Start by marking “Evernight” as Want to Read:
Evernight

Evernight

Thousands of years ago, the Evernight came to the Silver Kingdom and turned everything to darkness and chaos. It was only defeated thanks to the skill and bravery of the Witches. But now the Evernight is about to return, released by the evil Mrs Hester, and the only spell that might stop it is lost, deep below the great city of King’s Haven.

Then orphan Larabelle Fox stumbl
Published February 6th 2020 by Andersen Press

To ask other readers questions about Evernight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evernight

Start your review of Evernight
Whispering Stories
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Evernight is the first book in an exciting new middle-grade series featuring dark magic and witches.

Orphan Larabelle Fox, Lara, is a Tosher in the Silver Kingdom, which means she treasure hunts in the sewers. It’s a dangerous job but someone has to do it. One day whilst out hunting she comes across a wooden box. The box is linked to the Doomsday Spell and evil beings including Shadow Jack and Mrs. Hester are looking for it.

Lara soon finds herself the tar
Belles Middle Grade Library
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I think it’s now fair to say this author is now a fav. He is one I will definitely always be on the lookout for more from. This book was AMAZING!! His books just get better & better. This was pretty dark at times, so I would say upper MG(just in my opinion). But I loved that. I love my darker MGs. There was so much mystery surrounding certain aspects of the story. There was adventure, tons of suspense, magic, & heaps of danger! Shadow Jack TERRIFIES me, I despised him, & at the same time I h ...more
Bex
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a really strong middle-grade book with a wealth of world-building, unique characters and vibrancy throughout. Immediately readers are introduced to a large cast of characters, each developed well and with stand-out personalities. Despite this, I found it progressively more difficult to feel invested in the plot, or the characters in truth, frequently finding myself drifting from the story.

Lara spends her days searching the underground of the city for treasure; people like Lara are terme
Scott Evans | The Reader Teacher
A masterclass in magic; spellbinding from the first sentence. A thrilling adventure in a darkly enchanting, richly-textured, witchly-warring world fraught with unexpected danger, shadowless strangers & lost magic waiting to be found. Preorder!
Thewife Ofbrian
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hooked from the first line. "Tbere was a man made of midnight, and his name was Shadow Jack '.
Written for 10 yo + and I read an uncorrected proof but it was magical
Christina Reid
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I did a little squeal when this appeared in my book post - thank you very much Andersen Press! I loved both The Nowhere Emporium and The Elsewhere Emporium so was extremely excited to read this.
From the very first few lines, it is clear that this is a much darker book than either of the author's previous two and I really loved it. Reading with my teacher hat on though, I would definitely recommend this for Year 5 and upwards (age 9+) when the author's previous books would be perfectly suitable a
Anne
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a darkly magical adventure with a brave and inspiring heroine at its heart. From the very first lines the reader knows that this is going to be a story full of danger, mystery and thrilling moments. An utterly gripping book.

The first in a new fantasy trilogy by this award winning author tells the story of Lara, an orphan who finds a mysterious box in the sewers beneath King’s Haven while scavenging for treasure. She quickly finds herself in the middle of a dangerous conflict in which sh
Lilyfae
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH wow, Evernight is awesome.
If you could imagine an epic fantasy taken down to Middle Grade with the scale, scope and intensity of the world of A Game of Thrones you would be halfway to exploring just how magnificent this book is because then we throw spellcraft, Witches and souls, Djinni’s, Wild West style revolver wands and an army of possessed warriors to reckon with the White Walkers. It’s epic in both adjective and that grand tradition of the word.
I'm signed sealed delivered a HUGE fan.
Steph
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored everything about this: from Lara’s city, her friends, the dastardly evil beings and the sheer scope of the magic. I wouldn’t survive in the Evernight but I would love to be by Lara’s side. This book encapsulates what it is to write a wonderful adventure with magic, friendship and a bunch of characters you really love. There’s good ones, bad ones and just plain evil ones. Bloody bravo Ross Mackenzie!
Strawberry
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This is an interesting tale with a well thought out plot, but for some reason I struggled to connect with the characters and as a result I just couldn’t enjoy the story as much as I had wanted to. ‘Lara’ is a tosher, someone who spends her days searching beneath the city, in the sewers for hidden treasures that wash up there. But recently strange things are starting to happen in the Silver Kingdom where she lives, a strange dark magic is about to be released. And someone very dangerous is lurkin ...more
Viola Lebouton
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Jemily Hugh
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Strangely, it’s actually quite rare to find a children’s book that’s fully fantasy. Usually they feature kids from The Real World who find themselves in a fantasy setting and have to save the world. There are exceptions to this rule, but generally full fantasy is the work of teen books and above.

