Start by marking “Lucky” as Want to Read:
Lucky

Lucky

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  709 ratings  ·  169 reviews
Dominic Ramos is a Premiership football player with a secret. There are no trophies for being gay in his game. Locked into his rep as the meanest defender on the pitch, keeping his secret is soul-crushing, but love has no place in his sport, even if his soft heart craves it.

Lucky Coleman is on his knees when he meets a man with more money than sense. It’s a Grindr hook-up
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 282 pages
Published September 18th 2018 by Fox Love Press

To ask other readers questions about Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky

Judith
4 Stars

A believable portrayal of a gay Premiership football player planted firmly in the closest and a down on his luck young man.

Neither of them had any idea a casual Grindr hook up would change both their lives...

"You're here for a blowjob,right?We said fifty quid(...)

Dominic cuts an extremely lonely figure....He's fallen out of love with the beautiful game....he might have wealth and unwanted fame but he's lost in a sea of bitterness and self hate.He's never had any kind of a relationship
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
This is probably going to get lengthy since this book gave me feelings and when I have feelings I tend to get loquacious. So for those of you like me, who have the attention span of a hummingbird, here's the tl;dr: Lucky is an emotionally powerful tale featuring two gritty and layered characters who have to fight for every centimeter of their HEA that I would recommend to readers who cherish romances that flout the paradigm.

Now, ALL THE WORDS!

The sports angle is what drew me to this book. I
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Gritty and very British, Lucky is a typical, solid Garrett Leigh story but with a sporty twist.

I know literally nothing about Premiership football, but I enjoyed this story a great deal. The football aspect was very minor, and could have been literally any sport and the story would have been about the same. Plus, I don't know if I'll ever get tired of closeted celebrity stories, especially when they have been deprived and repressed for as long as Dominic Ramos.

Lucky wasn't an easy romance for th
☆ Todd
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

I liked Dom.

I liked Lucky.

I liked their banter and snark.

I liked their steamy scenes.

I liked their tender, heart-felt moments.

I liked how they kept finding their way back to one another, again and again.

BUT...

I didn't really like the feeling of déjà vu that I'd (somehow, somewhere) already read an angstier, druggier version of this story from Leigh.

3.75 stars.

-----------------------------------------------

This book is *FREE* with Kindle Unlimited membership.

See All My Latest Reads (Review Quick-
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

For a Garrett Leigh book, Lucky isn't terribly angsty. It deals with the ubiquitous homophobia in men's team sports, drug abuse, and homelessness.

But these themes aren't overwhelming, and the romance between Dom and Lucky is a beacon of light and hope.

When they first meet in a seedy flat, Dom pays Lucky to suck him off, and then pays extra so he can blow Lucky too. What begins as a "rent boy" Grindr hookup develops into a genuine friendship, even though both men are keeping secrets.

There
Ele
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*
"I was proud to be seen. Proud to love him. Proud to even know him. And proud of my fucking self.

"I'm happy, Lucky. Are you?"

His answering smile set me free."

This is why I love Garrett Leigh's work. It doesn't matter if it's a chef, a sex worker, a cowboy or -in this case- a freaking closeted Premiership football player. It doesn't matter if it's an ordinary tale between two people who happened to cross paths with each other or an once in a million years situation; her stories alw
Jan
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, ku
What a heartbreaking and moving story. The pressure is unbelievably suffocating and it's absolutely surreal to think that this is happening to football players at the year of two thousand and fucking eighteen!

I urge you to read Ariana's stunning review.

**Available on KU ATM.
Christelle
**3.5 stars**

A case of “I expected something else”, so even if it was good – and good it was-, I was a bit thrown out of my chair. All on me.

Dom is a professional football player (football as in “European football” - I’m not going to start a discussion regarding what “real” football is, LOL). Obviously, he’s very deep in the closet for good reasons, like being really weary of paparazzies. Add to that he’s not an out-going guy by nature and you can guess how lonely he is, even bitter. One night,
Too Many Books Too Little Time
You know, I've decided Garrett Leigh might just be my favorite MM author. Consistently love her stuff. She writes the kind of angst I can deal with.

My heart seriously broke for Dominic. And Lucky. This one was a pretty heavy read. And a bit of a downer. I honestly had no idea how things could possibly work out for Dom and Lucky. I really didn't.

