Start by marking “A Crafty Crime (A Stoneybrook Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Crafty Crime (A Stoneybrook Mystery, #1)

A Crafty Crime

(A Stoneybrook Mystery #1)

Recipes from Marisa McClellan, creator of Food in Jars, included: strawberry rhubarb jam and pickled asparagus!

Even small towns have secrets...

Hadley James is finally living the life she's always wanted: making jam and selling it at the local farmers market. When a cat-sitting job turns into a murder investigation, life no longer seems so perfect.

Her twin brother, a de/>Even
Published September 6th 2018 by Kristopherson Press

To ask other readers questions about A Crafty Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Crafty Crime

Start your review of A Crafty Crime (A Stoneybrook Mystery, #1)
JoAn
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was an enjoyable cozy mystery. I like the characters and Ms. Scott's writing made the small town of Stoneybrook come to life. I will definitely be reading more of this series.
Cindy
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicely plotted, a pleasant tale for bedtime and it has some twists. Standalone but is a series. Looking forward to the next one. Recommended.
Barb
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
If you’re looking for a fun story for a day at the beach or relaxing at home in the evening, this is a book for you. The plot is simplistic and the characters are a bit predictable, but there’s a comfortable small-town vibe that makes it enjoyable. There are no plot twists or surprise ending, just a smooth flow of amateur sleuths and locals trying to figure out who murdered the town’s not-so-lovable crank. I breezed through the book, which was just what I was looking for.

Billed as a “cozy” myst
Deserthomemaker
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
It’s a quick and easy cozy mystery. Nothing ground breaking or amazing, but not horrible either. It was okay.
Jae
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recently divorced Hadley is finally living life on her own terms. She makes jam to sell at the local farmer's market and online, she has family and friends to count on, and a side job of taking care of the local harridan's cat. When Hadley goes out to check on Ansel, she finds Edith dead. What at first appeared to be natural causes is soon determined to be a case of murder. Hadley can't resist poking her nose into the investigation, much to the chagrin of her twin brother, Paul, who's a deputy. ...more
Cmoore
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute, fun, cozy story... the first in what I hope turns into a series! I absolutely loved it's sense of place... (Now that I'm thinking about the last couple of cozy mysteries that I've read, I realize that in each of them the protagonists are all pretty firmly grounded, maybe that's a rule for one of these stories...) but, I mention the place in this book because like Hadley, I've grown up in the Pacific Northwest. Also in the summer time, I've been known to haunt our own farme ...more
Karen Field
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I started reading this book in May and finished it in September. That possibly tells you everything. It certainly does me and explains the three-star rating.

I cannot put my finger on what was wrong, but I felt as if I had to drag myself through the pages. In all honesty, I did abandon it at one stage and then thought "no, I want to finish it" and returned to the story.

It's a cozy mystery book so it makes sense that the main character, her twin brother and best friend set
Brianna Belbin
This was an amazing cozy mystery! I love it when the protagonist has a sibling or friend that plays a key role in the book along with her so all of the sleuthing doesn’t fall on herself. A Crafty Crime was full of secrets, lies, suspense, knitting, and jam! The plot and all of the characters are believable, especially for being set in a small town. I enjoyed the recipes from Marissa McClellan and am tempted to try to make them since they sound so good! Jennifer did a great job narrating! She did ...more
Nicole
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I enjoyed the story. Hadley was just interesting enough to keep me engaged. I didn’t guess the mystery so that was nice.

I will preface this rant by saying that I will not let it color my review of the story itself but I think the author needs to talk to real knitters before writing about it. I take umbridge with the way the knitting is described when Hadley goes into the knitting shop. You would not use a size 0 needle with worsted weight yarn. I also really loathe the way Lousie talked down to
Graceann
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this first entry in the Stoneybrook Mystery Series, we meet a newly-divorced jam-maker and get introduced to her friends in their tiny Pacific Northwest town.

As you might imagine with a cozy mystery, this one starts with a murder (it would be pretty atypical if it didn't). A difficult lady is found dead, and everyone eyes everyone else in town with suspicion. She wasn't particularly popular, so there are lots of possibilities as to who killed her.

