Start by marking “Shrewd Angel” as Want to Read:
Shrewd Angel

Shrewd Angel

(The Christmas Angel #6)

Pax Polo is the swashbuckling guitarist for Serenity Free.

Correction: Was the swashbuckling guitarist for Serenity Free.

Now he sports a black eye and his bros have kicked him out of their band—three weeks before Christmas. It’s an unfamiliar kick to his over-inflated ego, but . . . whatever.

No problem.

Thanks to some stellar eavesdropping, an unexpected angel ornament, and
Published December 2nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Shrewd Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrewd Angel

Start your review of Shrewd Angel
Judith
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a wicked cool idea that this Christmas ornament was a lucky charm . Or more than that. A guardian angel. (...)

I'm swooning big time here.

Get ready for the cuteness people...

Take one Angel tree topper,a whole lot of meddling,some truly engaging characters and you get an utterly charming story that you won't want to miss.

Pax Polo,guitarist for Serenity Free,is slinky,sexy,charismatic and he's going to need his meddling skills to be on top form to get himself out of his current s
☆ Todd
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

I kind of have mixed feelings about this latest Anyta Sunday read.

I loved the snark, banter, and games between Pax and Cliff, which flowed naturally on the page and felt extremely believable.

Pax was a bit of a mess and Cliff was entirely too put together for his own good, so seeing Pax try to unravel his perfectly-ordered life was so much fun to read.

However, for this to have been an M/M romance, the first half of the book didn't truly feel either gay-related *or* that a romance was inevitable -
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*** Killer Kindle freebie, 12/19/19!!***

A The Taming of the Shrew retelling

I was a beta reader for this book, and I think Anyta Sunday did an awesome job with it. I hope you all enjoy <3
Anyta Sunday
A charmingly vain rogue plays games with the overbearing older brother next door.

Who ends up winning surprises, well, one of them.

This New Zealand set (read: summer) Christmas MM romance is loosely based on Shakespeare's comedy: The Taming of The Shrew. And a sort of homage to the awesome, 90s rom-com 10 Things I Hate About You.

So many people to thank for the creation of this romance. Cheerleaders, beta-readers, editors, proofreaders. Vir, Sunne, Heather K, Silvia, Vicki, Heather at HJs Edit
Virginia Cavanillas
Based on Shakespeare’s Taming the Shrew and kinda 10 things I hate about you style, this is a Christmas story that shows us how important friendship is and how it fills your life. How you can find love when you’re not looking for it, when you don’t know even what love is.

The story is cute, funny and sexy in its slow burn. The banter, as Anyta’s trade mark, is so good, and it says, no, scratch that, it shows what its needed to be shown.

Pax Polo is not what he looks like, he’s not what he tries to
Cadiva
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The superb sloooooow burn talents of Anyta Sunday, a retelling of one of my favourite Shakespeare comedies, throw away lines referencing one of my favourite musicals (Taming of the Shrew and Kiss Me Kate respectively) and our interfering Christmas Angel conspire to produce a genius festive romance.

Cliff and Pax are fabulous, there's a whole host of wondrous secondary characters, the New Zealand setting is subtle and the nods to the both the original source material and to the amazing MGM musical
Ariana
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*4,5 stars*

It was a wicked cool idea that this Christmas ornament was a lucky charm. Or more than that. A guardian angel.

I can only whole-heartedly agree!

I was even more delighted at the thought that Anyta Sunday modelled this book on the 'Taming of the Shrew' which is my favourite Shakespeare play of all times!

And let me tell you: this lady did a crack(l)ing job here!

Not only do we get a plethora of hilarious banter and a cute, lighthearted romance, but we are witness to some of the best ver
Silvia
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*beta read an unedited version*

This book is a M/M romance set in New Zealand featuring music, found families and enemies to lovers. It's not too heavy on the Xmas element which is something I appreciated a lot since I'm not big on Xmas. If you're into the genre and are looking forward to some slightly xmasy romances I can definitely recommend it!
Amanda
Shrewd Angel is such a cute read full with shenanigans from guitarist Pax Polo trying to tame the neighborhood shrew, Cliff. Pax had moved into a new neighborhood after gotten kicked out of his band and feeling all sorry for himself. But he had a new task in hand, distract the shrew and help his new friends, Luca and Henry to date Cliff's sister and Pax might just get his wish granted.

To be honest, I don't know why is Luca and Henry is all over Bianca, but Pax shamelessly flirtatious technique a
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Hmmm...not my favorite by this author. It may just be me but I didn't particularly like Pax or the story.

Lelyana
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it

“Just because I’m gay and you’re gay, doesn’t mean we should be gay together.” Pax rested his head back against Cliff’s shoulder. “No, but I’m a dick, and you’re a dick, and we both like dick, so . . .”

So...
it's kinda hard to write this.
I love Anyta's books, almost all of them. Sorry that this one didn't really work for me.
I like slow burn, enemy to lovers, friends to lovers and I love Anyta's books :(
I really wanted to love this book, but I can't. All my friends loved it, and I was tryin
Gabi
I loved both main characters. The banter between them was fun. And true to Anyta Sunday-style, it was very slow burn.
At first I found the plot too complicated, but I got over it.

The main problem for me was that in the first half of the book, there was no indication of the attraction. At least not that was said out loud or in the narration. You had to look for it with a magnifying glass. I guess I'm used to characters who are always expressing themselves right from the beginning "uh I like this g
Andrea
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, romance, christmas
4.5 stars rounded up because this is Anyta Sunday. Duh…

I love her for her uncomplicated, drama-free slow-burn romances with two adorable (and surprisingly mature) idiots, and she delivers exactly that. I just loved this <3
The Taming of the Shrew is my least favourite Shakespearean play. But Anyta Sunday is my one of my favourite m/m authors and I thought if there's anyone who can make me like a retelling of this abhorrent play, it's Anyta Sunday. And guess what?

