Start by marking “The Longest Night (Enter Darkness #1)” as Want to Read:
The Longest Night (Enter Darkness #1)

The Longest Night

(Enter Darkness #1)

With humanity on the brink of extinction
They activated the EMP
And now, the world enters darkness

It started with bright lights; a new medical technology, promising to eradicate all human ills. History of blood clots? Cholesterol clogging up the old ticker? There was a nanobot for that. It wasn’t cheap of course, and everyone knew that new technology had bugs in it. But h
Published September 14th 2018

Norma
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
( Format : Audiobook )
"If things go wrong"
2025, and an American biomedical facility had achieved the dream: a simple, if expensive, treatment that not only cures everything from cancer to the common cold but also reverses aging. At first, only the very wealthy could afford it but prices were beginning to come down when disaster struck. Turning on their hosts the nanotechnology created a new killer virus that wiped out 90% of the population. In a desperate attempt to halt the death toll, several
Pat Eroh
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My son is very obsessed with being prepared so I am somewhat familiar with being prepared for that eventual disaster we hope will never come. As did Bradley and others, we make fun and call them conspiracy theories but EMPs are a real threat - not zombies but disease and death will surely come if we find ourselves without power, or the ability to travel or communicate as we do today. This also brings to light a very real desperation of humanity that is very likely to happen should this type of d ...more
Sarah Crawford
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another book about an apocalypse. In this case nanotechnology had been advanced to the point where virtually all diseases could be conquered. The scientists did not expect the technology to turn on them, though, and soon at least 90% of Americans were dead.

This then leads into what most books of this type do and that is the attempt to survive of either one person or a small group of people. Brad is the main character living in a building with some fifty other people, put there by the mil
Richard W. McCuistian
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best stories of its kind I've ever read - and I love the way K. M. Fawkes writes a story. It's not gritty enough to be disturbing, but it's gritty enough to be realistic - Brad is an incredibly interesting character with all the right qualities to make him likeable. And the rich platonic relationship he has with the beautiful woman and her son is heartwarming. This is a great book that is just about the right length (I read it off and on over two days), and it leaves the reade ...more
Stacy Wilson
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Underwhelming.

The best post-apocalyptic books are thought provoking, informative, and entertaining. Sadly, there is precious little valuable information presented; most of what you learn from this book is what not to do. The entrainment value is limited since the main character is such an unimpressive, weak specimen. At every turn he shows himself to be a soy-boy, beta-male. In the end the only thoughts this caused for me is how I ended up hoping the protagonist would either man up or die.
Daniel Clark
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good!

I was skeptical at first, with the whole "nanobot causes the apocalypse" thing.
But that turned out to be a non issue. The best thing about this is, it's NOT your typical "survival story" written by someone who is utterly clueless about survival. The main characters and most of the events are actually believable. The writing isn't flawless, and there are a few questionable aspects, but they aren't so glaring and often, like so many in the genre these days.

It's a good read and I
Susan
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Longest Night is the first book in the Enter Darkness series. This should not be read as a standalone as it is clear that the story doesn't end here. There is violence. As technology and science advance us, not all of those advances turn out to be positive. This story is about one of those that look good on the surface but later on have a dark side. Can we survive the new reality? This is a well written story and I can't wait to read the next part!
Pam Shelton-Anderson
I like that nanotechnology was at the root of the original problem and that the EMP is a desperate attempt to fix the problem. A nice difference in plot from other EMP stories. After we learn about the nanobots etc, they sort of fade to the background though. I like Brad as a character and look forward to find out what happens to him and his small group. The writing tends to be a little uneven, bogging down at times but it will, hopefully, improve in the next book.
Susan
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed

This is an interesting story somewhat slow paced which is a nice change from the usual prepper tales. Our hero is an introspective quiet type who has a high moral code. Some reviews have criticized this story for being predictable. Just remember it is fiction and after reading a hundred survival stories there only so much leeway.
Valerie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it.

Ordinary people doing the best they can to survive in tumultuous times with horrible things happening everywhere around. I want to know what happens next so I will definitively read the next in the series.
timj26
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fresh take on the end of the world that seems more like a premonition then fiction
Looking forward to books 2 and 3 on audiobook
I received a free review audiobook and voluntarily left this review
Kevin Taylor
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written, different to most ive read

Brilliantly written first book, can't wait to start the second.

Totally different feel to this book compared to others in the same genre.
Sarah Bird
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Diana J Howell
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not To My Liking

I could not make it past Chapter 11. I continued thinking that the writing would get better. It was too wordy with descriptions and reminded me of a youths view point. Keep working on it, with time you will get better.
Walter
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Post apocalyptic book. Shame it was so short

Really enjoyed this. Just wish it was longer. Shame it's split into parts, but still a great read. Going to get the next one now
Bernie
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Longest Night review

The Longest Night is the first post apocalyptic book in the Enter Darkness series written by author K. M. Fawkes.
Victoria Busby
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Awesome story of post-apocalyptic world and survival. The author has a very good premise of what causes the world to end as we know it.
Scott  D Groff
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, excellent book. I've read book 2 and pre-ordered book 3.
Peggy Pancherz
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Read all of the books in order to really enjoy.. Characters are realistic and get better and better. Storyline continues to grow and develop.
J
Dec 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: set-aside
I knew it would be a rough ride when the Preface ran for 7% of the book - all expository world-building and backstory, without a single MC introduced. *big fat headshake*
Danielle
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
The main character is disappointing. I kept wanting to just skip ahead out of boredom and frustration.
Elizabeth
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ku
It was ok, but just didn't manage to draw me in.
Corinne
Nov 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
About as interesting as watching paint dry.

Really, really boring. I’m not sure there are any other useful words. I was so bored, I ended up skimming to get to the end.
Tammie Burke
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. I stayed up half the night to finish it. I can't wait to read the next in the series "Dead of Winter".
Babette
Jan 21, 2019
Robert D. Mainhart
Dec 22, 2018
  • Toplin
  • The Fluted Girl (Great Science Fiction Stories)
  • The Elric Saga Part III (Elric Saga, #8-9)
  • The Abandoned (Harrow House, #4)
  • Runner (Run #1)
  • The Blood Book: Tales, Confessions and Rumors of the Worlds
  • To Run With The Swift (The Guardian #2)
  • To Kill With Reason
  • The Shadow Roads (The Swans' War #3)
  • Visions of Heaven and Hell
  • The Door Before (100 Cupboards #0)
  • The Harvest (The Heartland Trilogy, #3)
  • Темная сторона (Лабиринты Ехо, #4)
  • Black Light Express (Railhead, #2)
  • The Fatal Tree (Bright Empires, #5)
  • The Magicians and the Magician King

Enter Darkness (4 books)
  • Dead Of Winter (Enter Darkness #2)
  • The Survivors (Enter Darkness #3)
  • Thin Ice (Enter Darkness #4)