Start by marking “Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)” as Want to Read:
Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)

Happy Girl Lucky

(The Valentines #1)

Introducing The Valentines. Fame – It Runs in the Family!

Sisters Hope, Faith and Mercy have everything: fame, success, money and beauty. But what Hope wants most of all is love, and it doesn’t matter how far she has to go to find it.

Except real-life isn't like the movies. Even if you're a Valentine...
Published February 7th 2019 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Happy Girl Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Girl Lucky

Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Happy Girl Lucky - ★★★★★

I am hosing a GIVEAWAY on my instagram page, ending on 22nd February 2019. Enter for a chance to win 5 signed copies with 5 pop sockets!

Happy Girl Lucky is the first book from The Valentines Series. This is a story about a famous family, The Valentines, who have been Hollywood stars for ages. Hope is one of the daughters of the famous couple, but she grows up without all that paparazzi attention and hype. It is a fami
Maddie
I desperately wanted to DNF this book. It just wasn't for me. The style was too middle-grade, the characters all so annoying, Hope was far too selfish for me, and her 'ideal world' just made me so mad. I always knew something would go wrong, and I loved it when Hope realised what that wrong thing was. Serves her right for always thinking about herself. She's just so up herself, and she just really annoyed me. I just didn't like being in her head, constantly directing perfect scenes, orchestratin ...more
Judit
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2018: So I might have *accidentally* pre-ordered this book.

***

Sep 06, 2018: NEW BOOK BY HOLLY SMALE AND WE HAVE A COVER!!! I'M SO EXCITED!
Kirsty Stanley
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I’m a huge fan of Holly’s writing and have been a champion of her Geek Girl series, whose protagonist Harriet was the geekiest of adorable geeks and you couldn’t help but love her.

The Valentines Sisters therefore had big boots to fill and it’s a good thing they can afford the best boots out there.

We start with the story of the youngest sister, Hope.

Fifteen year old Hope has grown up in a famous family - her parents met on the set of a film - but out of the limelight. The Valentines
Kirsty
Jan 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ukya, uk-author
Well that was awful. Main character was incredibly annoying. More like an attention seeking 7 year old than a 15 year old. She was incredibly stupid and self involved to the point where she didn't notice the blindingly obvious stuff happening around her. All the other characters around her (apart from Roz) where all vapid awful people.

I finished it because I constantly hoped it would get better. It didn't.
Mehsi
A book with a promising first chapter... but after that it goes downhill fast. Sadly.

This was one of my OMG need to read NOW books, and so I was delighted that one of my libraries had it in stock and in English even. Yes! A day after I got it I started reading it, but quickly my love for the book fell apart. The first chapter was pretty nice, I loved the second one, but yeah.

The main problem to this would be Hope. Hope who is according to the book 15 going on 16. However there is only one point
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author of the wonderful Geek Girl series is back with a new series about The Valentines Family.

After I got used to Hope Valentines way of thinking that everything is a Hollywood movie and that she daydreams a lot, plus often uses words incorrectly, I whizzed through this book.

All she wants is to be 16 to be allowed to start being an actress like everyone else in her family. She has three older siblings who barely notice her, and parents who aren't really about.

You can't help but feel sorr
Bev
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hope is the youngest in her acting dynasty family and she is being sheltered by them until her 16th birthday in a few months. She is a dreamy, happy girl who is desperate to find someone to love and to love her. She has an internal monologue that turns her life into film scenes and doesn't really relate to the real world. When she meets American Jamie she falls in love almost instantly but is he really the golden boy he seems at first?

In the first few chapters of the book I must admit I found H
Eve beinguniquebooks
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hope is the youngest of the famous Valentine's, at nearly sixteen she isn't allowed in the spotlight yet but can't wait to be allowed as she dreams constantly of film style monologues and meeting the one, Hope is desperate for her future to begin.

