Start by marking “Dragonfell” as Want to Read:
Dragonfell

Dragonfell

From Sarah Prineas, author of The Lost Books: The Scroll of Kings and the acclaimed Magic Thief series, comes a stunning new middle grade fantasy stand-alone novel that pits magic against modernity as factories and industry weaken the once-majestic dragons, whose fate rests in the hands of two independent young heroes.

Fly with the dragons in this new middle grade fantasy s
Published March 26th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Dragonfell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonfell

Beth
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is fine. It’s serviceable. It’s decently written, and every beat is both predictable and telegraphed, and I spent the entire book wondering if I’m a cynical has-been and children will love this, or if they, too, will find it to be a retread. I think it’s the latter. This is just so perfectly mediocre.

Also, the world is unusually small. I’ve found myself thinking that about a few children’s books recently. I don’t think it’s a trend as much as a deliberate feature (like absent parents, for
Celia McMahon
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E-arc provided by Edelweiss and HarperCollins. Thank you so much!

So, I'm a thirty-something woman who, now and again, loves her some MG fiction. Soooo, when I saw this listed, read the synopsis and got a good look at that cover, I knew I had to read it. I've been in a dragon mood lately, and this one satisfied my craving.

This story follows Rafi, who is different than other kids with his dark eyes and flaming red hair. When shifty things start happening to neighboring villages, some strange peop
Kogiopsis
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
(view spoiler)

This was charming - the kind of book I would have loved to get as a book on tape for a family road trip as a kid. It ain't world-altering, but it's fun and a fast read, and as a dragon connoisseur I quite enjoyed Prineas's variation.
Kristey
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC from the publisher and absolutely loved it!!

Such a unique and fun read! Very age appropriate as a middle school novel. Epic adventure with dragons galore!!
Joanna
This was sweet. I would have loved it when I was the age of the target audience. Instead I just liked it. I loved the goats though. LOVED THEM.
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Rafi has always been a little different, but he and his father scratch out an existence in their small village, where his father weaves cloth. When two suspicious looking characters, Gringolet and Stubb show up at their door and talk about cottages in a neighboring village being set on fire, Rafi treats it as a threat. His angers flares... and Stubb is badly burned. This brings a visit from Mr. Flitch, the owner of the biggest factory in Skarth, who claims that Rafi is "
Olivia Farr
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yabc-reviews
Full review can be found here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfic...

DRAGONFELL is a fun middle grade that addresses being different and not fitting in easily in the context of a fantasy with dragons. Rafi has always been a little different. He has trouble in school not being able to read, and his appearance is odd enough that the villagers are never quite sure of him. When some new people show up in town, they declare that Rafi is dragon-touched and must come with them.

Rafi does not want to g
Devin
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. I started watching Game of Thrones and loved it. But eventually it got to be too much for my sensitive self, and I stopped watching, but I never stopped loving the dragons or the Mother of Dragons, and yes, I know how it all turned out because I read the summaries on Wikipedia.

2. There is a picture book called Tell Me a Dragon by Jackie Morris which is not only a favorite of mine, but also a favorite of the kids at school. It shows all different varieties of dragons, including ice and sea dr
Amy
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter, fantasy
Rafi has never fit in with the other children in his village – he spends too much time at an abandoned dragon lair and just can’t seem to learn to read. When strangers threaten his village Rafi sets off on a quest to learn more about his past and the disappearing dragons. He befriends Maud, a young scientist enamored with dragons, and together they discover the evil plan to capture the power of the remaining dragons and just how different Rafi really is. This fast moving adventure story quickly ...more
Anita McDivitt Barrios
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a new-telling of an old concept, a dragon-shifting human who's unaware of his abilities.

Rafi doesn't know he's a dragon in a human boy's body, but he can reach into his father's blacksmith forge with bare hands and not burn himself, and he enjoys climbing up to the previous dragon's lair, where he hoarded blue and white china teacups, and leaning precariously over the edge.

When Rafi's accused of being dragon-touched by the evil Mister Flitch, he sets off to find real dragons and befriend
Lesley P.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It feels like flying." From the first page of this middle grade adventure book the author has us right on the edge of the fell feeling the wind lift us up.

For the middle grade child, male or female looking to discover their own unique spark of talent and a place where they belong. This book takes us on a journey of self discovery in a time when Dragons are disappearing and industry is taking over.

Highly recommended as a good read.
Deena Lipomi
Rafi wonders what happened to the dragon that used to preside over his village until a fire strikes, he is accused of being "dragon-touched," and he sets off on a journey for his own safety while learning what happened to the dragons and what he really is. This somewhat predictable middle grade novel is a good choice for dragon lovers and those seeking a light fantasy.
Charlotte
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I havered a bit between four and five stars, because I was pretty tense for a lot of the story and so couldn't actually enjoy it as much as I would have liked...but now I know how things work out, that won't be a problem when re-reading!
SBC
Just the sort of fantasy I really enjoy - well-written, fun, with an interesting plot and characters and a great pace. I'm not sure I found the resolution with the villain satisfying or convincing, but the rest was grand!
Tracey
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love dragons, and the characters in this middle grade novel do, too. And they go on an exciting adventure to find the missing dragons and warn them about an evil man. The dragons are not always what they expect, though...and neither are the protagonists. Young readers should love it!
Amanda
Why isn't this a series? Why can't I have more of this world and the characters? Let's take a moment to celebrate the strong female MC (a scientist!), and the unusual MC, and the adventures they have! Let's celebrate good and dragons and unusual hoards! Hurrah for Prineas and her books!
Danielle Benich
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely little story, so sweet.
Erin Pierce
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.
Debra
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kindle
For a kids fiction novel it kept me interested but wished that it would go more in-depth with the dragons. Overall it was an okay read.
A
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the overall flow and that there wasn't just one kind of dragon. Not a fan of Rafi's transformation, which is why it's a 3-star not more.
Eva
Yapha
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
(3.5 stars)
Interesting look at the effects of the industrial revolution on dragons. Recommended for grades 4 & up.

eARC provided by publisher via Edelweiss
Michael Arnold
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sorry For Your Loss
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • Spark
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Memory of Forgotten Things
  • The Door at the End of the World
  • Finding Orion
  • Like a Love Story
  • Maximillian Fly
  • The Secret of Zoone
  • The Prince Who Fell from the Sky
  • My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich
  • The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)
  • Transformed: The Perils of the Frog Prince (Tyme #3)
  • You Owe Me a Murder
  • Rise of the Dragon Moon
  • Cruel Fate (Cainsville, #5.6)
  • Magic, Madness, and Mischief (Magic, Madness, and Mischief #1)
Author of the Magic Thief series, the Winterling trilogy, and others.

My website: www.sarah-prineas.com

Check out the book website, http://www.magicthief.com