Evernight is a fantastic example of what can be done in this genre for children. The world building is spot on, the characters are fleshed out. The magic system is interesting, the wands they use are al
Amanda
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness this book is just so good!! I could not read it fast enough, but I didn’t ever want to finish it. I loved the world that Lara and her friends live in. It sounds a bit like London in Victorian times. It does help if you know what towhees and coves are, luckily I do. I love fantasy stories and this one was so original. I really liked the idea of the wands and potions that were in the book. Instead of just a fancy stick that you ‘swish and flick’, the wands in Evernight have a barrel ...more
Josh
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having recently read Deeplight and Orphans of the Tide, I seem to be drawn to the genre of orphans and magic lately. Like the two aforementioned books, Evernight does not disappoint as a magical adventure about witches, djinnis and a terrifying zombie like evil.
Our hero is Larabelle Fox a ‘tosher’ who spends her days scouring the sewers for lost treasures to sell to make ends meet. Lara’s journey will lead her to find out who she really is and what happened to her mother. When Mrs Hester unleas
Katie
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl called Lara, a 'tosher' who works underground in the sewers collecting precious things she finds and selling them to make a living. One day she finds a mysterious box in the sewers which throws her into a world full of magic and so the story opens up.
The book is full of white emotionless witches and Hag's (witches with souls) and lots of dark sinister baddies as you would expect.
It kept me on my toes to the end and was full of imagination and a storyline that I have not
Ariana
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
A really enjoyable read, it’s now got me itching to read more by Ross Mackenzie and hoping for a sequel for Evernight. The language itself is full of magic, and it is constantly keeping the plot moving, and all the characters are brilliant. The first chapter reminded me a lot of the start of Neil Gaiman’s Graveyard Book, which I’m thinking might be intentional. The story itself has some wonderful themes, which seem to be popular at the moment, as Evernight also reminded me of Orphans of the Tide ...more
watermelonreads
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Quite a dark book in some places. I thought it progressed quite nicely until it reached the crucial point. Things seemed to be at a standstill. I was quite perplexed because there wasn’t a sense of urgency in the characters to get the issue over with. The pages leading up to the final chapter were sadly anticlimactic too.

The array of POVs we get from the different characters was a winner! Their motivates, their personality, it gave them so much depth.

Shadow Jack. Oh boy. If this was a YA or adu
Insert Name Here
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Lara earns her way as a tosher in the sewers, keeping herself to herself. But big things are happening in her world, big spells are on the rise, and she's about to get caught up in all of it...
This new fantasy drew me in straight away. It's very original, and written in just the right way; the backstoy is given at just the right rate, not so mch that it feels like an info dump nor so little that we don't know what's going on. The characters are well written, and I'll look forward to reading more
Hannah
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I just did not click with this book at all. I felt like it was a really ambitious ideal with an extremely high concept world building project that just fell so short. I just felt bored and disconnected from the story most of the time and built no love for any of the character. I think the development felt rushed and the characters felt completely devoid of humour/ humanity.

