Start by marking “Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)

Reina roja

(Antonia Scott #1)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  27,843 ratings  ·  3,407 reviews
NO HAS CONOCIDO A NADIE COMO ELLA

Antonia Scott es especial. Muy especial.

No es policía ni criminalista. Nunca ha empuñado un arma ni llevado una placa, y, sin embargo, ha resuelto decenas de crímenes.

Pero hace un tiempo que Antonia no sale de su ático de Lavapiés. Las cosas que ha perdido le importan mucho más que las que esperan ahí fuera.

Tampoco recibe visitas. Por eso n
Hardcover, La Trama, 568 pages
Published November 8th 2018 by Ediciones B

To ask other readers questions about Reina roja, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
JJ Estaría genial que no spoilearas de esa manera en la pregunta.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Helena The identity of the murderer is still to be discovered in the second book.
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónDon Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraThe Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz ZafónFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwayLa catedral del mar by Ildefonso Falcones
Spain
494 books — 294 voters
The Poet by Michael Connelly61 Hours by Lee ChildThe Whisper Man by Alex NorthPresumed Innocent by Scott TurowThe Silence of the Lambs by Thomas  Harris
Heart stopping THRILLERS.
1,127 books — 2,325 voters

More lists with this book...

·  27,843 ratings  ·  3,407 reviews

Start your review of Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
Pablo Estévez
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly addictive.
Not recommended if you have some task to complete!
This book can spoil your social life for 2 days.
It's a great adventures novel.
Ines
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and fully intend on completing the series.
Antonia and Jon form an unlikely pair but that works beautifully, although it’s a relationship a little bit unbalanced! Maybe it’s what makes them believable...

I also really enjoyed having the author’s research notes at the end, it gives contexto that just ties up the story and it makes for a cool little tidbit.

As per the author’s requests, no spoilers in this review but If you love a mystery and unusual characters I t
Inna Shmeleva
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, very intriguing, interesting and I would agree with reading community- it’s highly addictive.
Horrendous crime scenes, power, personal dilemmas, special’ super-secret police efforts, challenging crimes and constant danger.

I enjoyed the book because I thought it was a good combination - of the characters and the pace was rapid enough to keep me reading with excitement.

Recommended for people who want to read in Spanish - it was my second book in Spanish and it went through just fine
CFT
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It has been a while since a book trapped me like this one. Non stop intrigue, unexpected plot twists, love the characters and their dialogs. It also has a lot of references to popular Spanish music, like poems, sayings and songs, which as an expat Spaniard I really appreciate. I started reading another book after finishing Reina Roja, but I had to come back to their world, so here I am, now reading Loba negra.
Oriol Rodriguez
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book.
Contains great vocabulary to make the reading of this book more fluid and enjoyable, the message and overall plot suit excellently the well developed characters who play a key role in making the reader smirk without noticing and also forcing an empathy for both in every page and in every new problem that pops up between both.
Fresh and bold, definitely not your ordinary detective novel.
Lydia
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Honestly? I couldn't ask for anything else. Good plot, good characters, excellent writing (I laughed a few times reading this) and a few plot twists to make the storyline really interesting. Can't wait to finish the trilogy! ...more
Ofelia
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every moment I spent reading this novel. It is a great option if you love mistery and noir detective novels. It is full of references to language which enriched the development of the plot. Many details that make you love the main characters. It took me long to read but it is so catchy that it can be read in a good weekend marathon. I strongly recommend this novel.
Ivonne
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a complicated thriller, narrated with humor, even in its hardest points, which can be off-putting. But Antonia Scott, and, especially, Jon Gutiérrez, the former police detective, are a great pair (not a couple, for really cool reasons). Creative and innovative definitely a great read, if you enjoy the genre.
Dave
Spanish readers have already gotten their hands in three novels in Juan Gomez-Jurado’s Antonia Scott crime thriller series. It’s about time for English readers to get the opportunity to sample the series, which is set in Madrid, and due to debut in the United States in early 2023.

