Start by marking “His Leading Man” as Want to Read:
His Leading Man

His Leading Man

Length: 5 hrs and 22 mins

He wrote a comedy. Fate directed a romance.

Drew Beaumont is bored of the same old roles: action hero, supervillain, romantic lead. He’s not going to let a fresh gay buddy comedy languish just because they can’t find him the right costar. No, Drew bats his eyelashes and convinces everyone that the movie’s writer should play Drew’s not-so-straight m
Audible Audio
Published August 16th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press LLC (first published June 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about His Leading Man, please sign up.
Ashlyn Kane Sorry, Sakuko, I didn't see this until today! It was always scheduled to be released in June. If Goodreads provided different information, that was in…moreSorry, Sakuko, I didn't see this until today! It was always scheduled to be released in June. If Goodreads provided different information, that was in error. But it's out now!(less)

R * A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts - Because this did not make me wince or roll my eyes once!

Just like the blurb says, Hollywood heartthrob Drew, is up for a challenge and that’s a comedy. However, despite finding the perfect script, Drew hasn’t found the right costar. That is, until the writer himself naturally fits the role to a “T”.

Steve for sure is hesitant to star in his own creation. He’s a writer, not an actor, and he prefers to be behind the scenes far away from the center of attention. Despite that, it’s very ha
Sara
5 Hearts

By now it’s not even a secret that I love the Dreamspun Desires series. I am hooked on it and even when I am stuffed full of the fluff, there is always room for more of these stories that simply make my hopeless romantic heart sing. Adding Ashlyn Kane to the mix just ramped up that singing to opera levels because I adore the romance Kane delivers and she delivered it hard Steve and Drew.
You know how some people you click with right away and everything’s smooth and good, and you just
Sandra
Well, this was utterly adorable. Extremely likable characters, even if Drew can be a bit of a diva, inside a mainly angst-free romance on a movie set between a famous Hollywood actor and the brand-new screenwriter whose first screenplay was just optioned and who's sucked into playing one of the leading roles in the movie, falling in love on set and off, and character growth wrapped in a fluffy, feel-good novel - yeah, I'm all for that.

Add some fun supporting characters, like Steve's mom, and Dre
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

I don’t usually choose romance that involves famous people – yes, deliberately – mainly because it often involves secrets, misdirection, breech of privacy, and a lot of stress because the involvement of media. BUT, I like few of Ashlyn Kane’s previous books; also this one coming from Dreamspun Desires line, I can expect low steam story that focuses on the wooing or relationship build rather than sexual satisfaction.

I guess I made the right choice this time! For romance in th
haletostilinski
I had a hard time with this one.

It took until about 30%-ish for me to start to get into it, and then really 50% for me to really be into it. Even then, there was a little something missing.

There wasn't enough heat or passion between these two. The sex scene was pretty hot and I felt there, I did. But then we didn't really get much else besides that one sex scene in the way of smut, or just heat and passion. Some kissing, but even after they get "together" we don't get to see a lot of them being
Karen
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Maybe a little drama llama would be ok...sometimes...

Drew Beaumont is a successful actor who's bored with the usual Hollywood fare when it comes to movie roles. So when he gets the chance at something that's different and pushes all of his acting buttons...there's not much that Drew won't do to not only have a role in it but to make sure the movies gets mad.

Steve Sopol is so close to having his dream come true of seeing his first screenplay become a movie...but is he desperate enough to step o
Ivy
Full review at :

description

Drew Beaumont is a famous actor in Hollywood, but he’s bored. He always plays the same roles, super villain, action hero or romantic lead. When he reads the script of an unknown writer, a gay buddy comedy, Drew knows this movie and the role of Scotty are for him, but he can’t find the right co-star, until he meets the writer, Steve Sopol.

Steve has wanted to be a writer since he was six years-old, and when his
BWT (Belen)
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

His Leading Man is a thoroughly enjoyable romance. It's just so sweet, adorable, cute, fluffy, low angst, and easy to lose yourself in.

Told in a dual POV this had a lot of opportunities to devolve into cliche, but it didn't. Kane keeps the writing tight and the characters are well fleshed out and I spent the entire time rooting for them.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the HEA ending, and Kenneth Obi's narration was really well done with easily discernible character voices, go
namericanwordcat
This is a charming romance about fame, expectations, and Hollywood's portrayal of queer characters.

I like these light romance in the Dreamspun Desire line and this is a especially good one with well drawn characters, a quick moving plot, and plenty of chemistry.

We get to know Drew and Steve at the same pace they get to know each other. Its fun, moving. and a delight.

Good stuff.

Happily Ever Chapter
✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 4-STAR ✩ REVIEW ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

> > Judging a Book by its Cover < <
Upon first glance at the cover, I’d thought the model was at a beach, but looking closer, I think it’s meant to be a pool. City skyline in the background. The model is a cutie, enough to make me stop to read the synopsis. The synopsis promised to be fun.

