Start by marking “The Cynic in Extremis” as Want to Read:
The Cynic in Extremis

The Cynic in Extremis

Poetry. Finalist for the 2017 Able Muse Book Award. Eclectic characters in everyday scenarios populate Jacob M. Appel's The Cynic in Extremis. We attend a sister's second wedding with a "hand-me-down groom"; trick-or-treat with a young son; encounter a former teacher long retired, still critical; relive difficult ancestral memories of the Holocaust. Full of fun, wit and ...more
Published June 4th 2018 by Able Muse Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cynic in Extremis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cynic in Extremis

Start your review of The Cynic in Extremis
Sadie Forsythe
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable poetry with a definitive sense of place and person. And that cover is just adorable.
Andrea
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...poetry for the new millennium. This was an ARC I received from LibraryThing.

Free verse and reminiscent of the greats: Robert Hayden, Langston Hughes, Maya Angelou, etc. This poetry is filled with hard, concrete sensory details, cynicism coupled with a hope for hope. Childhood memories, school memories, first loves, current world events...it has it all. I was blown away.

My favorites, the ones that spoke to me?

1) Summer Camp Socials

2) Infidelity

3) Trick or Treating in Suburbia (wow!!!)

Alison
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is an amazing collection of poetry that focuses on the impact of people on themselves and each other. Appel beautifully portrays simple to horrific situations with grace and detail, allowing the reader to relate to the character in each poem. It combines notes of T.S. Eliot and Edgar Lee Masters in certain ways, bringing to life individuals, their pain, their fears, and their regrets. If you're looking for a lot of the feel-good poetry that is out there today, then this definitely ...more
J Earl
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Cynic in Extremis from Jacob M Appel is a wonderful collection of poems that reward rereading and pondering.

These poems, some almost like small character sketches, initially settle next to you as you read them, then they burrow into your heart and your mind. You may not love these people, you may not even like them, but you will feel something toward them. And you will find yourself understanding them better than you probably are comfortable admitting. You will also think about the poems, or
Christine
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to author, as I recieved this book as part of a giveaway on another website. This is an honest review.

Although I am not usually a poetry fan, this book appears to be an exception. Appel manages to capture the reader and express emotions in short powerful stanzas.

I would highly recommend this book.
John
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I,ve read the short stories, I’ve read one of his novels, but this was my first experience with Mr. Appel’s poetry. I am now a fan of yet another literary medium he uses to express his thoughts. Jacob M. Appel is a master of the written word, reading his works is always fascinating.

This collection of poems does get quite dark at times. There is poetry about one of the darkest periods in human history, the holocaust. This is emotional prose, it tugs at the heart strings. If you are seeking
Rubery Book Award
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shortlisted for the 2019 Rubery Book Award
Appel’s signature mark is wit, and it’s here in abundance in these poems. Appel’s language is generally direct and informal. His speakers are, as the title suggests, cynical. He writes from the point of view of estranged school kids, for instance, in the opening poems, or as a detached and annoyed tour guide in Touring Greenwich Village: here he satires the ‘Spouses of dentists’ who gawp at him as he works, representative of a world beyond rescue. There
Adam
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I don't think I could ever judge poetry. There isn't really a way to define what is and isn't poetry, just like art. I thought this collection was beautiful and all of the poems flowed really well together. It might not be for everyone but It was defiantly for me.
My favorites are

pg 50. On The Sudden Death of a Beloved Acquaintance

pg 12. Infidelity

pg 22. Yet

pg 27. Jury Duty

pg 3. Visiting Alumnus
Cindy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this comp book from the author. Thank you Mr. Appel for renewing my interest in poetry. I could actually understand your collection of humorous and at times dark poems. A few of them I had to reread to determine if should laugh or cry. Always entertaining and thought-provoking!
Noreen
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from LibraryThings. It is a poetry book of 58 poems. The poems are beautifully written and covers a variety of different topics. My favorite poem was #31 Flying with Clarity.
Des
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Everything you've come to expect from contemporary American poetry, whatever that might mean to you.

(Hey, Jake: cynicism is the *beginning* of wisdom, not an end in itself.)
Tiffany
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I am not much of a poetry person. However, some of the poems had a witty sense of humor about them and talked about history as well. Overall it was an okay read.
Ann
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a gift from the author.
This was a short book of only 58 pages, but it took me a while to read because I wanted to soak it all in. It is a book of poems that remind us how short life is. Life and death. A very deep book. Take your time reading this.
Thanks so much to Jacob Appel for allowing me the chance to read this eye-opening book.
Joseph Dubey
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short read. Poems were very good. Espescially liked trick-or-treating in suburbia,snow again, and I reallu liked assembling the exercycle(funny and true).
Rachel Foley
Jul 15, 2019

• A Hundred Veils
  • Honest Illusions
  • Pilgrimage: A Memoir of Poland and Rome
  • Captivated (The Donovan Legacy, #1)
  • Blood and Smoke
  • Children of the Corn
  • Loving Jack (Jack's Stories, #1)
  • Shady Park Secrets
  • First World Problems
  • Creepshow
  • Baro Xaimos: A Novel of the Gypsy Holocaust
  • Killer Amnesia
  • The Last Frontier of Murder
  • Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants
  • 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides
  • Where Do Fairies Go When It Snows?
  • Semi-Homemade: Slow Cooker Recipes
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
**Please note: A limited number of complimentary electronic copies of several of my books are available for review. Please email me directly if you are interested**

Jacob M. Appel's first novel, The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up, won the Dundee International Book Award in 2012. His short story collection, Scouting for the Reaper, won the 2012 Hudson Prize. He has published short fiction in more than