I Died is a slow burn psychological thriller set in the austere moorland surroundings of Dartmoor in Devon and I found the novel as bleak as the landscape. The story is repetitive, the plot not always coherent, sensitive issues from suicide to autism are poorly portrayed and the entire thing is unnecessarily graphic regarding the mutilation of animals.

Thirty-seven-year-old Kath Redway has just been released from hospital after surviving a near-fatal car accident that saw her vehicle
Megan Jones
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kath lives with her husband Adam and daughter Lyla in a desolate stone longhouse deep in Dartmoor National Park. She likes her life, the moors are beautiful, if bleak, and considers herself happy, even though they struggle with money, work and her daughter’s shyness. One day Kath wakes up from a coma, with a vague memory of a near-fatal car accident. She hugs her daughter close, likewise her husband Adam. But there is something wrong. Adam seems furious with her and Lyla is acting evermore stran ...more
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
4.5 stars. Wow, that was haunting and hauntingly beautiful.

Kath Medway slid on a patch of ice on the road into a lake on 30 December. Somehow she escaped the vehicle and swam through the icy waters and struggled out of the lake. A few weeks later her husband seems distant and angry and her daughter, who has Aspergers seems more agitated than usual. This is not happy families since mum was rescued from her accident.

Her daughter keeps insisting that she sees a man lurking and its daddy, no not dad
Eve
Psychological Thrillers / Domestic Thriller / Women's Fiction / Contemporary

I survived the accident. Now the real nightmare begins…

Kath wakes up from a coma, with a vague memory of a near-fatal car accident. Her daughter Lyla and husband Adam should be happy to see her alive but there’s clearly something wrong in their family.

I found this story repetitive, disjointed, storytelling very slow and telling, and also convenient (protagonist forgets exactly as much needed to create the mystery). A slo
Sally
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book! I had previously read The Ice Twins by the same author and had high hopes for this one too. I'm pleased to say that I wasn't disappointed by this offering.

Kath has had a car accident, which has left her with some traumatic brain injuries. In the aftermath of the incident, she starts to believe that it may not have been an accident after all. But how much of it is real and who can she trust to tell her the truth?

I love psychological thrillers and this one cleverly bui
Renita D'Silva
Brooding and atmospheric
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

I have been a fan of S K Tremayne ever since I read her debut book The Ice Twins. In fact I have been sitting on my hands waiting for this book to be released since 27/12/17!!

I was immersed in Just Before I died from the first chapter and I ended up reading over half the book in one day.

Kath was married to Adam and they had a delightful daughter called Lyla who possibly had Aspergers. Shortly after
Mary Higginson
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling Psychological Suspense.

Moody and atmospheric Just Before I Died proceeds at a slow burn gradually building up the tension and menace unit its final, terrifying conclusion.

Kath Redway has returned to the family she loves in her isolated home on Dartmoor after a horrific accident left her almost dead in a freezing river. Her memory of the events leading up to the accident is gone. Rather than being the caring, welcoming husband she knows, Adam is surly, angry and remote while the behaviou
Petra Be
I quite enjoyed this book until the last fourth or so. The ending was just strange and far-fetched. But it was a very good atmospheric read nonetheless.

It could do with some editing though - a lot of typoes, some mixed up names as well (several times!). Also why would a person who doesn't like red wine, drank red wine?
Jodie (whatjodiereads)
The only thing I didn’t like about this book was the amount of swearing in it. I understand that people swear, but this was just an unnecessary amount. Other than that, this book is flawless. The whole way through I was trying to work out what was happening but I just had no idea. There is so much suspense in this story that I was absolutely hooked. I loved S K Tremayne’s other two books, The Ice Twins and The Fire Child, so I’m so glad that I enjoyed this one. I loved all of the characters and ...more
Hoenese Ruebesch
Pure evil and ancient injustice. Gripping and fast but fell short to what I had expected.
Alyssa Smith
I hate to say this, because I loved all of the other Tremayne: this was boring. 3 stars only because the twist was unexpected - but that goes without saying, the hints and clues were so deeply buried that I was confused for a solid minute. 3 stars also because Tremayne succeeds at painting a beautifully Gothic image with his words, and makes me fall in love with everything England over and over again. His writing is stellar, without a doubt, but this story failed to reel me in, failed to capture ...more
Kisxela
This book is weird. Based on the description, it looked promising. A suicide attempt. Amnesia. To live isolated from the outside world in the swamp. A little girl who has not been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome but has all the signs. Secrets. Yes, it sounds promising. But then from the first pages it all just went down. None of the characters can be liked. Kath is like not being sane - even if we disregard amnesia because her actions, her thoughts are repulsive. They are not normal. Adam nei ...more
Jess
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I was very lucky to win this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Once I started reading this book I was hooked! I just couldn’t wait to see where the story would go next and the ending took me by complete surprise. I could never have predicted the ending.

The descriptions of Dartmoor scenes were perfect and made me feel like I was there amongst the standing stones and shiver at the bleakness. I also loved how the author wove more than one storyline together and how it all fit together. This story was l
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Your Life for Mine
  • Sleep
  • The Family Upstairs
  • You Let Me In
  • Der verschollene Professor (Flüsterwald, #2)
  • Louise (Ellen Tamm, #3)
  • Bara lite till
  • Beatrice (Charlie Lager, #3)
  • What We Did
  • Nona Grey: La trilogia
  • Do Not Disturb
  • 1794 (Bellman noir, #2)
  • Lost Lives
  • Bestraffaren
  • Someone Is Lying
  • Truth or Die (D.S. Imogen Grey, #5)
Hello! I am S K Tremayne, but my true name is Sean Thomas.

I write books where real places become menacing, and where ordinary people experience something extraordinary.

Born in Devon, I now live in London, but I travel a lot in my second job as a journalist, sometimes visiting places which inspire the books. My first S K Tremayne thriller, THE ICE TWINS, was a number one Sunday Times bestseller. T