> > Looking Deeper < <
POV ~> Third person

Hollywood actor, Drew Beaumont, spied an unfinished script on his agent’s desk and knew it was something he w
Fritz42
What an enjoyable story. Drew is a famous, out bisexual leading man, who has been in the business since the age of 10. He is determined to get an unfinished script he discovered on his agent's desk into production, and the story opens up with the frustrating task of auditioning for the co-star of that film. Nobody is standing out, until Steven, the script's writer, is asked to coach one of the mediocre actors by showing him how he wrote the scene to be played. Steve's ability to hit that charact ...more
Serena Yates
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of a screenplay writer starring in his own movie is quite funny, but adding the fact that the script is unfinished at the point they start filming makes this story hilarious. Oh, and even though it was supposed to be a comedy, romance just seems to “sneak in” as they get to know each other and subtle changes are made to not just the dialogue but the entire plot. Then there is the actor, a mainstream star looking for a gay buddy comedy, who loves the script (what there is of it) and is q ...more
Lila Hunter
Rating: 3.5 stars

Review at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.

ARC provided by Dreamspinner Press in exchange for an honest review.
Melanie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

For the full review, visit https://wp.me/p220KL-dO4

From that review: Sometimes all you want is an extremely well written angst free romance.  One completely lacking in murderous ex lovers, psychotic stalkers, or even the normal life driven "why  did it happen to me/them" elements that realistically thread through some contemporary novels these days.  Sometimes, I just want happy.  A well plotted story, full of multidimensional
Lisa The Novel Approach
Steve Sopol is an alias—he’s hiding an important piece of himself for many good reasons. When his big chance as a film writer comes through, there is only one catch: he must act opposite the big-name lead his small indie script managed to snare. It’s not that Steve hasn’t acted before, but writing is his passion, so if it means taking on the lead opposite the gorgeous Drew Beaumont in order to see his as yet unfinished screenplay make it onto film, Steve is willing to go the distance. But, the i ...more
Lynn Reynolds
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Drew Beaumont wants to work with someone he can connect with. Steven “Steve” Sopol may have a new side job. What I like about him is that he gives us an insider look at the process that is needed to create something for our enjoyment – kind of like an author.

This was a new author for me so it did take me a bit to get used to her writing style. It took a while to see where this was going. I didn’t feel any type of connection to our main characters. I felt more like someone standi
Bo
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harmless Little Romp

This is a nicely paced, well developed, and occasionally funny slow-to-explode romance between Drew, a diva bi actor, and Steve, an aspiring screenwriter who has some experience in acting and doctoring scripts. They meet because it's Steve's script that Drew has chosen as his next project.

They meet cute, develop a little byplay, proceed to romance while little bombs of information pop up here and there to flesh out, or complicate, their relationship.

This is not a book with lo
Yue
Not bad but forgettable. I finished this recently and I have to check the summary to remember the names :S

Very simple story about a popular actor who never does relationship and falls in love with the scriptwriter of his new movie. Drew is a bit of a diva but he was more charming than "normal" Steve. Maybe because Drew shows more his feelings than Steve. There is nothing overdramatic, it was all sweet and "normal": going in a fancy date, spending the weekend together, taking things slowly inste
Amy Aelleah
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, sweet and just a wonderfully angst-free story. Cute and sweet and definitely has its funny moments and exactly what I've been trying to find - but they're more difficult to find than you think. Dreamspinner is usually a hit for me and I'll be looking at more from this series, even if I was drawn to this one because of the movie aspect. Side note: I'd totally watch this movie because it sounds hilarious. (And I bet my brother would like it.)
cupcakes and bookshelves
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Chemistry and fun moved along nicely in this book involving the trials that fame and fortune bring to the Hollywood famous and those they love. It was charming and a delight to read.

*Copy kindly given in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much*
b. binaohan
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think I finished this like... two days ago and now I'm having trouble remembering what it was all about.

An easy, light read that's ultimately forgettable.
Kate
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Gorgeous! Loved this story, didn’t want it to end!
Kaila
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story. i enjoyed it
Libbsmm
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katy Beth Mckee
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This is fun romantic comedy created during the filming of a comedy. These two talented men seem to find a way to make work and life so much fun.
Zane Kage
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5
Nicole
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5. Usually I love Ashlyn Kane’s work, but this one was jus so-so.
Pjm12
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fun, lovely boys, great dog, and an angst-free (mostly) plot.

I found this enjoyable and satisfying.
Mysterious
Sweet, fun. My quibble is that the couple jumped to all-in commitment a little too quickly...
Chanty
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: male-male
Much better than expected, but a little low on sex. It is very good when it comes to the relationship development. I felt the connection and saw the spark. Definitely recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ashlyn Kane is a thirtysomething writer, editor, procrastinator, and dog mom. She likes cheese, puns, and hockey.