Start by marking “Whatever It Takes” as Want to Read:
Whatever It Takes

Whatever It Takes

Sienna has no memory of her late mother, yet every significant day of her life—birthdays, the first day of high school, graduation—has been marked by a letter written during her last weeks of life. Sienna knows her father feels grateful to be able to offer up these connections to the loving, talented woman his daughter never got a chance to know. Yet for Sienna herself, th ...more
Published May 28th 2019 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Whatever It Takes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever It Takes

Mara
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sienna is going through a tough period of her life--she and her husband Tyson are separated by a continent and an ocean. She's in Wyoming and Tyson's working in London. Their marriage hit a rocky patch after they'd spent 3 years and $30,000 trying to conceive. Right about the time they decided to take a break from the fertility treatments her dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer which is how Sienna ended up in Wyoming. Now on top of all that Sienna has discovered a lump in her right breast. Sh ...more
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ

2.5 Stars

I wanted to love this book, but it was just okay for me. I appreciated the story and it was an easy read and certainly wasn't the worst book I read. I found it hard to remain engaged with it, thus it took me several days to read it from beginning to end. I was disappointed in the characters. While they were written very well, they were diminished in their representation.

While the characters were well written, no one particular one stood out, even out of the main characters. There seemed
Katie W
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
Facing a serious health crisis, Sienna decides to ask questions about her mother, who died when she was only two years old, but discovers startling inconsistencies that lead her to dig deeper, finding a complex web of lies.

Marriage is challenging, but when combined with infertility, an overseas job, possible cancer, and other stresses, the breaking point for all of it can be achieved without much effort. My heart went out to Sienna, who tries to be strong and face everything pressing in on her a
Hristina
Whatever It Takes has an intriguing premise behind it. But I failed to connect to the main character and found much of her actions and thoughts frustrating. I finished it cause I wanted to find out the mom's story, but getting there wasn't a journey I enjoyed.
There were some parts I can't be mad at, but overall this book wasn't for me.

*Copy received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
*Rating: 2/5 stars
Carmen
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I received a copy from Kensington Books through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

At 25-years-old, Sienna has found herself in the slump of all slumps. She was unable to conceive, her marriage is failing, and she’s been living with her dad for the last year. Just to top things off, she’s now facing a breast cancer diagnosis. Sienna is not ready to share her cancer scare with anyone, but she does want to find out more about her mom, who died from breast cancer when she was kid… or did sh
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This book wasn't what I'd expected it to be and I freely admit I didn't read the blurb because this author (also known as Josi Kilpack) is an auto yes for me. That's why this whole book came as a surprise. But honestly, I like it that way with the books from authors I have read for so long and know I enjoy.

This story was full of trouble and difficult things. It was hard to find the light, the positive, and the hope to hold on to. As a reader, I don't mind hard things but I am always looking for
Christine (Purplemanatees)
Title: Whatever it Takes
Author: Jessica Park
Pages: 352
Genre: Adult Fiction, Slice of Life
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

This is an Advanced Readers Copy. That means that this is not the final version of the book therefore some facts and quotes are subject to change in the published book. I snagged an arc of this book from Netgalley.

This novel follow Sienna Chadwick, a 25 year old who has just been told she might have cancer. Her whole life falls apart as she remembers that her mom also had breast cance
Lacey
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Initially, I was afraid to read this book. The first chapter is all about one of my greatest fears, doctors offices and receiving a devastating health diagnosis. However, after reading the plot of the story, I was intrigued and decided to read it anyway. I am so glad I did. It was not at all what I expected it to be. I expected a devastating story about a person who is going through cancer, and how awful that must be. (which is why I was hesitant to read it in the first place). While the book is ...more
Kathleen Gray
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sienna's health crisis- breast cancer at age 25- propels her to look further into her mother, who she has always believed died of the same disease at a similarly young age. Her husband, Tyson, from whom she is geographically estranged (he's in London and she's helping her father with his ranch), thinks there's more to the story of her mother. Her quest for the truth tears at her assumptions. This is well written but it's got a mix of themes going. Thanks to net galley for the ARC.
Sue Fernandez
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for an ARC of this novel. I loved the cover and loved the book. I felt the fear we all might when we have a health scare, think we know our history and find out that might not be the case. Girls have complicated relationships with their moms, but when you lose them young, you have to rely on what they might have left behind, and what others tell you. This story has well developed characters and the plot was intriguing.
Clarissa Kae
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She tackles dysfunctional secrets in a complex family dynamic. It's not angry or jaded but clear, and kind. We need more books that delicately portray the human side of loving.
Ashley *Booksbrewsandbarks*
This book had the opportunity to be really emotional and heartbreaking but way too much happened to really coerce a clear emotion from the reader.

