Start by marking “Verify (Verify #1)” as Want to Read:
Verify (Verify #1)

Verify

(Verify #1)

Meri Beckley lives in a world without lies. When she turns on the news, she hears only the facts. When she swipes the pages of her online textbooks, she reads only the truth. When she looks at the peaceful Chicago streets, she feels the pride everyone in the country feels about the era of unprecedented hope and prosperity over which the government presides.

But when Meri’s
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Verify, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Verify

Emily
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Joelle Charbonneau has good ideas. I’m always down for a book that’s taking on censorship, and I love me some dystopian fiction. But this book was a mess.

1. Timeline. We have no idea when this taking place, except for that it’s “decades” from now. You expect me to believe that in the span of 60 years (or 70, or 80, depending on which part of the book you’re at, because there’s no internal consistency here), the government was able to completely erase several words to the point where our charact
Danielle
Jul 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
2019 is not shaping up to be a year of great reads for me, particularly in the way of ARCs.

Verify might have been able to stand on its own at the height of the dystopian frenzy in 2012-2013. The idea has been done before, the characters have been done before, and the tropes have also been done before, yet there is just enough originality, and definitely enough similarity to the top ya dystopian novels that it could have slipped in under the radar and make the author a small bucket load of money
Tucker
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
this title just makes me think of:
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

I genuinely thought that this was a contemporary book about a girl dealing with the loss of her mother until about 30% in. (I don't read synopses before I start a book, so sue me 🤷♀) The thing is, there is nothing at the start to indicate that it's taking place in a different time period/world than our current one. Also, it wasn't even a particularly compelling contemporary about a girl
Jackie ϟ Bookseller
I received an ARC of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

"The only way we can be sure what we want to do when we go out into the world is to first understand what is happening in it."

2.5/5 stars: ★★1/2☆☆

Meri has grown up in a world where nothing one hears should ever be questioned. The government never lies. Her teachers never lie. The news never lies. Everything she has ever heard must be true, and everyone around her seems happy and carefree because of that. But when
Brenna Clark
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to Edelweiss for this ARC! When I was looking through their selection of eARCs, this cover stood out to me. I clicked it, and the first thing my eyes laid upon was the comparison between it to Scythe, which is my favorite dystopian novel. I instantly clicked Request, knowing that I would love it. I'm happy to say that I was able to verify that fact as I finished it today!

We are shown a world much different from our own via Chicago some decades from now. Crime has been obliterated.
zaheerah
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs, review-copy
*I received a copy via the publisher in return for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.*

Meri Beckley is forced on the run when she discovers the world she lives in isn’t as truthful as she was thought it was. Months after the death of her artist mother, Meri tries to understand her mother’s thoughts in her unfinished pieces. Then one day, someone thrusts a piece of paper in her hands with one world: verify. There she discovers questions no one is willing to answer an
Taschima
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Verify tries to reach out to our generation with a warning message. Stay alert, read more books, be aware of what is going on in your world or someday the government is going to control your whole life by taking away words which in turn narrow the way people think, and then if anybody else DARES to speak of these words they are going to hunt HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE until EVERYBODY falls in line...*

Seems a tad unrealistic, yet at the same time, seems like small potatoes next to the daily
Sep 02, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

Thanks to edelweiss and HarperTeen for allowing me to read this book.
Becca Mee
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away in the best way. I've been a fan of Joelle Charbonneau's writing since the Dividing Eden series, so I knew whatever she was writing next was going to be good. I didn't expect it to be this good.

The book centers around sixteen-year-old Merriell Beckley, a young artist who has just lost her mother. She lives in a paperless society where crime barely exists. As Meri attempts to move forward with her life after the loss of her mother, she finds herself caught up with the Stew
Cameron [Beacon Book Box]
One of my most anticipated 2019 reads and it did not disappoint! Charbonneau knows how to craft a good story and I was hooked from the start.
Holly
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I got this from Edelweiss to do an early review. I nabbed it because I liked that it was about books and that it seemed to have a lot to say on our current world.

But oh my gosh, did I almost put it down.

I had a really hard time getting into it. It was such a slow start and I really didn't see what the point was for a long time. Meri's world really wasn't all that different from ours in the beginning, which could be kind of scary if you think about it too much, but it just seemed kind of boring.
Aoife
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, a2, a3e, harperteen, september
In a future version of Chicago, the death of a teenager's mother is the catalyst for her to begin questioning, peeling back the layers of her world to discover the truth hidden underneath.

