Start by marking “Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)

Soul of the Sword

(Shadow of the Fox #2)

One thousand years ago, a wish was made to the Harbinger of Change and a sword of rage and lightning was forged. Kamigoroshi. The Godslayer. It had one task: to seal away the powerful demon Hakaimono.

Now he has broken free.

Kitsune shapeshifter Yumeko has one task: to take her piece of the ancient and powerful scroll to the Steel Feather temple in order to prevent the
Published June 25th 2019 by Inkyard Press (first published June 18th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Soul of the Sword, please sign up.
Rhiannon There’s a website I like to use called recaptains.co.uk where they recap earlier books in series so people can jog their memory without having to…moreThere’s a website I like to use called recaptains.co.uk where they recap earlier books in series so people can jog their memory without having to re-read. If you go and make a request they might have the recap up before the second book is released (less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,463 books — 3,940 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
YA Novels of 2019
843 books — 2,817 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
jessica
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
im pretty sure i could just copy and paste my review for ‘shadow of the fox,’ because i loved ‘soul of the sword’ just as much. everything that made the first installment so magically phenomenal is present in this sequel, making for such a consistently compelling story. and i have no doubt that the next book, the conclusion, will be just as amazing.

things that make this book great:

the characters - the array of characters is so diverse, each bringing something different to the story; but they
megs_bookrack
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
It's so good. I mean, seriously soooooooo good!

That's a lot of ooooooo's but for real though.

I am absolute trash for this series.

Bring on Book 3!!!

I read Shadow of the Fox at the beginning of the year and it quickly stood out as a new favorite. I was drawn into the Empire of Iwagoto and now I never want to leave!

This second book continues directly after the final events of the first book. We find Yumeko and her crew on the road to the Steel Feather temple in the hopes of protecting the last
Hamad
Oct 20, 2018 marked it as lost-interest
All those cover reveals are not good for my TBR!!!

While I still think the cover is good, I lost interest in this series and won't be continuing it because I will probably not like it!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This cover is beautiful and the third one is going to be PURPLE!! But alas, I’m trading the first two in and going to keep them on kindle only as I’m down sizing a lot of books. I have to truly love them
to want to keep physical copies. More 5 star and favorites.

This one was good though.

Happy Reading!

Mel
Tucker
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That ending... GODDAMN IT! I LOVE THE CLIFF HANGERS BUT I HATE THEM.

-------

[9/28/19] - finally starting this and it only took a f*cking year

-------

do you hear that? That's me hyperventilating because I need this book. RIGHT! NOW!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) Shadow Of The Fox
2.) Soul Of The Sword .5

-----------------------------------------------
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Wow! What a ride! Full review to come.

*EDITED TO ADD REVIEW*
Kagawa has an amazing ability to bring her fantasy worlds and characters to life. So much so that they seem to breath off the very pages you are reading. You get completely immersed into her stories, into their lives, and into the danger that always seems to lurk in the dark and magical realms she is so good at creating.

I fell in love with Shadow of the Fox and couldn't have been more anxious or eager to get my hands on Soul of the
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
The author/publisher provided a free copy of the book for review purposes - thank you! Receiving a review copy does not guarantee a positive review and therefore do not affect the opinion or content of the review.
Julie Kagawa took my poorly shredded heart in Shadow of the Fox and shredded it some more because that Ending was God Awful and I needed more (because I need answers!) but I had to wait for Soul of the Sword.

It was a sad day for this bookwyrm. But then we got our claws on book two!
Lena
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one sitting. My God the action was phenomenal!!!!!!!
Laurie
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Move over, Harry Potter, fox shape-shifter Yumeko has come to town. I just finished this cinematic YA fantasy sequel to SHADOW OF THE FOX and I want the third book RIGHT NOW (I didn't think it was possible for Julie Kagawa to pull off a sequel that was even better than the first book, but she has - in spades). This book has the visual splendor of a Miyazaki film (think SPIRITED AWAY), the brilliant characterization of the Harry Potter books and the action-excitement of an Avengers movie. Author ...more
Roobie

Sometimes a whisper is all that is required to calm a storm,
but when words fail, sometimes you need the thunder.
Alaina
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

No idea how many times I've started and put down Soul of the Sword but it was a lot. Not because it was boring or I was bored.. but because of work. Not putting all the blame on that but I really had zero time to fully commit to this within one sitting. Just kind of had to stick this one out to see how it was going to end. Boy, I wasn't disappointed one bit.

This book and my ship gave me life! I can't tell you how much I geeked
Sara
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
You guys , this is realy good , like realy realy goood , loved almost everything about it , my only complain is the ending like I expected an fantastic mind blowin ending and I didn't get that feeling , I was like ,are you serious ! are we going on this road because i'm not okay , but still tho an magnificent read , 4 ...more
Adah Udechukwu
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Soul of the Sword is a worthy sequel. The novel got everything right.
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

This was a great sequel to the first book in the series! This one had a somewhat darker tone than the first book, but that was to be expected after how that one ended. It still managed to keep some of the fun of the first one though, which was a pleasant surprise.