When the book begins, one would think the story would be based on a young woman reconnecting with the memories of her mother who passed from breast cancer, which she is fearing she herself has. This would have been a beautiful plot if the author had truly committed to it. Instead, the story is forced into a twisty mystery that loses sight of the initia
Kayleigh Mathews
May 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF'd I could not click with this book at all. I recieved this from Netgalley in exchange for review but I just couldn't get into it and there is so many other books I would like to read.
Andrea Phelps
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good! I loved the author's style and I was immediately drawn into the story. It was an emotional story that completely surprised me at the end. I look forward to reading more from Jessica Pack in the future.
Tina Wilson
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for a copy of “Whatever it Takes” by Jessica Pack.
How can you reconcile your life when it turns out to be untrue?
Sienna’s story is one of grief, sorrow and layered with lies she believed her entire life. This story is full of raw emotion. Sienna grew up without a mother and it seems the storybook love story her father told her isn’t true. Secrets, even with the best intentions of protecting the ones we love can tear us apart..
Donna Hines
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Sienna has no memory of her mother yet her mother's voice lives on through letters she's written for every milestone.
Faced with the pain she's rather not endure Sienna now has her own medical battle as she's been recently diagnosed with cancer.
What if there's a deeper connection?
What if her father has a hidden agenda and has lied to cover up something more tragic?
What if there's nobody you can trust?
The toxic family at its finest.
Thank you to Jessica, the publisher, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle
Ariell
Thanks so much for the ARC Jessica Pack! You always do a great job of weaving a story and delving into challenging topics. Although this was a heavier read for me, I loved how this Sienna gains a whole new perspective through her trials.
Cathy
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really touched me. I loved the way it made me think. There was so many great things about it. I do want to make sure you know that this one is not squeaky clean. It’d probably be rated PG-13 pretty much for thematic elements. There are a few words, but nothing terrible.

I loved Sienna. For me, she was a character who I was able to relate to. She seems to be down to earth. But she keeps too much to herself. She’s home in Wyoming staying with her dad on the ranch she grew up on. And she’s
Janice Lombardo
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sienna and her husband of 5 years have lived apart for the past 6 months. He is working in London - she is helping her father at his ranch in Wyoming.

Sienna finds out that she has breast cancer. She is only 25, but had been told that her mother died from breast cancer at 23. Regardless, Sienna puts off a biopsy and then puts off her next visits. Eventually she tells her husband and he flies in from London to be there for her operation - a lumpectomy. I suppose the fact that she waited too long
Becki
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the very first page, this book puts you in the heart of the story with Sienna at a doctor appointment because she's found a lump in her breast. She's given the diagnosis of breast cancer - the same thing that took her mother when Sienna was a baby. The timing of the diagnosis and the necessary surgery to remove the cancer is bad because her father is also battling cancer and together they manage a ranch.

Sienna decides not to tell her father, Mark, about her cancer but needs to learn more a
Julie Carpenter
First off I have to say that this book won't be for everyone. Secondly, once I started reading it, I couldn't set it down. I haven't stayed up reading all night in a long time. But I did that with this book. It was an emotional roller coaster for me. I had a couple times where I had some slow tears coming out and other times when I ugly cried. I laughed a couple different times and I sighed a couple times.

This book is definitely women's fiction. If you're looking for a sweet romance, a happy an
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Whatever It Takes by Jessica Pack is a recommended story about relationships, a health crisis, lies, and seeking answers.

Sienna Chadwick, 25, is estranged from her husband, Tyson, and living on the family ranch with her father, Mark, when she finds a lump in her breast and is facing a cancer diagnosis. She refuses to tell anyone about it. She does question her father about her mother's cancer. Sienna has always been told that her mother died from breast cancer when she was a toddler. Her father,
Serena
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I got this book via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

It wouldn't be as bad as it was if every character hadn't been as stupid as they were.

The main character, Sienna, has breast cancer. She doesn't tell her family or loved ones for a long time, then proceeds to skip treatment for weeks and every time someone calls her out on it she gets really defensive and starts pulling weak excuses out of her ass. Sweetie I'm so sorry you aren't ready to tell your family and friends you have cancer b
Kathi Rosner-Gross
Facing a crisis is tough, but facing one when you have questions about who you are, about your marriage, and about your future is just about the end all for Sienna. She has already lost her mother at an early age, been through IVF, separated from her husband for business, taking care of her father after his illness, now she has to face a medical crisis and doesn't want to tell anyone. She must look to her past for answers and finds out some things people never wanted her to know.
Great character
Tessa
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jessica Pack (aka Josi Kilpack) delivers another amazing novel! Sienna's story kept me guessing and guessing up until the very end. Not knowing what happened with her life was driving me crazy, let alone how it would make a character like Sienna feel. Pack delivers a poignant message about the love a parent has for a child and what a parent will do for their child. She also highlights on the mistakes that love sometimes causes us to make. Overall, this was another brilliant novel by Jessica Pack ...more
Natalie
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Whatever it Takes by Jessica Pack kept me on my toes. I was surprised about how this book ended. This book would be a great book club read because it has many topics to discuss. I am not sure how I feel about the ending. I think this book brings up good ethical questions and makes us think about how we would respond to life situations. This is an easy read. I would recommend this book if you like mystery/suspense type reads. I was given this book for free for a honest review.
Mindy
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one powerful story. I absolutely loved it. Without giving anything away, I was stunned at the turn of events for Sienna. Sienna is diagnosed with breast cancer and tries to find out the details of her deceased mother's cancer. All while uncovering secrets that have been long buried. I enjoyed so many things about this book. This is another extremely well written book by Jessica Pack.

Content: drug use, some language (wasn't offensive to me)
ines M
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book I really enjoy reading.
The author develops the characters in a very good way, sending the reader into the story and its ups and downs with ease. Sienna finds herself falling off a cliff at the beginning but finds the strength to look for what will set her free. In a way, there has to be mistakes for the welcoming of forgiveness. And the healing is like a promise of future.
A good story perfected by a good writer can only end up in success.
Maria V.
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the plot - a girl in search for the truth about her family when everything else seems to be falling down. I would have liked a little more details about the actual story and how it unfolds. However, great read and I will recommend it to my book club. It has really many interesting points of discussions regarding infertility, divorce, cancer, and family relationships.
Erin Duffey
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I struggled getting into this book and didn't finish it. I do not like books that focus on one secret that you don't get to find out unless you read. I think it's a weak plot driver and it angers me to no end.