Hadley, her bestie Suze, and her twin brothe
Krystyna
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Secrets, lies and the jammy truth

An enjoyable read. A twist on the normal small town cozy. Although our jam maker is the heroine the actual sleuthing has been nicely split between her twin brother (a police officer) and her BFF. Thus giving it a more well rounded feel. She has her jam making business as she tries to get over the betrayal that led to her divorce. Apart from a couple of people, no-one knows the real reason and consequently life had been a struggle as most have sided with her e
Candy Laine
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Started a new series of cosy mysteries quite by accident. However I enjoyed the book enough to get through the remaining books in the series. The town of Stoneybrook is a serene little place where everyone knows everyone and things are always familiar. Then an old lady is murdered and the residents of the town are looking at each other with suspicious eyes.
Hadley James may be a jam maker, but she's also the twin sister of the town policeman. He is a deputy sheriff who can do with all the h
Theresa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Wow! This is exactly the kind of mystery book that I am always looking for. I'm so excited that I have two more in the series to read.

Hadley is really great. I love how quirky yet normal she is. I love her relationship with her best friend Suze and her brother Paul.

All of the characters are really well fleshed out. I found myself wanting Suze and Paul to get together as much as Hadley wants it.

Little Ansel is adorable and steals every scene he's in.

Erin Lewis
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Star review A Crafty Crime (Stoneybrook Mystery #1) by Eryn Scott

Audio Review:

Both the author Eryn Scott and narrator Jennifer Jill Araya were new to me and I have no idea why that is. I loved this book from start to finish. It is a cosy mystery and one that I found thoroughly entertaining.

The narrator did a fabulous job and certainly kept me entertained. This was a a book filled with secrets and lies. The intrigue and suspense kept me on the edge of my seat
Melena Torretta
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018

The first in a new cozy mystery series, A Crafty Crime ticks all the right boxes.

A heroine you can root for, a great group of friends and family, a quirky small town, and lots of humor mixed in with the mystery.

In the small town of Stoneybrook, Hadley makes and sells her famous jams both online and at the local Farmer's Market. When she discovers the woman she was going to pet sit for is dead, she gets wrapped up in the mystery.

I love the
Carolyn
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Pleasantly surprised to find this author with stories based in the Pacific NW. Eryn weaves her tales with suspense and innuendo which kept me turning the pages. Hadley is a likeable character with whom I can sympathize with, as is her twin brother, Paul and best friend, Suze. The love tension with her newly-divorced husband, Tyler is really believable. There are undercurrents of new love interests on the horizon that keep me wondering... What is next? I will definitely keep reading Eryn Scott my ...more
Jenna
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook version of this book.

A fun easy cozy small town mystery. The characters are little bit predictable but it was super cute. Has all the elements of a solid cozy mystery and I enjoyed the author's style. Does keep you somewhat uncertain of the murder's identity until the end and good twist to have Harley's brother as a police officer. Also, that Harley was a jam seller was an interesting characteristic.

The narration is perfect and fits the characters and small town vib
Kat Taylor
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Old Bones

Eryn Scott has written another fabulous cozey the caracters weave there way into your heart the main caracter just wants to live a peaceful life creating her family recipes of jams ,fruits and vegetables, spending time with her best friend and her twin , Finding a dead body is in know way part of her plans. Who could have possibly done such a thing, she needs to find out before someone else may be hurt or worse. Pick up a copy and enjoy this cozey mystery while relaxing in your own coz
Judy Tetour
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent cozy mystery

Small town murder, protaganist who makes jam for a living, quirky folks, perhaps a brewing romance, all the elements of a good cozy mystery, with an added bonus: I never did figure out who the murderer was until the reveal. Bravo.

The only reason it only got four stars is because this kind of book is like junk food. It’s delightful to eat for awhile, but it ultimately doesn’t satisfy in the way a balanced diet (or in this case, good literature) does.
Cassandra
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and unexpected

I always love when a mystery actually has you guessing, and this darling cozy did just that. Well written with adorable and engaging characters (not to mention Ansel the show-stealing cat), this book was a perfect afternoon reader. And made me go out to get the next in the series because I wasn't ready to leave the characters or their adorable small, mountain town.
Karen Towle
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
How could I not like a book that included yarn, cats, and jam? A light read, with vibrant characters - I think I'm going to read book 2 just to hear what they're all up to next. The story line 'works,' though there's perhaps a little over-acting in the narrative. The author captures the "small town fishbowl life" really well. This is a quick, fun read - good for a flight or an evening stuck in a hotel on a road trip.
Sharon M. Turner
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Harley and Ansel

