Start by marking “The Redgrave Murders” as Want to Read:
The Redgrave Murders

The Redgrave Murders

Loss is inevitable, as Evie Hampton knows all too well. But despite losing her mother to cancer and her older brother to a war, she knows she’s one of the lucky ones. After all, she still has her father, a distinguished professor of medieval history. And she has Gary Redhawk, the man she loves despite the emotional scars he carries from the Second World War—and despite her ...more
Published July 2019 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Redgrave Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Redgrave Murders

Bev Walkling
Many thanks to #NetGalley and Covenant Communications for providing an ARC of the book The Redgrave Murders. What follows is my honest opinion.

I was very pleased to be able to read a copy of this book prior to it’s upcoming publication on July 1st. I have read and enjoyed several other books that A.L. Sowards has written. Most have focused on the World War 2 era but this novel is a little different because it takes place in the years shortly after the end of the war, but for those who like warti
A. L. Sowards
May 01, 2019 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
This book comes out in two months and I’m so excited to share it with the world!

It’s just the kind of mystery I like to read, with bits of history interwoven throughout, lots of suspects, twists that change the way you look at things, a sweet love story, and main characters who I absolutely adore. Naturally it’s a 5-star book to me (that’s the beauty of being an author—you can keep revising until you think the book is amazing), but I won’t rate it because the Goodreads community seems to be tre
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
A.L. Sowards has done it again. She has written a book that I could not put down. I have read seven books written by her and all have been a 4 or 5-star rating. She really is that good.

This story was a different genre, but it was set in the same general time period as some of her books. Usually, she writes war stories, this time she wrote a suspense novel. She used one of the supporting characters in a previous book and it set after he has come home from WWII. He is dealing with PTSD and trying
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I've been reading (and loving) books by A.L Sowards for a long time. She is one of my favorites because her books absolutely come to life in my hands. This book is a bit different than her previous books as it is a mystery instead of a historical fiction, but I'm so happy that it actually felt like a historical fiction because Sowards really knows how to build the time period she is writing about to feel so authentic and real. The beginning of each chapter also includes a snippet of letters that ...more
Julie Carpenter
Calling all you lovers of suspense and mystery. I've got a great book recommendation for you. The Redgrave Murders! Wow. From the very beginning of the book the reader is introduced to Evie Hampton in a slight moment of peril. And the moments of peril and suspense just keep coming throughout the whole book. Even when you (or rather, I) think you know whodunnit you're still left guessing with the twists and turns thrown out at you.

And the murders can be a little heartbreaking. Don't let down your
Lucinda
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. Excellent writing, amazing characters, and the setting is very engaging, both the small town and the historical part.

The historical setting sets the mood for the mystery, what with the economic, social, and political climates of the time. This was very well done, as I truly had a sense that wouldn't feel the same with a contemporary setting.

When I started reading, the feeling I immediately had was one of the same kind of quality that old black & white mystery movie
Sheila
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read many books by this author. Most of the other books were about characters in the middle of a war. The battle scenes were some of the best I'd ever read. I loved how this new book dealt with the after-effects of WWII.

The Redgrave Murders, of course, is full of suspense right from the start. This novel was one that I sat down to read and only put it down to eat. This is what I love about Summer reading. One of the most engaging aspects of this novel are the letters at the beginning of ea
Mindy
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to read this book, as I have enjoyed all the books I have read from this author. When I started reading, it felt like I was right there with the characters, like watching an old movie from the '40s. Right away the reader is caught up in a web of suspense and the author does an excellent job of setting up the story. I loved the way each chapter started, as we get to know Evie's brother through his letters to her during the war. Evie is a fantastic character. I also enjoyed the ...more
Jeff Dawson
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I received a copy from the publisher for an honest opinion.