But they did. And I loved experiencing their journey.
Jewel
4.5 Stars

I sure do love Garrett Leigh's brand of angst. Her characters seem so real to me. No matter their situations, or social standing, I can always find something to relate to. Lucky had the perfect balance of angst and was I glad there wasn't a bunch of melodrama mixed in. What we get is a believable mix what I could see as real life.

Lucky is about a homeless young man down on his luck and a closeted professional footballer desperate for affection. Neither expect to find anything beyond a r
Cadiva
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There isn't anyone, imho, better at writing these gritty slices of British life than Garrett Leigh.

There are trigger warnings for this one to be aware of but the narrative itself isn't overly angsty or too dramatic

In this one, the first in a new series, we get a closeted Premiership footballer and a young guy down on his luck and hooking up on Grindr for enough cash to get off the. streets.

It's not your usual fare though, as the hook up where Lucky meets Dom is his first time and he's not too go
Ariana
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to google it.
Currently there is exactly ONE football (=soccer) player in England who is openly out. And he doesn't even play for the Premier League.

The FA chairman said at the end of last year that he knew of at least two players in the Premier League who are gay but do not feel safe enough to come out. To highlight the situation this bus with 'every out football player' in the Premier League was part of the Brighton Pride Parade in August 2018.

Of course it is empty.

The pressure for thos
.Lili.
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I've said before, and I'll repeat it: I love Garrett Leigh's writing style. She's got this quiet, understated, emotional quality to her writing that I love.

Lucky is the story about a deep in the closet soccer player and a young man just trying to stay afloat. The two meet during a Grindr hookup,and from the get-go, there was a connection that neither could deny and although they came from different backgrounds, different problems there was a comfort that they were only able to find in each oth
Adam

My feelings about Dom for much of the book:
description

How dare he treat my poor sweet down-on-his-luck (hah, you see what I did there?) Lucky like that.

But pretty soon, Dom grew on me. And by the halfway point I was all:
description

This book has a lot of the staples of an MM sports romance. The closeted player is all messed up and has trouble accepting himself. The love interest remains patient as long as he can. And eventually shit hits the fan.

But in classic Garrett Leigh fashion, the story didn't at all f
Eugenia
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Hot and Angsty!

Let's make this short and sweet:

Super closeted premier footballer falls for homeless, rentboy addict with a heart of gold.

They meet via Grindr, have the best orgasms ever and can't stop thinking about each other. They tell each other nothing about themselves. Lots of pride on the side of our beautiful street boy, Lucky. Lots of angst for our beefy defender, Dom.

This novel could have been shorter. Still, I liked it and these two had several hot scenes. HEA.

Triggers: drug use.
Ky
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

In this romance Garrett Leigh paired up a homeless mechanic with bad habbits and a lonely, closeted football player.

The main characters were interesting and distinguished enough that I never confused one for the other. The secondary ones were less unique and I often forgot who was who but except for Jamila they didn't have a big part in the story so it wasn't really a problem. The story was very focused on the two MCs with their social circle playing minor supporting roles. I'm not com
Denise H.
*** Troubled men who find each other and are given hope !
This is a British setting for a famous closeted footballer

who hides from paparazzi constantly. Dom, 26, with short hair and lots of toned muscles,

is tired of the public personality and lack of honesty. Despite all of his notoriety, he's desperately lonely, always hiding.
He goes to Grindr to hook up, where he finds Lucky,

about 25, a fae-like man with blondish long hair in a bun, who taps into Dom's attraction meter. The feeling is mutua
Bev
Nobody does gritty and supposedly realistic like Garrett. I've read quite a few of her stories now, and it's fairly normal to have a downbeat character [usually a drug user] and a person who....well, isn't... and that's going right back to the first story I read of hers Slide, back in 2013.

I have to say though that for me, this one was a little disappointing and nowhere near as angsty as it could and probably should've been, a lot of filler sex was used to pad out the story....oh, and there was
Elsa Bravante
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Garrett Leigh nunca decepciona, cuando abres sus libros sabes que vas a encontrar lugares comunes, un mundo que a veces puede ser muy cruel, almas perdidas, y esperanzas en forma de amor.
Todo esto se cumple en Lucky, el personaje que da nombre al libro despierta toda la ternura en el lector, también lo hace Dominic, el futbolista profesional, pero de otra forma, a este último a veces es algo más difícil comprender.
Lo he disfrutado y me ha despertado sentimientos, aunque, siendo muy seguidora de
Mónica BQ
Oct 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lazy, shallow and superficial.

