Start by marking “Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales” as Want to Read:
Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales

Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales

A Fellowship of Fantasy Anthology

There's just something magical about cats.

Fierce hunters content to rest upon our sofas. Sweet friends but stubbornly independent. Fluffy little murder balls with jellybean toes and razor-sharp claws. It's easier to answer what cats aren't than what they are.

In this purr-fect collection, awesome authors pounce upon the challenge of the myst
Published October 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales

Start your review of Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales
Jenelle
Sep 13, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Not going to give this a star-rating because I'm understandably biased (I have a story in this anthology). However, I will say that these stories were ALL super cute and fun. I don't even think I had a "least favorite" story, and that's very rare for an anthology of short stories (especially as I'm not usually a huge fan of short stories). These were all intriguing, well-written, and wrapped up nicely. Some of them have ties to other story worlds, and I am excited to go read those longer works a ...more
Anonyma'am
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for two reasons:

1. Cats
2. I turned the last page without realizing it and was shocked and disappointed because that was it, that was all. That doesn't happen to me very often with anthologies!

Truly good stories! I'm not sure there was a dud in the bunch!

Cats.
H.L. Burke
Sep 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
was the acquisitions editor on this project, so yep, read it.
C.O. Bonham
I feel like I should preface this by saying, I'm really not a cat person. But after reading this anthology of cat inspired stories, I want one. Especially if it's you know, a magic cat. Which all if these are. What else would you expect? They are the Fellowship of Fantasy after all.

In their Fifth short story anthology the FOF delves into the lore and magic of the humble feline. Okay not that humble. Each one of these stories features a cat of some type. Most are simple house cats. Many can talk.
Katy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for a fun anthology centered around cats. The stories are as different as cats, so there will be one to suit most any reader's taste. Some I liked more than others, but nearly all of them made me wish I had a cat, even though I've never had one! My favorite stories were "Destined for Greatness," "The Honorable Retrieval of Miss Sunbeam Honeydew," "Whisker Width," and "The Cat-Dragon and the Unicorn". But "The Magic of Catnip" was clever, and "Death Always Collects" was especially poign ...more
Kendra Ardnek
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a lot of good ones, but most underwhelmed me. A common problem was a rushed ending plot twist that left me confused.

If you like cats and fantasy of any sort, you'll probably find something in this collection to love, though!
Sharon Hughson
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
With sixteen stories by various authors, there's something for everyone here. Most of the stories were four-star reads. A couple blew me away and earned five stars. There was only one that I couldn't get into and didn't read, which is excellent odds.
If you love cats, you'll find something to adore about this anthology. If you read fantasy, you'll be glad to sample the various authors represented here.
Scott
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paws , Claws, and Magic Tales is such an enjoyable read about cats , yes cats 16 stories of felines that are sometimes more than they seem .
I must admit I like cats lol and I enjoyed every story . And when I got to the end of this I was a bummed that it was over . All of these stories are suitable for children and adults like me lol . And if your not a cat person you very well may be after you read these fantastic stories about cats .
It's free on Amazon ( or it was when I got it a few weeks a
Becca
Skimmed most of the stories. Cats are great and all, but I've never really learned to know one personally because they make me sneeze and itch. I did enjoy "The Witching Hour" by Savannah Jezowski (she's a talented writer!), "Whisker Width" by H. L. Burke, and "The Wild Hunt" by Naomi P. Cohen.
Alyssia Cooke
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant collection of short stories from a wide range of authors that caught my heart and kept me desperate for more. I loved how so many of these authors captured the whims and the arrogance of our feline companions so well, and just how much imagination was showcased throughout. Whether or not you are a fan of shorts, I would thoroughly recommend this anthology; there are no duds on display at all here, which is impressive for a collection with this breadth.

The Witching Hour by Savannah J
Corinne Morier

Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales is a fantasy-cat themed anthology by a group of authors all dedicated to writing clean indie books. I saw chatter about this anthology on Facebook and my writing website Scribophile when it was being planned out, so after the release, I downloaded it on my Kindle and then told myself I'd read it eventually.

The conclusion? I really want a cat. Always have ever since I was a little girl. My parents are allergic to them, though, so I was never able to have a pet cat. Be
Karis
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Paw, Claws, and Magic Tales is the fifth anthology by the Fellowship of Fantasy, a group of fantasy writers with a heart for clean and professional fantasy writing. This is my first time reading one of their anthologies, so while I was already familiar with some of the authors who contributed to it, many of them, with their writing styles were new to me.

I read the sixteen stories over a few evenings and loved how each author took the same theme of cats and applied it so differently. Some of the
Gina Burgess
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good read overall.

The first story nabbed my attention with the first sentence. Loved it and it is worth buying the book. It set a really high standard for the rest of the stories, and for the most part they all lived up to it. Just one story I couldn't get into so didn't finish it. But the rest were good. That is high praise because I'm not generally a fantasy fan.

You don't have to like cats to love these stories. I have always had a cat for a pet and now I have two. They keep me laughi
Anne Wingate
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
New With the Taste of Old

This excellent collection of tales combines the delicious flavor of historic fairy tales with modern elements to create a melange of new and old. It works well,,and as one of our granddaughters once told me, you're never too old for fairy tales.
Ami
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful collection of stories has two things in common: 1. Each involves, to some extent, cats. 2. They are all delightful tales. Some made me laugh and a couple brought tears to my eyes but I greatly enjoyed each one. I highly recommend it and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Eirlys
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cats Galore

I liked the stories about cats, they were different and enjoyable. I would have liked the book to be longer.
Shadowspun
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute stories

Cute Stories. All are very quick reads. Recently edited, no typos that I noticed which always a bonus on free reads
Michele Hermansen
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cats and Magic are always a good pairing. This volume of stories exceeded all my expectations. I enjoyed EVERY one. So much fun, plus interesting twists and turns everywhere. Really fun. Worth every penny—all 99 of 'em. I got an ARC for my honest opinion and bought a copy as well.
Meg Dendler
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun collection of mostly cat featured stories. My favorites were "Whisker Width" and "The Honorable Retrieval of Miss Sunbeam Honeydew."
Susan Otto
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome stories about cats

This is a book about variety of cat stories written by various authors.

