Start by marking “Keep Her Close” as Want to Read:
Keep Her Close

Keep Her Close

Someone took your daughter. And nobody believes you …

Then:
Three-year-old Ally was found alone in a parking lot.
She was barefoot and dressed only in a yellow sundress. In the middle of winter.
What kind of person would abandon their daughter?

Now:
Fifteen years later and Ally has a new family.
But her real father has sent her a letter.
And now Ally is missing.

A gripping
Published December 5th 2018 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Keep Her Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Her Close

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
This fast-paced thriller has some wild characters and a twisty plot that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page! Erik Therme’s newest novel Keep Her Close is quite a ride, taking the reader through some of the seedier parts of town and introducing characters that feel straight out of a movie. Readers will not find a slow moment in this book!

Read my full review on my blog, PhDiva.blo!

Reflection

Fifteen years ago a 3-year old was found abandoned in a parking lot with her mo
Selena
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a free e-copy of Keep Her Close by Erik Therme from Netgalley for my honest review.

Ally was abandoned in a parking lot at the age of three. She was adopted by the couple that had found her. Ally is an adult now and she receives a letter from her real father who wants to meet her. She goes to meet him but now she is missing. Worse yet, she never told anyone that she was going. This was an okay read, but unrealistic. I enjoyed the beginning of the book but struggled with connecting with
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
When Dan and Holly find an abandoned 3 year old girl on a parking lot with a sign saying “ Free to a good home” they end up adopting her and calling her Ally.

When Ally is 18 she receives a letter from her real Dad saying he has Cancer and wants to meet up. She goes to meet him then consequently goes missing.

I really liked the storyline but at times it became farcical with lots of side plots that meandered off on their own. It wasn’t totally realistic but then fiction is meant to be an escape fro
Mandy White
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This book started off so well but unfortunately did not keep going for me. I found it totally unbelievable and far fetched.. to the point where it made me laugh. I wanted to love this book but maybe my standards are too high after reading so many brilliant books this year.

Ally was abandoned in a parking lot at the age of 3... now aged 18 she has a new family and life. She receives a letter from her biological father and she is desperate to know where she really came from. Against her families be
Shalini
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was one of the most twisted fantasies that I have ever read. Whaaaat… where… how… do I say it is fantasy when the cover looks like the psychological thriller?

Yes, it was a thriller, but it was the most fantastical one that I have ever read, and believe me, I’ve read many. And not in a good way at all!! The book had so many twists that I could just read wide-eyed and open-mouthed, worried where the story was going because it made so many in-roads into so many unnecessary details that I was a
Amy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phew, what a crazy, intense read this one was! You know those one sitting, edge of your seat type of reads that only come along occasionally? Keep Her Close is that kind of read, it was wild.

The less you know about this one, the better, there are so many insane twists and turns all the way through that I can’t say much more than what the blurb reveals or I would be verging into spoiler territory. It’s incredibly fast paced, exciting and played off all of my worst fears as parent. I will say that
Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

Ally was found alone in a parking lot, dirty, barefooted, in the middle of winter. She was 3 years old. A short way away was the body of a woman. She had jumped or been pushed off the roof. Her mother? Aunt? Her father was never found.

A young couple who found her ended up adopting her. She's been the light for both her new parents.

It is now 15 years later. Ally is well-adjusted .. living away from home for the first time .. and she's just received a letter from her 'real' father. He say
Lou
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed Erik Therme's previous novels I was eager to begin Keep Her Close, but the interesting and promising premise was poorly executed, unfortunately. The first few chapters were exciting and engaging, and I thought this was going to be a corker of a read, but it was not meant to be. I don't mind a large cast of characters if they actually progress the story, but there were simply too many irrelevant people hanging around. It also irritated me that most characters were not exactly the b ...more
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Ally is a typical eighteen year old who has just recently left home and is doing her best to make it in the world. Even though her adoptive parents, Holly and Dan are no longer together, you can still feel the tight family unit that they have. All they want is the best for their little girl and I could totally get why alarm bells would be ringing when a letter turns up out of the blue from her real father.

