Start by marking “Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)” as Want to Read:
Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)

Happy Girl Lucky

(The Valentines #1)

Introducing The Valentines. Fame – It Runs in the Family!

Sisters Hope, Faith and Mercy have everything: fame, success, money and beauty. But what Hope wants most of all is love, and it doesn’t matter how far she has to go to find it.

Except real-life isn't like the movies. Even if you're a Valentine...
Published February 7th 2019 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Happy Girl Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Girl Lucky

Start your review of Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Happy Girl Lucky - ★★★★★
#2 Far From Perfect - ★★★★

I am hosing a GIVEAWAY on my instagram page, ending on 22nd February 2019. Enter for a chance to win 5 signed copies with 5 pop sockets!

Happy Girl Lucky is the first book from The Valentines Series. This is a story about a famous family, The Valentines, who have been Hollywood stars for ages. Hope is one of the daughters of the famous couple, but she grows up without all that paparazzi attent
Maddie
I desperately wanted to DNF this book. It just wasn't for me. The style was too middle-grade, the characters all so annoying, Hope was far too selfish for me, and her 'ideal world' just made me so mad. I always knew something would go wrong, and I loved it when Hope realised what that wrong thing was. Serves her right for always thinking about herself. She's just so up herself, and she just really annoyed me. I just didn't like being in her head, constantly directing perfect scenes, orchestratin ...more
Judit
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2018: So I might have *accidentally* pre-ordered this book.

***

Sep 06, 2018: NEW BOOK BY HOLLY SMALE AND WE HAVE A COVER!!! I'M SO EXCITED!
Kirsty Stanley
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I’m a huge fan of Holly’s writing and have been a champion of her Geek Girl series, whose protagonist Harriet was the geekiest of adorable geeks and you couldn’t help but love her.

The Valentines Sisters therefore had big boots to fill and it’s a good thing they can afford the best boots out there.

We start with the story of the youngest sister, Hope.

Fifteen year old Hope has grown up in a famous family - her parents met on the set of a film - but out of the limelight. The Valentines
Kirsty
Jan 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ukya, uk-author
Well that was awful. Main character was incredibly annoying. More like an attention seeking 7 year old than a 15 year old. She was incredibly stupid and self involved to the point where she didn't notice the blindingly obvious stuff happening around her. All the other characters around her (apart from Roz) where all vapid awful people.

I finished it because I constantly hoped it would get better. It didn't.
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author of the wonderful Geek Girl series is back with a new series about The Valentines Family.

After I got used to Hope Valentines way of thinking that everything is a Hollywood movie and that she daydreams a lot, plus often uses words incorrectly, I whizzed through this book.

All she wants is to be 16 to be allowed to start being an actress like everyone else in her family. She has three older siblings who barely notice her, and parents who aren't really about.

You can't help but feel sorr
Mehsi
A book with a promising first chapter... but after that it goes downhill fast. Sadly.

This was one of my OMG need to read NOW books, and so I was delighted that one of my libraries had it in stock and in English even. Yes! A day after I got it I started reading it, but quickly my love for the book fell apart. The first chapter was pretty nice, I loved the second one, but yeah.

The main problem to this would be Hope. Hope who is according to the book 15 going on 16. However there is only one point
Bev
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hope is the youngest in her acting dynasty family and she is being sheltered by them until her 16th birthday in a few months. She is a dreamy, happy girl who is desperate to find someone to love and to love her. She has an internal monologue that turns her life into film scenes and doesn't really relate to the real world. When she meets American Jamie she falls in love almost instantly but is he really the golden boy he seems at first?

In the first few chapters of the book I must admit I found H
Writing style 10/10
Plot: 5.5/10
Relationships 6/10
Enjoyment : 5/10
Overall: 3⭐ (6.67)
Happy Girl Lucky is the first book in Holly Smale's new book series Valentines. In the first book we follow the youngest sister, Hope. I really loved Geek Girl series and I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this book. Anyways, I am planning to continue the series
I really didn't like Hope. She was just so annoying. I get it, she is supposed to be hopeless romantic, but she fe
Eve beinguniquebooks
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hope is the youngest of the famous Valentine's, at nearly sixteen she isn't allowed in the spotlight yet but can't wait to be allowed as she dreams constantly of film style monologues and meeting the one, Hope is desperate for her future to begin.

