Start by marking “Girl in the Rearview Mirror” as Want to Read:
Girl in the Rearview Mirror

Girl in the Rearview Mirror

The young nanny for a prominent political family gets drawn into a web of deadly lies—including her own—in this stunning debut thriller with the menacing twists of Megan Abbott and the exquisite suspense of Laura Lippman.

"An exciting, intoxicating debut, it will hold you until its startling final pages.”
—Megan Abbott, bestselling author of Dare Me and Give Me Your Hand

They
Kindle Edition
Published June 18th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Girl in the Rearview Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in the Rearview Mirror

Katie B
Decent story but the characters were duds. Despite the fact there was some backstory provided, I still didn't quite get the main character, Finn. It's a shame the characters were the problem here rather than the plot. Usually it's the other way around.

Finn Hunt is the nanny for 4 year old Amabel, the daughter of Philip and Marina Martin. Philip's father is a senator in Arizona, and the hope is one day Philip will be able to slide in and take his seat once his father decides to step down. Despite
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

The title intrigued me from the start. Does it mean not looking back? Does it mean looking the other way? Does it mean keeping your secrets and your past hidden?

We meet Finn whose real name is Natalie, but she doesn't tell anyone because she wants to hide her past.

Finn left her home and moved to Arizona, worked in the office of a Senator's son, and then became the nanny for his four-year-old daughter.

Everyone seemed to have secrets, told lies, were manipulative, and users. Some of the characters
Dennis
Girl in the Rearview Mirror is a domestic/family drama with a political thriller flair. This book's slowburning build-up really didn't amount to the amount of action I was expecting. The characters weren't likable and the plot wasn't anything super original. It's definitely a good beach read, but it just wasn't for me.
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was slow starting out but when it got good it got really good. I did not like the ending at all. I must say the good parts were good parts. (Ha HA Like that). But I like Finn the detective is what I like to call her. She had her nose in everything.
I will be looking for Dimberg's next book.
I gave this book 3.5 stars. Pick up a copy and let me know what you think about it.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expre
TL
I won this via goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
----

3.25-3.5 stars

It was a good story but for me it was more mystery and suspense and light on the thriller part. Maybe cause I've read many in this drama and watch lots of Dateline on ID. *shrugs*

It kept me intrigued from beginning to end:)

Not as sure what else to say about this.. it didn't blow me away but it was still a decent read.
Diana Iozzia (Bookworm Banter)
“Girl in the Rearview Mirror”
Written by Kelsey Rae Dimberg
Review written by Diana Iozzia

“Girl in the Rearview Mirror” was a very divisive thriller for me. I think that my interest level in this book was high when I first began, but I grew less and less interested as I continued to read. The book follows the story of Finn (female), who becomes entangled with many mysteries surrounding the political family she works for. Finn is shady, all on her own, from the secrets she hides and the stories she
TXGAL1
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Start your summer off with this sizzling debut novel from Kelsey Rae Dimberg, GIRL IN THE REARVIEW MIRROR. It is fast-paced and brings the heat.

Finn is an interior designer stuck in a boring office job to pay off her college debt when, through a stroke of luck, she is offered the position of nanny to pretty and precocious Amabel, the four year-old granddaughter of a current Arizona senator and member of a politically powerful and privileged family.

Senator Jim Martin is in the midst of a re-elect
Lois
This starts off somewhat intriguing but never really finds it feet. The main character was unsympathetic to me after expressing her bullshit opinion about how the political climate is hard on white men. Again, no one cares that white men are now facing minor consequences, that largely amount to inconveniences, when they are outed in racist, sexist, antisemtic, transphobic or homophobic statements, actions or policies. Relax, white men are still allowed to be bullies, they're just gonna be called ...more
Cheryl
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok, so I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked it as far as thrillers go but at the same time I felt it was lacking on the strong character connection and storyline.

From the summary, I knew that everyone had a secret and no one was innocent. Yet, when all of the cards were laid on the table, the secrets were not that jar dropping. Maybe I am being a bit harsh as this is my favorite genre. Finn's secret was most disappointing. I thought it was going to be something huge. Not to excuse wha
Joann
First of all, I won this ARC book through a Goodread's Giveaway. Thanks to all for making this possible and for me to leave an honest review. Thanks also to William Morrow of HarperCollins Publishers. My first thought while reading this book was "Where have you been hiding this talented author?". I believe this is her debut but it doesn't read like one. This author will definitely be on my radar for up-coming books. This is a dazzlingly, twisty and great psychological novel that had me flipping ...more
Sonica
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you, William Morrow Books for my copy of Girl in the Rearview Mirror, in exchange for my honest review.  This title released June 18, 2019.

Finn Hunt (formerly Natalie) is the nanny to Amabel Martin, the granddaughter of Arizona’s Senator.  Amabel's parents are Philip and Marina; Philip is next in line for the position of Senator once his father steps down from office and this family has a whole closet of secrets to hide.

Finn stumbled upon the job of many to young Amabel by accident and I n
Denise  Reed
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Girl in the Rearview Mirror is a debut novel by author, Kelsey Rae Dimberg. The premise of the book was intriguing - power and politics intermingled with secrets and scandal; however, despite some flashes of brilliance, the book was disappointing overall.