A firm believer in star signs she hope's that they will guide her through life and to the one, enter Jamie making Hope the happy go lucky girl she is enter a new level of extreme happiness!

Jamie is a Californian she meets by accident only to discover he
Chloe
Mar 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have never ever written a review on Goodreads before, but this book was so stupid that I had to write one.

First of all, I do not understand how someone can be so stupid and oblivious. I mean really, did Hope seriously not understand that Jamie really didn't want to date her when she turned up in Los Angeles (I can't believe after a week of "dating" she flew to America so that she could be with him!). I wanted to cringe every single time that Hope and Jamie were together, as it felt so awkward
Mirjam
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, abn2019
Clueless moronic MCs who live in their fantasy world and dont listen anything about the real world just ain't my thing. It did all make sense in the beginning and was salvaged there but I why do I have to read through whole shitty book to just get a good ending. Nah.
Rosanna Threakall
TW for emotional abuse and gaslighting
Daniella
Despite my advanced years *cough*, I am a big fan of Holly Smale’s award-winning, best-selling Geek Girl series. You might have heard of it. When it was announced that Holly was back, with a brand new series, I knew I had to read it, whatever it took. Fortunately for me, I didn’t have to beg, steal or borrow to get my hands on an early copy, all I needed to do was visit Netgalley.

In Happy Girl Lucky, we meet Hope, the youngest of the three Valentine sisters. The Valentine family is one of the mo
Patricia
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I must admit that it was kind of hard getting into this story. Hope was hard to find likeable and it felt sort of moronic seeing the world through her utter innocent, ignorant eyes.
Slowly, slowly I started to get fond of her and seeing her as she truly was....all the damaged pieces that made a whole...One important character of the story was Roz, the odd one, the understanding wallflower who was a vital piece for Hope's future.
It was engaging and I certainly have big expectations for the next on
Trish Hills
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had been looking forward to reading this book for ages as I absolutely adored Holly's Geek Girl series and I was certainly not disappointed.

Hope Valentine is a fantastic character! She's so sweet, naive, fun-loving and kind. She is a hopeless romantic and obsessed with love and finding The One. She's also very ditzy, which is hilarious!

This book made me laugh, cry and grin from ear to ear. I really, really loved it.
Alyce Hunt
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
“I’m not just happy, Eff, I’m Happy Girl Lucky. People have always said that’s what I am, but I’ve never really understood the expression before… because why can’t boys be it too? But now it truly capsules me perfectly.”

Happy Girl Lucky introduces us to the Valentine siblings – Hope, Faith, Max and Mercy – children of Judith Valentine and Michael Rivers, one of the hottest celebrity couples around. But when news breaks that they’re getting divorced, Judith checks herself into a rehab facility an
Laura Buckley
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hope is sweet, optimistic and more than a little naive. She has firm ideas about how the world should work, including (if not especially) how her own future is supposed to pan out. If only her family, and reality, would stop getting in her way.

Happy Girl Lucky is, like its protagonist, light and amusing with unexpected emotional depths. It's obvious from early on that the world Hope sees is not the same as the world that actually exists, and the author does a good job of making that clear to the
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have ever read this blog before then there`s a fair chance you`ll know that the Geek Girl series by this author means basically everything to me- I wrote it a love letter once, and I still didn`t come close to capturing how I feel about it. The point of that little ramble is that I was extremely nervous heading into Happy Girl Lucky, which is the first thing Holly`s published out with Geek Girl, but thankfully I shouldn`t have been. I will admit it took me a little while to get properly i ...more
Jade
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having previously loved reading Holly Smales Geek Girl series I was excited to start The Valentines, it sounded like just the kind of book I enjoy reading. The story follows Hope who is the youngest of the Valentines family. She lives a luxurious life in a mansion with her two sisters whilst her mum, a famous actress, is at rehab and her dad, a film director is living in America. Although Hope has everything she just wants to be loved and after unexpectedly finding a boy she discovers maybe it's ...more
Eve Witherington
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Jamie is a Californian she meets by accident only to discover he
Dawn Woods
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Hope is the youngest of a famous filming family. She loves her parents and has a love hate relationship with some of her siblings. However, her Mother is in rehab, her Father filming in America, leaving the rest of the family in the UK. Hope lives her life as a film script - as that's her reality. She is 15 and has been deliberately kept out of the spotlight in order to protect her. However, Hope sees this as unfair as she is desperate to join in the exciting launch parties as she is convinced s ...more
Danielle
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Mehak Asif
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Hilarious new romantic-comedy book for the Instagram generation.