This is a great whodunnit story. The story centers around Redgrave University and the following characters: Evelyn Hampton, her dad, mom, brother Clive, Aunt Janice, cousins Frank and Dale and her boyfriend, Gary Redhawk a Seneca Indian.
The setting is 1948 in Maplewich, New York. Evelyn lost her mother to cancer and her brother on Okinawa. It is just she and her dad carrying on the family name. Dad is a prestigious professor at Redg
Charity Jacob
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Redgrave Murders by A. L. Sowards is a historical novel post WWII that has three different elements to the story. History, Murder Mystery, and my favorite…Romance. Though I love the other elements as well, but romance has a special place in my heart.

History…I’ve always been a lover of WWII history ever since I read Dean Hughes’ Children of the Promise series. So reading this book as helped me glean more about the war era, specifically post war and the PTSD veterans faced.

Murder Mystery…Who d
Karlene Browning
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unlike many of the novels by A.L. Sowards, this one is not set on the battlefield. It takes place back at home, at the end of WWII. But the war still haunts the people and events of this book.

I love a good mystery/suspense, and at its heart, that’s what this story is—but there’s also a strong romance running through it. It deals with so many themes: loss, grief, betrayal, prejudice, interracial relationships. And then there’s the mystery of who is killing people Evie’s hometown.

This book started
Emily Flynn
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It kept me guessing. That for me is the most important thing in the mystery/suspense genre. I like to figure it out, but I don't want it to be too easy to figure out. This book was perfectly balanced. I was given an advanced copy of the ebook from the publisher and couldn't put it down. I thought I had it figured out a couple of times, there were enough red herrings to throw me off the real scent.

I really felt for the MC in this book as she tries to unravel what is going on around her and keep
Cathy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE a good suspense book! And this is a good one. It’s a bit different from the way A.L. Sowards usually writes, but that’s a good thing!

I loved Evie in this book. Evie is a young woman living in the time period just after World War II. She’s lost her mom and older brother before the story starts. She lives with her dad. And her boyfriend is Gary.

There is a lot of things with this time period that the author did a good job including in this novel. The way Gary would have been looked at becaus
Lindsey
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a suspenseful book, that I thoroughly enjoyed. It seemed like everything was going wrong in Evie's life and throughout the book things go from bad to worse. Somehow they need to figure out who is behind these grievous murders. This was an intriguing read. Thanks to NetGalley for the chance to review this great read.
Connie
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley and Covenant Communications for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review of this book.

Having already been a fan of A. L. Sowards I was excited to read her new book. This one did not disappoint! If you enjoy books whose characters engage you from start to finish and keep you guessing on the “who done it”, this book is for you.

This one was also a bit of a surprise in that her other books, that I have read, were historical fiction based on WWII. While there is some ref
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
THE REDGRAVE MURDERS is one of those stories that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's set in an historic small town, among prejudice and misunderstanding shortly after WWII, and focuses on an interracial couple and the danger that stalks them. The characters are complex, likable, with plenty of chemistry between them. Highly recommended to romantic suspense fans!

This story was emotional, suspenseful, and at the same time, very sweet. I'm assuming it was a difficult story to write, because i
Lori
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the who done it!! It gave me a break in my normal reading genre. I also loved it because it was told in first person genre.
The author has done a really great job with the characters' emotions and in bringing them to life!! This is an actionpacked adventure if you're in the mood for such a read!! She makes you feel like you're really in the book!! I didn't want to leave but I had to. So sad. Hopefully there will be a sequal to this awesome book!! .
Evie and Gary make a great team
Sydney
From page one the author weaves together a story that will put readers on the edge of their seat and leave them guessing what will happen next. There are twists and turns in the story that readers will not be able to guess, especially when it comes to who the murderer is. Sowards is a talented writer the brings her story and characters to life off the pages, creating a story in which readers feel almost as if they are a bystander within the story. This romantic suspense story will keep readers a ...more
Sara Cardon
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed "The Redgrave Murders." The main characters, Evie and Gary, are interesting, especially together. Gary, as a Seneca Indian, is a unique character to see navigating the social and political climate of post-WWII. I was delighted to recognize him from "Defiance" as "Red."

