Start by marking “The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent #1)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent #1)

The Darkest Bloom

(Shadowscent #1)

In the empire of Aramtesh, scent has power.

When disaster strikes and the crown prince lies poisoned, long suppressed rivalries threaten to blow the empire apart. It’s up to a poor village girl with a talent for fragrances and the prince’s loyal bodyguard to find an antidote.

To succeed, the pair must uncover secrets – cryptic, ancient tales as well as buried truths from the
Published February 2019 by Scholastic

Warda
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I first read the blurb for this book, I immediately wanted to read it. A fantasy story based on scent? How unique that is. I just fell in love with the sound of the story. But what it ended up being wasn't to my taste.

It's not that it was bad. I found it too mediocre. I liked the plot well enough, but since I didn't form an attachment to the characters, I didn't connect to the story as well as I would've liked.
I found the world a bit too confusing. The magic system was barely there and I di
Paige
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-physical-arc
Good. Really good. A good fantasy adventure and great start to a series (with a cliffhanger ending ugh).

Check out my full review (and giveaway!) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQcYX...
Samantha Shannon
A sweeping and sensuous debut. Anyone who knows the genre will recognise the base notes of The Darkest Bloom – the journey to collect ingredients, the deciphering of ancient riddles – but it’s also not quite like anything I’ve read before. P.M. Freestone has achieved a great feat of imagination in Aramtesh, an empire where smell is queen of the five senses and scent is braided in to every aspect of life, from religion to language to trade.

Like incense, the plot burns slowly, but you wouldn’t wa
Divine
OOOOHHHHH This is quite a fresh fantasy book especially with that unique magic system based off of fragrances and poison???? hmmmzzzz
Jasmine
I got to read an early draft of this, and you all are in for a treat. Such an interesting world, and such a page turning plot-pace, and such stubborn, driven, delightful characters.
Alisha Tarran
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
I was so intrigued by this when I heard about it, a poisoned prince, fragrances, a loyal bodyguard and a quest to find the antidote and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this adventure!

I really liked the focus on scents, not just in the story but in the writing. Scent subtly seeped in to the pages, and the writing style itself was rich. Each sentence was laced with detail that draws you in to the world and gets you acclimated to it in one chapter, although I did have a few confused moments as I was
A.M.
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
The story in a nutshell: For all her skills in scentlore, village girl Rakel is powerless against the disease ravaging her father. Then the Crown Prince is poisoned and Rakel becomes the main suspect. Joined by mysterious prince's bodyguard Ash, Rakel is on a race against time to find the antidote and clear her name. But what will the journey to collect rare ingredients reveal about their pasts?

I saw this gorgeous ARC and had to pick it up (I'm shallow like that). Then I started reading and all
Lauren
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review to come soon.
Sarah Broadley
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a world where scent is key, Rakel's impressive scentlore skills are no match for the disease that is ravaging her family and members of her village, not to mention the city beyond.

At the palace, the empire is rocked after the Prince is poisoned. Ash, the Prince's Imperial Guard must find him a cure if the Prince is to survive.

Together Rakel & Ash follow in the footsteps of legends of old to retrieve illusive items to create a cure for those that they love. As they encounter obstacles tha
Sophie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been lucky enough to read an advance copy of this and just loved it. The world is beautifully drawn with lush details and wonderfully different and challenging geography as the two main characters race against time across it. The idea of scent as social status and power is created so well and permeates the language until it pretty much set my nose twitching! I also seriously enjoyed seeing how the two characters, both driven but in very different ways, are forced to work together to solve a ...more
Nicole Sweeney
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles.

As soon as I read the synopsis of this book it went on my wish list. It sounded completely unlike anything I’d read before and I was so fascinated by this beautiful sounded story. I’m so happy to say that it was everything I wanted and more. This is a superb start to a new fantasy series that will have you hooked and leave you wanting more.

The story follows Rakel a young girl who is brilliant at detecting scents and understanding fragrances
Stephanie
I was ultimately a little let down.
The book started with so much promise. . . And then I'm not sure what happened.
I feel terrible giving it a low rating because I highly anticipated this book. Maybe that's some of my problem.

The descriptions are wonderful and the first portion of the book was incredible. However once the main plot got underway, it seemed to lose all sense of urgency.
The Prince has been poisoned.
The characters go figuring and gathering each ingredient without too much trouble.
Moon
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This one was hard to review. I really enjoyed the Rakel chapters, but for most of the story just didn't care about Ash chapters, and I found Barden more interesting that Ash. Which I don't think is what is meant to happen.
On the scent side I loved the scent hints, and just wish there was more about it than the "go on an adventure". Would've loved more chapters on the training, more time to get to the poisoning so we know more of this world rather than doing the whole find the Library and fix thi
Stephen
PaleHorsemen
Feb 07, 2019
50 Shades of Reader
Jan 27, 2019
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove #1)
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle #1)
  • Oasis
  • Untitled
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera #1)
  • This Vicious Cure (This Mortal Coil #3)
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Dark Lord's Daughter
  • Chilling Effect (Untitled, #1)
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (Untitled, #1)
  • Stepsister
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Temper
  • Edgling
***Please note that I don't check GR messages. If you'd like to get in touch, my website lists the various ways to reach me***

P. M. Freestone writes young adult fiction. Her debut novel, Shadowscent: The Darkest Bloom will be published by Scholastic in 2019 and the sequel in 2020. She is a Clarion Writers’ Workshop (University of California) graduate, a Scottish Book Trust New Writer’s Award winne

Shadowscent (2 books)
  • Untitled (Shadowscent #2)