Start by marking “The Imperial Alchemist” as Want to Read:
The Imperial Alchemist

The Imperial Alchemist

A legend buried for 2000 years. A woman compelled to uncover the truth.

210 BCE, CHINA. The most powerful emperor China has ever known is on the brink of death. In desperation, he sends his most gifted alchemist and sorcerer on a quest for the mythical elixir of life.

His fleet never returned....

NOW, world-renowned archaeologist Georgia Lee is compelled to hunt for a mysteri
Published September 5th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Imperial Alchemist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Imperial Alchemist

Start your review of The Imperial Alchemist
Sam
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC in return for an honest review.

The Imperial Alchemist is a brilliant mystery adventure book with a main story line rooted in Asian history, archaeology and geography. I can't say that there are too many similar books that have been written in this context, as most of these adventure type novels tend to be based in the Western world. A very pleasant change!

The protagonist Professor Georgia Lee is instantly likeable - smart, beautiful with a fierce intellect. In all
Patricia
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book

The Imperial Alchemist by A. H. Wang is a thriller full of Chinese history, legend and mysticism. Archeologist Georgia Lee uncovers a tomb that has been hidden for more than 2,000 years in China. This major find should have benefactors lining up to invest in it's excavation and examination. Instead she is told to return to Australia because most of the department funding has been cut.

Millionaire Mark Lambert contacts Georgia with an offer to investigate an old chinese legend of Hsu
Swetha Patel
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imperial Alchemist by AH wang had me hooked from page one. I went into the book blind and it turned out to be the perfect read for my little reading adventure. The book has an exciting storyline and the references to well- researched Asian history, mythology and legends make the story more believable. The characters are fleshed out and likable. The story gets more and more entertaining with each chapter and the end does not disappoint either. The book was a certified page-turner for me and I hig ...more
Jackie
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Alright read. I wasn’t a fan of some of the grammar
Lauren
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. It made me stay up late in a sleep-deprived state just to finish it, it was that good! Really well researched, great style and characters. Can't wait for the next one!
Shāfiya Mū
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chinese-lit, library
The Imperial Alchemist by A.H. Wang is an #OwnVoices Chinese historical thriller that alternates between two time periods. In 210 B.C.E. China, we follow the country’s most powerful emperor and his search for the elixir of life while his existence dangles on the brink of death. In the present era, we get acquainted with renowned archaeologist, Georgia Lee, who is on the hunt for a mysterious man that holds the answers to the greatest discovery in human history. Her pursuit shall take her fro ...more
Maggi Nimmo
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable page turning adventure mystery. The rich history of China, Japan and Taiwan is interwoven into a magical tale that keeps you turning pages to see what happens. A.H. Wang's writing is quite precise and not overly descriptive so I was able to imbue the experience with an overlay of my own imagination that drew me even further into the story.
The characters are archetypal without becoming typecast and drawn with sympathy and insight so that even as the book ended I wanted to kno
Simon Pert
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It was a thrilling read from beginning to end and really didn't want the book to finish.

Cannot read to read more from A H Wang
Cecelia Isaac
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was the Winter 2019 F-BOM Book of the Month. Full review here: https://f-bom.com/2019/01/01/the-impe...

"As a Chinese major in college, there’s nothing I love more than an Asian-influenced science fiction or fantasy novel. The Imperial Alchemist is also a thriller, which means in typical thriller style Georgia is bouncing around the world following clues. The attention to detail is awesome, and after following Georgia around I have a few new museums (and hiking locations!) to add to my
Fiona Titchenell
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Basics:

Thousands of years ago, Emperor Qin of China sent out an expedition in search of the elixir of life. Now, professor of archaeology Dr. Georgia Lee has been given the opportunity to pick up where that lost expedition left off. By tracing the clues across East Asia, she hopes to make a few new discoveries about a world-shaping period of Chinese history and perhaps secure the funding to save her research department, but before long, she finds herself chasing the secrets of her own past a
Judi Easley
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thoughts: I loved this book and really sort of stumbled over it by accident! A world-renowned archeologist searching for a life enhancing elixir. This is really fun. Highly recommended!
Falguni Jain
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What if someone tells you that there exists elixir somewhere in the world, making the person immortal who drinks it. Would you believe it?

The Imperial Alchemist takes you on one such adventure trip. Georgia, an archaeologist is assigned the task of finding the elixir by a business tycoon Mr. Lambert. The task is much difficult then it seems and much twisted then you would expect. Georgia who first thinks it is just an unrealistic demand of a copious businessman, soon realises it is well planned
Phoebe
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in a weekend - I couldn’t put it down! The historical storyline was fascinating and the suspense and drama of the plot had me hooked. I also loved then beautiful imagery of the Taiwan countryside. The author’s style is very easy to read and I highly recommend this novel.
Margaret
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read this year! And I am thrilled that there is to be a sequel soon. I always hate it when a really great book ends, don't you? But a sequel solves that problem!!

A. H. Wang's book, The Imperial Alchemist has so many things I love in a book. It is certainly. an action adventure thriller. It has historical and legendary info about China, Japan and Taiwan. Georgia, our heroine, is an Archeologist working in the area of ancient civilization and its artifacts. And there
Tara
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read! I spent many nights reading page after page into the early hours of the morning. I loved the mystery and the twists in the story that you don't see coming. The heroine, Georgia, is such a wonderful character - so full of integrity and a thirst for knowledge. She's so incredibly intelligent and yet so humble and courageous. And what adventure story isn't complete without a love interest - always cheering for Georgia right to the end!

