Start by marking “Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)

Heated Rivalry

(Game Changers #2)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  7,041 ratings  ·  1,348 reviews
Nothing interferes with Shane Hollander’s game—definitely not the sexy rival he loves to hate.

Pro hockey star Shane Hollander isn’t just crazy talented, he’s got a spotless reputation. Hockey is his life. Now that he’s captain of the Montreal Voyageurs, he won’t let anything jeopardize that, especially the sexy Russian whose hard body keeps him awake at night.

Boston Bears
Published March 25th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Heated Rivalry, please sign up.
Rachel Reid Nope! It's a standalone. It will spoil some events that happen in the first book, but other than that you can read it without reading Game Changer!…moreNope! It's a standalone. It will spoil some events that happen in the first book, but other than that you can read it without reading Game Changer!(less)
Rachael I don't think this book requires any knowledge or appreciation of hockey or sports generally to read and enjoy. I mean, I'm a fan, personally (and a p…moreI don't think this book requires any knowledge or appreciation of hockey or sports generally to read and enjoy. I mean, I'm a fan, personally (and a picky fan at that!), so maybe I'm not the best person to answer this question for you, but I genuinely think this story is incredibly enjoyable to fans and nonfans alike, and there are some very highly rated reviews you can read below from people who describe themselves as knowing nothing about sports or hockey.

I will say, though: if you HATE sports and dread any reference to it, you should steer clear of this book. There's a good amount of sports discussion in this book -- not in a boring play-by-play way of course (don't worry!), but in the whole this-is-their-lives-so-yeah-it's-mentioned way: there are a few in-game scenes between the two characters, but it's focused less on the game and more on the interaction between the two guys (some funny banter that is maybe more enjoyable if you understand the reference); there are some off-ice scenes with teammates and family where hockey gets mentioned (but again, it's more a vehicle for showing the relationships, and I think Rachel Reid does a good job of giving you any and all context you might need to understand what's happening or being discussed); and there's definitely discussion of stigmas in sports and how being a professional athlete affects a person's life (you see road trips, you see charity work, etc., but, again, the book tells you everything you need to know, if anything).

So, yeah: if you hate sports or would be put off by reading mentions of teammates or of other elements of the game and lifestyle, then you should probably skip this book. But if you're neutral to it and just aren't a fan yourself, I'd say this book is definitely worth a try! There's so much here to the relationship between these two guys, and the progression is just done so well and beautifully, that this stands out to me as one of the best mm romances out there, not just one of the best mm sport romances out there.(less)

·  7,041 ratings  ·  1,348 reviews

Start your review of Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
chan ☆
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to chan ☆ by: Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
when hayley gives you an MM romance recommendation, just take it

THIS WAS SO FCKING GOOD! and proves why i shouldn't film my best of videos until like... after december is over lol. this is probably my favorite enemies to lovers romance of all time. there were HIGH stakes, TONS of steamy scenes, and a relationship that built over YEARS. it felt like this book was written just for me.

i think my main gripe about enemies to lovers is that authors are so quick to jump from characters that loathe each
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I loooooved Heated Rivalry, and thanks to Rachel Reid, I'm on a total book high right now.

I have a weakness for hockey players and hockey romances, so I felt compelled to try another book in Rachel Reid's hockey series even though I didn't love Game Changer. And I'm SO glad I did because Heated Rivalry gave me all the feels.

Though the book has lots of sex in it, it's still a romance-first story, even though that romance is slow burn and takes a long time to get there. I loved seeing these two
Judith

They hated each other but they couldn't keep their hands off each other...

Not so much enemies to lovers but enemies AND lovers.... nothing better ( this stuff makes me swoon)

This book pushed all my buttons in the very best way.I absolutely loved it.

Fierce rivalry on the ice rink and even fiercer passion between the sheets.

Shane and Ilya are both 19 when come into the media spotlight.Not just because they're such promising young players but their hatred for each other becomes legendary.Wouldn
Shile
GAAAAAAHHH!!!! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!

As for the Audiobook, let's just say it is tolerable. I bumped the speed up and it worked. Good thing the story is fantastic.

"I hate you."
"I know, Now Suck my dick"

That is so sexy!!! Ilya!! GAAAAAAAHH!!!

