Start by marking “The Edge Rules (The Rules Series Book 3)” as Want to Read:
The Edge Rules (The Rules Series Book 3)

The Edge Rules

(The Rules #3)

Being a bully isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Sixteen-year old Brianna had everything she wanted: money to ski all over the world, underlings to do her bidding, and parents who gave her every freedom—as long as she played by their rules. But when she’s busted shoplifting and assigned to the Chain Gang, she ditches her shallow ways and realizes being herself is easier tha
Published October 26th 2018 by Left-Handed Mitten Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Edge Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge Rules

Start your review of The Edge Rules (The Rules Series Book 3)
D.M.
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this book. Brianna is the girl everyone hates. She's privileged, stuck up and totally self-involved. Under the surface, her life is falling apart and she is realising that being cruel is more effort than it's worth. She becomes a kleptomaniac. Brianna wouldn't be caught dead in any of the jewellery she's stolen, but she just can't stop until she gets arrested. Her dad manages to get her off with community service. Unfortunately, her dad has a bombshell of his own to drop. Her m ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, arcs, romance, ya
Brianna was raised believing, that appearance was everything, and she put a lot of time and energy into becoming the local queen bee. But after falling from grace and hitting rock bottom, Brianna held that mirror up to herself, and was NOT happy with who she saw.

This book was billed as a romance, and it had romance, don't worry, but really it was a redemption story. I LOVE redemption stories, because I like to believe that we can all stumble, make mistakes, and atone for our transgressions.

Brian
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confession time: I went into this book with low expectations about the MC. After reading the first two books in the series, I was prepared to dislike Brianna to the bitter end, but Melanie is truly a miracle worker. She not only created a very unlikable character, but then managed to turn her life around in spectacular and realistic ways. Definitely impressed 💕
Mary Sherman
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was my favorite book in the Edge Series! Brianna is the absolute worst in the other books, but you definitely see a new side of her in this one. There were some heavy topics, but it's important that YA books address some of these issues, since they're a reality in today's world. Also, I couldn't help but get major heart eyes for Xavier!!! Great book, must read.
Melanie Hooyenga
Apr 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm so excited to share Brianna's story with all of you! Be sure to mark The Edge Rules as Want to Read so you'll be notified when it's available!

Or sign up for my ARC newsletter to get an advanced copy! http://eepurl.com/cwqvjf
Kelley
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, by far, my favorite of the RULES series!

Brianna....former mean girl, queen of her high school, could knock a kid off his chair with one evil scowl....is dethroned and goes from HAS IT ALL to HAS BEEN. No friends. Zero social life. And worse, she's now forced into community service for a string of bad choices. Can she change?

The author not only gave a ruthless antagonist the protagonist spotlight--she helped us see exactly WHY Brianna made those choices and exactly what she needs to do
Monica Moeggenberg
Just like the other two books in the series The Edge Rules did not disappoint. It's funny how you can hate a character so much but when you learn more about her and her situation you feel bad and start to like her. There are always two sides to every situation. This story is about picking oneself up after her whole world comes crashing down. To quote Alfred from Batman Begins "Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up."
That one quote pretty much sums up the whole book, and an
Lauren Grevel
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third ‘rules’ book did by disappoint! I was instantly transported back to my own high school days - the ups and the downs; socially and emotionally. Hooyenga has a knack for immersing you in the world of her books, so much so that I read it in one sitting (airport, plane; I couldn’t put it down). I wish the series never ended and I could live in their mountain world a bit longer.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third book in the series.