Pretty words and good prose can't erase the fact that this is as bland as bland comes. The whole story is completely uninspiring. Basically, if you've read the blurb you've read the entirety of the book.

Closeted rich gay guy meets up with openly pan guy from the wrong side of the tracks. Magically and with absolutely no sense whatsoever they fall for each other and for a hundred pages they go back and forth between:
- Should we/can we be together? Oh, but we shouldn'
Alisa
This was a classic Garrett Leigh book. It was everything I love about her stories. She's the queen of taking guys who are at rock bottom in their lives and somehow turning things around for them and giving them a beautiful happily ever after. This book was no exception.

When we meet these two they are in bad shape. Dom is a professional football player so he has a good career and money but he is isolated and lonely and drowning in self hate and grief. He's in such a bad place he can't even imagi
Idrissa
Nov 23, 2018 added it
Shelves: idk, lgbtq, dnf
No rating. Was unable to finish probably because I'm in a slump.
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
4.5 ⭐
~nikki the recovering book addict
D’awwww!!! 😍

I feel like breaking into a song and dance. Can’t decide what to dance and sing to though. Just know that I feel like my heart is soaring and my feet not quite touching the ground. Mmm mmm!

As with all Garrett Leigh books, I have come to expect angst and heart break. But! It wasn’t too bad here. Sure, Lucky led a shitty life. Circumstances really messed with him. And I don’t want to make light of his homelessness, that’s one of the things that broke my heart, but he did have a BFF wh
Natalie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Garrett Leigh is a favorite of mine, her work often feeling quite melancholy, then leading me gently into a happier place. Not fairytale endings, not sappy or sweet, just ordinary happiness, when someone’s world is made better by hard-won love. Dom has money and fame as a footballer, having dedicated himself to the sport at the expense of his psyche. Just like the majority of professional sports the world over, being gay and out is mostly a career killer. His infrequent encounters with paid Grin ...more
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Oh yeah baby. Super awesome. Garrett Leigh just has this ability to craft characters that I love to read about. Lucky and Dom - such stories. And you know she didn't have to rely on the reader feeling sorry for Lucky because she made it so he'd kick our ass if we did. There is tension but there is also growing love and I did not stop reading until well into the night.
Ami
Eh... things were good when Dom and Lucky were talking about things aside from their physical attraction. But that's it. I always need MORE to feel the connection between characters.

This one feels that these two men are only into it because of sex and their look. Plus, for a football player who is in the closet because of the team and the sport, there's not much of that evidence in the story. Heck, there's not much of football players in here either.

*shrugs*
Sheri
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I eagerly pounce on any and every Garrett Leigh story I can get my hands on for good reason. She never fails to move me with her tales. I have great respect for her as a reader. Her writing is brave, bold, and beautifully expressive. She takes us deep into the shadows but always illuminates them and lifts my heart at the same time. It’s…an experience reading her books. If you haven’t had the pleasure, I urge you to step into her den. Lucky is a real and raw story about two unlikely soul mates th ...more
Amanda
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every time before I start on a book by Garrett Leigh, I need to take a deep breathe and brace myself because....oh my god, the angst.

Dom is a closeted Premiership footballer and Lucky is his Grindr hook up. It was not Dom first rodeo but their encounter left a strong lingering connection between them. Dom's life is a mess despite having a somewhat successful career. Being with Lucky is the only time Dom comes alive and be true to himself even though he is holding himself back. Lucky is even a b
Lelyana
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing

My heart ache for Lucky.

Met in a hook up apps (as usual), Lucky and Dom had an unusual first encounter and they keep going hooking up, on and off considering that Dom is a famous person and in the closet.
I had so many times paused while reading this book, feeling hurt for him. He's not even having a really bad past like some of the 'hard books' Garrett wrote. But Lucky crept into my heart and stayed there. Lucky is a beautiful story, both Lucky and Dom are having their own issues to solve.

I ca
Turning Pages At ...: Lucky (M/M Buddy Read) by Garrett Leigh 6 10 Nov 24, 2018 06:26PM
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide, wo