Dan is the type of person who acts first and thinks later. Whilst he may not be the most r
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Els
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know the feeling when someone stands behind you, gives you a push in the back and you can't help falling? Well, this is what the beginning of the book did to me. I was immediately immersed in the story.

My mind took me in a certain direction, but the author decided to take a turn and I loved it. He took me on a totally different path and what is a psychological thriller without that one brilliant crazy person? The author certainly created a gem of a twisted mind.

Normally at the end of a book,
Robyn
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
While on their way to a midnight movie, Dan and Holly, a young married couple find an abandoned 3 year old girl wearing a yellow dress in the parking garage. Three stories below is the body of a woman in a pool of blood believed to be her mother. Dan and Holly adopt the little girl and name her Ally. Fifteen years later, Ally is sent a letter from a man claiming to be her real father and he would like to see her before he dies of cancer. Ally has always had questions about her “real” family and ...more
Diane Lynch
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Keep Her Close is a scary, suspenseful page-turner because in today’s work it can happen. A little abandon girl nene Ally is found and rescued by a loving couple. Ally’s adoptive parents are divorced, so life gets complicated with mom, dad, and stepdad.

Ally would love to find her dad. Learn what happened to him. Miraculously Ally gets a letter from her supposed biological dad. Things get scary crazy after this. Ally disappears.

The characters are well defined. Ally id a trusting, innocent girl
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

While this wasn't an intense thriller with a huge powerful ending, it was still a decent read and I really rather enjoyed it. There was enough going on to keep it interesting and it kept being so right to the last page. The introduction to the story which told of how Ally came into her adoptive parents lives was very well written and was a great way to begin. I would definitely recommend this
Diah R
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
2/5 (thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for the digital ARC copy!)

Keep Her Close should be renamed as Taken: Keep Her Close. Or something similar.

Couple Dan and Holly found a three year old Ally abandoned and after a long process adopted her. Fifteen years later, Dan and Holly had a divorce, Holly remarried, Ally moved out from her parents' houses and suddenly received a letter from her real father. Ally wanted to meet the sender, but Dan disagreed. And one day, Ally disappeared.

I love me a m
Irene
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
15 Years ago Dan and Holly were on their way to a midnight movie when they discovered a toddler alone in the parking garage, standing on a sign that read simply "Free to good home."
No relatives were ever located, and after a huge ordeal of red tape they were eventually allowed to adopt her. Now at 18, she is recently moved out with a roommate, when she receives an upsetting letter. Someone claiming to be her real father wants to meet her. Dan believes it is just a prank and wants her to forget a
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
The book starts with a really heartbreaking scene. A young married couple Holly and Dan find a little girl, obviously neglected and abused in nothing but a dirty dress all alone in a parking lot. She has a little cardboard sign Free to a good home. A dead woman they assume is her mother is found not far away.

Fast forward fifteen years and the little girl that they christened Ally is now a happy eighteen year old, that is until a letter shows up claiming to be from her real father. Unable to stop
Denise
Dec 06, 2018 added it
"...there's no such thing as good or evil; there are only choices." In the case of this book, all the choices are BAD ones!

This is best described as a farcical domestic drama with a series of events so implausible as to defy even the strongest ability for one to suspend disbelief. From the opening premise to the inconclusive ending, the story takes the reader an a ride so wild that it left me shaking my head in wonder that I actually finished it.

Ally was found in a parking structure when she wa
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a digital arc of #KeepHerClose from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was the first book I have read by this author but I would be interested in reading more by him in the future. From the very first page I was hooked and found myself unable to put it down. I read it all in one sitting. For me this was a real page turner and with the end of each chapter I was compelled to keep reading and find out how the story progressed. It felt like almost every chapter left me with
Kat
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very quick read and the storyline set over just one day, the plot was interesting but somehow I just failed to connect with the characters. especially the father who I found to be very annoying. The book held my interest but at time seemed a little bit too contrived but maybe that was just me as I read a lot of thrillers. All in all the book was a solid 3 stars and others many enjoy it more than I did. My thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for the chance to read the ARC.
Paul DiBara
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Three year old Ally is found a short distance from a woman who had apparently jumped to her death. She is found and adopted by Holly and Dan. Eighteen year old Ally is a sweet but somewhat naive woman who really wants to find out something about her past, hopefully who her parents were, or are.