I previously read the first two books in the series. Mean girl, Brianna, was in both of the other books, and honestly I just wasn't a Brianna fan. However, this book was my favorite out of the three! I felt that the characters had great depth and although teenagers, they were dealing with some heavy and hard stuff--not just your typical 'does he like me' school age stuff. Brianna has always been stuck up, but this book expounds on her own trials and struggles, while gett
Michelle
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much. There's a ton of heart and it brings all the feels. But neither of the other books bring the emotion quite as much as this one. We finally get to know what is behind Brianna's heart of stone. Family trouble, past regrets, and uncontrollable rage. It's second nature to her to lash out at people because it's all she's been taught.
In walks Xavier. He's everything she's not. Sweet. Kind. Not filthy rich. Well-liked. And to her dismay - friends with Cally and Blake. Sound
Patrick Hodges
The subject of bullying is very important to me, having been on the receiving end of a lot of it as a youngster. It took me a very long time to put those horrible memories behind me, and it pains me to see that it's still just as big of an issue today as it was then.

I've read a lot of YA books dealing with the subject (and written a few as well), and while some of them do end in tragedy, a great many of them see the bully - usually the arrogant jock or the entitled queen bee - get their come-upp
bookgeek607
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Rules Series, but this one I think is my absolute favorite of the three out! Honestly I couldn’t stand mean girl Brianna in the first two books, so I was unsure on what this would hold. In this series you really get to know the characters, they become friends in a way. I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to hug somebody while reading this, or laughed out loud and got funny looks. While you learn second chances are possible, just not easily earned, you watch as she hits rock botto ...more
SD Jericho
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Book 1 and I tolerated Book 2 but this is my absolute favourite book of the series so far – I say so far because it is my most fervent hope that this is not the end of the series. And if the rest follow in this fashion, then the series overall will be an amazing representation of the difficulties of trying to be the best person you can be, as a normal teenager growing up with the pressures of multiple external pressures.

Brianna, in this book, is magic! The past two books have co
Beth Rodgers
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Edge Rules' by Melanie Hooyenga will draw you in and keep you riveted as you wonder how main character Brianna will find a way to re-shape her life rather than reclaim the one she would rather leave behind. A former bully, she has been ousted from her group of friends and made to feel just like the kids she always made fun of, making her question what the point was of ever being so cruel and calculating about how to maintain her power.

Readers learn much about Brianna throughout the story, i
Jessica
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In An Oyster Shell - I love that the mean girl gets her day, to turn her life around and make amends with a sweet romance in the process.

The Pearls - This is one of the better books that I read lately. I have been in a reading slump and this was just the book to get me out of it. I love that twist of the mean girl finding redemption. It is a unique concept that was well executed. Bravo to the author.

Bri was a great character. I loved the development of the things being revealed from her past. I
Bridgid Gallagher
The Edge Rules is such a fun read; a sweet romance but also just a great story, and such a good addition to The Rules series. Here are some big loves that stood out:

First, I was SO impressed that I liked Brianna after reading about her in the previous two books in this series. Reading her story really made me rethink my judgements of her character (and I love that.) I had an inkling at the end of book two, but was still surprised by just how much I was rooting for her - even from the start.

And X
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
Brianna is a spoiled, over-indulged, rich girl. She's used to getting anything and everything she wants. Still, she's compelled to give in to her kleptomaniac urges. When she's caught and subsequently arrested for shoplifting, her dad gets her off on a lighter sentence and she is forced into picking up litter as community service. When she meets the mysterious, Xavier, on her community service work crew she is instantly drawn to him. Compelled to face the person she has been, Brianna comes to re ...more
Samantha Lawless
Going into this one, after reading the previous two books i was really unsure how Brianna could get any redemption.

Her story is a little more serious with some of the issues that are present. Her personal growth was amazing and I'm glad it wasnt all sunshine and rainbows, she really had to try and it still wasnt all wrapped up in a tidy bow, still a little messy like real life. Once again romance is not the key to the story in sits on the side as we watch Brianna try and turn over a new lea and
Meredith J Logan
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD!

