Start by marking “Waking the Dragon (Vale of Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Waking the Dragon (Vale of Stars, #1)

Waking the Dragon

(Vale of Stars #1)

The Gladium Province is on the verge of civil unrest as humans and Morgons, the dragon-hybrid race, clash once more. But amid disorder can also arise passion.

When the bodies of three human women are discovered in Morgon territory—with the DNA of several Morgon men on the victims—it’s just a matter of time before civil unrest hits the Province. But for ambitious reporter
Published October 22nd 2018 (first published June 9th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Waking the Dragon, please sign up.
Juliette Cross Hey, Vivi. To be honest, I started Windburn with Lorian's POV and it just didn't work. Knowing what was in his head sort of ruined the mystique of Lor…moreHey, Vivi. To be honest, I started Windburn with Lorian's POV and it just didn't work. Knowing what was in his head sort of ruined the mystique of Lorian in my opinion as well as a beta reader who gave me some feedback early on. When I wrote WTD, I kind of felt the same, wanting the reader to NOT know what was rattling around in Kol's head. For some heroes, I think they work better when we let our own imaginations fill in the blanks of how he's looking at her, treating her, etc. (aka, Barrons in the Fever series). I also didn't want the reader to know that soulfire was burning inside of Kol from the second he laid eyes on her.

Now, I'll let you in on a little secret though. I'm currently writing DRAGON IN THE BLOOD, and we definitely get both Valla and Conn's POV. And I'm loving getting inside Conn's head. Hoping readers will enjoy it, too. Thanks for the question! :)(less)
Juliette Cross Haha! Well, I definitely appreciate the excitement, Dina. This book, WTD, will be the next release set in the Morgon world. I'm thrilled you're lookin…moreHaha! Well, I definitely appreciate the excitement, Dina. This book, WTD, will be the next release set in the Morgon world. I'm thrilled you're looking forward to the series. The release date is June, so I hope Kensington will post to NetGalley late April/early May. Cheers! :)(less)

Start your review of Waking the Dragon (Vale of Stars, #1)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo 10398026_811526992245680_3943611047676528068_n_zpsetkyitpo.jpg

Waking the Dragon is book one is the Vale of Stars series by Juliette Cross. This book is best read after you read the Nightwing novellas. Have you ever read a book and when you read that last word of that last page, you just sit there staring at the page you just finished in wonder? This book was that amazing. To say it was intense is an understatement. The love story part of it was beautiful. The sexy scenes were hot. And the action was intense and gripping. I loved it all.

ringed full moon with a midnight blue sky - Google Search

Moira Cade is
Kat Valentine
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DRAGON'S ARE HOT !!
What a fabulous read!!! I Read this in one sitting!!! Juliette cross is a marvelous storyteller her world of dragons are so richly detailed that I could picture each character in my mind And Kol moonring is the most delicious dragon. Moira is a reporter for her college paper the Herald and when the murder of three women killed by what looks to be cult killings, miora goes on the hunt to find what the news is calling the devlin butcher's when she finds out the dna collected is
Nicola
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
The first full length book in the Vale of Stars series is another top-notch addition bringing us baby of the Cade family and budding journalist, Moira and the Captain of the Morgan Guard, Kol Moonring.

Juliette Cross wastes no time in lifting us up and dropping us right into the thick of the story as Moira makes it her mission to discover who is behind the brutal deaths of several young women in Gladium. And it’s this which sees her placed under Kol’s charge as he’s tasked with her protection: n
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Not Great, TBH, But Alright*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Re-read:
The only reason I'm re-read this one because I remember faintly that there was a man and a female that was not the main characters that interested me quite a bit. Apparently the caught my attention enough that over three years later, I'm going back in (to an insta-love story) to find them, and that is saying something. I just need to know who they were again and if the author has written anything regarding them after this. However it turned o
Robin (Bridge Four)
☪☪☪3.5 Stars☪☪☪

After reading the Novellas Soulfire and Windburn I was totally ready to dive into this world of dragon human hybrids again and try the first full length Novel in the Vale Series. While this is the first novel in the Vale series I do recommend reading at least one of the novella’s first to get a grasp on the world and some of its workings. I believe you will easily catch on if you don’t read the novellas but since many of the characters carry over from there it will be more enjoyab
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
From the moment I tapped the icon on for Waking the Dragon in my Kindle app ‘til the very end I was completely captivated. There’s a gristly murder case with dead girls popping up everywhere and an impressively strong reporter with the drive and determination to figure out what the local enforcement has not. That would be Moira Cade. She has connections in high places and a foot in both the human and Morgon territories.

Kol Moonring is relegated the lovely task of keeping Moira safe. Captain of
Naomi 🐨
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Waking the Dragon - what a terrific first book!!!!!! I must admit that I love everything Juliette Cross writes. Rich and vivid descriptions, endearing characters and hot Morgon dragon men - what's not to love! Cannot wait for the next one ❤️❤️❤️
Carvanz
Oh my gosh! I thought I was through with the Nightwing series but this one is a follow-up and I’m even more in love with these Morgon men.