I love the time period and details, like the clothing, cars, housing shortage, and GIs attending college. The understanding and treatment of PTSD was lacking at the time and plays an interesting role in the story. Besides
Stella Potts
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. A historical suspense set in 1944 and 1948. An era when dating an Indian was frowned upon. Evie and Gary have trouble not only with small town folks but also with family who are not happy with their relationship. Then Gary is accused of murder and Evie begins her own investigation to prove his innocence. Told in the first person POV this will keep you guessing until the very end. If you are a fan of suspense and/or WWII history you will not want to miss this book. I rece ...more
Gretchen M.
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I did receive a free #netgalley copy of this book for review purposes.
I really enjoyed this clean romantic suspense book. Set right after World War 2, this provides for an excellent setting. One of the storylines deals with the PTSD that soldiers would have dealt with after the war. What is fascinating is the author talks about the terminology for PTSD that would have been used back then. Although I did have a good idea of who might be the villain, there were definitely enough twists and t
Kelly Nelson
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the opening scene, The Redgrave Murders keeps you guessing with plot twists and unexpected turns. I love how this murder mystery gives you a rewarding romance as well as a taste of post World War II history. Sowards makes the scenes and dialogue feel true to the era and the characters are both complex and unique. With a Native American dating the Caucasian main character my eyes were opened to some of the challenges of that time period. Threads of tension make this a fast-paced read.
Cristie Underwood
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
Julie
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. The mystery kept me listening, while the multiple suspects and motives were intriguing and broad. The story takes several turns, and I found myself yelling at the heroine not to go a certain place or believe a certain person. I was completely absorbed in this story!
Debbie
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Evie Hampton is a strong and independent woman for her time, but then she has to be. Losing her mother to cancer and her brother Clive in the Pacific has left an indelible mark on her life. It makes her ever more thankful for her father, a distinguished professor of medieval history at Redgrave University, and her boyfriend Gary Redhawk, a veteran and handsome Seneca Indian who carries emotional scars from a troubled childhood and a war he can’t forget.

Although Evie’s father disapproves of her r
Spencer Kraus
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC copy from the publisher and thought I'd share my honest opinion. :)

This was a really good book. I loved the setting and the characters, and the suspense of trying to solve the case kept you reading and trying to figure it out yourself. The first scene of the book, with Evie in the car, seemed a little too early for me since I didn't yet have any emotional attachment to her yet, but looking back now I don't think there could have been a better way for the book to start. I especi
Jacqui Huntley
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story set in the early 1950s America and with all of the prejudices of the times. Evie loses her father, an eccentric history Professor, having lost her mother to cancer and her brother to WW2. She has a loving boyfriend who served gallantly in the war, survived but has grim repercussions about both the war and his upbringing - he being a Native American. They, too, have problems with being a so-called mixed couple and many of the locals not accepting him for who he is. Her father is murdered, ...more
Kristy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A. This was a great book. I so enjoyed it as much as I’ve enjoyed all of your other books. Keep writing and I’ll keep reading.
Cassidy
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed her writing style. This story is set in a post WWII time period. It is full of murder, mystery, and romance. Evie’s father is murdered and her boyfriend is framed. She has to prove his innocence before the murderer strikes again. The suspense of who did it will have you keep turning the pages to find out! Fun mystery and sweet romance all in one book.

Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for sending me the ARC in exchange of my honest opin
Shauna
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO INTRIGUING! Multiple story lines intertwine with each other to bring a rich reading experience. You will read about cut brake lines, falling bookcases, letters from the front line of war, post traumatic stress disorder, and interracial relationships, just to name a few; all while trying to solve a murder mystery. SO. GOOD!
I love books, so that makes Goodreads my favorite social media site. As a reader, I enjoy a variety of books. As a writer, I create historical novels with a wholesome mix of action, adventure, and romance. My novels include a Whitney Award winner and several Whitney finalists.

I grew up in Washington State, then came to Utah to attend BYU. I’m still in Utah, where I live with my husband, three chil