Witching Hour-- about a princess whose mother is dying, Kingdom to be run over by dogs, and needing a partner to help her Rule the Kingdom. The cat has magical powers.

Tale of Two Kitlings-- then what just Kingdom whose king and queen gave birth two Siamese twins kitlings, who was conjoined bottom of their spine. Magical being help them retain power by having the tail go from one kitlings to the other
Michael Borachok
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Some stories are good and some bad.

While a few are enjoyable most are so so or seem unfinished as though they are a chapter taken from a full length novel.
Angel Leya
Another excellent collection of short stories. I was lucky enough to get to read some of these stories before publication. The ones I loved totally made it, and the ones I wasn't as sure of were able to really step up their game. Absolutely thrilling to see this come together so beautifully.

As always, here are my favorites:

The Witching Hour by Savannah Jezowski

11.The Witch’s Cat - Rachel Ann Michael Harris

12.The Cat-Dragon a
Susan Marcus
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A group of online authors has assembled an enchanting anthology of fantasy tales, each featuring one of more cats. As the book's title indicates, cats and magic are intertwined in each narrative. A mixed bag of stories results: some tales are mysterious, clever, and intriguing, especially Jeremy Rodden's Death Always Collects and Naomi Cohen's The Wild Hunt. I loved the cleverness and simple message of Pamela Sharp's The Honorable Retrieval of Miss Sunbeam Honeydew, and the sweetness of a few ot ...more
Clinton Sites
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well worth reading - you'll find an author or more to follow (assuming you're a cat person)

The central weave to this collection of shorts is of course Cats - as familiars, what we call normal ad of course magical (but then cats are magical as themselves).
Other than that weave there is no dominant narrative - the collection itself has melancholic stories, wistful ones and down-right belly laughers!
I am not a big fan of fantasy per se unless cats are involved - but here I have been introduced to s
Bettye McKee
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Charming tales of cats and magic

I have attempted to read other anthologies of cat stories, so I didn't have high hopes for this one. Imagine my delight as I read one story after another with a smile on my face. Well, except for the sad one which was a great story even so.

As an example, I thought to myself, "Oh, no. A cat-dragon. What next?" and proceeded to read the most charming little story. It was a pleasure to find these stories written by people who understand cats.

Summer Kiska
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
As with all short story anthologies, I enjoyed some stories and disliked others. That's how taste works, right? I did find that several of the stories needed more polish when it came to plot development, but the stories that were good? Oh, they were gems!

I very much appreciated that all the stories were clearly edited. I never tripped up on bad grammar or missing words. Plus, there just aren't enough stories that involve cats, so yay for an anthology surrounding them!
Gayreth Walden
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Family fare for all.

Wonderful tales for the whole family. Cats, be they friends, guardians, warriors, mages, or even part dragon, they are fantastic creatures. They love us, guard us, advise us to the best of their ability. How fortunate to have the love of a cat. I recommend this book to all of you, be you young or old. (Be sure to share with the children).These are fabulous stories.
Gary &
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice group stories.

This Fellowship of Fantasy book had a much better selection of stories than the previous one I read. I hope they continue their group projects. Each story was unique. There was everything from modern day to mideval settings, as well as other fairytale dimensions. The cat themes should entice cat lovers.
Kristen Walker
A delightful collection of fun cat stories

The stories range from fairy tales to more modern urban fantasy, but they all have cats and magic. It's a fun romp. If you like feline fiction, you'll enjoy at least a few of the tales in this book.

• Future Adventures: Eight Complete Adventure Science Fiction Novels
  • Shadow Magic: Six Strong Heroines of Urban Fantasy
  • Sword & Magic: Eight Fantasy Novels
  • Tea & Croakies (Enchanting Inquiries #1)
  • The Uncommon Rider (The Exceptional S. Beaufont, #1)
  • A Hiss-tory of Magic (A Wonder Cats Mystery, #1)
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • A Soulmark Series: Books 1-3 (Soulmark #1-3)
  • Black Magic Kitten (Familiar Kitten Mysteries #1)
  • Urban Mythic: Thirteen Novels of Adventure and Romance, featuring Norse and Greek Gods, Demons and Djinn, Angels, Fairies, Vampires, and Werewolves in the Modern World
  • Defiant Guardians (Heirs of Destiny, #0.4)
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • On the Knife's Edge - Four Novels to Keep You on the Edge of Your Seat: Bluff City Butcher, Protective, Who By Water, Vengeance
  • Another Stupid Spell (Another Stupid Trilogy #1)
  • Family Ghouls (A Greek Ghouls Mystery #1)
  • Lost Lore: A Fantasy Anthology
  • Circle of Heroes
  • Life Reader
Born in a small town in north central Oregon, H. L. Burke spent most of her childhood around trees and farm animals and was always accompanied by a book. Growing up with epic heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia keeping her company, she also became an incurable romantic.

An addictive personality, she jumped from one fandom to another, being at times completely obsessed with various books, movies, o

News & Interviews