Start by marking “Geek Girls Don't Cry: Real-Life Lessons From Fictional Female Characters” as Want to Read:
Geek Girls Don't Cry: Real-Life Lessons From Fictional Female Characters

Geek Girls Don't Cry: Real-Life Lessons From Fictional Female Characters

Geek girls don’t cry . . . they get strong! Using examples from both real life and pop culture, entertainment writer Andrea Towers provides powerful tips on how women can overcome obstacles.

“An enjoyable read for anyone interested in pop culture, with particular relevance to those working to overcome struggles.” —Booklist (Starred review)

What does it mean for a woman to
Published April 2nd 2019 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Geek Girls Don't Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geek Girls Don't Cry

Rebecca
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by Edelweiss and the Publisher.

So I don't know on what planet I was on when I thought that this was going to be YA leaning self-help/personal growth book ... maybe it was the cover (because this cover would sell SO HARD to teenage girls - especially the fangirls and the cosplayers)? Maybe it was the use of the word "girls" in the title? Maybe it is because micro-biographies are having a moment in YA non-fiction and a book set up as a fan-girl index/guide to life would have CIRC'ed S
Samantha Puc
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-beat
I received an advanced copy of Geek Girls Don't Cry from Sterling Publishers in exchange for an honest review on The Beat. You can read my full review by clicking here, or check out an excerpt below!

***

Quick! Name three fictional characters with whom you identify. Now consider: what do they have in common? In Andrea Towers‘ debut book, Geek Girls Don’t Cry, she explores connecting threads between some of the most iconic female characters in fiction. From Diana of Themyscira to General Leia Organ
Tina Brandt
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the deep dive into these characters' not only physical strength, but emotional strengths as well. Would love to see a second book with other characters, expanding on more diverse backgrounds and other pop culture areas, like Anime (love me some Sailor Moon).

Highly recommended.
Emily Whitmore
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is not to love about an author praising and discusses fictional characters and how they impact her and other consumers of media in a positive way?
Erin Scott
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Well informed presentation of different aspects of psychology and how they may be reflected in women characters we’ve seen in media.

All of the sections read as short biographies and though they are well thought out (and clearly Towers read a ton of psychology pieces to be informed of what she refers to) the biographies are quick passes at the story. More seemingly meant to say “look, here is someone you may identify with.” The references to comics do not always include an issue number (which wo
Andrienne
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a YA nonfiction book that features a lot of psychological lessons seen through the challenges faced by female characters in pop culture. The takeaways are very light, even though Psychology Today is mentioned a lot and medical terms are peppered throughout. I initially wanted to rate this 3 stars, but I am not the intended audience, so looking at it from a young adult to a college student perspective, I can see how this book could be a worthwhile read for those demographics.

I
Christian Enlund
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book.

Opening it up and starting to read, I wasn't entirely sure about what I would find, and having now read it, I can say that I am not disappointed by my purchase.

The book covers a multitude of different mental illnesses and does so in a way that is is to relate with and find something to bring along into your own life. Something that you can later look back at and thing "huh, this reminds me of ..." and therefore correctly find help and or support someone.

All in all, a very comp
Nikki Jeske
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Andrea has given the world a gift. It's not just a fun adventure into pretending our favorite fictional characters are real. It's an important and significant book filled with understanding, empathy, and hope. Andrea helps erase the stigma surrounding mental health by sharing the stories of easily-relatable & well-loved characters in comics, movies, and books. By finding strength in these complex women, we can find strength in ourselves. Thank you Andrea!
Nicole M
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a comic book nerd and survivor of much trauma, I could not pass this book up, and devoured it super swiftly. I love how it addresses the many routes to improved mental health vs. promoting a one size fits all solution, while also examining characters from all realms of fiction. I highly recommend it. Thanks Andrea!
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
An overview of how Buffy Summers, Wonder Woman, Xena, and Hermione Granger can help you face personal challenges in your life. I would have liked it if the author had dug a little deeper (most chapters are about 3-5 pages) and focused less on trying to include the maximum number of female characters from video games, comics, movies, TV shows and books.
Anna Morgan
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
An easy read — good to dip in and out of if you want to use the story of a geek girl to motivate yourself. However, the book contains some factual errors the editors should have caught—names, time periods, things like that being listed incorrectly.
Kristina Feeney
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction
I guess I just wanted more from it? Each section was pretty short and could summed up with "It's okay to look to fictional characters for strength when you go through tough times" and then some examples of those characters and their tough times.
Sam
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great collection of quotes and lessons from a number of awesome female characters. I think my favorite section was the one about Keyleth from Critical Role, but that may be because I am so attached to the character in the first place.
Soulfire
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now I want to go back and rewatch all my favorite shows so I can rediscover my favorite women characters.
Liz
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting psychology behind each character, a good book if you need a super heroine boost.
Shelby Lynne
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
-review to come-
Kim
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just ended up skimming this. Too dry for me (and then I found an error that killed some of the geek cred for me).
Erika
May 03, 2019
Maria Vicente
May 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrea Towers is a writer who has worked at Entertainment Weekly and Marvel. She is the author of the upcoming book GEEK GIRLS DON'T CRY: REAL-LIFE LESSON FROM FICTIONAL FEMALE CHARACTERS, which will be published on April 2, 2019 by Sterling. A lover of coffee, porgs, and all things fantasy, her work on pop culture/comics with a focus on female-led media has been published in print and online.

She