Moira is on the hunt for information regarding a killer unlike any ever seen before. When her efforts link her with Kol, a human/dragon hybrid, she is frustrated and finds him absolutely infuriating. And you know, I love when that happens. Kol is so totally dominate and she’s so totally independent but together they were perfection.

We don’t get Kol’s point of
Maya
3,5 STARS

Well...I had high hopes for this one, since I've read the reviews and many stated how great this story and the characters are. And for the most part, it's not a bad story, it's just that I wanted more than what I got. I didn't read any other books by this author and that's why I'm not sure if this is a standalone book or a spin off series from previous books. It felt like the other couples in this book had their own stories and I wondered what they were. For me to fully enjoy a book I n
Dianne
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, two species can’t seem to play well together all of the time and the fires of civil unrest are being fueled by the murders of three human women, found in Morgon territory, covered with Morgon DNA. Enter Juliette Cross’ world where dragon hybrids and humans balance precariously on the precipice of battle in WAKING THE DRAGON and watch one feisty, headstrong reporter risk life and limb to uncover the truth story behind these gruesome murders all while fighting off her attraction to the ...more
Stacie
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 "Kittycat" Stars!

I'm enjoying this series so much! It's fascinating. This one may be the best yet. On to the next one very soon. Happy reading!
Hana ♡
3.5 Stars!

So I felt like I was missing certain things while reading this and realized this is a spin-off series to the Nightwing Series which I should have read first... but oh well. I still got the gist of everything but I was just slightly out of order.

Moira is the editor for her University's paper and is a journalism major. She has a lead on a big murder case involving abducted girls and begins to investigate. She gets assigned protection by her brother-in-laws security firm as the case beco
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Nov. 2018: Waking the Dragon has been re-released and I read it. I loved it all over again. I was on the edge of my set with the mystery and danger Jessen is in. It was wonderful and the little tide bit (I think she added something from the 1st edition) was great! Love the Morgan's!

~ 5 Waking the Dragon Stars ~

Waking the Dragon is book one in the Vale of Stars series by Juliette Cross and is best read after you read the Nightwing novellas. It gives us a different perspective on the Morgon ra
Sylvia
So many thoughts brewing in my head and so many emotions flowing through my soul, as I sit here wondering how I can write a review to mirror how exceptional and magnificent Waking the Dragon is.

Already enthralled with this fantastical world created by the brilliant Juliette Cross, thanks to her Nightwing Series, I dove right back in, peering and watching the story unfold around these dominant and sensual Morgans, the fierce dragon-hybrid race.

Relationships between humans and the Morgans are on
Beth
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waking the Dragon should really come with a warning, INTENSE SCENES MIGHT CAUSE EXCESSIVE NAIL BITTING. Let’s just say the first installment in Juliette Cross’s Vale of Stars series was intense! Action Intense, sexually intense, vividly intense.

Moira is a reporter fighting to make it on her own, when she comes across ritual murders on human women, with proof they were killed by Morgon men, dragon shifters.

Asking her brother-in-law, a Morgon male, for assistance, lands Moira with a Kol, the capta
The world building was decent, but I have a feeling I’m missing something having not read the original series. As it is, I find the concept of Morgons, or human-dragon hybrids who have wings, a bit silly. Add to that the h who’s trying too hard to be an adult and a not-quite-developed romance and I was underwhelmed. The premise was interesting but the execution was lacking.

I do appreciate that this is a safe story with no OP drama. There was literally nothing mentioned about the H’s past, and I’
Jonel
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Cross really kicked it up a notch with this one! It’s intense on so many different levels and in many different ways. Cross’ writing has an eerie feel to it at times, adding to the suspense of the story, while at the same time bringing this world to life in a vividly real manner. This is one author who definitely knows how to use sex and intimacy to build a relationship between her characters, rather than simply as an interlude in the story. And it’s hot as Hades when she does it!

Cross lays out
Katharine
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

This is my most favorite so far! Kol was everything you want in a alpha dragon! Blushing; )... Juliette Cross is so amazing she pulls you into her world and it's one amazing ride after another in all her books!!!! Loved! 10 stars if I could it's that freaking great! A must read♡♡

Dawn
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly don't know what to say!
Moria... Kol...
I think this is my favorite Morgon story so far.

I am sad because there is only one more book after this one!

Thank you Juliette for again making me fall in love with your books!!
Mary Kirkland
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Morgon's and the humans live in relative peace in the Gladium Province until human women turn up dead. Morgon's are a dragon-human hybrid race and not everyone likes them. So of course they could be blamed for the women turning up dead and that's bad, really bad.

Moira works as a reporter for a paper and wants to find out who's behind the murders. She's hoping writing this story will lead her to a job with the paper she really wants a job with. So she and Kol end up working together to try a
Christina
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars - 3 Flames

I FINALLY had a little extra time to pick up a book from an author I've grown to love. Ever since this was released last year, it's been calling my name, begging to be read. I'm soooooo happy I was able to finally indulge, but dang it, now I've got to come up with more free time because I'm hooked on yet another series by this amazing author!!!