Harley drops by her friend Edith's home to look in on her cat while she was gone. The cat was there but so was a very dead Edith. Taking the cat home with her, she decided to help her twin brother find her killer. A merry chase begins. When you know everyone in town since birth it's awfully hard to point the finger and accuse one of them of murder. This book has several great recipes at the end. Yumm!
Maureen Hetzel
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing plot line when an elderly lady is murdered and few people in town mourn her death. She had the habit of arguing with many and lecturing others with acerbic comments. So how to find who did the deed! Twins, one the sheriff and one the owner of a craft jam store combine resources to ferret out the truth.
Kyates718
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable quick reading cozy mystery.

Well developed characters, quick moving plot, and a beautiful location. Loved the descriptions of the town and the mountains & river. Disappointed in who the murderer turned out to be. Also bothered by the obvious romantic attraction that Hadley is oblivious to.
Tonia Williams
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun story.

I like the deputy and heroine in the story are twins. I enjoyed the story being in a small town and how gossip spreads. This is one of the few books where the Paul (detective) allows Hadley (heroine) to assist with the detective work. I recieved this book from amazon and this is my true opinion.
Wendell Hennan
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hadley James is recently divorced and happily running her jam making business when she finds a neighbor dead. Hadley’s twin is the town police officer and they learn that the neighbor did not die of natural causes. The two of them and a friend investigate and solve the mystery. A surpise ending but the dialogue is trite and lengthy and the story drags at times.
Cheryl
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the series and the first time reading this author. The main character is Hadley . She lives in a small town with her twin brother Paul who is a cop. She is going to watch a neighbors cat only to find the neighbor dead and realizes she was murdered. Trying to help her brother figure out who did it almost is too much for them. I loved this story.
Deedra
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audible:I really enjoyed this book!Ansel is my favorite character.When an elderly lady no one likes dies in Stoneybrook,her cat sitter and friends are on the case to solve the mystery.I'm looking forward to more by this author. Jennifer Jill Araya was the perfect narrator.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Katja
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A nice cosy mystery starring jam maker Hadley, her friend Suze, and her brother Paul. They're investigating the death of an elderly lady and there's no shortage of suspects. Her ex husband's friend Luke makes an appearance and I thought he might be a love interest but no, not yet anyway. I read it in one day and quite enjoyed it.
Lisa Harris
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a good cozy mystery and this one did not disappoint. I did, however, have some unanswered questions. I guess if this will be a series I will get the opportunity to have those questions answered. I love the small town feel of the book. I was given this free review copy at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cookies and Scream (Baker Street Mysteries #2)
  • Ice Cream Murder (Lexy Baker #9)
  • Lattes and Lies (Comics and Coffee Case Files Book 2)
  • No Scone Unturned (Lexy Baker #12)
  • Dose Vidanya (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries #1)
  • Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)
  • Arsenic in the Azaleas (Lovely Lethal Gardens #1)
  • Never Con a Corgi (Leigh Koslow Mystery #6)
  • A Berry Clever Corpse (Kylie Berry #3)
  • A Flair for Beignets (Sadie Kramer Flair, #3)
  • Gusty Lovers and Cadavers (Raina Sun Mystery #2)
  • Home is Where the Bark Is (Paws Fur Play Mysteries Book 1)
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • Yappy Hour
  • Macaron Massacre (Murder in the Mix #10)
  • Death of a Crafty Knitter (Stormy Day Mystery #2)
  • Off the Beadin' Path (Glass Bead Mystery, #3)
  • Die Noon (Goodnight Mysteries, #1)
Eryn Scott is the author of heartwarming cozy mysteries and quirky women's fiction. Her novels feature close friendships and strong families because those are the most important things in her life -- a little humor doesn't hurt either.

She calls the Pacific Northwest home and doesn't plan on changing that anytime soon. Eryn loves to hike, horseback ride, knit, ski, and read. She believes musicals

A Stoneybrook Mystery (5 books)
  • A Fresh Kill (A Stoneybrook Mystery, #2)
  • A Sweet Death (A Stoneybrook Mystery, #3)
  • A Flaky Alibi (A Stoneybrook Mystery, #4)
  • A Juicy Murder (A Stoneybrook Mystery, #5)