Start by marking “Lucky (Lucky #1)” as Want to Read:
Lucky (Lucky #1)

Lucky

(Lucky #1)

Dominic Ramos is a Premiership football player with a secret. There are no trophies for being gay in his game. Locked into his rep as the meanest defender on the pitch, keeping his secret is soul-crushing, but love has no place in his sport, even if his soft heart craves it.

Lucky Coleman is on his knees when he meets a man with more money than sense. It’s a Grindr hook-u
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 288 pages
Published September 18th 2018 by Fox Love Press

To ask other readers questions about Lucky, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mymymble
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Lucky (Lucky #1)
Judith
4 Stars

A believable portrayal of a gay Premiership football player planted firmly in the closest and a down on his luck young man.

Neither of them had any idea a casual Grindr hook up would change both their lives...

"You're here for a blowjob,right?We said fifty quid(...)

Dominic cuts an extremely lonely figure....He's fallen out of love with the beautiful game....he might have wealth and unwanted fame but he's lost in a sea of bitterness and self hate.He's never had any kind of a rela
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
This is probably going to get lengthy since this book gave me feelings and when I have feelings I tend to get loquacious. So for those of you like me, who have the attention span of a hummingbird, here's the tl;dr: Lucky is an emotionally powerful tale featuring two gritty and layered characters who have to fight for every centimeter of their HEA that I would recommend to readers who cherish romances that flout the paradigm.

Now, ALL THE WORDS!

The sports angle is what drew me to this boo
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Gritty and very British, Lucky is a typical, solid Garrett Leigh story but with a sporty twist.

I know literally nothing about Premiership football, but I enjoyed this story a great deal. The football aspect was very minor, and could have been literally any sport and the story would have been about the same. Plus, I don't know if I'll ever get tired of closeted celebrity stories, especially when they have been deprived and repressed for as long as Dominic Ramos.

Lucky wasn't an easy romance for th
Shile

I thought this was going to be angsty, to my surprise i found it sweet and sexy.

I liked the characters and the fact that they got mad chemistry. Dom and Lucky fit together.

The banter was on point.

This book is about one of the MC being Premiership footballer, there was nothing about the said football.

Overall it was i still enjoyed it.
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

For a Garrett Leigh book, Lucky isn't terribly angsty. It deals with the ubiquitous homophobia in men's team sports, drug abuse, and homelessness.

But these themes aren't overwhelming, and the romance between Dom and Lucky is a beacon of light and hope.

When they first meet in a seedy flat, Dom pays Lucky to suck him off, and then pays extra so he can blow Lucky too. What begins as a "rent boy" Grindr hookup develops into a genuine friendship, even though both men are keeping secrets.

There
☆ Todd
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

I liked Dom.

I liked Lucky.

I liked their banter and snark.

I liked their steamy scenes.

I liked their tender, heart-felt moments.

I liked how they kept finding their way back to one another, again and again.

BUT...

I didn't really like the feeling of déjà vu that I'd (somehow, somewhere) already read an angstier, druggier version of this story from Leigh.

3.75 stars.

-----------------------------------------------

This book is *FREE* with Kindle Unlimited membership.

See All My Latest Reads (Review Quick-
Ele
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*
"I was proud to be seen. Proud to love him. Proud to even know him. And proud of my fucking self.

"I'm happy, Lucky. Are you?"

His answering smile set me free."

This is why I love Garrett Leigh's work. It doesn't matter if it's a chef, a sex worker, a cowboy or -in this case- a freaking closeted Premiership football player. It doesn't matter if it's an ordinary tale between two people who happened to cross paths with each other or an once in a million years situation; her sto
Simone
***4.5 Stars***

To say it in Cupcake's words... This book gave me feelings!!!

All the feelings... Definitely one of my favorites by this author.

No one does emotionally stunted characters like Garrett Leigh and with Lucky...

who desperately needs money, and Dom...

who desperately needs some human connection, she brought two guys to life who are apparently as different as they come on the surface, but who just seem to click from day one of their hookup and gradually discover that they are li
Jan
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, ku
What a heartbreaking and moving story. The pressure is unbelievably suffocating and it's absolutely surreal to think that this is happening to football players at the year of two thousand and fucking eighteen!

I urge you to read Ariana's stunning review.

**Available on KU ATM.
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
You know, I've decided Garrett Leigh might just be my favorite MM author. Consistently love her stuff. She writes the kind of angst I can deal with.