Problem is, there are people who want to take advantage of this desire for their own benefit.

This is a story of deception, naivety, criminality, stupidity, and insanity. It is often helpful to speak of the
Debbi Lund
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read!

A girl just looking for answers, stumbles into more than she expects. Lots of plot twists and characters keep you guessing until the end!
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Review to come
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If there’s one thing this Ginger Book Geek likes, it’s discovering new authors and Erik Therme is certainly a new author to me. I couldn’t wait to start reading and so without further ado, I jumped straight in. I was not to be disappointed as I thoroughly enjoyed ‘Keep Her Close’ but more about that in a bit.
I couldn’t help but feel for Ally right from the very start of the book and I ended up feeling very protective of her. When the story opens a very young Ally is on her own in a car park with
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
"Ally stepped into the room but lingered just inside the entrance. The man in the chair had to be Frank-who else would it be? -but he looked nothing like Ally had imagined. His face was heavily line with wrinkles, and although he was bald on top, there was a ring of thin gray hair strewn across the the recliner's headrest. His arms and legs were twigs, and even from this distance, she could hear his choppy, uneven breathing. If she didn't know any better, Ally would have guessed the man to be he ...more
Sharon
The book is set mainly in present day and the story revolves around Ally receiving a letter from someone who claims to be her father. He is dying and wants to meet her after years of searching for her. Clashing with Dan, her adoptive father about her meeting him, Ally disappears after arranging a meeting with him.

By this point I was well and truly hooked into the story. I liked Dan and Holly’s characters, both obviously being good people for adopting Ally all those years before. You can also tel
Pauline
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Keep Her Close by Erik Therme is a fast paced thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat. I read in in one day as I did not want to put it down.
Dan and Holly find a three year old child abandoned in a parking lot. After the authorities fail to find her parents Dan and Holly adopt her and bring her up as their daughter.
Fifteen years later their daughter now called Ally has left home to start college.
She has always wondered about her birth family and when she receives a letter from a man claimin
Maureen
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was slow getting started but it picked up speed and delivered a punch at the end. Dan and Holly find an abandoned 3-4 year old child one evening and after a year with no one claiming her, they adopt her.

Ally, now a high graduate longs to find her biological family and her friend Cal tries to help. Many dominoes fall before the novel wraps it. I appreciate the publisher and NetGalley allowing me to be an early reader in exchange for my fair and honest review.
Kate Ellis
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A different style of Psychological Thriller. Some parts of the plot were less believable but none the less it was a quick and satisyfying book. What an ending!....suspense remains so I hope to read the sequel if there is one...
Jessica Jade
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
When I first started this book I was so sure it was going to be amazing. That first chapter seemed to set up the most perfect mystery and I was engrossed instantly but it just didn't live up to my expectations.. I think that's why I didn't love it as much as I probably would have if that first chapter didn't create an amazing plot in my head.

I didn't hate it though, I wanted to keep reading and I was very invested in the mystery and I suppose it did massively throw me off because it wasn't what
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Forget Me Not
  • Before I Find You: Are you being followed?
  • Keeper (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells, #2)
  • Love Me, Love Me Not
  • Treason's Tide  (Archives of the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey, #1)
  • The Perfect Victim (Sophie Kent #2)
  • The Twins (The Twins #1)
  • Finding Grace
  • Dalintober Moon (DCI Daley, #1.5)
  • Forget Me Not (A Thrilling Suspense Novel) (Summit Lake Thriller Book 1)
  • The Classroom
  • Der Schock
  • The Girl Behind the Lens
  • The Rival
  • Dark Lies (Detective Rhodes and Radley #1)
  • Soot
  • Lies Between Us
  • Friend of the Family
Erik Therme has thrashed in garage bands, inadvertently harbored runaways, and met Darth Vader. When he’s not at his computer, he can be found cheering on his youngest daughter’s volleyball team, or watching horror movies with his oldest. He currently resides in Iowa City, Iowa—one of only twenty-eight places in the world that UNESCO has certified as a City of Literature. Join Erik’s mailing list ...more