Start by marking “The Last to See Her” as Want to Read:
The Last to See Her

The Last to See Her

A woman disappears into the dark city night...

Gen is on the verge of a divorce from her cheating husband. When her sister, Meg, has a convention to attend in the Big Apple, she invites Gen along to celebrate her newly found freedom. But the perfect sisters' getaway quickly goes awry when a tipsy Gen defiantly throws her wedding ring off the hotel room's balcony. Then, want
Published December 15th 2020 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Last to See Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last to See Her

Start your review of The Last to See Her
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay. I loved it. I loved Gen. I loved the well developed, fair, karma is a bitch kind of conclusion. I loved the intriguing chapters and learning more about psychological evolution of Gen. How she struggled with jealousy, hurt, betrayal. How she dealt with her pain.

And of course I just wanted to spit on the faces of two characters. Meg, sister dearest and Thad- husband assholest are so far best hatable, punchable, detestable, rotten eggs throwable characters I’ve been lately introduced.

Even t
megs_bookrack
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Okay, this author made some interesting choices.

The Last to See Her is definitely a wild ride. One, I hate to admit, I didn't enjoy all that much.

This Domestic Thriller follows two sisters on a trip to New York City where things go horribly wrong.

Gen is currently going through a bitter divorce. Meg, her sister and best friend, is heading to a medical conference in NYC. Trying to help her sister out, to get her mind off her current troubles, Meg invites Gen to go along.

Gen agrees and meets her s
Bridgett
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I thought this book was a total mess.

The two main character's names, Gen and Meg, were switched constantly. The cop investigating Gen's disappearance was inept (i.e. he never went through Gen's belongings, he left evidence -- the note and ring -- with Meghan, he never found Gen's diary, and I'm not sure how he was supposed to actually investigate at all, since he was having coffee with Meg so frequently--not to mention sharing information with her, despite her being a person of interest in h
Jayme
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars-rounded up.....🤔

Gen, a romance novelist is about to sign the divorce papers which will dissolve her marriage to her cheating husband, Thad.

Her sister Meg, a renowned Physician, needs to attend a convention in New York, so Gen accompanies her, so they can “celebrate”!

After a decadent dinner and too much to drink, they return to their hotel suite, where Gen proceeds to throw her very expensive wedding ring off of the hotel balcony.

Needing fresh air after her defiant act, she decides
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
I read a book by @courtneycolewrites last year called Mine. It is a juicy good thriller with great tension, and I knew I had to read every other book she writes. Under her nom de plume, Courtney Evan Tate, her “darker side,” I’ve also devoured her I’ll Be Watching You. She now has this newest book, The Last to See Her, and I am happy to say, I loved it, too! Love all around!

Two sisters travel to NYC after one is on the cusp of a divorce from a cheating husband. That same sister, Gen, disappears,
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Divorcing a lawyer was the only thing worse than being married to one.

He seemed intrigued now, at the very least. Mention sex, and you get a man’s attention. It wasn’t always the attention you wanted, though.

… a bustling room filled with ringing phones and the sounds of metal file cabinets slamming closed. If a place could smell like unsolved crime, it would be this.

Thad is an ambulance chaser. He’ll survive. He’s like a cockroach after an atomic bomb.

My Review:

I was waffling a b
Berit☀️✨
A twisted sinister tale about two sisters. OK I’m going to bust out my complement sandwich because I am truly conflicted with this one.

The good(the bread), this was a fast-paced addictive story. Jen has recently left her husband after she caught him cheating on her. she is now in NYC on a girls trip with her sister and BFF Meg. after a night of fine dining and drinking Jen goes out for a walk to get some fresh air and never comes back. Meg is frantic and begins the search for her sister.

The no
Nancy
Feb 12, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Where to start with this one. If I took a drink every time the author used the words “pregnant pause”, I might have ended up a little tipsy. With so many words to choose from, I just found it odd for those 2 words to be used repetitively in a book. Moving on...

The Last to See Her is one of those books that I find hard to review. The story wasn’t bad and I actually wanted to know the outcome, but the writing and dialogue are just mediocre. I would definitely classify it more as a domestic drama r
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
This book starts off quite strongly. It's a fascinating premise about a woman who disappears, but then it quickly went off the rails for me.