Definitely a worthwhile read - go ge
Em
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this book. It was a real page turner with an enthralling plot that twisted and turned! The character portrayal was very good. The protagonist was likeable and somewhat enigmatic. I also liked how the history was embedded into the story itself. I’m not usually one for history in the form of non-fiction or even in historical novels. However in this novel the history was so relevant to the plot that it really came alive. I can’t wait for the sequel!
Vicki Scullion
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
An archeologist searching for an elixir that makes humans immortal is right up my alley. The characters were interesting, although they might have been developed a little more deeply. There was a lot of action in the plot, and the historical themes were interesting. I really liked this story.
Viola
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Great tale throughout. Historical and travel galore. Kept my attention from the first page til the last. Deals nicely with spiritual concepts.
Anonyma'am
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a gratis advance copy in return for my honest opinion and review. My thanks to Ms Wang for her generosity!

Just to let you know, I dropped the second book I was reading in a series I was really into so I could read this. I am not sorry. At. All.

There are a few extra words and a few missing words and one capitalization error. Only the capitalization error disrupted my immersion, though.

The narration is third person current tense (I guess), i.e. "Georgia watches him" instead of "Georgia
Mark Will
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An archaeological and historical adventure with many twists and turns, The Imperial Alchemist has been described by some readers as an East Asian variation on The Da Vinci Code. In this reviewer’s opinion, however, A.H. Wang’s mystery thriller is of a higher order of literature than Dan Brown’s.

Wang skillfully evokes the world of the ancient Far East in a series of flashbacks which relate to the legend of Hsu Fu, a sorcerer of the Qin Dynasty. But the continuities between past and present are h
Mark
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one fast-paced, funny, heart wrenching, fascinating story. The detail is incredible as are the depth of the characters, who drew me into the story with ease. My first all-nighter for as long as I can remember..just couldn't stop reading! I loved it.

Probably the best book I have read since Dan Brown released the DaVinci code, seriously! The only problem now is waiting for the next book.
Cathy A. Witherspoon
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating

Amazing story. Wonderful characters. Enjoyed the history. I love to fact check historical fiction and learn new ideas and research new areas . So this was a delight. Looking forward to the sequel.
Todd  Rocky
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book !
If you like The Da Vinci Code and Chinese history (like the movie Hero), then you will love this book !
Richard E. Berube
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well-plotted

Surprising in its twisty plot. Well written. An intriguing read and literate. C x x x x x x x.
susan grosskopf
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great!!!

I loved this book. The story was great and the history was fascinating, so different than other books. Thanks thanks
Mary Anne Newby
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly amazing take

I found this novel to be an amazing take that wraps the reader into a storyline steeped in ancient Chinese lore. It contains the appeal of the past along with the real concern about the ability of world today to face a world with new possibilities. Just how would mankind deal with the chance of immorality? Would it be a gift or a disaster? Thank you for the story and for your thought provoking ideas.

Debra A Wine
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have no words....I started this book four hours ago and just now finished it. I should have seen the ending coming, but of course I was caught up in "Hank's" revelations about his own true identity,and in the fight and earthquake that ensued. A.H.Wang crafts this tale with a plausibility that made me question, could it be?

If you are a fan of Asian history, mystery, and adventure, then this book is definitely for you. Don't pass this one by!
Kevin Hozak
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really interesting adventure. I liked the two main characters. I thoroughly enjoyed all the parts about Taiwan. I pretty much understood all the references and that was fun. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I thought I read that this is the author's first novel. I can see where there is room for improvement. But definitely a good start to a very promising literary career.
Patricia A Spring
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adventure

Interesting, it would be an interesting dilemma if you had immortality available, what would you do with it? There are too many people on earth to have them all become immortal and continue to procreate.
Jeff Cochrane
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting

I liked this book. Good premise. Good characters that were developed nicely. Good combination of history and fiction. It held my interest. Recommended.

• The Sam Reilly Collection Volume 2 (Sam Reilly #4-6)
  • The Case of the Damaged Detective (5-Minute Sherlock, #1)
  • The Coelho Medallion (Dan Kotler #1)
  • Shopping for an Heir (Shopping for a Billionaire, #10; Inheritance, #9)
  • Wired Fear (Paradise Crime #8)
  • Assignment in Amsterdam (The Kate Benedict Series Book 5)
  • A Bottle Full of Djinn (Sunnyside Retired Witches Community #1)
  • The Obsidian Chamber (Sam Reilly #20)
  • The Rhapta Key (Alex Hunt Adventure Thrillers #1)
  • The Beauty of St. Kilda
  • Omega Deep (Sam Reilly #12)
  • Seduced by the Baron (Fairy Tales of New York, #4)
  • Twin Passions (Captive Brides #1)
  • Murder Aboard the Flying Scotsman (Ginger Gold Mysteries #7)
  • Hat Dance (Emilia Cruz Mysteries #2)
  • Everly (Wilder West #1)
  • In Mage We Trust (Of Mystics and Mayhem, #1)
  • Macbeth: The Graphic Novel (Original Text)
A.H. Wang is a contemporary visual artist and author with a deep fascination for ancient history and a passion for adventure. Born in Taiwan and raised in Australia, her travels have taken her across five continents and dozens of countries. Throughout her journey, she became fascinated by the local cultures and the lore of ancient civilisations.

As well as making art and writing, you will find her