*************************************************
“I want to be in your lap when you fuck me. Facing you. Holding you.”

description

GAAAAAAAH!!! BOOKS! BOOKS! And MORE BOOKS! Where would I be without BOOKS?

Warning! GUSHING! GUSHING AND MORE GUSHING!!!

MC 1: Shane

MC 2: Ilya

L
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Heated Rivalry, which can be read as a standalone, is very different from the first book in the series. It's edgier and has bitter undertones, while the first book was all sweetness.

This is a true enemies-to-lovers story in that the two MCs are huge rivals on the ice while fucking each other's brains out off the ice. Their torrid affair is super hush-hush.

The story spans several years. There is some angst, a lot of smokin' sexy times, and a strong HFN.

I loved both MCs and the secondary charact
Corina
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Check out my most FAVORITE ENEMIES TO LOVERS ROMANCES

UPDATE: Second read was as good as first time around - love these two so much ♥︎
UPDATE 2021: I'm still so in LOVE with this book and couple!!!
___________________________________

Wow what a book!!

Epic, sexy, and one of the best MM stories so far!!

It's also one of the best enemies to lovers novels I ever read.

I finished Heated Rivalry in one sitting. Actually read until 1am, thanks to it being a Saturday and I didn't have to stop reading. I was h
Wendys Wycked Words
08/25/21 Had to do another reread. Still just as awesome ;)

I really enjoyed the first book in this series Game Changer I mean who doesn't love a good gay "sports" romance ?? And hey...we are talking hockey here !!

But I've got to be honest and say that this second book, outshined the first one by miles ... for me that is. I absolutely loved this book and I fell head over heels in love with Ilya Rozanov...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor marry me please gif

This one has one of my favorite tropes... "enemies to lovers" Boy, do these two know how to
moonlight ☾
reread (47821): september 2021

will my love for Shane and Ilya ever fade? will i ever get tired of rereading this book?

*alexa play never ever by got7* 🤪

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

reread: august 2021

5++ stars

“It was. It really…made me hopeful. That things might be changing.”
Ilya shot the puck back to Shane. “It made me jealous,” he admitted.
Shane laughed. "You wanna kiss me on television?"
“Yes. After I win the Stanley cup.”

Ilya and Shane will always have a special place in my heart. honestly, eve
mwana
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Sports Romance
Recommended to mwana by: Shile
Reasons you should read this book:

Ilya motherfucking Rozanov.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Reread: 6/12/21

I couldn't resist after finishing Role Model. I wasn't quite ready to leave the hockey bublé just yet.

Was still phenomenal the 2nd time around too. I love these two together more than words can say.

🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒

True story. I read the first book in this series AFTER I read the blurb for this one.

One might say a solid case could be made for me having a "problem" with the enemies to lovers trope based on this information so... let's just keep it between us, k?

Ilya Rozano
Simone
Reread July 2021: Audiobook = ***3 Stars***

**********************

Original review April 2019:

Lordy lord, have mercy on my ovaries! LOL

Shane pushed the other man back against the shower wall and kissed him aggressively. It was always like this. Shoving and cursing each other and battling for control until one of both of them gave in and allowed themselves the release they both craved.

Damn, this story is an almost perfect hockey rivalry romance and soooo ticked
Bhavya Marya
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, all-time-favs
This was so FUCKING good. I have no words honestly.
Their banter had me going like this for half the book.

description

You know you're in love with a book when you immediately start from the begining to read it again. True story.
I've also re-read this book countless times since the first time I read it.

When I went into this book, I thought I was just gonna read another enemies-to-lovers book. But this story just stands out for me in that genre. It's one of the best M/M romances I've ever had the pleasure of
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Jun 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, sports
Heated Rivalry is book two in the Game Changers series by Rachel Reid. This is my very first book by Rachel and I am head over heels in love. This book is part of a series but can definitely be read as a stand alone. You can bet though, that I’m going back now and reading the first book in the series!

This book begins with the present. If you are someone (like me) who likes the sheets to get messed up early on in the book, then you won’t be disappointed. But then the author takes us back to the b
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Dear Heated Rivalry:

Listened to the entire audiobook in one day. Amazing, as expected. I'm obsessed with this book.