Finn Hunt is the nanny for the young daughter of Philip and Marina Martin. Philip's father is a senator in Arizona, and Philip is being groomed as his father's replacement upon retirement. Finn, who is overly fascinated with Philip, feels like
Melissa
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was ok, but suffers from a plethora of awful characters. I read some other reviews and I'm definitely not alone in my thinking this. The basic plot is fairly good, but I could not even bring myself to care about any of these characters in the slightest.
Finn is flat. Her armchair detective work serves absolutely no purpose in the story other than to make her seem off balance and more bizarre. At one point she thought her drink was being drugged with sleeping pills, so what does she do?
Brooklyn Tayla
Very interesting- I have a lot of thoughts about this one, review to come upon or shortly after Australian Publication date- thank you Pan Macmillan Australia for providing me with a copy of this book to review.
Susanne Gulde
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is well written, but I just couldn't get into the story or care about the characters and their actions. I thought the plot wandered and was too long.
I wondered as I was reading it if was written for readers much younger than I am, who would enjoy it much more.
Hallie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading an advance copy of this book. It's my kind of book, the story of a 'good girl,' a nanny for the young granddaughter of a powerful political figure. She's running away from secrets in her past, trying to start over, but she's running smack into danger. It's about class differences. The perils of trying to reinvent yourself. The power of money and politics. A page turner that leaves the reader with lots to think about.
Heather
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Editorial note: I received a copy of Girl in the Rearview Mirror in exchange for a review.

Girl in the Rearview Mirror by Kelsey Rae Dimberg is an original modern noir packed with suspense and intrigue. Full review can be found on Book Club Chat: https://bookclubchat.com/books/review...

Meet Phoenix’s first family: Phillip Martin, son of the sitting Senator, an ex-football player destined to step into his father’s seat when the time is right; his wife Marina, the stylish and elegant director of P
Kristin
I won this book on a Goodreads first reads giveaway.

I'm actually really surprised by this book.

It took me a while to actually get into it because I thought the pacing at the beginning was pretty slow. However, I thought the characters were really well developed and it more than made up for the inching plot.

When the plot finally starts picking up steam it doesn't stop until the end.

Definitely don't let the slow start stop you from giving this a chance, the characters grow on you and before you kn
M
Jun 24, 2019 added it
i always appreciate the heavy handed use of the arizona desert as a character.
Onceinabluemoon
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing memorable, just an average read for me...
Laura Basaldua
Well ... That was just disappointing ....
Clarissa Carter
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best psychological thrillers I've ever read. Keeps you on your toes right up to the end.
Lynn
Jun 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book is awful. The author had the writing style of a teenager that just learned what a simile is. Very cringy and hard to get through. This book drags on slowly, full of paragraphs of unnecessary and elementary descriptives. All of the characters are unlikeable as well. No main theme shines through. A truly disappointing debut book for this author.
Stephen
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finn Finn Finn.... What a stupid character, why does she do the things she does!? I found myself yelling at the book while reading. The character development is a little weak (what you see is what you get) still definitely a fun read.
SS

3 stars

This was a decent read with some surprises; although, I saw a hint of the ending early on. The characters were less than likable, even the main character who tells the story, Finn. I never could buy into her or, to be honest, any of the others, save Ammy. They were little more than cardboard cutouts. I found that the book would veer off into too much unnecessary description and my attention would wander. Don’t get me wrong, there are some great surprise plot developments, but while I did
Alexis Behnke
I really did not know what to expect from this book when I first started. I was lucky enough to win it in in a competition through goodreads. The description has all the things that I find intriguing: mystery, high class lifestyle, and a political family. Unfortunately this book was not as intriguing as I hoped it would be. There were some days that I did not read the book, because of my lack of interest in the storyline. A great aspect of the book is that it takes one big turn that you will mos ...more
Kathy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Girl in the Rearview Mirror by Kelsey Rae Dimberg is an intriguing mystery set in the world of politics.

Nanny Finn Hunt delights in caring for rambunctious four year old Amabel  Martin. Her parents Philip and Marina Martin are influential in the local community. Philip's father, Senator Jim Martin is up for re-election in a tight race. When Amabel points out a young woman whom she says has been following her,  Finn is initially skeptical of her claims. But once the woman approaches her
Cheryl
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
This debut novel had me turning pages as fast as I could read!! A thrilling three hundred and eighty-four pages of entertainment!

After graduating from college Finn, as she likes to be called, leaves Illinois and her secrets behind and doesn't look back in her rearview mirror as she drives on to Arizona. She is the new Finn, mature, reserved and artistic.

As fate has it, she meets Philip Martin, son of Senator James Martin. As their relationship grows, Philip hires her to be a nanny to his and his
Connie Fischer
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Finn Hunt spent the day with Amabel Martin, age 4, at the holiday festival in Arizona. Her family was there as well camaigning. Amabel is the granddaughter of Senator Jim Martin and the daughter of Jim’s son, Philip Martin and his wife Marina. Finn is Amabel’s nanny. Jim’s campaign against a Democrat hasn’t been going well. Philip plans to run for his father seat next term. Finn’s boyfriend, Bryant, also works in the political arena.

Marina is the typical politician’s wife keeping busy with chari
A. S.
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Girl in the Rearview Mirror” follows Finn Hunt, the nanny for little Amabel whose wealthy parents—Philip and Marina Martin—are the son and daughter-in-law of Senator Jim Martin, who’s running for re-election. Which is why the timing is particularly bad when Finn is approached by a red-haired woman who begins stalking the family, claiming a connection with Philip. Against her better judgment, Finn, who is also dating a man who works for the Senator, becomes entangled in the family’s tragedies an ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I’m Kelsey Rae Dimberg, author of GIRL IN THE REARVIEW MIRROR—a debut novel about a nanny who becomes embroiled in a powerful family’s secrets, set in the blistering heat of an Arizona summer. CrimeReads called it one of the Most Anticipated Crime Books of Summer.

Setting is a major inspiration for me: I’ve moved around frequently, both when I was growing up and as an adult. I’ve lived in Seattle,