My heart seriously broke for Dominic. And Lucky. This one was a pretty heavy read. And a bit of a downer. I honestly had no idea how things could possibly work out for Dom and Lucky. I really didn't.

But they did. And I loved experiencing their journey.
Christelle
**3.5 stars**

A case of “I expected something else”, so even if it was good – and good it was-, I was a bit thrown out of my chair. All on me.

Dom is a professional football player (football as in “European football” - I’m not going to start a discussion regarding what “real” football is, LOL). Obviously, he’s very deep in the closet for good reasons, like being really weary of paparazzies. Add to that he’s not an out-going guy by nature and you can guess how lonely he is, even bitter. One night,
Martin
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I am writing this review, I am still not sure how to rate this book. It was certainly unusual in many ways for me.

It's the story of a famous professional British soccer player and a street kid.
Dominic Ramos is a 26 year old closeted gay athlete playing for a leading club in London. He has this weird habit of hooking up with strangers on grindr and *paying* them for sex. He doesn't do that because he couldn't get anybody, but because he tries to buy the men's silence, thinking that being oute
Cadiva
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There isn't anyone, imho, better at writing these gritty slices of British life than Garrett Leigh.

There are trigger warnings for this one to be aware of but the narrative itself isn't overly angsty or too dramatic

In this one, the first in a new series, we get a closeted Premiership footballer and a young guy down on his luck and hooking up on Grindr for enough cash to get off the streets.

It's not your usual fare though, as the hook up where Lucky meets Dom is his first time and he's not too goo
Jewel
4.5 Stars

I sure do love Garrett Leigh's brand of angst. Her characters seem so real to me. No matter their situations, or social standing, I can always find something to relate to. Lucky had the perfect balance of angst and was I glad there wasn't a bunch of melodrama mixed in. What we get is a believable mix what I could see as real life.

Lucky is about a homeless young man down on his luck and a closeted professional footballer desperate for affection. Neither expect to find anything beyond a r
Ariana
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to google it.
Currently there is exactly ONE football (=soccer) player in England who is openly out. And he doesn't even play for the Premier League.

The FA chairman said at the end of last year that he knew of at least two players in the Premier League who are gay but do not feel safe enough to come out. To highlight the situation this bus with 'every out football player' in the Premier League was part of the Brighton Pride Parade in August 2018.

Of course it is empty.

The pressure for thos
Bev
Well, I rather enjoyed that! It's British, what's not to love?!? It's sweet and cute, angsty but not overly so, set in a real world with real problems that aren't downplayed, the characters had great chemistry and the banter just rounded it all off that took me to my happy place.

My first read by this author and it definitely won't be my last.
Eugenia
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Hot and Angsty!

Let's make this short and sweet:

Super closeted premier footballer falls for homeless, rentboy addict with a heart of gold.

They meet via Grindr, have the best orgasms ever and can't stop thinking about each other. They tell each other nothing about themselves. Lots of pride on the side of our beautiful street boy, Lucky. Lots of angst for our beefy defender, Dom.

This novel could have been shorter. Still, I liked it and these two had several hot scenes. HEA.

Triggers: drug use.
.Lili.
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I've said before, and I'll repeat it: I love Garrett Leigh's writing style. She's got this quiet, understated, emotional quality to her writing that I love.

Lucky is the story about a deep in the closet soccer player and a young man just trying to stay afloat. The two meet during a Grindr hookup,and from the get-go, there was a connection that neither could deny and although they came from different backgrounds, different problems there was a comfort that they were only able to find in each
Ky
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

In this romance Garrett Leigh paired up a homeless mechanic with bad habbits and a lonely, closeted football player.

The main characters were interesting and distinguished enough that I never confused one for the other. The secondary ones were less unique and I often forgot who was who but except for Jamila they didn't have a big part in the story so it wasn't really a problem. The story was very focused on the two MCs with their social circle playing minor supporting roles. I'm not com
Adam

My feelings about Dom for much of the book:
description

How dare he treat my poor sweet down-on-his-luck (hah, you see what I did there?) Lucky like that.

But pretty soon, Dom grew on me. And by the halfway point I was all:
description

This book has a lot of the staples of an MM sports romance. The closeted player is all messed up and has trouble accepting himself. The love interest remains patient as long as he can. And eventually shit hits the fan.

But in classic Garrett Leigh fashion, the story didn't at all f
Snjez
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads, audiobooks
This might be my favourite book by Garrett Leigh so far.