This is not your ordinary heroine and, in fact, both main characters are oddly flawed. Antonia is perhaps one of the most brilliant people in the world with an intellect that cruises along at supersonic speeds. She can
Angel 一匹狼
Jul 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book has so many plot holes/things that make no sense that I don't know where to start. So let's make a list:

(view spoiler)
Rose
I have just read Red Queen by Juan Gómez-Jurado.

What great characters, story, settings and a start to a trilogy of books!

I must say that this was a book that I just could not put it down once I got started.

The story starts off with Jon Gutierrez, who is a police officer in Bilbao, getting into some deep problems.

It is refreshing to find a thriller that takes place in wonderful cities like Bilbao and Madrid, both that I have visited and love, plus that have very different and interesting main cha
Ann
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, spanish
A 500+ page Spanish book that I read in 2 days (one of them containing a 9 hour flight). The book was relatively easy to read because it's written in the present tense (no tricky verb forms) and there are no flights of literary fancy. I think there was some slang used here and there - some expressions did not pop up on my iphone dictionary - but I was able to follow the story. I think the author has hit on a good formula here, and I can see how this will become a popular series (and it's gotten ...more
Juan Carlos
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
1st book I have read from this author. I enjoyed it from beginning to the end. I have already bought another book from him. I can’t stop reading.
Suze Fields
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I didn't like one of the main characters very much, because she seemed to me too artificial. The other one was funny. I actually highlighted some of his thoughts because they cracked me up. I have no idea how will anyone be able to translate those to any other language. In Spanish they are superb.

In the first 75% the story is fast paced but quite flat, and then... then it twists and turns and blows your mind. The end, though... The hook for the next book is kinda lame.

I didn't like elements of t
Anna Serra i Vidal
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's a quick and forgettable read made of different tropes we've seen a thousand times. I liked how the author builds the sentences, but it doesn't deliver in the end.
In a thriller the bad guy needs to be even more complete than the hero and it's not the case. Yes, I know there are a second and a third instalments, but each one needs its own baddie with its own motivations. I think he tried to do here, what Dolores Redondo does with her El Baztán trilogy, but she gets a complete villain in each
Hugo Hadfield
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Worse than I expected, it was a real slog to get through this. My one solace is that at least the act of reading a book that was originally written in Spanish was good for vocabulary building, especially for picking up slang constructions that you would struggle to find in, for example, a Spanish version of a Dan Brown novel. Overall though, pretty crap.
Adolfo
Apr 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good
Ana // TheBooktarian
Actual rating: 2,5 stars
LindaPf
Jul 27, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Juan Gómez-Jurado is one of the top bestselling Spanish authors, and his novel, international bestselling thriller Reina Roja/Red Queen (already having sold millions of copies in Spanish, French, Italian and German), is finally being released in English. This is the first in a series featuring Antonia Scott (Spanish mom/ British dad), an incredibly talented forensic criminologist who needs to be coaxed out of a self-imposed retirement to investigate the brutal murder of an exsanguinated teenaged ...more
OutlawPoet
Aug 10, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spain
This is one of those books that I wanted to love so much more than I did.

I adored Antonia – she’s just a wonderfully unique character. I also loved Jon. He’s damaged, but he has a ton of heart. Finally, I loved the setting – the culture and history of Spain is presented so well here.

But the plot was mostly quite dull, the story moved at a glacial pace, and I finally realized that I was only reading for Antonia.

I would revisit the author again if there’s another Antonia book, but I’d hope that th
Booker
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This is the most overrated book I've read. It's not a thriller, it's more in the super-hero genre.

There's nothing original about the protagonist. Other books have been written about a super intelligent woman who has super powers. And the story seems a parody.