My all time favorite thing in bold is character growth. I love when an author can take a character, especially a secondary character from a previous book who is just terrible, and not only make her likable and relatable but make the change realistic. And Melanie nailed it! I really was worried to read this because Brianna was so mean but then, you meet her parents and it's like, oh makes sense. Not okay but I understand now.
Xavier was adorable. Drea was a great friend for Being. I liked
Esther Haddie's Haven
I loved this book! The Edge Rules was my cup of tea . . . Or coffee. i'm not much of a tea drinker. A strong message in this book is definitely that appearance is vain if what's inside is not the same as what people see on the outside. At the start, it was very hard to actually like Brianna's character. That's rare. I have a hard time when it comes to NOT liking characters, never the other way around. Ms. Hooyenga did the impossible.

When I heard there would be a third installment to The Rules s
Tammy Ruch
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series and by far my favorite. I love that the narrator is the villain from the first two books. While reading this book, I got so into the characters that I found myself up late at night just to find out what would happen next. Who knew I would ever feel bad for Brianna? The more I read the more I found myself hoping things would work out well for the former Snow Bunny. I won't spoil all the twists and turns, but get ready for Hooyenga to reveal this character's re ...more
Tina
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Brianna’s story, she finds out that being the school bitch is not the way to win friends and influence people. She gets caught,again, shoplifting and has to do community service. She makes some new friends there, and meets a very kind, compassionate, hot guy. Will her new friends find out how she alienated all her friends at school and dump her? Find out when you read the Edge Rules.
Tammy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite of the series. I detested Brianna in the other book. Now we see the whole picture with her and her want to change, I changed my mind. Xavier is a favorite character for me of the series. Brianna growing as a person and being taken to the very bottom of life was a journey worth reading.
Emily Kazmierski
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Brianna struggles to make good choices, which is realistic given her upbringing. But she does improve over the course of the book, as she learns to empathy with the people around her. Plus, her budding relationship with Xavier was fun to read. They’re cute together.
Ashley Xu
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought this book on Amazon and finished it 3 hours later. This book was AMAZING. I always loved the kind of books that take on the perspective of the “bitch” and Melanie Hooyenga did a spectacular job with this one!

May have shed a tear or two at the end LOL
Pauline Anne
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute read. Third book in the series and probably my favourite. Brianna's story will really draw you in. Mean girl turning over a new leaf. The one we hated in the first two books. Well worth reading.
Sascha
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know if there is going to be a fourth Rules book, but if there isn’t I just have to say that Melanie Hooyenga really hit it out of the park with The Edge Rules.

In the preceding two books, we met Brianna first as the top mean girl in The Slope Rules and then as the ex-best friend (still mean girl tendencies) in The Trail Rules. In The Edge Rules we come to see Brianna as a more layered person, evolving throughout the novel. At the beginning, she still shows signs of being judgmental and s
Jun 20, 2018
Karen Mc
May 02, 2019
Amy
Jan 14, 2019

• The Penalty Box (Vancouver Wolves Hockey, #3)
  • Tessa (Shelfbrooke Academy, #2)
  • Strike Three, You're Mine (All's Fair in Love and Sports)
  • Road Trip with a Nerd: A Sweet Young Adult Novella
  • The Good Girl & the Bad Boy (Jackson High Series, #2)
  • The Nerd & the Quarterback (Jackson High Series, #1)
  • The Love Fakers (Love Quiz Book 1)
  • Breaking the Rules of Revenge
  • The Traveling Javelinas
  • Safety in the Friendzone
  • Faking It (Fake Boyfriend Duet Book 1)
  • Here Lies Daniel Tate
  • #LoveToHateThatBoy
  • Spirited
  • Beauty and the Boss
  • Wipeout: A Sweet Teen Romance (Ryder Bay Book 4)
  • Sixteen Kisses: A novella
  • Indie and the Brother's Best Friend (Scandalous, #2)
Multi-award winning young adult author Melanie Hooyenga first started writing as a teenager and finds she still relates best to that age group. She has lived in Washington DC, Chicago, and Mexico, but has finally settled down in her home state of Michigan.

When not at her day job as the Communications Director at a nonprofit, you can find Melanie attempting to wrangle her Miniature Schnauzer Owen

The Rules (3 books)
  • The Slope Rules
  • The Trail Rules (The Rules, #2)