Start by marking “The Sometimes Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Sometimes Sisters

The Sometimes Sisters

A bittersweet inheritance reunites three estranged sisters in a novel of family, trust, and forgiveness from New York Times bestselling author Carolyn Brown.

When they were growing up, Dana, Harper, and Tawny thought of themselves as “sometimes sisters.” They connected only during the summer month they’d all spend at their grandmother’s rustic lakeside resort in north Texas
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published February 27th 2018 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Sometimes Sisters, please sign up.
Voracious Reader The main part of the story takes place in what appears to be current day. There is a story within the story where events that occurred happened to…moreThe main part of the story takes place in what appears to be current day. There is a story within the story where events that occurred happened to people who grew up in times when things were very different which shaped them and their views to be different from our own today. Some people leaving reviews of the book seemed to have missed that point. 60 to 80 years ago interracial friendships were not accepted everywhere.(less)

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Granny used to say that the person who stirs the shit pile has to lick the spoon.

He made it in eight minutes and would have arrived there sooner if he hadn’t gotten behind a pokey old woman who didn’t have any place to go and a year to get there.

Did you think it was all rainbows and unicorn farts after you left? The only thing that changed was that I got all the bitchin’ instead of sharin’ it with you.

You can do better… He’s not for you, Aunt Tawny. He’s got a cat and he lives wi
♥Rachel♥
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 Stars

I just loved this story so much! I shed tears, both sad and happy, The Sometimes Sisters brought out all the feels!

Dana, Harper, and Tawny are the “Sometimes Sisters” who had gathered for a month during each summer at their Granny Annie’s lakeside resort. Dana is the oldest, a bastard child of their father he refused to acknowledge, but Granny Annie wouldn’t stand for her son’s behavior and accepted her as the true granddaughter she is. Harper and Tawny were the legitimate daughters, b
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
I knew this is going to be a doozy of a book after I had only read 2 pages and I was already in tears…

Dana, Harper and Tawny are three sisters who are not close. Dana is their half-sister who was rejected by their father. Growing up the girls only spent time together when they were at their grandmother’s lake resort. Granny Annie loved her granddaughters so much but when she knew her time on earth was coming to a close, she hatched a plan with Uncle Zed to bring her girls back home.

And they do c
Sarah Yee
Jan 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF - Couldn't bear to finish. The writing was just that cheesy and awful.
Lisa
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was dull and slow-paced. I really disliked the repetitive dialogue and found myself skimming pages to get to the very predictable ending.
Rissa
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5⭐
Grandma died and you dont get your inheritance until you work for it.

These sometimes sisters well are only sisters during holidays and now they are forced to work together and learn to love again.

It was beautiful and sweet and just touching.
Lindsay Nixon
This book is dripping in sickly sweet southern syrup. If you like overly “southern” small town backdrops with the tired family drama of someone having a secret baby when they were 17 or being white but loving a black person (basically everyone is Trump “conservative” and all the women need to be liberated from white-male shame) this is a great choice for you. I probably should have known what I was in for when I learned one sister's name was Tawny.

By the halfway point I felt like I’d drank too
Heidi
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A touching story that reminds us of the importance of family.

Dana, Harper and Tawny are sometimes sisters. They have never gotten along, and they have never seen eye to eye. Dana has trouble relating to her two half sisters, not only because they are younger, but also because she thinks they are spoiled. Harper has not seen her sisters in a long time, ever since she left home at sixteen, she has been lost. Bouncing from job to job, trying to find her way. Tawny, the youngest, is ree
Sophia
A laid-back resort by the lake welcomes back three half-sisters when their grandmother dies. Grandma Annie's last wish is to see these three Sometimes Sisters work past whatever made them all go their separate ways as teens and become a family again. With the help of the resort, old Uncle Zed, memories of Annie, chances at new and old love, the Clancy sisters return to the lake.