It is the story of Hope, a teenager who is born in famous Hollywood family of Valentines, but isn’t allowed in the spotlight yet. The Valentines have a family rule that she has to be protected from the media until she turns sixteen and for which Hope can’t wait.

Hope is a horoscope devotee, she is naive and oblivious at times. And above all, she is on a quest to find the love of her life. But as much as this book is about romance,
Molly
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
2.75* This book was ok. I really loved Holly Smales other series geek girl and thought I should give this one a go. However it is a 470 page book and I only really enjoyed the last 100 pages.

I found the main character, Hope, annoying and childish seeing as she is 15, she acts like a 10 year old. Constantly making stuff up in her head and so oblivious to everything around her.

Her siblings all had their moments as well. With unnecessary comments to add drama or try and make the book funny.

Howeve
Natty❤Malec
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life isn't like a Hollywood movie just because you're a movie star...

I read the Geek Girl series and really really liked them, so it was inevitable that I'd read Happy Girl Lucky, particularly as Holly Smale visited my school today and we were able to get copies of it three days before the publication date. (Me being the bookworm I am, I read it in a day.)
Happy Girl Lucky is very different in style and feeling to Geek Girl. Harriet and Hope are very different, but Hope's, well, hopeful outlook o
Xonokuuu_xo
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMGGGGGGG! I loved this book.... i absolutely fell in love with Hope and her silly, romantic dream and famous lifestyle....i knew jamie was bad news when i first met him...he was just to good to be true! like it cant just be love at first sight...lmao on a TRAIN.. i really didnt like her big sister thought she was a stuck up b*** she was just so rude and ughhhh! Effie was my faveroute i just found her really cute, she loved Hope for who was was and was always sweet towards her. Rated 5/5 bECAUSE ...more
Dana
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m a huge fan of geek girl and this book was disappointing.
Here me out! I had sky high hopes for this amazing coming of age story. At first I really like it and then as the book went on I started to hate it more and more and almost gave up on it.
Hope is a little immature for a 15 year old but I get that it’s her personality sort of it all makes sense at the end of the book and that’s why I have it three stars. The ending sort of pulls everything together and fixes the book and just sorta chan
Laura Jayne
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I kinda knew what I was getting with this book; having read the first Geek Girl book a few years back but there were still a few surprises in store. Happy Girl Lucky is the first in a new series and focuses on a Kardashian like family always in the limelight.

When I started this book Hope, the main character and youngest Valentine, annoyed the heck out of me yet as the story progresses Hope becomes a much more layered and enjoyable character. There are a few cliches thrown in but there is also a
Karoline
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I did like this book, it was entertaining, smartly written and charming enough. The problem though was that I found the main character really annoying until like the last 100 pages or so and she got better at the end, but not everybody will have the patience to get there. Also there was this logical conundrum about the ages of the siblings that I won't go into, but know that it irritated me a lot.

With that said I still think this book is worth reading. It is wellwritten and also written in a way
Holly is the Number One bestselling, multi-award winning author of the GEEK GIRL series.

She fell in love with writing at five years old, when she realised that books didn't grow on trees like apples. A passion for travel, adventure and wearing no shoes has since led her all over the world: she has visited 27 countries, spent two years working as an English teacher in Japan, volunteered in Nepal,