Start by marking “If You Had Your Birthday Party on the Moon” as Want to Read:
If You Had Your Birthday Party on the Moon

If You Had Your Birthday Party on the Moon

If you had your birthday party on the moon, what would it be like? Blast off to an extraterrestrial celebration and find out! This cool picture book combines fun and facts to help kids learn all about outer space.

Have your birthday party on the moon and everyone will come! After all, who wouldn’t want to ride in a rocket and celebrate for a day that lasts as long as a
Published April 23rd 2019 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about If You Had Your Birthday Party on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Had Your Birthday Party on the Moon

Start your review of If You Had Your Birthday Party on the Moon
Christine Hwang
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
You have been cordially invite to a birthday party on the moon! Learn about how the low-gravity environment makes activities more fun as well as special scientific facts about outer space. Who wouldn’t want a birthday party on the moon?

Recommended for grades K-2nd. Lexile Level: N/A
Reviewed by Christine Hwang, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Alex  Baugh
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Birthdays are always fun and what could be better than a birthday party on the moon, after all, one day there lasts 706 hours, compared to earth's mere 24 hour day. After a 3-day ride in a rocket ship to the moon, the birthday child, with friends and dog, arrives. As everyone disembarks wearing spacesuits and party hats, because there is no breathable air on the moon, the first thing they notice is the moon black's sky, and earth shining in the distance. But now let the party begin. No need for ...more
Raquel Evans
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, children
A lot of fun facts about the moon and space travel, including a few I didn't already know. I feel like even as a child I might have enjoyed it even more without the frame of a birthday party, and just straight 'what it's like on the moon', but then I was a very odd child...

There are several references to things happening 'billions of years ago' (e.g. talking about where the moon may have come from).
Susan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Too many words for me to want to read to my 4.5 year old again, and the birthday party theme was a little unnecessary, but he really liked it and the info was solid (it'll be better for him in a year or so). Some facts in there we hadn't read in (the many) other moon books yet though!
Susan
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This picture book cleverly combines so many things I love: STEM content, second person POV, and layered text with infoboxes! It's much more interesting way for kids to learn about gravity and space travel versus your traditional straightforward text. I'd love to see this become a series: "If You Had Your Birthday Party [INSERT PLANET/PLACE/HISTORICAL PERIOD/ETC.]".
N.
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I confess this book totally surprised me. I was expecting a simplistic storyline, much like one I read in the past about what would happen if a dinosaur came to your birthday party. Instead, it's very informative, talking about the science aspect of going to the moon for a birthday party. It talks about the lack of gravity in space and the low gravity on the moon, why the moon has 1/6 of the gravity Earth has, what would happen to various objects in space. Would they float or fall? Could a ...more
Janet Squires
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If You Had Your Birthday Party on the Moon by Joyce Lapin with illustrations by Simona Ceccarelli honors the 50th anniversary of the moon landing in this imaginative exploration of an out-of-this-world birthday party. The narrative traces the adventure from take-off to moon landing and finishes with the return trip to earth. The entertaining romp is also a clever device for introducing young readers to a wealth of facts tucked neatly into the story line.

You’ll make the 239,000-mile journey at
Tonja Drecker
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A party on the moon becomes that much better when mixed with loads of information and fun moon facts.

While this book appears to be a cute story about a birthday party on the moon, it's so much more. The author takes listeners to a trip on the moon, speaking to them as if they are having a party there with their favorite guests. While the usually party things such as balloons, cake and games are present, none of these function quite the way they do on Earth. It starts with the rocket ride, the
Lilith Day
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This cute book shares a balance of reality and fiction.

Reality:
This book takes place on the moon. It shares with children what it's like on the moon from lack of wind to other important elements. In addition, for children who want to read more, this book offers some fun facts.

Fiction:
The overall story line is tons of fun. The story is about a child who wants to have a party in a place no one had done before. It is very engaging and cute to read.

Note:
This book contains a lot of words. I would
Lisa
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has a birthday! What place would be cooler for a party than the moon? It takes only 3 days to get there in a rocket, you experience weightlessness, and the different feel of gravity once you and your friends are on the moon. Things you usually do at a party are very different on the moon - you can't light your candles and breaking the piñata is unusual out there.