A firm believer in star signs she hope's that they will guide her through life and to the one, enter Jamie making Hope the happy go lucky girl she is enter a new level of extreme happiness!

Jamie is a Californian she meets by accident only to discover he
Chloe
Mar 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have never ever written a review on Goodreads before, but this book was so stupid that I had to write one.

First of all, I do not understand how someone can be so stupid and oblivious. I mean really, did Hope seriously not understand that Jamie really didn't want to date her when she turned up in Los Angeles (I can't believe after a week of "dating" she flew to America so that she could be with him!). I wanted to cringe every single time that Hope and Jamie were together, as it felt so awkward
Rosanna Threakall
TW for emotional abuse and gaslighting
17loweh089
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is vey good because it was interesting and you didn't expect the plot to go. It was lighthearted and good for teenagers.
chelseaslibrary
Aug 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
I only kept listening to hopefully have the story redeem itself, but this girl has no idea what's happening around her and her family isn't helping. Yeeks.
Molly
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book about self discovery and who you want to be. Couldn't stop reading. Would recommend to girls around the age of 13 but anyone can read it :)
Daniella
Despite my advanced years *cough*, I am a big fan of Holly Smale’s award-winning, best-selling Geek Girl series. You might have heard of it. When it was announced that Holly was back, with a brand new series, I knew I had to read it, whatever it took. Fortunately for me, I didn’t have to beg, steal or borrow to get my hands on an early copy, all I needed to do was visit Netgalley.

In Happy Girl Lucky, we meet Hope, the youngest of the three Valentine sisters. The Valentine family is one of the mo
Allison Peñate
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anne Van Lierop
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt like reading a book without too much drama and reliving that feeling of reading a teen fiction. Eventhough it truly is a book for teenagers, it does have a nice message in it and it only took me 3 nights to finish!
Patricia
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I must admit that it was kind of hard getting into this story. Hope was hard to find likeable and it felt sort of moronic seeing the world through her utter innocent, ignorant eyes.
Slowly, slowly I started to get fond of her and seeing her as she truly was....all the damaged pieces that made a whole...One important character of the story was Roz, the odd one, the understanding wallflower who was a vital piece for Hope's future.
It was engaging and I certainly have big expectations for the next on
Trish Hills
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had been looking forward to reading this book for ages as I absolutely adored Holly's Geek Girl series and I was certainly not disappointed.

Hope Valentine is a fantastic character! She's so sweet, naive, fun-loving and kind. She is a hopeless romantic and obsessed with love and finding The One. She's also very ditzy, which is hilarious!

This book made me laugh, cry and grin from ear to ear. I really, really loved it.
Mirjam
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Clueless moronic MCs who live in their fantasy world and dont listen anything about the real world just ain't my thing. It did all make sense in the end and was salvaged there but I why do I have to read through whole shitty book to just get a good ending. Nah.
Alyce Hunt
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
“I’m not just happy, Eff, I’m Happy Girl Lucky. People have always said that’s what I am, but I’ve never really understood the expression before… because why can’t boys be it too? But now it truly capsules me perfectly.”

Happy Girl Lucky introduces us to the Valentine siblings – Hope, Faith, Max and Mercy – children of Judith Valentine and Michael Rivers, one of the hottest celebrity couples around. But when news breaks that they’re getting divorced, Judith checks herself into a rehab facility an
Becky
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the Geek Girl series and I met Holly Smale at LFCC a couple of years ago. I definitely class myself as a fan, Harriet is the lovable geek that reminded me of me at times and I love Smale's writing which just hooked me in and carried me away.