Re-read in audio, read my ebook review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Karla
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Re read December 2020

This book was super hot! The MC’s had the most delicious chemistry. I didn’t feel like it was an enemies to lovers though it was more they were competitive since they both started their hockey careers together and in opposite teams. It was fun to see how they pushed each other in the rink plus that competitiveness made their attraction even more sexy. I was surprised how much I liked the way that story was structured and the angst was what I like nothing OTT. It was heartbre
Alisa
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had not cared much for the first book in the series but I saw so many glowing reviews of this one I decided to give this one a try. Turns out this author is not going to be for me.

It started really good. For the first 15% or so I thought this was going to be a great read. We meet Shane and Ilya in their current messed up situation and then it jumps back in time to them being teenage rookies and just meeting. Then I realized this was a pattern. They meet up, have sex, leave. Meet up, have sex,
Jan
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hot, clever and fun.
Super entertaining!
I think it's a must.
~Mindy Lynn~
4 Stars!

So much angst!

I'm not a huge fan of angst that lasts throughout the majority of the book. I really hate it when the characters don't get it together until the book is almost over. I don't enjoy going back and forth from the past to the now. So with this book having all of that it really shouldn't have worked for me... Yet it did.

I liked seeing how it began and how the relationship developed throughout their teens into their late 20's. It gives the reader a chance to get to know the ch
Llakshmi
“Oh, is it a clear night?”
“Yes. Of course. And I will get on one knee—”
“Ilya—”
“And I will say, ‘Shane Hollander, will you please marry me so I can become Canadian citizen faster?’”
Shane burst out laughing, and shoved him. “You’re such an asshole.”
“And you will say yes, because you are a nice, helpful guy.”

I had to reread it🤷‍♀️
Nark
i reread this and YES i upgraded my rating to 5 stars. i don’t know what i was thinking giving it just 4. blasphemy!
Moony Eliver
Hi. So... yeah. I loved the forking hell out of this story. As I read it, I kept expecting that saccharine (or a variety of different overboard elements) was right around the corner, but it never happened. The banter was on point, the protagonists were robust and stayed in character, the relationship was sexy and excellent and kept its tension throughout. Also, I might need to be a hockey fan now. Which is at least good timing, right here in the middle of the playoffs.
Adam

Well damn. Straight to the favourites shelf.

'Heated Rivalry' delivered on everything - great characters, a lot of heat, enemies to lovers, forbidden love, heat, some comedy, heat, so many feels...

...also did I mention the HEAT ?

Rising hockey stars Shane Hollander and Ilya Rozanov really do begin as enemies from the get-go. It's not simply that they're competing for the same prize - they just can't stand each other.

Ilya's a total douchenozzle, while Shane's has the golden-boy holier-t
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Sports reads are one of my favorite genre's. Add in a little enemies to lovers and I am one happy gal. I thought this was a great addition to the series.

While I found the first half a bit slow and repetitive, I was never bored. I think the build up of their relationship was important, but I just wanted them to hurry up and get to the part where Ilya and Shane weren’t just a hook-up for each other.

No unnecessary drama which is always a plus. Great chemistry, some good banter, and plen
Leslie
**Read yet again because I’m a whore for Ilya. 😍 I blame the new book. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 8/13/21-8/14/21

**Did I reread this again because I needed to spend time with Ilya after reading the new book? Yes, yes I did. Don’t judge me! 9/25/20-9/26/20.

**Yet another reread. 4/25/20-4/26/20. I still love this book so much. It’s a comfort read for me.

**Second reread 7/29/19-7/30/19

**Reread: I’m upgrading my review to five stars because two reads later and I’m still obsessed with Ilya and Shane. Love, love, love t
Joshita ❤
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: whoever wants to read an amazing sports MM romance
Recommended to Joshita ❤ by: Devanshi
4.5★

why do the best books have the cringest covers ever! Please just IGNORE the damn cover and read the goddamn book!
"Are you getting tired of second place?" Rozanov smirked.
"I'm winning this game," Shane growled.
"There is not an 'I' in team, right?"
"There's and 'I' in 'suck my dick.'"
Rozanov raised an eyebrow as they bent for the face-off.
“There is also an ‘I’ in ‘silver,’” he said.