I enjoyed this touching story that focuses on the lives of three estranged sisters who have all hit rock bottom and ne
Aly
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can run from the past but you can't hide indefinitely from it. That's one life's lesson that the "sometimes sisters" will learn when they'll be reunited after ten years for their grandmother's will. Harper, Tawny and their half-sister Dana will have to work together to run around Annie's place and each woman will have to face the mistakes they made before and deal with different guilt and feelings they drag with them over the years. But what happened ten years ago to make them dislike each o ...more
Lisa
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wit & Wonder Books
**ARC provided for an honest review**

The Sometimes Sisters by Carolyn Brown is a touching and heartfelt novel about trust, forgiveness and family.

Brought together by the death of their beloved grandmother Dana, Tawny and Harper must learn what family is all about by running a lake resort. Never ones to be super close all three girls bind together to help their Uncle Zed to run the lake resort which was in their grandmothers will as a stipulation of their inheritance.

Along with Dana’s daughter
Cali Jewel
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming, homespun, quirky, emotional and entertaining adventure for three sisters with a lot of real life regrets and secrets keeping them apart.

Dana, Harper, and Tawny are the “Sometimes Sisters” each with a different yet sad history and only one summer together at their Granny Annie’s lakeside resort (their dad's mom). When Granny Annie passes it is her dying wish they come together to run the resort and make a go of it as a family. Uncle Zed is on hand to help them become the sisters th
Bea  Charmed
"The Sometimes Sisters" is the story of three sisters who have grown part over the years. When their father's mother dies, they all come to gather. They find she's left them her property, divided up amongst the three of them but they will have to work together. Her hope is they will rediscover and rebuild their familial bonds.

All three women, Dana, Harper, and Tawny, are having hard times and their grief over their grandmother's death at first pushes them further apart. They sniped at each other
Natalie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a Goodreads First Read - Kindle

Unfortunately, I didn’t like it. And couldn’t finish it.

The three sisters (and daughter and other random people both male and female) were so similar it was confusing. There were no distinguishing characteristics. They talked the same. The acted the same.

Sure, the author told us that they were different - prissy, responsible, alchoholic - but then they acted and spoke the same.

To the point where 1/3 of the book in, I still had no clue which s
Kelly Hedges
May 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just don’t get it. None of the sisters had much of a personality. Uncle Zed was the only redeeming character. And apparently handsome men looking for serious relationships are lurking in small Texas towns.
✨Susan✨
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this read, and am surprised that there are not more reviews. A story that brings estranged family full circle, from childhood into adulthood, and how feelings and actions can be so misconceived if not vetted correctly. The writing was good, the characters were real and the narrative was great. Her writing style reminded me a bit of Sarah Addison Allen.
IJ
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Great Read. I found tears rolling down my face at one point. I sure wish they would make this into a movie, what a great chic flick this would make. This was a Great Read for Gals of the Southwest Book Club. We will certainly be reading more of Carolyn Brown books. Found it on Goodreads Gals of the Southwest Book Club.
Carrie Williams
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. I love books about sisters and I loved the Southern setting. I never really connected with any of the main sister characters. I did however, love the character of Zed.
Thanks to NetGalley for this book to review.
Alexia
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book equivalent of a Hallmark movie. Which is to say I enjoyed it for what it was...
Suze Lavender
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dana, Harper and Tawny are sisters, but mostly connected during the summer, when they all spent a month at their grandmother's lakeside resort. Annie loved her granddaughters dearly and was always glad they were coming. However, suddenly it stopped. The sometimes sisters, who were already not seeing much of each other, weren't feeling very sisterly at all anymore. Annie's last wish is to bring them back together and when she dies she leaves her resort to her granddaughters. She asks the person w ...more
Ruthie Taylor
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is a beautiful book, which has many layers, and is deeply emotional - i.e. expect to need tissues. Even though the reason is clearly signposted, it makes it no easier to bear and big ugly tears were inevitable - for me at least!

