Start by marking “Ultimate Hulk Vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Hulk Vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human

Ultimate Hulk Vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  649 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
It's the Ultimate war between the Hulk and Iron Man! Desperate for a cure to his dark disease, scientist Bruce Banner begs Tony Stark for a release from the curse of the Hulk! Stark agrees - but in the midst of the experimentation, something goes horribly wrong. And you know what happens next: Man and monster collide! Collects Ultimate Human #1-4.
Paperback, TPB, 104 pages
Published December 3rd 2008 by Marvel (first published May 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Hulk Vs. Iron Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Hulk Vs. Iron Man

Jeff
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Three and a half stars

Hey, this is an Ultimate book from Marvel. What does that mean? Back in 2000, Marvel launched a line of comics that reimagined and updated their superheroes, while still keeping their regular universe of comics going. Ultimate Spider-Man was probably the most successful re-invention, with others like the X-Men and Ultimates/Avengers achieving variable amounts of success. Well, what about the Ultimate Hulk?

The Ultimate Hulk comes pretty close to Stan Lee’s original cop of th
Mike
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
I really liked this tale from the Marvel Ultimate universe, but I can certainly see where it could be a "your mileage may vary" sort of story. Dr. David Bruce Banner, still hiding the terrible burden of also being the Mr. Hyde-like Hulk, approaches Tony Stark, billionaire genius playboy philanthropist Iron Man, for help.

We see some more of Tony Stark's serious side, as he undertakes the research necessary to help Banner regain his human side. And we see a touch of hubris as well -- both when Sta
Sam Quixote
Iron Man fights Hulk after a failed experiment to infect Banner’s blood with nanotech to control the Hulk genes. But the fight is cut short as another failed experiment, the Leader (dude with a big head), tries to take the blood of both Iron Man and Hulk!

Warren Ellis’ Marvel work is very hit and miss and unfortunately Ultimate Human is one of his lesser books. This short four issue book is really a bridge between Mark Millar's first two Ultimates volumes where in Volume 1 Hulk goes on a rampage
StoryTellerShannon
Banner needs help but Stark cannot help him, only talk useless jargon.

HULK SMASH!!!

Eventually, the main attraction comes about: Iron Man and the Hulk go at it.

HULK SMASH!!!

What more do you need to know?

HULK SMASH!!!

Written by Warren Ellis and illustrations by Cary Nord. His artwork is arguably the biggest attraction to this fun yet very light piece.

CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B minus; STORY/PLOTTING/EDITING: B minus;
ARTISTIC PRESENTATION: B to B plus; ACTION SCENES: B minus to B;
WHEN READ: end of Jan
Meghan
The Hulk is sad. I deduce this from the fact that he has taken to hulk out in somber grays instead of his more usual jolly green hue, and the fact that in human form he dresses like a homeless trucker and looks like a kicked puppy. (These are probably just Ultimate things, but whatever.)

The Hulk is sad because the Super Soldier serum made "dumb as a sack of hammers" Steve Rogers into some kind of tactical genius, whereas it reduces poor Bruce to something "with the IQ of a shoe". (Apparently, in
Dan Magaha
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Not bad, but not really up to Ellis' standards, though this may not be fair considering his Extremis arc is basically the definitive modern take on Iron Man and much of the bible for the film franchise juggernaut.

