Start by marking “Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)

Soul of the Sword

(Shadow of the Fox #2)

One thousand years ago, a wish was made to the Harbinger of Change and a sword of rage and lightning was forged. Kamigoroshi. The Godslayer. It had one task: to seal away the powerful demon Hakaimono.

Now he has broken free.

Kitsune shapeshifter Yumeko has one task: to take her piece of the ancient and powerful scroll to the Steel Feather temple in order to prevent the summo
Published June 25th 2019 by Inkyard Press (first published June 18th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Soul of the Sword, please sign up.
Rhiannon There’s a website I like to use called recaptains.co.uk where they recap earlier books in series so people can jog their memory without having to re-r…moreThere’s a website I like to use called recaptains.co.uk where they recap earlier books in series so people can jog their memory without having to re-read. If you go and make a request they might have the recap up before the second book is released (less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,466 books — 3,979 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
869 books — 2,942 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
megs_bookrack
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
This series is so good. I mean, seriously soooooooo good! I know that's a lot of ooooooo's, but for real though.

I am absolute trash for the Shadow of the Fox series. Kagawa has truly created something special here.

I read Shadow of the Fox at the beginning of 2019 and it quickly stood out as a new favorite. I was drawn into the Empire of Iwagoto and now I never want to leave.

This second book continues on directly after the events of the first. We find Yumeko and her crew on the road to the St
jessica
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
im pretty sure i could just copy and paste my review for ‘shadow of the fox,’ because i loved ‘soul of the sword’ just as much. everything that made the first installment so magically phenomenal is present in this sequel, making for such a consistently compelling story. and i have no doubt that the next book, the conclusion, will be just as amazing.

things that make this book great:

the characters - the array of characters is so diverse, each bringing something different to the story; but they wo
Hamad
Oct 20, 2018 marked it as lost-interest
All those cover reveals are not good for my TBR!!!

While I still think the cover is good, I lost interest in this series and won't be continuing it because I will probably not like it!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This cover is beautiful and the third one is going to be PURPLE!! But alas, I’m trading the first two in and going to keep them on kindle only as I’m down sizing a lot of books. I have to truly love them
to want to keep physical copies. More 5 star and favorites.

This one was good though.

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
That ending... GODDAMN IT! I LOVE THE CLIFF HANGERS BUT I HATE THEM.

-------

[9/28/19] - finally starting this and it only took a f*cking year

-------

do you hear that? That's me hyperventilating because I need this book. RIGHT! NOW!

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) Shadow Of The Fox ★★★★
2.) Soul Of The Sword ★★★
3.) Night of the Dragon ★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------
Alaina
Second time read & review.

Ugh, I'm just loving this series! Heck, I'm almost done with the next book! Soul of the Sword gave me all sorts of feelings. Even though the first time I read this was for the ARC, I got to say that the audiobook was amazing. Probably made it all better and a lot more enjoyable.

The quest, adventures, and my damn ship just gave me constant joy throughout each chapter. I didn't like being teased one bit but I was so happy with the entire book. I'm sure the next book will
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Wow! What a ride! Full review to come.

*EDITED TO ADD REVIEW*
Kagawa has an amazing ability to bring her fantasy worlds and characters to life. So much so that they seem to breath off the very pages you are reading. You get completely immersed into her stories, into their lives, and into the danger that always seems to lurk in the dark and magical realms she is so good at creating.

I fell in love with Shadow of the Fox and couldn't have been more anxious or eager to get my hands on Soul of the Swo
Laurie
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Move over, Harry Potter, fox shape-shifter Yumeko has come to town. I just finished this cinematic YA fantasy sequel to SHADOW OF THE FOX and I want the third book RIGHT NOW (I didn't think it was possible for Julie Kagawa to pull off a sequel that was even better than the first book, but she has - in spades). This book has the visual splendor of a Miyazaki film (think SPIRITED AWAY), the brilliant characterization of the Harry Potter books and the action-excitement of an Avengers movie. Author ...more
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
The author/publisher provided a free copy of the book for review purposes - thank you! Receiving a review copy does not guarantee a positive review and therefore do not affect the opinion or content of the review.
Julie Kagawa took my poorly shredded heart in Shadow of the Fox and shredded it some more because that Ending was God Awful™ and I needed more (because I need answers!) but I had to wait for Soul of the Sword.

It was a sad day for this bookwyrm. But then we got our claws on book
Kelly Brigid ♡
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
1) Shadow of the Fox ★★★★✰
“All souls have a destiny. Some are simply brighter than others.”

Essentially a black and white photocopy of the first installment. The mere fact that it required seven months and two book formats to complete this story, is enough to say that this one wasn't for me. I loved Shadow of the Fox when I read it the year before, and thought that the equally comical and tense journey with Yumeko and her band of misfits was incredibly entertaining. Unfortunately, this seq
Lena
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one sitting. My God the action was phenomenal!!!!!!!
Roobie
⭐️4.5 stars⭐️

Sometimes a whisper is all that is required to calm a storm,
but when words fail, sometimes you need the thunder.
Sara
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
You guys , this is realy good , like realy realy goood , loved almost everything about it , my only complain is the ending like I expected an fantastic mind blowin ending and I didn't get that feeling , I was like ,are you serious ! are we going on this road because i'm not okay , but still tho an magnificent read , 4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Adah Udechukwu
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Soul of the Sword is a worthy sequel. The novel got everything right.
Taylor
“My master used to say, sometimes a whisper is all that is required to calm a storm, but when words fail, sometimes you need the thunder.”