It was a really clever way of giving us many stories in one and especially that of Annie and Zed. There were lovely little hints, such as the lack of a perfume smell in the room Dana takes o
Mary
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, family, sisters, texas
This was an Audible special that came up when I needed easy listening for a drive. The Sometimes Sisters is a sweet family drama of three estranged sisters who are reunited after their Granny Annie dies. Granny’s death brings the sisters back to run the family’s lake resort, set in North East TX, Lake Palestine area. A fun read since this is territory I am well familiar with and the sisters run to the big city of Tyler for their banking, groceries and entertainment. A big switch from what I usua ...more
Fluff Smut & Murder

Thank you to NetGalley.com for the opportunity to read an Advanced Reader Copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Carolyn Brown writes sweet stories. I like to think she’s the Debbie Macomber of the South. When you pick up The Sometimes Sisters, you know you’re going to get a sweet tale with a little sadness along the way that will end with everyone meeting their true love match and knowing that they’re all going to be okay. Pure, simple fluff – and I’m glad I started out 2018 with s
K
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH

Omg Carolyn. For some reason I knew this book would become my favorite! Lord what a story. My heart hurts but is happy for the girls. It's a shame that our world can be so cruel but in the end love prevails. Trying not to say to much but it's hard not to. Happy reading and can't wait for the next book!
Kay Garrett
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-read
THE SOMETIMES SISTERS by Carolyn Brown is a wonderfully written emotional story of three “misfit” sisters. The sisters are so different and yet so much alike. Each carrying their own emotional baggage, secrets and dislike for each other, when they arrive back at Granny Annie’s lakeside resort in north Texas after her passing for the reading of her will. The will states that to get their inheritance, they must learn to work together and keep the resort up and running.

Dana, the oldest sister, foun
books are love
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received in exchange for a honest review.

This is such a beautiful journey and Zed takes your heart from the beginning. From his moments with Annie to how he is with Harper, Dana, Brook and Tawny he captures you and has you smile. He shows us how timeless love is. He also shows us what patience, understanding, kindness and family is.

when Annie dies, Zed brings the sisters back to the cabin to run them. they are not exactly a loving group of sisters and he is on a mission to have them find their
Jackie

Book Info
Expected publication: February 27th 2018 by Montlake Romance (first published February 6th 2018)
ISBN 1503949206 (ISBN13: 9781503949201)
Other Editions (3)

Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donna Hines
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
You would think after 10 yrs the girls ( 3 sisters) would clean up their act, forget the past, and forge a new road.
However, Tawny, Dana, and Harper refuse to let the grudges distinguish themselves.
Having rarely spoken in those 10 yrs you'd think that time would heal old wounds at least in hopes of their grandmother Annie.
She owned a resort and left many beautiful family memories behind when she passed.
The girls inherited what was to be her future and now must work together.
Well, this should go
  • Beyond the Garden (Magnolia Series #2)
  • Steal Away Home
  • Sweet Southern Hearts (A Willow Hill Novel)
  • Redemption (Secrets & Lies #3)
  • A Year of Extraordinary Moments (Magnolia Grove #2)
  • When the Stars Come Out (Cottonbloom, #5)
  • The Memory of Butterflies
  • A Man of Honor (Kingston Family, #2)
  • Second Chance: a romance for the over 40.
  • This Bright Beauty
  • Sassy Saturdays (Fat Fridays Group #2)
  • No Time To Blink
  • All That Charm (Morning Glory #3)
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • Paris Ever After
  • Riding Hard (Sons of Chance, #15)
  • Just One Taste (Oh Tequila, #2)
Hi! I'm twenty five years old and movie star gorgeous. The camera added thirty plus years and a few wrinkles. Can't trust those cameras or mirrors either. Along with bathroom scales they are notorious liars! Honestly, I am the mother of three fantastic grown children who've made me laugh and given me more story ideas than I could ever write. My husband, Charles, is my strongest supporter and my be ...more
“We live and we die by the choices we make.” 0 likes
“Life is what you make it, girls. The past is all over and done with. What you got is the present, because tomorrow might never get here.” 0 likes