The summary led me to believe this would be a bit different than it is. This isn't a world without lies so much as a world without questions from the public, which isn't the same thing at all.

The idea of removing words to control people isn't new...it wasn't new when George Orwell made it famous in 1984...but i
Melanie Dulaney
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, ya
Chicago! The Windy City with The Pier, Grant Park, The Magnificent Mile and probably even The Bean! But this is future Chicago and one we all probably hope for: almost non-existent crime, no gangs, revitalized neighborhoods, and all manner of people living the good life together. Meri never had any reason to think that there was anything sinister behind such a phenomenal shift from her present-day United States and beloved Chicago and that of just 30 years ago. But then her mother is killed and ...more
Tamara
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs
3 - 3.5 stars

Verify is a bit like a modern (and better) Fahrenheit 451 when it comes to its premise. Sure, it's a very different genre but books being taken away, the truth being bent and indoctrination into a patriotic and "everything is fine" kind of society are certainly very similar tropes. And, as Charbonneau takes this premise and updates it in a way that hits too close to home sometimes, this is definitely my favourite part of the book.

What I didn't like quite as much was, well, everythin
Sarah Avallone
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me begin by saying thanks to Joelle Charbonneau for trusting me with an advanced copy of her newest work. Verify was an absolute joy and frustration to read. A joy because Joelle has developed a compelling message set in a not-so-distant futuristic Chicago and supported with creative character code names that are all modeled off from book related elements. The clean and mysterious aspects of the storyline will maintain the interests of its readers (middle, high school, and adults) and encour ...more
Clara
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult

Meri lives is a dystopia disguised as a utopia set about 100 years in the future. The government has lied to its citizens and taken away their freedoms to create a seemingly perfect world. While trying to finish one of her dead mother's paintings, Meri finds out what the government isn't telling her and has the chance to spread that knowledge.

Verify was very fast paced, which I liked, and it kept me interested for the whole long bus ride during which I read this book. It was interestin
Jennifer MacMullin
*Thank you to HCC Frenzy for the advanced copy. All opinions are my own.

Oh man. So let me preface this by saying I don’t like dystopian books very much and probably wouldn’t have read this if it wasn’t gifted to me.

The concepts and ideas were interesting, but this book fell flat for me.

📕 The timeline and pacing: so we have no idea when exactly this book is taking place. Anywhere from 65-80 years in the future is my best guess, but who knows. The pacing is super speedy and everything feels rushe
Jenny Ashby
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Timely dystopian premise carried out in a standard way that didn't do much for me but will probably be a hit with my students. I knew it would be a series opener but I didn't even realize when I'd reached the end of the book because there was nothing really shocking to signal this segment was over. In fact, I'm not sure what Meri is doing as the book ends. I think a little more context would make for a more effective cliffhanger . I think my most favorite part of the manuscript was Charbonneau s ...more
Tânia
Jun 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
DYSTOPIA ALERT!!!!!!

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble
Keitha
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought the premise of this story was great, but the writing really was terrible. Bad dialog, weird pacing, and no character development. However, for an indiscriminate reader who likes faced paced stories, this would probably work.
Sheri
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An important book for our times, with themes of Government/Media/Truth. Verify is fast-paced with an engaging setting (Chicago and its familiar landmarks). Meri’s relationship with the Stewards develops very quickly, but it works with the urgency of the situation at hand. The ending isn’t wrapped up neatly, leaving the reader anticipating the next book. Thank you to Joelle Charbonneau for sending me an ARC through a social media contest. It was an honor to read it before the publication date!
Kim
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of suspense, I couldn’t put it down. The possibility of this happening is scary!
Tracy
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
Little bit of a soft start and not as fleshed out a I would like,but definite potential in the forthcoming series. Love that it is about books and words and set in Chicago ;)
Elbrackeen Brackeen
entered gr giveaway
donna
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you HarperCollins for the free arc via Edelweiss. This started very slow. It s a dystopian that takes some getting into. Once you do, it is ok.
jen
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF at 20%. I was granted this book to review by the publisher. Unfortunately, this wasn’t for me.
Carol
Jul 22, 2019
Shama
Jul 04, 2019
Dee
Mar 23, 2019
I am a storyteller at heart. I have performed in a variety of operas, musical theatre and children's theatre productions across the Chicagoland area.

While I'm happy to perform for an audience, I am equally delighted to teach private voice lessons and use my experience from the stage to create compelling characters on the page. I am the author of the Rebecca Robbins mystery series (Minotaur Books)

Verify (2 books)