The plot continued on where the last one left off. Without spoiling anything for either book, I can say the characters were still on their
Ashley
RTC- I am VERY at unease with how this played out. Amazing, nothing less than I expected... just worried! I feel like I was in the height of battle and a pause button was hit; I’m left frozen, yet conscious with the same emotions... ANXIETY CITY.
Mila
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosh, this was such a filler middle book in a trilogy. And as someone who really enjoyed "Shadow of the Fox" I was quite disappointed. This book was incredibly slow and had way too much talking and not nearly enough action to counteract it. Hakaimono's chapters seriously put me to sleep sometimes. I still liked some parts of it obviously and the pace definitely picked up towards the end. The writing was still beautiful as well. I now only hope the finale will not be like this.
Kelly Brigid ♡
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
1) Shadow of the Fox
“All souls have a destiny. Some are simply brighter than others.”

Essentially a black and white photocopy of the first installment. The mere fact that it required seven months and two book formats to complete this story, is enough to say that this one wasn't for me. I loved Shadow of the Fox when I read it the year before, and thought that the equally comical and tense journey with Yumeko and her band of misfits was incredibly entertaining. Unfortunately, this sequel felt
Sahitya
When I read Shadow of the Fox a few weeks ago, I was just going by my dear friend’s recommendation and wasn’t sure what to expect. But to my pleasant surprise, I completely fell in love with it and my excitement doubled when I got approved for the ARC of this sequel. Second books of beloved series can always be tricky but I’m so delighted that this book exceeded all my expectations.

Just like in the first book, the world building in this one too is phenomenal. We get introduced to more creatures
Beth
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Soul of the Sword is the 2nd installment in Kagawa’s Shadow of the Fox series. Following a Kitsune Yumeko and her band that she has collected in the first book in this series and Tatsumi, a shadow clan warrior now possessed by Hakaimono, a demon of the highest powers.

Yumeko and crew are trying to secure the piece of an ancient scroll, Scroll of a Thousand Prayers, away from the demons and people with nefarious intentions reach.

Hakaimono, in Tatsumi’s body, joins up with the Master of Demons
Phoenix2
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA fantasy japanese manga anime like books
Shelves: fantasy
The second book of the shadow of the fox series was, for me, not as good as the first one. What made the later really good was the small adventures that the characters had in each chapter along with the main plot and the low key romance. However, in this one, the whole book was a preparation for what was going to happen in the final chapters. Actually, those final chapters were the best part of the book. They were packed with action, had a deep dive into the characters own feelings and ...more
Books on Stereo
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soul of the Sword is an excellent, although at times a bit predictable follow up.
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
4.5/5 stars - audiobooks are hard to review, so this is just a mini-review. A (very slightly) expanded version of this is on my BLOG!

Best parts:
– The character development: Yumeko comes into her own, we see a more vulnerable side of Tatsumi, Reika becomes less uptight, Daisuke questions what honor means, Okame’s past comes to light…it’s the same gang I love, but with new depth!
– More crazy monsters! Twin girls with braids that are LITERAL SCORPION TAILS.
Unexpected gay romance??? Sign me
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I read Shadow of the Fox and found it a fun road trip with a couple I totally shipped! I was excited to see where we would go from that cliff hanger ending...

Soul of the Sword has a much better cover this time. I think the sword really helps bring home what this is about while the design is quite unified with the first book. I love when you can tell a book is a sequel because the design is similar but also different enough to not think
Iasmina
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Even better than the first. Definitely one of my new favourite series!
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
***I received this ARC from Netgallery in exchange for an honest review***

This book was incredibly boring.

I vaguely remember having the same feeling with the last book because I had just read a book (Red winter by Annette Marie) that felt similar, so it kind of threw me off. I had hopes that with the ending of book one, this will pick up. I was wrong. It seems the pace even got slower.

This book picks up after Hakimono's success in pushing Tatsumi out. So basically we had to listen to the demon
Karen
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Soul of the Sword picks up where Shadow of the Fox ends off, with the consequences of the final battle between the main characters and Hakaimono. This book follows the remaining characters' trek to the Steel Feather Temple, to retrieve the other piece of the scroll, and to save Tatsumi.

This book was a lot more action-packed than the last one, which had a lot of travelling interludes. I will say
Scrill
Jun 27, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc
DNF @30% I'm just so bored and don't care about the characters anymore. They're all annoying.

Like the fist book, Inuyasha vibes. Solely from the band of misfit characters that they seem to pick up on the way, to the succumbing evil to one of our heroes, to the item that all these people and demons are after for more power.

The World Building
One of the things I do really like about these books was the fantastic imagery that Kagawa uses. Throughout the adventure of the characters we are given this
Zitong Ren
I don’t have a whole lot to say about this book that I didn’t say about the first book I don’t think, though I will say that I did not like it as much and found it took a bit too long for the plot to go anywhere. I did excuse this is the first book as I said that it was for the sake of world building and setting up for this book, yet this novel took some two hundred pages before the plot really progressed, though once it did, the narrative was quite incredible and really well done. I also don’t ...more

• Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Sea Witch Rising (Sea Witch, #2)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Descendant of the Crane
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)

Shadow of the Fox (3 books)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
“Is this an 'I'm sorry I tried to assassinate you' tea ceremony?” 3 likes