However, it was very well written and high order. It's probably worth a read for greater depth children looking for strong d
Kathleen Dixon
I really liked the premise of this story - warring witches, an evil controlling the country, kids who trawl the sewers for coins and treasure, an ancient darkness being reawoken, a vampirish djinn - and I liked the key characters, Lara and Double Eight. Where it fell down for me was in the dialogue. Also, Lara and Double Eight are kids, thus one would expect this to be aimed at ages 8 to 12, but there are some horror scenes that I wouldn't recommend for kids that age. ...more
Liz
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read!

I know this is a kids book, but, I’m a big kid at heart! I utterly adored this book. Such an exciting story, that I could imagine it on the big screen, or at least a tv dramatisation. Ross writes with such wonderful descriptions, that it is so easy to become absorbed and fully immersed in both characters and surroundings. I very much look forward to his next book!
Victoria Alyesa
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I will make this short and sweet. It was ok and if you are a fan of the book 'Haven', the writing style is very simular and the slightly more gritty and dark world is one for you.
For me though.....the world and story itself did not grip me and was alot darker and depressing than I would normally class a fantasy middle grde book as; thought the writing layout and style was definitely directed at that age group. Just not the book for me.
Karen Mortlock
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Ross’s descriptions. The magical world ruled by Mrs Hester was interesting and horrifying. The characters of Lara, Joe and Double Eight were well developed and the union they form is surely the basis of the next story. The strong female characters throughout the book are engaging and control the plot well. Ultimately a story of good and evil - can’t wait for the next instalment.
Fiona
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author and I was completely drawn into the magical fantasy world he has created. I loved the three children, Lara, Joe and Double Eight and was rooting for them from the start. I even liked Shadow Jack to be honest.
I'm hope that this won't be the last we hear of Lara and her friends.
A fast moving, exciting adventure for older children.
Princess
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gripping, exciting and adventurous. This story is about a girl called Lara who is trying to find out where she belongs. When the sky darkens and Shadow Jack returns, Lara knows that something is wrong. The Evernight has been set free and it’s up to her or the darkness will envelop everything. I would rate this book five stars and recommend it to children aged 9-12.
Annika
Publisher says this is for kids 11 and older, but please don't give this to an 11-year old. Too much darkness, deaths and brutality for that. I'd say the kid must be at least 13, maybe even older.
The MCs are 13 but many chapters are told from the point of adults and the story could be very well written for grown-ups.
Lucy Baker
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved this. I read The Nowhere Emporium last year snd loved that so was delighted to stumble across this one while looking for books to keep me busy in lockdown!
This is a story full of magic and excitement and a great read. Happy to find out that is the first of a series!
The Book Sheelf
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A little on the darker side for a middle grade read but nonetheless full of all the daring, adventure and friendship that makes the genre such a joy.

Highly recommend but probably more so for the higher end of the 9-12 age bracket.
Alex Tuijnman
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Books are magic. Not the sort that needs a wand or a cauldron. A different type of magic. It's in the pages, the words. A good story burrows its way inside you, becomes part of you. It changes who you are. "

- simply the most moving quote from the book
Nella
Aug 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, fantasy
This is a pretty basic fantasy story. Nothing really bad about it but nothing really jumped out for me. The villain's creepy and shadow jack's interesting. The other characters are a bit boring. The plot was sufficiently good but still nothing remarkable. ...more

• Orphans of the Tide (Orphans of the Tide #1)
  • Wonderscape
  • Darkwhispers
  • The Highland Falcon Thief (Adventures on Trains, #1)
  • Crater Lake
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Vanishing Trick
  • Orion Lost
  • Where The World Turns Wild
  • WildSpark
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (Strangeworlds Travel Agency #1)
  • The Wild Way Home
  • The House of One Hundred Clocks
  • The Valley of Lost Secrets
  • A Kind of Spark
  • Kidnap on the California Comet (Adventures on Trains #2)
  • The Ship of Shadows (The Ship of Shadows, #1)
  • Nevertell