The story was beautiful and the characters felt so real. I adored Lucky. He is everything I love in a character, inside and out.
The chemistry and emotional connection between Dom and Lucky was amazing. I loved their moments together and I loved how gentle and caring both of them were.

The pace of their relationship was perfect. Nothing felt rushed and nothing was skipped.

**************

Audiobook review:
The narrator's voice was a bit too rou
Denise H.
*** Troubled men who find each other and are given hope !
This is a British setting for a famous closeted footballer

who hides from paparazzi constantly. Dom, 26, with short hair and lots of toned muscles,

is tired of the public personality and lack of honesty. Despite all of his notoriety, he's desperately lonely, always hiding.
He goes to Grindr to hook up, where he finds Lucky,

about 25, a fae-like man with blondish long hair in a bun, who taps into Dom's attraction meter. The feeling is mutua
Diana
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, audiobook
Bev
Nobody does gritty and supposedly realistic like Garrett. I've read quite a few of her stories now, and it's fairly normal to have a downbeat character [usually a drug user] and a person who....well, isn't... and that's going right back to the first story I read of hers Slide, back in 2013.

I have to say though that for me, this one was a little disappointing and nowhere near as angsty as it could and probably should've been, a lot of filler sex was used to pad out the story....oh, and there was
Gabi
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it!

"The man shrugged out of his leather bomber jacket. The label inside caught my attention and I tried not to cringe. He’d paid more for his coat than he had for me. What did that say about either of us? That I was desperate and he was a kinky bastard? Or maybe he was the desperate one and I was just a whore. "

“There’s nothing wrong with being alone if you like it that way.”
Mónica BQ
Oct 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lazy, shallow and superficial.

Pretty words and good prose can't erase the fact that this is as bland as bland comes. The whole story is completely uninspiring. Basically, if you've read the blurb you've read the entirety of the book.

Closeted rich gay guy meets up with openly pan guy from the wrong side of the tracks. Magically and with absolutely no sense whatsoever they fall for each other and for a hundred pages they go back and forth between:
- Should we/can we be together? Oh, but we shouldn'
ReadingAllNite
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc-read
Garrett Leigh is a favorite of mine, her work often feeling quite melancholy, then leading me gently into a happier place. Not fairytale endings, not sappy or sweet, just ordinary happiness, when someone’s world is made better by hard-won love. Dom has money and fame as a footballer, having dedicated himself to the sport at the expense of his psyche. Just like the majority of professional sports the world over, being gay and out is mostly a career killer. His infrequent encounters with paid Grin ...more
~nikki the recovering book addict
D’awwww!!! 😍

I feel like breaking into a song and dance. Can’t decide what to dance and sing to though. Just know that I feel like my heart is soaring and my feet not quite touching the ground. Mmm mmm!

As with all Garrett Leigh books, I have come to expect angst and heart break. But! It wasn’t too bad here. Sure, Lucky led a shitty life. Circumstances really messed with him. And I don’t want to make light of his homelessness, that’s one of the things that broke my heart, but he did have a BFF wh
Ami
Eh... things were good when Dom and Lucky were talking about things aside from their physical attraction. But that's it. I always need MORE to feel the connection between characters.

This one feels that these two men are only into it because of sex and their look. Plus, for a football player who is in the closet because of the team and the sport, there's not much of that evidence in the story. Heck, there's not much of football players in here either.

*shrugs*
Leaf of Absence
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a whole lot of there, there.
Felt empty.
Lots of internal monologuing.
Sadly shallow.
Boring.

Not terrible, but not interesting either.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Turning Pages At ...: Lucky (M/M Buddy Read) by Garrett Leigh 6 12 Nov 24, 2018 06:26PM

• Honeymoon for One
  • A Deeper Blue (Rules of Possession, #2)
  • Out in the End Zone (Out in College, #2)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)
  • Of Sunlight and Stardust
  • Deke (Fake Boyfriend, #3)
  • Boy Shattered
  • The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • Fired Up (Fever Falls, #1)
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend #4)
  • Unwritten Law (Steele Brothers #1)
  • Private Charter
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • Lights and Sirens (Emergency Services #2)
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Safe Place (Rainbow Place, #2)
  • Out in the Offense (Out in College, #3)
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide, wo

Lucky (3 books)
  • Cash (Lucky, #2)
  • Jude (Lucky #3)

Articles featuring this book

"Not long ago, if you wanted to meet someone new, you’d have to attend a singles mixer or get a friend to set you up on a blind date," says roman...
“With glory came responsibility, blame, and a circus I didn’t have enough fucks to put up with.” 0 likes