It's the same Downeyesque Tony Stark here, but the focus of the story is really on Bruce and the Hulk, and then Ellis pulls an Ellis and introduces a character he created years ago (Pete Wisdom) and rolls out a new backstory setting him up as the Ultimate universe's Leader (massive cran
Brad
Aug 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
Warren Ellis has the recipe down on these books. Mix some smart characters, a few big sci-fi ideas (here: nanotechnology and making soldiers that can fight on Venus), a lot of dialogue and a teensy bit of action. It reads quick and fun. It's worked for him ever since Stormwatch, and he doesn't deviate much from the formula. Hulk and Iron Man's fighting mostly make sense, and the new version of the Leader, using an old Ellis mainline Marvel character Pete Wisdom, is a menacing reminder that there ...more
Justin
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a major fan of Iron Man, Warren Ellis, and Marvel's Ultimate line, there was never any doubt I would enjoy the Ultimate Human limited series. I'm sure it was no coincidence that Marvel scheduled this series just as the main characters - Iron Man and the Hulk - are riding a major wave of box office driven popularity. This 4-issue series focuses on Tony Stark's efforts to cure Bruce Banner of his Hulk "problem" and also introduces the Ultimate version of the old Hulk foe The Leader. Like nearly ...more
Artur Coelho
Dentro do universo Ultimate, que modifica os personagens clássicos da Marvel para estarem mais alinhados com o universo cinematográfico, Warren Ellis usa o seu habitual futurismo amoral para recriar a narrativa clássica de lutas entre Hulk e outros heróis. Bruce Banner contacta Tony Stark para este usar a sua nano-tecnologia para o curar da maldição do Hulk, neste universo específico não o resultado de uma exposição a raios gama mas de uma tentativa frustrada de recriar o soro que tornou Steve R ...more
Jacob Thornburg
It's not bad, but it's not great. It's marketed as Ultimate Hulk vs.Ultimate Iron Man, and it is, in the sense that X-Men was Wolverine vs. Sabertooth - that was part of the story, but only a small part. I don't regret the buy, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody ever.
Ryan
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciate how Mark Millar's Ultimates tries to place the Avengers in a more international context (this is less prevalent in Jeph Loeb's and Joe Madureira's Ultimates 3 run, which is currently shaping into a complete fucking disaster. Each issue is also consistently late. I mean, if you're going to fuck up, can you please do so on a regular schedule?).

In Ultimate Human, Ellis uses the Leader's origin to build up the political foundation Millar set with Ultimates. It's an interesting an
Joel Griswell
Hmm. This could have been much better, but ultimately flounders. Following in the "Ultimate" continuity (with Iron Man's funky nanite technology), this tale brings Bruce Banner to Tony Stark, seeking a cure to his disease. I was optimistic about this book, since it features two great characters, and also the whole "ultimate human" idea is quite interesting, pitting dull-headed monster against intelligent machine power. The book starts off well, with a establishing a good, well-written relationsh ...more
Mely
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, read-seq-art
May have read in December, I forget. Anyway, this is another Ultimate Iron Man tale from Warren Ellis that starts off with compelling and intriguing character, moral, and plot questions and then ends up in bizarre WTF-is-that and WTF-does-that-have-to-do-with-any-of-these-issues pulp comics land. Bruce Banner comes to Tony Stark to beg the use of Stark's nanotech to inhibit the Hulk. Stark agrees to help, and there's some interesting and tense conversation between the two of them about directed ...more
Ben Guilfoy
I guess I just didn't see the point of this story. It's very short, and not particularly dense. Too much of it involves people sitting down in offices having meetings and drinking coffee, while the cover teases a battle between Hulk and Iron Man that's over practically before it starts. There are some interesting ideas at work, and the dialog by Warren Ellis is fine... but the story itself is so short that almost nothing happens. The cover blurb promises "political intrigue" but this is limited ...more
Sean
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one!
You ever read a book and wonder why? Why was this written? What was this book supposed to accomplish? Those are some of the questions I have after reading this trade by Warren Ellis and Cary Nord. Ellis has always been hit or miss for me. Brilliant one week, abysmal the next. Here, Ellis seems to just needed an excuse to add Pete Wisdom to the Ultimate Universe. Its not only unnecessary, its uninteresting. Add that to an awful reimagining of a classic Hulk villain and you have a strange read to ...more
Travis Duke
The hulk needs help! HULK HELP! who else to help old banner but Stark himself. This is a really cool story where Bruce finally asks Tony to help him correct his mistakes in his super soldier serum. So like a good "friend" tony takes him to the iron works to observe his transformation and help him. Of coarse none of this goes to plan and we get a nice fight between leader, iron man and hulk.