Also, I don't like the way the author writes. His prose is lazy, his metaphors are silly and he's not funny. He repeats the "he's not fat" joke every chapter. It gets old after the second time, and I usually like jokes about fat morons.
Louise
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read, set in the Madrid area with interesting protagonists. The plot was absorbing enough and the setting realistically described, but the concept of a secret investigative force relying on one super-intelligent, troubled woman was pretty ridiculous.
Ania
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it a lot. I've read it in a two days gulp. Really nice piece of work. 👌 ...more
AC
Aug 12, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
We begin the book with a kidnapping, and it doesn't slow down very much from that point: a kidnapping, multiple murders, a corrupt cop, a forensics genius, a mysterious organization, an arrogant cop, and an aging journalist. There's a lot going on here. Unfortunately, there are too many coincidences, a heroine that is described as special, which turns out to be a genius-level intelligence [aired with some kind of monstrous and odd medical experiment that turned her into an Asperger's like charac ...more
Debbie
Sep 03, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published by the author, in Spanish in 2018, and the first in a series of three, this book will be published in English, in the U.S., in March, 2023. This was an action packed mystery thriller, with kidnapping and murder as the devious plot. Good investigative work brings to light the main characters of Jon, a disgraced, but likable police investigator and Antonia, a crime solving savant with a mysterious background.

Things were a little confusing at first and I had difficulty connecti
Kevin Halter
Red Queen by Juan Gomez-Jurado unfortunately did not click with me.
There is nothing wrong with the characters or the plot of the story--and it's possible that it's more my mind state than the book itself.
Jon seemed like an interesting and flawed character but I never warmed to him and the main protagonist Antonia Scott had some interesting traits but (shrug). Perhaps it is a matter of translation but there just didn't seem to be any depth. The narrative voice just seemed a little detached.
I wi
Laura A
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Jon who is a cop for now has to convince Antonia to help him solve a murder with her unique gifts. To solve this murder and other occurrence will take everything Antonia has in her repertoire.
Renée DeGalan
Dec 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounding up because I might read the next books in the series when I'm feeling up for 550+ more pages. Interesting characters and lots of humor for a thriller/suspense book. It's an easy read in Spanish, without literary flights of fancy; lots of Spanish culture and references throughout. ...more
Amina
Mar 30, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!!!
G.G. Lapresa
Jun 25, 2022 rated it did not like it
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Reunión 12 de febrero 1 9 Feb 03, 2022 06:15PM
Novela Policial, ...: Febrero 2020 / Reina Roja 15 89 Dec 06, 2021 12:50PM
Club de lectura p...: [JULIO-AGOSTO 2021] Reina Roja - SPOILERS!!! 9 76 Aug 22, 2021 03:58PM
Club de lectura p...: [JULIO-AGOSTO 2021] Reina Roja - Sin Spoilers 20 83 Aug 16, 2021 04:06AM

• La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • La Red Púrpura (Elena Blanco, #2)
  • La Nena (Elena Blanco, #3)
  • El día que se perdió la cordura
  • El silencio de la ciudad blanca
  • La chica de nieve
  • El día que se perdió el amor
  • Los ritos del agua (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca #2)
  • La bestia
  • El juego del alma
  • Tierra
  • Todo lo que sucedió con Miranda Huff
  • Los señores del tiempo (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #3)
  • El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán #1)
  • Aquitania
  • Patria
  • Legado en los huesos (Trilogía del Baztán, #2)
See top shelves…
Juan Gómez-Jurado (December 1977 Madrid, Spain) is an award winning journalist and bestselling author. He is one of the three most successful contemporary Spanish authors along with New York Times bestselling authors Javier Sierra and Carlos Ruiz Zafón. In 2016, Juan celebrated the mark of 6 million readers worldwide.

Juan is the author of nine international bestselling novels: GOD’S SPY, THE MOSES

Antonia Scott (3 books)
  • Loba negra (Antonia Scott, #2)
  • Rey blanco (Antonia Scott #3)