...

While I liked Shadow of the Fox, and was looking forward to the sequel, Soul of the Sword genuinely surprised me. I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to.

The story begins immediately after the explosive ending of the first book: Yumeko, Reika, Okame, Daisuke, and Master Jiro are on the run, and have to go on a perilous journey to secure the safety o
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

This was a great sequel to the first book in the series! This one had a somewhat darker tone than the first book, but that was to be expected after how that one ended. It still managed to keep some of the fun of the first one though, which was a pleasant surprise.

The plot continued on where the last one left off. Without spoiling anything for either book, I can say the characters were still on their
Mila
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosh, this was such a filler middle book in a trilogy. And as someone who really enjoyed "Shadow of the Fox" I was quite disappointed. This book was incredibly slow and had way too much talking and not nearly enough action to counteract it. Hakaimono's chapters seriously put me to sleep sometimes. I still liked some parts of it obviously and the pace definitely picked up towards the end. The writing was still beautiful as well. I now only hope the finale will not be like this.
Darce
i really don't know what to say for this review. Soul of the Sword was cute, fascinating, interesting, had representation and was fun, but god, i got so freaking triggered by Yumeko at the end!! i was ridiculously angry. it's like i was in the book with her, which i guess says good things for Julie Kagawa's writing skills (y'all know it's time for a reread of The Iron King) but honestly this might have ruined Yumeko for me. mind you i do love the rest of the characters.... and i'm living for the ...more
Ashley
RTC- I am VERY at unease with how this played out. Amazing, nothing less than I expected... just worried! I feel like I was in the height of battle and a pause button was hit; I’m left frozen, yet conscious with the same emotions... ANXIETY CITY.
Alexa
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
After rereading the first book in this series, I dove right into this sequel. I’d heard a few things about how this installment was still really great, but not quite equal to its predecessor. And, by a very, very minute difference in my feelings for both, I agree with that assessment. This sequel does feel very much like the second book in a series, which isn’t a bad thing, but also isn’t my favorite sort of reading experience on the whole. But, this the good, solid kind of second book syndrome ...more
Bookish Penguin
Ah I loved the narrators in this one more than in the first book. Maybe they improved or maybe I just got used to them.

Tbh this book really feels like a filler in a trilogy since nothing much is happening until the end. But we have character development and a writing style which is still great. I really enjoyed getting to know everyone even more and I think Kagawa really focused on this point but it also made the book slower since not so much was happening.

But Yumeko was so repetitive - like I
Aly
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, this book has a lot going on. It's a good sequel, although I didn't like it quite as much. Yumeko and Tatsumi are separated for most of the book so their romance doesn't progress much unfortunately. We did get a surprise pairing that, while not hinted at all in the first book, I enjoyed immensely! I loved getting Hakaimono's point of view throughout the story, he's so evil but I kind of like it. And the way we saw Tatsumi trapped inside himself was pretty cool too.

The pacing was off in thi
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

I enjoyed this sequel, I don't think it's as solid as the first book, it's kind of slow to read in my opinion, but even so, it has many aspects that I've managed to enjoy, and I'm very excited to know what will happen now! In this book, we can see a lot of travel from one place to another, so we know new places and characters, but it also has truly
Sahitya
When I read Shadow of the Fox a few weeks ago, I was just going by my dear friend’s recommendation and wasn’t sure what to expect. But to my pleasant surprise, I completely fell in love with it and my excitement doubled when I got approved for the ARC of this sequel. Second books of beloved series can always be tricky but I’m so delighted that this book exceeded all my expectations.

Just like in the first book, the world building in this one too is phenomenal. We get introduced to more creatures
Beth
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Soul of the Sword is the 2nd installment in Kagawa’s Shadow of the Fox series. Following a Kitsune Yumeko and her band that she has collected in the first book in this series and Tatsumi, a shadow clan warrior now possessed by Hakaimono, a demon of the highest powers.

Yumeko and crew are trying to secure the piece of an ancient scroll, Scroll of a Thousand Prayers, away from the demons and people with nefarious intentions reach.

Hakaimono, in Tatsumi’s body, joins up with the Master of Demons
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
***I received this ARC from Netgallery in exchange for an honest review***

This book was incredibly boring.

I vaguely remember having the same feeling with the last book because I had just read a book (Red winter by Annette Marie) that felt similar, so it kind of threw me off. I had hopes that with the ending of book one, this will pick up. I was wrong. It seems the pace even got slower.

This book picks up after Hakimono's success in pushing Tatsumi out. So basically we had to listen to the demon d
Phoenix2
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA fantasy japanese manga anime like books
Shelves: fantasy
The second book of the shadow of the fox series was, for me, not as good as the first one. What made the later really good was the small adventures that the characters had in each chapter along with the main plot and the low key romance. However, in this one, the whole book was a preparation for what was going to happen in the final chapters. Actually, those final chapters were the best part of the book. They were packed with action, had a deep dive into the characters own feelings and backgroun ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I read Shadow of the Fox and found it a fun road trip with a couple I totally shipped! I was excited to see where we would go from that cliff hanger ending...

Soul of the Sword has a much better cover this time. I think the sword really helps bring home what this is about while the design is quite unified with the first book. I love when you can tell a book is a sequel because the design is similar but also different enough to not think

• Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers #2)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

Shadow of the Fox (3 books)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)