None of the characters were particularly believable, and I didn't like or want to root for any of them. The professionals were extraordinarily bad at their jobs--the PI has photos of something that supposedly only occurred once, yet he didn't uncover a major thing about Thad's life that was totally out there for anyone to figure out. Despite that, not much
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
(2.5) It started out well enough- I was invested in the sisters & curious where we were headed. But then it just kinda went off the rails. & honestly I can usually suspend belief & just enjoy the ride, but this also got really repetitive.. & ultimately it got to a point where I almost wanted to skip a chunk just to get to the end. (Ok I didn’t skip it but I DID resort to speeding up the audio to make it through!) I must say I did appreciate where we wound up in the very last chapter or 2.. But o ...more
Jen
Dec 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off strong but became increasingly confusing and unrealistic as it went on. It centers on Genevieve (Gen), who is reeling from finding out her husband Thad cheated on her, and takes a weekend trip with her sister Meghan to New York. Lo and behold, Gen ends up disappearing without a trace her first night there, and a ton of secrets are uncovered in a narrative that flips back and forth between the past and the present.

The writing itself was good, and I like the style of going ba
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
SO MANY MIXED FEELINGS. In a way, I'm in awe at how many balls were juggled here without dropping one. And yet, I'm also bamboozled with a love/hate feeling about this one. I have a feeling this is going to be quite a divisive read amongst readers and I'm ALWAYS here for that! So when it comes down to it, I have to split the difference with this one because I honestly don't know which way to turn. Does this make me a method reviewer? 😉 (It only makes sense if you know, but even if you do, it pro ...more
Shalini
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the intrigue in the story as one night, on a midnight walk, a sister disappeared, and it was left to the other to try to find her. My first book, though would not be the last, by author Courtney Evan Tate kept me up, reading late at night, just to know the reason behind the disappearance.

There were a few twists, one really made me gasp… I had a – Noooo… I can’t believe it – moment, then the book moved swiftly on the investigation and truth reveals. The love between both the sisters was g
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.I am always on the lookout for a good psychological thriller to sink my literary teeth in, so when this book came on my radar, I jumped at the chance to read it. The story proved to be entertaining and quite the page turner.

In this story we meet Genevieve, a romance author, and Meg a doctor. Two sisters who loved each other dearly. Genevieve is getting a divorce
MicheleReader
I have such mixed feelings about this book. The premise was so good.

Gen, a romance novelist, is about to sign divorce papers and will soon be free of Thad. She accompanies sister Meg to a medical convention in New York City to celebrate. After some heavy drinking, she flings her expensive wedding ring off the hotel balcony. She then goes for a walk alone. And that is the last time she is seen.

The search for Gen is now in the hands of a NYC detective. The story is told in both present time as w
Shelleen Toland
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
The 2 sisters have a night out and get drunk . Gen is asked why is she still wearing her wedding ring. So Gen takes it off and throws it off the balcony.
Then Gen decides to take a walk and disappears. The next morning Meg calls the police to report her missing. But of course she has to wait 24 hours.
As Meg is
Joce (squibblesreads)
Yikes, I did not enjoy a lot of this: the “hysterical scorned woman” trope, the portrayal of the one disabled character... thank goodness it moved fast 😬 The characters also felt hollow and underdeveloped. This was disappointing.
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-ebooks
The Last to See Her is the newest suspense thriller by author Courtney Evan Tate (Courtney Cole).

The main characters of this book are Genevieve/Gen and her sister Meghan/Meg.

The story starts with Genevieve and her sister in New York City. Genevieve is a famous romance author. And Meghan is an impressive doctor.

Something happens in NYC that becomes the focus for the rest of the book. A character disappears. I didn't read the book blurb before starting this book. But I found the title so chilling
Carrie
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Linda Strong
3.5 STARS

Meg has a physicians' convention to attend and asks her sister, Gen, to come along with her in sort of a celebration for Gen's divorce from her serial-cheating husband. Going out for few drinks afterwards leads to a couple of drunken ladies and Gen throwing her 4-carat diamond ring out the hotel window where they're staying.