There is one really good quality about this book, Warren Ellis's writing. The way Ellis describes the "scie
MJ
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what the general comic book geeks take on the reinvention of the Marvel Universe in the Ultimate series but I really like them - I loved Ultimate Iron Man vol 1 & 2, as well as the Spider-Man and X-men volumes I've read so far.

This book turned out to be just as satisfying although the story was a bit more abrupt (i.e., it sort of resolves everything in the last 2 pages of the final issue). The imaging of Bruce Banner as a real sad-sack works for me.
Paul Mirek
Ellis's and Rucka's takes (the latter in his Queen and Country series) on the politics of British espionage mesh together so well. Of course, this book also has superheroes in it, but they're 21st-century, Marvel-movie-toned, so they're not too much of a stretch from the hard-boiled tone of men and women making the wrong decisions as they try to do the right thing. Also, Cary Nord is a true professional.
Jukka Kuva
Feb 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was bound to happen one day. Warren Ellis has written something bad. Ultimate Human deals with Bruce Banner who asks Tony Stark to help him get rid of Hulk. The characters are indifferent and flat, there's lots of boring and useless text especially in the third issue and the plot itself goes nowhere. To top it all Nord's artwork is pretty horrible.

This is now the first exception to the Ellis-is-worth-your-time rule. Don't bother.
Mark
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The Marvel Ultimate series restarts their most popular titles with a more modern perspective.

For this book Bruce Banner (Hulk) goes to Tony Stark (Iron Man) for help with his anger management.

Notes
Fans of the traditional Marvel story line may not care for Ultimate changes.

Learning Curve
Low: Good for new readers.
Kevin Izworski
Was OK, ended kind of abruptly. (view spoiler)
Shannon
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book
Good story and art. I liked the interactions between Stark and Banner. Most of the action happens in the middle of the story, and the ending is a little abrupt, but getting there was worth it. This is what the Ultimate Universe was supposed to be, not the "What If..." style story telling that came later with silly plots, and where they just killed off characters because they could.
Paul
Jul 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Noah Soudrette
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A wonderfully fun, humorous, and action packed little story that sees this summers two movie giants team up to fight ultimate Pete Wisdom... the Leader! Wacky, I know. Of course, this is by Warren Ellis, so it's great. Also, Cary Nord of Conan fame, provides so nice art.
Sineala
Better than Millar's Ults and better than Ults Iron Man, but that's really not saying much.

This is also the creepiest Pete Wisdom I have ever seen in my life, dear God. He's practically Davros. I like Pete Wisdom. I... was never really a fan of Davros.
Clay
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Renata
I mean I don't know much about Hulk & Iron Man comics except they were my faves from the Avengers movie. Shit got real high tech here and Bruce Banner's face was literally a sad emoticon :( Anyway it was a pretty fun read.
catechism
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I do love me some Warren Ellis but I could not possibly care less about Bruce Banner. I bought this mostly for the Tony Stark. Still, the plot kept me turning pages and reading instead of just turning them and looking for Tony, so it can't have sucked that bad.
April
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's worth knowing/mentioning that this takes place in the Ultimates 'verse originally created by Mark Millar so this isn't much like the movies or the larger series of comic books relating to each character.
Sean Brennan
A fair story from Ellis, that I was glad to say did not devolve into a fight fest. between the pair of The Hulk and Iron Man, I particulary enjoyed the 3rd segment of the story which contained the history of The Leader.
  • Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk
  • Ultimate Iron Man, Vol. 2 (Ultimate Iron Man, #2)
  • Ultimatum: March On Ultimatum
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 2: Chameleons
  • Ultimate Elektra, Volume 1: Devil's Due
  • Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Volume 2: Two Cities. Two Worlds.
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2 (Ultimate X-Men hardcovers, #2)
  • Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Volume 1
  • Incredible Hulk, by Jason Aaron, Volume 2
  • Indestructible Hulk, Volume 3: S.M.A.S.H. Time
  • Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Volume 1
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 3: Until the Stars Turn Cold
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...