Start by marking “Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much” as Want to Read:
Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much

Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much

Daily meditations to help women break the cycle of doing too much--for workaholics, busyaholics, rushaholics, and careaholics.
Paperback, 10th Anniversary Edition, 400 pages
Published May 3rd 2000 by HarperOne (first published June 8th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much

Shaunaly Higgins
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book for many years now and when I am nearing the end of teaching my yoga classes, I share the daily passages with my students (who for the majority have always been women). It's a wonderful little book and one that all us busy females can certainly relate to.
Janice
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
An on-going read. Speaks to me, reminds me to slow down and reminds me I can (should) make other choices.
Samantha
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: therapy
Use it all the time in therapy. Not perfect, but really gets to some core issues. Great to start or end a session and process through some topics in a more approachable way.
 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Some were insightful, thought provoking, while others were heartwarming. Some, though, just didn't do it for me. Overall a good year of meditations.
Tina
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a great book on daily thoughts for women. It doesn't matter how rushed you are, you can pick up this book and find the thought for the day. The advice is gentle and sometimes funny. It is also encouraging and reassuring.

I love to pick it up and spend a few moments reflecting on the thoughts and on me. A great pick-me-up book that helps the reader take a little time out from a very busy day!
Lisa Shultz
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
I started reading this book at the beginning of the year for a second time. But then I realized that I am not a workaholic anymore and I was bored with it. But the first time I read it years ago, it was good for me to read. Happy that I don't have a need to do it all anymore, but if you find yourself doing too much, you might really like it.
Scout
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Every day it inspires me to be stronger,better...more creative.Hooray for meditations.
Ashley
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book 4 days now, and each entry for all the days in this book has been exactly correct. Gives me some peace of mind!
Melissa
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i read a page a day. good way to start/finish the day
Adrian
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
I got 14 pages in and just decided this book isn't for me. There just seems to be a political bias in the book regarding feminism that I've just decided it's too distracting for me to continue to read anymore. Truly if this book were more about "meditation" as the title suggests it would be focusing on self care, and ways to accomplish that. This is just my humble opinion, but I don't think women are programed to be "workaholics". It's yet another unrealistic expectation society puts on women. O ...more
Nancy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspirational
I started reading this book in 2013, and it was set up to read one page a day. I was near the end when I ran across it again, and quickly finished it. Some of the quotes are from woman, who have chosen to have careers, and then marriage, and motherhood. They want to do it all, and that is often too much, so many of the inspirational messages are to help the women slow down, and enjoy their lives.
Debra Benton
Jan 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I have read a lot of meditation and daily books. This one didn’t do much for me, but perhaps because it is a stage of life thing. I like a daily devotion or meditation book that gives me a question to apply to my life or a mantra for the day. This one just didn’t hit the mark for me, but if you are a woman with more on your plate than you can handle, it might be a good reminder of how to be easier on yourself.
Barb Anders
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great little book to read when feeling overwhelmed about life or just day to day when you have a few minutes. They are dated meditations so you can go to the specific day of the year you're on...but no need to do that if you just want to read uplifting little snippets of things to make you feel more focused, little quotes and mantras meant for every day life....such a treasure of a book.
Vicki Jamieson
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in 1997 in Waterstones

I have been rereading this book since I purchased it in Waterstones in 1997. It never fails me. Wise quotations for women, about women, who all do too much...would recommend!
D.K.
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Some interesting quotes, but a lot of redundancy. It would work for talking points for group therapy.
Sandy
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The meditations I read were good...

I was reading one of these each night and I appreciated the writing and the messages. Some made me think about how fast paced I get sometimes.
Lori
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Powerful reading to help one overcome!
Penny Galvin
Inspiring and calming.
Peggy
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Peggy by: Quaker resources
This is a good little book to have beside the bed or a favorite chair. It is organized into brief one-page meditations, one per each day of the year and each introduced by a pertinent quotation from women of different ages, cultures, perspectives. There is wisdom, thoughtfulness built into your daily routine if you take the few minutes to pick this book up, read and reflect - a practice I am resolving today to resume. It has been some years since I bought this book at a Quaker conference and for ...more
Sally McRogerson
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
It's not helping!! I meditate on the daily readings whilst rushing from one task to another. I somehow get the impression that this is not how it's meant to work. Maybe they will filter in slowly, or maybe I'll learn to be a sloth in October. I'm just one of those people whose lives have to be filled wi a thousand outstanding tasks just to get my arse out of a sling long enough to do one! Have an indolent centre. It's just having a hard time getting out!!! Will use the book as it's meant to be u ...more
Kerri Fairclough
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While I will not have actually finished this book until the end of the year, I love it. Each day is a small passage about being a woman who fights the instinct that we have learned or the beliefs that we are holding about being more... doing more... achieving more... to prove our worth. The ultimate message is that we are perfect, just as we are and that we harm ourselves and others by believing otherwise. There is great truth in these small passages.
Atlantis
A daily reading on different topics such as "Letting Go", "Powerlessness" and "Self-Esteem." Focusing on how we sometimes get so caught up in being busy and doing as much as we can that we forget to take time for ourselves as well as realize all the joys that life has to offer. This was among the books that my Mom was reading when she died so it will always have some significance for me.
My3js
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a gift, from a very special friend, to help me deal with alot of daily struggles. There are some very good quotes & I love the way the index is set up! Great little book to have, I have 3 daughters, so I'm passing this on! :))
Jane Fournier
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a daily read to help with life. I have read it for a year and will refer back on an as needed basis. Very helpful. Second year, I find it kinda "feel sorry for yourself." Maybe I've changed, not sure but I do think I now consider the situation closely before "doing too much".
Gail
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I read it every year :)
Marjorie
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've had this book for years. You can pick it up, read one page and have food for thought.
Meija
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for every women, men too! Small doses of truth to help clear your head, and set you back on the path... Brilliant.
  • After Life
  • Spirit Song: The Introduction of No-Eyes
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • Wicca + Living Wicca + The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • Unfinished Business: What the Dead Can Teach Us About Life
  • Adventures of a Psychic: The Fascinating and Inspiring True-Life Story of One of America's Most Successful Clairvoyants
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
  • Spirit Guides & Angel Guardians: Contact Your Invisible Helpers
  • The Scalpel and the Soul: Encounters with Surgery, the Supernatural, and the Healing Power of Hope
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • God And The Evolving Universe
  • Hallucinogens and Shamanism
  • The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings
  • The Mayan Prophecies: Unlocking the Secrets of a Lost Civilization
  • All Women Are Healers: A Comprehensive Guide to Natural Healing
  • The Path to Tranquility: Daily Wisdom
  • Jesus in Blue Jeans: A Practical Guide to Everyday Spirituality
“I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to live the width of it as well.” 2 likes
“March 12 ACCEPTANCE/MISTAKES/AMENDS Of all the idiots I have met in my life, and the Lord knows that they have not been few or little, I think that I have been the biggest. —Isak Dinesen One of the ways that I can reclaim my power and my person is to admit my mistakes. Sometimes it is helpful to sit down and make a list of people that I have wronged (including myself) and to make amends to those with whom it is possible and where it would not harm them to do so. What a clean feeling it is to accept and own my life and not beat myself up for the mistakes I have made! How good it feels to let those I have harmed know that I am aware of what I have done and that I genuinely wish to own and change my behavior, and do what I can to live” 1 likes