This...was so good *sobs*. I wanna cry because of how single I feel right now *voice cracks*
I had my doubts man!
Dia
4,5 stars

This is the second book in the Game Changers series by Rachel Reid. I haven't read the first book but I can honestly say this can be read as a stand-alone.

I'm not a fan of stories that span over many years, but here it worked for me. It starts in the present but then goes back to when the main characters met and their story is revealed slowly.

Shane Hollander and Ilya Rozanov are enemies on the ice but they just can't keep the distance. The attraction is huge! In bed they are like fire.
Rachel Reid
Sep 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Heated Rivalry is the second book in the Game Changers series and it is Ilya Rozanov's story! I had a lot of fun writing this one. It's pretty different from Game Changer. It's not quite enemies-to-lovers, but if you're a fan of that trope this might be for you. ...more
Eugenia
Audiobook June 2020: 5 Stars!! Tor Thom delivered on this book. I was scared to do this audiobook because of the horrible experience I had with book one in the series. I needn’t have worried—he was phenomenal here! 👏👏

Original ebook review - July 2019
HOT & SWEATY Enemies-to-Lovers!!!

Maybe enemies-to-hook-ups-to-enemies over and over before the LOVERS part came into play!! 4.5 Growly Stars!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

HOCKEY FANS REJOICE!! 👏👏👏 This was a HOT 🔥🔥 and DELICIOUS treat with a lot of alpha posturing on a
Oshiiy
Re-read 15/06/2020
5 stars ⭐️Wow, I abso-fucking-lutely love this book. how could anyone not love this story? Shane and Ilya are everything I expect from a book. Every time I read it, I couldn't shake off the ridiculous grin on my face. The story never gets old. I want to read it again and again, still, the story would give me the same heartbeat as the first time I read it.

The very reason you should read this book is Ilya fucking Rosanov and Shane stupid Hollander. Their banter was enough to put
Turning Pages At ...: Heated Rivalry (Game Changers #2) by Rachel Reid 69 44 Jan 09, 2020 12:25PM

• Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey, #2)
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities, #1)
  • The Understatement of the Year (The Ivy Years, #3)
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey, #1)
  • Line Mates & Study Dates (CU Hockey, #4)
  • Goal Lines & First Times (CU Hockey, #3)
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • The Endgame (Atlanta Lightning, #1)
  • Power Play (Scoring Chances, #3)
  • Him (Him, #1)
  • Try Me (Extracurricular Activities #2)
  • Empty Net (Scoring Chances, #4)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Us (Him, #2)
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend, #4)
  • Jude (Lucky #3)
  • The Last Text
  • Roommate
See top shelves…
Rachel Reid is the pen name of Rachelle Goguen. She chose it because it is much easier to say, spell and remember than Rachelle Goguen!

Rachel writes cute, romantic smut, mostly about hockey players. Her Game Changers m/m hockey romance series is available from Carina Press.

Rachel/Rachelle lives in Nova Scotia, Canada. She has always lived there, and it's looking like she probably always will. She

Game Changers (6 books)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • Role Model (Game Changers, #5)
  • The Long Game (Game Changers #6)

News & Interviews

As the summer comes to a close and the days grow shorter, it's natural that we're drawn to what hides in the shadows. Mystery stories are...
“…And I want to learn Russian. I wasn’t kidding about that.”

“I’ll teach you.”

Shane smiled so wide and bright, Ilya almost had to look away.

“I should let you sleep,” Shane said.

“Da. Yes. Okay.”

And then… Shane kissed the tips of two fingers and reached out and touched them to the screen. And Ilya’s heart fucking stopped.”
14 likes
“I give Hunter shit, but what he did was brave. Kissing his boyfriend on TV like that. And the speech at the awards.”
“It was. It really…made me hopeful. That things might be changing.”
Ilya shot the puck back to Shane. “It made me jealous,” he admitted.
Shane laughed. "You wanna kiss me on television?"
"Yes. After I win the Stanley cup."
Shane spread his arms out. "Oh, so in this scenario, you've just defeated me?"
"Yes. Sorry."
“I’m not going to be in the mood to kiss you if I’ve just lost the Stanley Cup, Rozanov.”
“But you would be so proud of me!”
11 likes