Start by marking “Tom Sawyer” as Want to Read:
Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Written while working at a bookstore in lower Manhattan, TOM SAWYER is a book of poems about heartbreak, depression, family, role models and heroes, and growing up in America.

It is as if you approached Joseph Grantham while he was sleeping & nudged him & he rolled over half asleep & told you about all of the things that embarrass him, all of the people he loves, & all of t
Published September 10th 2018 by Civil Coping Mechanisms

To ask other readers questions about Tom Sawyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Sawyer

Start your review of Tom Sawyer
Bud Smith
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joey moved in during the last heatwave. He slept on an air mattress in our spare room for five weeks. No air conditioning. There wasn’t any other furniture in that room. Just the air mattress. Maybe a lamp. A blue room. The loudest room in America. He was 23, had a mustache, and Jim Morrison hair. One or two days a week he wore a vertically striped pastel shirt called his ‘fun shirt’.
“What’s up Bud,” he’d say walking down the hallway in his white boxer shorts and the fun shirt.
“What’s up, Joey,
Joseph
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
i wrote this book.
i was sad when i wrote it.
i wrote most of it while i was at work.
i was working at a bookstore at the time.
i wrote most of it on bookmarks or scraps of paper.
i hope you enjoy reading the book if you decide to read the book.
Colin
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember once in college Joey and I were walking to the dining hall across commons lawn and he made a joke about how silly it was that book blurbs would describe a writer's prose as "dizzying." Like, I would love to read a book that's going to make me fucking dizzy... These poems made me remember that joke, maybe because it's kind of a hypochondriac's joke and this is kind of a hypochondriac's book, and maybe also because I miss those walks with Joey and this book is the closest I can come to ...more
Downward
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read a bunch of these poems out loud to my students. I don't teach poetry I mostly teach how to do research. They thought it was a real nice break from the boring stuff and they laughed. "how is that a poem?" some of them said, because their only experience of poetry was high school stuff with hard rhymes or overwrought metaphors about horses and paths, nothing new or alive or vital. But this stuff is real, it's idle melancholy with a deep vein of hope. I liked it a bunch.
 b
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
There is much to like here in the honesty and irreverence, but also much more to come I hope. A well-named book there.
David Catney
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
i enjoyed these poems. there's a lot of good stuff in here. this book really rang my bell.
Jared Levine
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this lil thing while on my lunch break at work. Between bites of canned dolmas and stale brioche, I sucked down these poems one by one. Joey had some poems in here, some made me laugh, and some made want to give him a hug. I was happy to see poems about work. I understood those poems and they understood me. I knew Joey once, he was sweet, and these poems are sweet too.
Zac Smith
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
these poems are very funny. they are also insightful and sweet. i like them a lot.
Charles
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this one day when I wasn't feeling great about life and it made me feel better stuck in my feeling that life is often boring, random, absurd, stupid, sad and goofy. These poems are short, full of wit and totally convincing, daydream-like trains of thought. At times they felt like thoughts I would have if I stopped trying to pep myself up or "push through" my day but let my mind wander more. Which is to say I really related to these poems.
Franco Romero
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ordered this book after hearing Joseph Grantham on the otherppl podcast. It arrived last night. I stayed up late reading 3/4 of it. I read the rest of it this morning. There are poems about riding the bus and going to work. There's sad poems and poems that genuinely made me laugh which isn't something poems do very often. A bunch of the poems use the names of people Joseph Grantham knows and I really liked that, I liked seeing how he sees those people. I wish I read this while drinking coffee.
Jerome Spencer
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is funny and sad and weird and relatable. You should read it if you haven’t or read it again if you already have.
Brooks
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"i had a dream last night
hang on
the dream was only one sentence long"
Daniel Eastman
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am discovering what a poem can be. It can be a page of the book. It can be the whole book.
Kevin Sterne
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joseph Grantham is my second favorite poet and this is the second book of poems I have read by him
Shannon McLeod
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny, sweet, and sad. Just what I needed to read right now.
Homeless Homeless

• Foghorn Leghorn
  • The Ice Cream Man and Other Stories
  • Cherry
  • Tonight I'm Someone Else: Essays
  • literally show me a healthy person
  • 50 Barn Poems
  • F250
  • Sing to It: New Stories
  • Welfare
  • Imaginary Museums
Joseph Grantham is the author of Tom Sawyer (CCM Press, 2018) and Raking Leaves (Holler Presents, 2019). He lives in America.