Start by marking “A Monster Of All Time: The True Story of Danny Rolling, The Gainesville Ripper” as Want to Read:
A Monster Of All Time: The True Story of Danny Rolling, The Gainesville Ripper

A Monster Of All Time: The True Story of Danny Rolling, The Gainesville Ripper

Ambitious, attractive, and full of potential, five young college students prepared for the new semester. They dreamed of beginning careers and starting families. They had a lifetime of experiences in front of them. But death came without warning in the dark of the night.

Brutally ending five promising lives, leaving behind three gruesome crime scenes, the Gainesville Rippe
Published September 4th 2018 by RJ Parker Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Monster Of All Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Monster Of All Time

Cheryl
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was just a little girl when Danny Rolling murdered the five college students. As a fan of true crime stories, I really enjoyed this book. It was just right with the formula. Not bogged down with details but at the same time no little details were lacking either.

I will admit that the murders are very gruesome. It is no wonder that the detectives had nightmares. There was a few times reading this book that I almost put it down for a moment. While, I did not know any of the victims of Danny Roll
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
It's not very often I venture out of my fantasy/paranormal bubble. I usually read to escape from reality, not learn about the horrific nature of what's out there. However, my guilty pleasure is True Crime, if only for the fact it reminds me just how good it is to escape!

This is one of those books. The one where I can't put it down, gripped by morbid fascination to find out what happened to the killer, even as I mourn his victims. I'm from the UK, and so have no real grasp about the death sentenc
Bettye McKee
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wolf among the lambs

In August of 1990, an ex-con drifted into Gainesville, Florida, with a heart filled with anger, hatred, rage, and a desire for revenge against the society that had mistreated him. Gainesville, home of the University of Florida, was teeming with pretty, young girls like a buffet awaiting his selection.

In a matter of days, he had mercilessly and viciously murdered five young college students. The search for the killer led authorities to arrest, persecute and destroy an innoce
Anne Cupero
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this, knowing a fair amount about Danny Rolling, the "Gainesville Ripper." Many of these books have the same basic format, description of the crimes, then backtracking to the perpetrator, and their upbringing, laced with comments from people who knew them, and from families of the victims. And of course, the salacious details of the groupies who want to "meet' and/or make money off of the perpetrator's story. This was no different. I always wish for a little more depth to the stories, rat ...more
Erica Robyn
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Monster Of All Time: The True Story of Danny Rolling is a true crime novel that discussed the horrible actions of a true monster.

Far too often, I’ve found that true crime tales focus on just one element of the case, rather than giving the full picture.

That wasn’t the case here; this novel was wonderfully written!

Full disclosure: I was given a free copy of this book by the author as a participant of the Partners In Crime Book Tour in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my rating
Justin
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
What a gripping, fascinating tale about a horrifying serial killer and his reign of terror! I consider myself to be quite the true aficionado and I'm shocked I never heard about Rolling before.

Now that I have, if I had to describe him in a word: Monster. What he did to these five women (and two men and even one young boy) is simply horrible. I honestly recommend going into this book not knowing anything about his crimes because it will take you through it in a comprehensive manner.

The first th
Robert
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The sad story of a bloodthirsty monster and his victims.

I have read other books about Danny Rolling and his sorry excuses of why he did what he did, but I'm not buying it. Rolling was a master manipulator and sociopath. With his manners and singing he tried to fool everyone, but he was the ultimate .com man, fooling no one. At least this book honored the victims and their families. What damage one man could do! True crime readers should enjoy this book because it is well written and sticks to t
Karen Bullock
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting how throughout the retelling of events in this tragic tale that the killer is never referred to by his name in the beginning of the book; solely laid out as just "the prisoner", sort of a reversal of roles as most that follow true crime know that often the serial killer views his victims as impersonal or objects in which he does not associate them as people .
Was this intentional on author's part so that the killer does not receive as much fame & notoriety? Or is it merely out of
Kellye
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This was actually really interesting. The author isn't on par with Anne Rule or Truman Capote, but this is a fair treatment of this really bizarre story. I attended grad school at UF, and I was really moved by the way the community came together. I also appreciated that the author detailed how a prime suspect who WASN'T the killer was able to get his life back after he was cleared. Oddly enough, it made this a very hopeful story. It was worth my time to read.
Brooke
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Horrific crimes

I knew about the Gainesville Ripper but not all the horrific details of this monster's crimes. His punishment was too long coming and too easy. God rest the souls of his victims amd may God bless the victims' families. Danny Rolling was the epitome of true evil.