Joyce Lapin takes a very familiar experience - a birthday party - and teaches about the moon through that perspective. She
Taylor Brickley
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-21-40
This book is explaining how a birthday party would be like on the moon. This book explains that it would take a month to get to the moon and "party goers" would see what it's like to take a space shower and play with fire when lighting candles. The it explains what it would be like on the moon and making snow angels in the thich moon dust. I really liked this book because it gave really good facts about space and but put it in kid friendly terms. I would use this book in my classroom to teach my ...more
Tanya
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine doing all the usual birthday party activities - bouncing, dancing, and playing games; exploring around you; singing Happy Birthday; blowing out candles; eating cake; hitting the pinata; and more - on the moon, where EVERYTHING will be different! Lapin's fun and funny look at a party on the moon offers easy-to-understand scientific explanations for these differences, packing pages with cool facts about space, the moon, gravity, astronauts, and much more, while Ceccarelli's bright and ...more
Terry
This is not what I was expecting when I picked up the book. The story is far less about the party and more about the Moon itself. Party elements are the "prop" for talking about specific aspects of traveling to and being on the moon. I wasn't expecting narrative nonfiction to this depth. There is a TON of science in these pages. Go to the Reading Tub to see our recommendations for reading this book.
John
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it was about a birthday party on the moon and lots of other facts about the moon. And it turns out there has been more birthday parties on the moon, and I guess it's not fiction, because I heard some stuff about rockets (BECAUSE I HEARD SOME STUFF ABOUT ROCKES) but not everything about rockets. I don't know everything about rockets; it didn't tell us everything about rocket ships, it told us about birthday parties on the moon, mostly, and (spaceship! spaceship! ...more
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
You have been cordially invite to a birthday party on the moon! Learn about how the low-gravity environment makes activities more fun as well as special scientific facts about outer space. With all of the unique things you can do, who wouldn’t want a birthday party on the moon?

Recommended for grades K-2nd. Lexile Level: N/A
Sheri
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting idea or speculation of what it would be like to have your birthday party on the moon. There are moon facts and a glossary at the back. Weightlessness, rockets, atmosphere, space suits and what you might do there with illustrations at the back of things you might find there and wear to go there.
Jana
This fun picture books is a blend of an imaginative story about having a birthday party on the moon and informational text presenting fascinating facts about space travel and the moon. The digital artwork is colorful and loaded with fun detail to make this a terrific resource to have on the bookshelf.
Pam
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun and fact-filled picture book about the moon, traveling in space, living in space etc. The story line follows a birthday party on the moon but each page has multiple call out boxes with fun facts about space.
Wendy Garland
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This nonfiction work explores what it would be like to spend time on the moon, from the perspective of kids at a birthday party. The logistics provide an explanation for how and why things work the way they do on the lunar surface.
Megan Rosenkranz
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute text that is informational and narrative at the same time, this would be incredible for my students. While entertaining, it discusses how the moon is different with lots of vocabulary and facts.
Syntha Green
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun illustrations and full of science and story
Rebecca Caufman
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, I learned a ton about the moon I had no idea! I loved how the author sprinkled the facts under the context that I was at a birthday party on the moon.
Sandy
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun story mixing imagination with actual facts about the moon. My 8 year old enjoyed this one.
Yolanda
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I loved it. The information and the illustrations were outstanding. This is a keeper.
Jessie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
stem tie in
Jeimy
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute story interspersed with cool facts about the moon.
Deborah
Sep 08, 2019 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
A fun, super kid-friendly way to present tons of information about the moon.
Michele Knott
Lapin takes the idea of having a birthday party on the moon and then explains how the logistics of everything would work. For instance, how long it will take you to get to your birthday party (answer: 3 days via rocket ship, another 9 birthdays if you choose to walk...) and how while you're celebrating, the sky from the moon will look black even though if you're party was on Earth is would be blue (answer: it has to do with the fact that Earth has air in the atmosphere and the moon doesn't). And ...more
Baby Bookworm
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is If You Had Your Birthday Party On The Moon, written by Joyce Lapin and illustrated by Simona Ceccarelli, an imaginative “what-if” for the ultimate destination celebration.

If you had your birthday party on the moon, you’d have your pick of unique birthday experiences: the day would last 709 hours, for one. You would get to experience weightlessness on the trip
Lynne Marie

• A Stone Sat Still
  • Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
  • Hair Love
  • Not Quite Snow White
Joyce has enjoyed reading and learning about astronomy since childhood. A former advertising copywriter, she's happy to have found a kinder, gentler life.

Joyce lives in Simsbury, CT. "If You Had Your Birthday Party on the Moon" is her first book for young readers.