I got this book when it first came out and managed to get it singed by Holly, but i didn't get round to reading it straight away. In fact it's sat on my shelf for the last year. As we are currently in lock down due to Corona Virus, I have
Marjorie
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
The basic premise of the book is about growing up within an insanely famous family - not just your parents but your grandparents. A whole acting dynasty to live up to and live with (think The Richardsons of the Foxes). Quite a good idea on the face of it, unfortunately the execution doesn't quite match the promise.

The story focuses on the youngest daughter, 15 year old Hope and her frustrations at not being allowed to do anything "fun" with her older siblings, her desperate need for love and her
Laura Buckley
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hope is sweet, optimistic and more than a little naive. She has firm ideas about how the world should work, including (if not especially) how her own future is supposed to pan out. If only her family, and reality, would stop getting in her way.

Happy Girl Lucky is, like its protagonist, light and amusing with unexpected emotional depths. It's obvious from early on that the world Hope sees is not the same as the world that actually exists, and the author does a good job of making that clear to the
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have ever read this blog before then there`s a fair chance you`ll know that the Geek Girl series by this author means basically everything to me- I wrote it a love letter once, and I still didn`t come close to capturing how I feel about it. The point of that little ramble is that I was extremely nervous heading into Happy Girl Lucky, which is the first thing Holly`s published out with Geek Girl, but thankfully I shouldn`t have been. I will admit it took me a little while to get properly i ...more
E.M. Swift-Hook
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Poor Little Rich Girl Rides Again

Hope is the daughter of a movie star and born to fabulous wealth and privilege, but feels like she lives her life in little more than a gilded cage, protected from the world until she turns sixteen. As a result of this she is hopelessly naive and desperate for a real relationship with someone outside her family and full of false ideas of the glamorous life that awaits her. Then she meets James…

What I enjoyed.
The humour. Whilst it is not a laugh a page kind of boo
Jade
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having previously loved reading Holly Smales Geek Girl series I was excited to start The Valentines, it sounded like just the kind of book I enjoy reading. The story follows Hope who is the youngest of the Valentines family. She lives a luxurious life in a mansion with her two sisters whilst her mum, a famous actress, is at rehab and her dad, a film director is living in America. Although Hope has everything she just wants to be loved and after unexpectedly finding a boy she discovers maybe it's ...more
Dawn Woods
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Hope is the youngest of a famous filming family. She loves her parents and has a love hate relationship with some of her siblings. However, her Mother is in rehab, her Father filming in America, leaving the rest of the family in the UK. Hope lives her life as a film script - as that's her reality. She is 15 and has been deliberately kept out of the spotlight in order to protect her. However, Hope sees this as unfair as she is desperate to join in the exciting launch parties as she is convinced s ...more
Beth
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to see that Holly Smale was writing a new series. I adore Geek Girl and they are some of the books I can just re-read over and over again. I was instantly gripped with her new book. It was great to be reading her books again and I just enjoyed every second of this one!

Can I also say this is a fantastic book to pick up on Valentine's Day? Not only is it about finding love but it talks about the love and relationships between families, siblings and friends. It was wonderful to re
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Summer of No Regrets
  • What Magic Is This?
  • Rose, Interrupted
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Rosie Loves Jack
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Death Sets Sail (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #9)
  • Meat Market
  • Oh My Gods
  • Read with Pride (The Paper & Hearts Society, #2)
  • Flirty Dancing (Ladybirds, #1)
  • Dit is hoe het ging
  • Toffee
  • Wonderland
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)
  • Find The Girl
  • As Happy as Here
Holly is the Number One bestselling, multi-award winning author of the GEEK GIRL series.

She fell in love with writing at five years old, when she realised that books didn't grow on trees like apples. A passion for travel, adventure and wearing no shoes has since led her all over the world: she has visited 27 countries, spent two years working as an English teacher in Japan, volunteered in Nepal,

The Valentines (2 books)
  • Far From Perfect (The Valentines, #2)

News & Interviews