Later, Gen decides to take a walk, get some fresh air, clear her head. Surprisingly she actually sees her ring and picks it up ... that's the last thing she remember
Jannelies
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
What I liked about the book was that I kept on reading (although I do not have a lot of time to read nowadays) because I wanted to know what really happened with Genevieve. For me, the book lacked a bit in character development and tension. All characters are a bit flat and since the whole story revolves around what happened with Genevieve, more depth and background would have been good. The ending felt a bit rushed and I think it would have been better to start working towards this ending earli ...more
Eve
Domestic Thrillers / Kidnapping / Contemporary
Publication date : December 15, 2020

Two sisters, Genevieve (Gen) and Meghan (Meg) decide to go for a quick trip to New York City. They are both successful at what they do -- Gen is an author and Meg a surgeon. Gen's personal life isn't as sucessful because she's going through a divorce from her cheating husband Thad. They want to let off some steam, so they have a nice dinner and too many drinks.

description

When they go back to their hotel room, Gen throw awa
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Since Gen was days away from being divorced and her sister had a conference to attend in New York City, they decided to celebrate there.

The celebration got carried away with both of them becoming very drunk and with Gen throwing her expensive wedding band over the balcony.

Gen then decided to take a walk to clear her head. That definitely was not a good idea because her sister and the doorman were the last to see her.

We follow the lives of both sisters before this incident and in present time. G
Steena Holmes
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On it’s own, it’s offers a great read. From the very beginning you are intrigued, confused and definitely want to know more. The trail of hints sprinkled throughout the book catch you unaware, making you realize you need to pay more attention.
I enjoyed the read – until about the 3/4 mark. Until this point, I was invested, intrigued and incensed at what was happening in the story.
And then I started to feel a bit disquiet about some of the plot points, how the aspect of mental health was dealt w
Elliot A
Thank you to the publisher, Mira, for providing me with an ARC of The Last to See Her in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

The Gist

I have to confess I don’t know how to write this review. How do I start and what should I write? What little anecdote should I include before getting to the details?

I never had the pleasure of reading any of the author’s other works, so I didn’t know what to expect.

The synopsis sounded intriguing and I sure could have used another distraction fro
Mackey
I've really enjoyted Tate's books in the past, under both her writing names. However, I struggled even to finish The Last to See Her. None of the characters - from the two sisters, the husband, the cop, no one - seemed remotely realistic to me but rather more like characatures of characters that they should have been. On top of that there was absolutely no plausability to the story line. I won't spoil it for you, but the character of Jody was too much for me to believe. Period. I LOVE fiction an ...more
Charlotte
Jan 02, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
thanks I hate it

it's 2021 let's leave ableist mental health plot twists behind

that doesn't even touch on all the plot holes or breach of logic in character behavior and and and... I want to erase this from my mind
Paige Green
Dec 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received this e-arc from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: The Last To See Her

Genre: Thriller

Recommended Age: can’t recommend, dnf

Publisher: MIRA

Pages: 400

Synopsis: A woman disappears into the dark city night…

Laura Peden
3.5/5 stars. Domestic suspense & I have a rocky relationship. I mainly read Mystery/Thriller/Suspense and domestic suspense is by far my least favorite. However, this one has a side of psychological thriller to it & I tore through it in a few hours! My only problem was that the ending felt wrong to me for some reason, not bad necessarily but I think it could’ve been better. While I wish it would’ve gone in a different direction, I can’t deny the fact that this was definitely a page turner for me ...more
Beas Chattaraj
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Genevieve is going through a divorce. Her husband had cheated on her and she wants to get things over with. When her sister Meghan invites her to New York to celebrate her newfound singlehood, Gen obliges. But then she goes missing.
This book takes us through the present and past lives of Gen, Meghan and Thad (Gen's husband) and the ongoing investigation process. Strange things are discovered and with time, it is clear that everyone in Gen's life has something to hide.
The storyline was good, as
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Perfect Guests
  • The Wrong Family
  • Evil Never Dies
  • The Book of Lost Names
  • Two Truths and a Lie: A Murder, a Private Investigator, and Her Search for Justice
  • Pretty Little Wife
  • Wrong Alibi
  • The Wife Upstairs
  • Heart Bones
  • My Mother’s Love
  • The House That Fell From The Sky
  • If I Disappear
  • The Bone Jar (Detective Lew Kirby, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Truly, Madly, Deeply
  • The View From Here
  • Bone Chase
  • In Case You Missed It
Courtney Evan Tate is the nom de plume (and darker side) of Courtney Cole, the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Beautifully Broken series and the Nocte Trilogy, among other fiction. She spends her days dreaming of new characters and story lines and surprising plot twists, and writing them beneath rustling palm trees in Florida.

Articles featuring this book