The story was carefully written with great respect for those murdered, the investigators, and the family members of the victims.
Julia Coppage
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concise, intelligent and informative

Very well written, engrossing and direct, this is one of the more engaging examples of true crime as it should be. It offers a balanced and inclusive report of the victims, the killer, families and friends, the trials and the aftermath. Never boring or repetitive, it covers all relevant information in a suspenseful format that holds your attention easily. Highly recommended. jscoppage
Colleen Fourie
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
An awful but good read

Definately not a feel good read. This book is extremely disturbing! It takes you out of your safe, secure world into a world where gruesome murders happen- where so- called normal people murder young people who had done nothing to deserve losing their lives. Well written
Jolie Simballa
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A deeply disturbing but in-depth analysis of the Gainsville murders and the people involved. I greatly appreciated the author devoting time and voice to the victims' families especially near the end of the book. A painful but enlightening and horrifyingly fascinating read.
Miranda Haynes
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Evil story, Great book

I bought this book on a bored whim and it blew me away. It was factually and the author could back the claims made in this story. I would suggest this book to anyone, but it's somewhat of a page turner.
erika.
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was always interested in learning more about this as I remember it on news when I was younger and then went to UF, but it was hard to get through with the details of the obvious subject at hand and the fact that it was repetitive and overall not well written.
Judith Sentyz
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
True Evil

This is the first book I have read by Mr. Hunter. This book is very well written and well researched. I remember the case but did not know a lot about it. I will be reading more by this author.
Lisa-Jaine
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sadly J T Hunter's books do not seem to be my style. This is the second one I DNF and I just found the start really good then then it seems to become repetitive and boring.
nicholas thompson
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb writing

A truly amazing piece of work,great detail,not over gruesome,well researched,a great read,a must for any true crime reader,one i will go back to again.
Tricia Burns
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous

I’ve read a lot of true crime and this is one of the better ones. Such a gripping tragic story.
Celia
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for those interested in the full story or fans of true crime.
Prescottl
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating account of a serial killer. The author presented the facts in chronological order, culminating in a accurate portrayal of the killings, the hunt for the killer, and his trial.
MELCHIOR DSOUZA
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book reading

Well documented keeping you grilled to complete the book at a stretch. Author has a knack of writing the episode in a well documented way.
Alex Wills
Dec 22, 2018
Jim Morris
Dec 26, 2018
Keira Enright
Oct 03, 2018
Denise Dempsey
rated it did not like it
Sep 24, 2018
Feb 03, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Rough Trade
  • Bundy: Portrait of a Serial Killer
  • Serial Homicide Volume 1 - Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer & more (Notorious Serial Killers, #1)
  • Serial Killers Rage and Horror: 8 Shocking True Crime Stories of Serial Killers and Killing Sprees (Serial Killers Anthology Book 1)
  • Betrayal In Blue: The Shocking Memoir Of The Scandal That Rocked The NYPD
  • Failure of Justice: A Brutal Murder, An Obsessed Cop, Six Wrongful Convictions
  • Ted Bundy: The Horrific True Story behind America's Most Wicked Serial Killer (Real Crime By Real Killers Book 4)
  • Ice and Bone: Tracking an Alaskan Serial Killer
  • The Rise and Fall of a 'Casino' Mobster: The Tony Spilotro Story Through A Hitman's Eyes
  • Killer Cop: The Deviant Deputy Who Kidnapped, Raped and Killed (True Crime)
  • Seduced by Madness: The True Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • Similar Transactions: A True Story
  • I'm Not Guilty: The Development of the Violent Mind: The Case of Ted Bundy
  • Famous Crimes the World Forgot Vol II: More Vintage True Crimes Rescued from Obscurity
  • The Crimes of Jack The Ripper
  • A Special Kind Of Evil: The Colonial Parkway Serial Killings
  • Obeying Evil: The Mockingbird Hill Massacre Through the Eyes of a Killer (True Crime)
J.T. Hunter is an attorney with over fourteen years of experience practicing law, including criminal law and appeals, and he has significant training in criminal investigation techniques. He is also a college professor in Florida where his teaching interests focus on the intersection of criminal psychology, law, and literature.

JT's bestselling true crime books include:

Devil in The Darkness: True S