Let me just start this review off by mentioning that this is probably one of the hottest anticipation, pure animalistic hunger, sexual
Jessica Frances
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I freaking LOVED this book! Wow, totally blown away. I loved the novellas in the Nightwing series (definitely recommend reading those!) and was super excited that there was going to be full length novels attached to that world. This just felt perfect to me. I loved the mystery, the danger, the world which was built up even more in this story and the chemistry between Kol and Moira was incredible. You could immediately feel it between them but there was no rush or any feelings that this was insta ...more
Ashleigh
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wrecked. This book was incredible. Let me preface this review by saying that I have not read any of the other novels about the Morgon men... but now I want to.

I love books with strong female leads and even stronger alpha men. This book does not disappoint in that arena. Moria is used to being independent.. borderline reckless and all in the name of journalism. Kol is as dominant as they come and is used to getting his way with everyone. They couldn't have butt heads any harder if they tried. Bu
Kelly
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waking the Dragon is a full length novel spin off of Juliette Cross's Nightwing series. It followed Kol Moonring (captain of the Morgan Guard) and Moria Cade (sister to the heroine in the first Nightwing book - Jessen). It picks up 5 years later. Moria is now grown and is an inspiring Journalist. Young woman are being found killed with DNA of Morgan men. Moria wants to further her career by writing this story. Kol is also investigating this crime and is assigned as her protector.

The story is ag
Mara
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr
Cute with some potential, but not a gripping story plot notwithstanding. I enjoyed it but I am not keen to go on reading this series.
Somia
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was happily surprised by this book, I found myself getting quite lost in the story and characters – loosing track of time as I read.

This first full-length book in the series focuses on delicious and dominant dragon Kol Moonring and determined human reporter Moira. The story is well paced, as the author wastes no time in introducing us to Moira as she investigates who is behind the vicious murders of several young human women in Gladium (one of the few places where Dragons (aka Morgans) and hu
Carra
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Right off the bat I’m going to tell you—if you haven’t yet started reading any of Juliette Cross’ books set in the Morgon world, you need to immediately go one-click all of them. Yes, I’m serious…that’s how good these stories are. And even though you can read Waking the Dragon without reading the other books first, I would highly recommend reading Soulfire and Windburn beforehand as they will give you a great introduction and backstory which will enrich your reading experience.

The author is quit
Eva Millien
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiercely independent Moira Cade bristles at Captain Kol Moonring’s dominance but when an evil threatens all of humanity, Morgonkind and her very soul, she’ll have to pray that their newfound bond will survive in this sensational paranormal romance.

Moira’s determined to solve the murders of the three young woman even if that means setting herself up as bait and the reader can’t help but get drawn into the sexy and sizzling romance as Kol is sent in as her protection and they fight their growing p
Iris (InstagramREADS)
Amazing. Now I have to read backwards. NEED to know how the other couples got to know eacheachother!

PC_logo_red_black_small

Paranormal Cravings Book Reviews & FREE Book reviews E-Magazine

www.paranormalcravings.com

twitter facebook youtube

Sissy's Romance Book Review
Waking the Dragon by Juliette Cross is book One in the Vale of Stars series. This is the story of Moira Cade and Kol Moonring.
Moira is a report for the Herald doing a undercover story of the death that has been happening which has lead her to look in to the dark underworld of Morgon society. When her brother-in-law comes to offer Kol, a Captain of the Morgon Guard to be her body guard...sparks and tempers start to fly.
Moira is a strong determine women that does keep butting heads with the domin
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Official cover for WAKING THE DRAGON 3 13 Jan 19, 2015 12:26PM

• A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Seeking the Fae (Daughter of Light #1)
  • Dark Prince (Blueblood Vampires #1)
  • Royally Charmed (Royal Lions Duology, #1)
  • A Mate to Treasure (Dragons of Mount Aterna, #1)
  • The Demigod Complex (Brimstone Inc., #1)
  • Heart of Fire (Legends of the Storm, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #1)
  • Marvels and Misfits (Trixie Towers, #1)
  • Daughter of Death (Dark Provenance)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • The Boss (Fire's Edge, #1)
  • Lord of Fire (The Dragon Demigods, #1)
  • Fury Unleashed (Forgotten Brotherhood, #1)
  • Focused
  • Dragan (Stone Warriors, #4)
  • Son of Chaos (Dark Provenance #2)
  • The Power of Hades (The Hades Trials, #1)
JULIETTE is a multi-published author of paranormal and fantasy romance & the co-host of the podcast, Smart Women Read Romance. She is represented by Rachel Brooks at BookEnds Literary Agency. She is a native of Louisiana, living in the heart of Cajun land with her husband, four kids, black lab named Kona, and kitty, Betty. When she isn’t working on her next project, she enjoys binge-watching her f ...more

Vale of Stars (3 books)
  • Dragon in the Blood (Vale of Stars, #2)
  • Dragon Fire (Vale of Stars, #3)