Start by marking “Pro .Net Memory Management: For Better Code, Performance, and Scalability” as Want to Read:
Pro .Net Memory Management: For Better Code, Performance, and Scalability

Pro .Net Memory Management: For Better Code, Performance, and Scalability

Understand .NET memory management internal workings, pitfalls, and techniques in order to effectively avoid a wide range of performance and scalability problems in your software. Despite automatic memory management in .NET, there are many advantages to be found in understanding how .NET memory works and how you can best write software that interacts with it efficiently and ...more
Published November 13th 2018 by Apress

To ask other readers questions about Pro .Net Memory Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pro .Net Memory Management

Start your review of Pro .Net Memory Management: For Better Code, Performance, and Scalability
Szymon Kulec
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars means amazing.

There are some technical books that show you how something works. And that's it. There's this other kind, which guides you through the woods, showing you breadcrumbs to follow. It allows you to think about the content and ideas presented, and reason what are the next steps. This book definitely belongs to the second kind.

It contains a lot of knowledge presented in a good format. Every chapter is supported by a summary and/or some scenarios where you can apply the already ga
Piotr Stapp
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I know Konrad personally and that was the main reason I started reading this book. I was sure that I will read it by skipping a lot and probably don't learn a lot.
I was WRONG! Totally WRONG! I even didn't finish it and already apply some knowledge to fix a problem. Will I solve it without the book? Yes, but this will take me probably longer, much longer.

I'm amazed how Konrad explains difficult concepts in simple worlds. And still, you can read it on the bus (on Kindle of course). I
Gerard Gunnewijk
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am currently still reading this book. The books contains so much awesome knowledge. My understanding of memory management grew with leaps compared to what I used to know.

+1 must read for every .NET developer.

Makes me more aware of the impact of the code I write.
Marcin Jałbrzykowski
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nowadays, computers, smartphones and other electronic devices have more and more RAM available. Microsoft creating the .NET platform took care of providing mechanisms responsible for automatic memory management. This allows developers to focus on implementing business logic and quickly delivering applications to the market. Unfortunately, these aspects also reduce the importance of effective memory management in the software development process. Developers become unaware of what is happening wit ...more
Stefan
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
obviously a must read for anyone who is designing and writing low-latency and / or data intensive C# (mainly) code on top of .NET platform, i.e. would benefit from understanding how to work along and utilise intricate knowledge of GC internals;
However, the book at over 1k isn't without page faults ;-)
It's quite verbose (bit like reading a transcript of a really well prepared training) and has a tendency to go very deep into (crossing into implementation details) making it a tad hard for a reade
Wiktor Golonka
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! Definitely a must-read for any .NET developer of any seniority.
Book is full of very deep, technical knowledge about .NET internals and regardless of immense number of pages it's just so interesting I swallowed it whole in few days.
Besides of the raw technical content it also provides many great tips of how we can improve performance and debug memory related issues of any .NET application.
Łukasz Pyrzyk
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best book about .NET runtime that I have read. Konrad goes through the basic assumptions of each application, such as a pile or stack, and then slowly goes to the meat. The chapters are completed with great summaries and usage examples that can help you understand the topic.

It's very worth to read. I recommend to have clear mind and notebook next to you, because you are going to learn a lot!
Stefan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An extensive overview of Memory Management in .NET with common pitfalls and how to avoid them.
Highly recommended for everyone interested in the (bottomless) depths of Memory Management.
Tomas Herceg
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book covering fascinating details about the .NET Runtime. Even if you write business applications where performance and memory efficiency is not a priority, this book is worth reading.
Vzh
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dotnet
If you need to know about GC internals in depth and every detail - must read.
feidaokuan
Sep 13, 2019
Carlo
Mar 17, 2019

• Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • CLR via C# (Pro-Developer)
  • Writing High-Performance .NET Code
  • Dependency Injection in .NET
  • Concurrency in C# Cookbook: Asynchronous, Parallel, and Multithreaded Programming
  • The Art of Unit Testing: With Examples in .NET
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Algorithms
  • Breaking Rockefeller: The Incredible Story of the Ambitious Rivals Who Toppled an Oil Empire
  • Globalization and its Discontents
  • Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System from Crisis — and Themselves
  • Introduction to Topology
  • Beating the Street
  • Contact
  • Hands-On Domain-Driven Design with .NET Core: Tackling complexity in the heart of software by putting DDD principles into practice
  • GUI Bloopers 2.0: Common User Interface Design Don'ts and DOS
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Konrad is programming for over a dozen years, solving performance problems and architectural puzzles in the .NET world, speeding up web applications. Working as independent software development consultant. He also shares his passion as a trainer at Bottega IT Solutions in the area of .NET, especialy about application performance and diagnostics. He also provides customized on-site trainings dedica ...more

News & Interviews

“Regarding C, without a doubt, I can say that a compiler of it has been written for any hardware architecture ever created.
I will not be surprised if alien spaceships had their own C compiler on board.”
0 likes
“Resurrection is not a very popular technique. It is rarely used even in Microsoft’s own
code. This is because it plays with an object’s lifetime in a hidden way. It is a finalization
on steroids - taking all its disadvantages and doubling them.”
0 likes