She did.

Shrewd Angel is an adorable romp of a novel that I read in one sitting. It features Sunday's iconic loveable and oblivious characters, hot and swoon-worthy banter, and charming and engaging storyline.

Pax is handsome and charismatic, and he knows it
Bárbara
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fuck, this was wonderful. Anyta really outdoes herself in this one, like, the slow-burn has its own slow-burn (that didn't make sense, but it's not there for that).
I loved these characters and the process of personal growth they draw out of each other, as they grow closer to each other.
This was all kinds of heart-warming and feel-good, like I hadn't read in a while. Just the thing I was in the mood for, and sort of in desperate need of. Anyta always has my back and I can't properly put into wo
Eugenia
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance, holiday
A bit of a mess....

Man, was the beginning of this book awkward and clunky!!

It had it’s moments, but it never got up to speed for any amount of time. Never felt smooth. It was a very forced retelling of Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew that just did not work. At all.

I know the play very well and this just made me cringe. Sorry Anyta.

There was some UST, but it never ratcheted up. The banter didn’t work. It was just really disappointing.
Relly
Not my favourite

I think I’m going to be on my own on this one as I’m thinking this is going to be one of those It’s me not you situations
Everyone I can see enjoyed this one and I just didn’t.
It’s well written but I didn’t really like either character and I had to push myself to finish it.
The side characters were good, but being in Pax’s head was hard
The banter didn’t work for me and to be honest I just didn’t feel the connection between the two guys
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I enjoyed this installment of the Christmas Angel books but I didn't buy into Pax or Cliff as a couple. Not until the very end. But more, I felt left out as I read the story. I may be the only adult in the US who has not read The Taming of the Shrew so I was lost among the references and innuendo related to the story. I also don't want TV (because books!) and don't listen to much music (because audiobooks!) so references to songs and groups and other contemporary issues lost me.

I never did quit
Kim
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full Disclosure: I'm the author of another book in this series. But each book is a standalone, written independently by the author, so I can have some objectivity.

I loved this slow-burn story with music, snarky dialogue, and fun supporting characters. I was rooting for Pax and Cliff, and I bet you will be too. And although there's a lot of humor in this story, there's also depth of feeling as both guys deal with their issues.
Serena Yates
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sixth book in this amazing seven-book series around a wooden Christmas Angel sculpted in 1750, is set in 1999, and the angel has made its way from London via the United States to New Zealand. It has had quite some stories to tell, all of them very emotional, but this one has a much lighter tone. For one thing, a time has come where two men falling in love is no longer illegal or even a problem for a majority of the population. For another, it is about two men, Pax and Clifford, who don’t rea ...more
Ekollon
Yesss, Anyta Sunday delvers my first 5 star of the year! Ding ding ding!

This book feels very Antya Sunday-y for me. Very on brand. I don't know what it says about me that her books often feel very similar at their core to me, but I often have very different feelings about them. Often I love them, but sometimes I don't, and they still feel like they have the same foundation to me regardless. What's the difference? I don't know. You'd think I'd either love them all or not love them all if they all
Vallie
Dec 16, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: christmas
DNF @18%

Ugh this is so frustrating but I just can’t with this book. I love Anyta Sunday and Christmas stories even more, not to mention the enemies-to-lovers trope. But I’ve been picking and putting this book down for 2 weeks now and I just find it incredibly dull. The banter isn’t to my liking and the whole plot seems a bit ridiculous to me. I realise it’s a modern retelling of the Taming of the Shrew and maybe I should stick with it longer but I have no patience for it this holiday season.

Pe
Lisa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
We fast forward another 25 years and we are in NZ at the turn of the 21st century.
Outcast from his band, Pax sets his sights on his neighbors and helps his flatmate to get with the neighbors sister.
Yes, this book had some funny moments but as I had not read Taming of the Shrew some of it was lost to me.
The angel makes several appearances but doesn't seem to be as intregral to the romance as she was at the start.
I liked the book, but its not my favorite of the series.
3.5 roinded to 4
Rachel
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it:)
Ajax1978
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know how when you’re watching college football and an SEC team loses, and the camera cuts to their fans weeping in the stands, all the sad UGA bros in their boat shoes have had a breakdown and are crying their eyes out? That was me reading this...crying like I was about to throw myself on a coffin being lowered into the ground. That emotional investment is what gives Anyta Sunday’s stories their heft to me.
June
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite
(Free on Kindle since yesterday)

LOVED IT. The tone was really light, with a main character who lives for jokes, but all in all the book touched on many serious subjects. The main character's energy was catching, and Shrew's perceptiveness was pretty awesome. I'm not saying that MC was dumb, he's always making elaborate schemes but is actually very transparent. And conscious of his own transparence. And of the idiocy of his schemes, which makes the whole book very fun to read.

Now I'm curious abou
Ash
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is classic Anyta Sunday all wrapped up in a late-90s, New Zealand Christmas package. Slow-burn goodness, witty snark, oblivious MCs, amazing secondary characters, healing and comfort. Everything I expect when I open up a book by this author, who never leaves me disappointed.

Pax is our POV character. He's on the outs with his band, trying to stay on his feet while he figures out a way to get back in their good graces. He figures distracting himself by helping his new roomie get the girl coul
Sheri
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: still-smiling, ya
I always look forward to new releases from Ms. Sunday and couldn’t contain a small whoop of joy when I saw her along the list of marvelous authors participating in this collection. Her addition is slightly different but no less enjoyable in my opinion. She excels at slow-burn and Pax and Cliff dawdle their way together magnificently. Their relationship starts out a bit rocky. In the beginning, things focus on the mysteries of both men’s lives. We…well, we get to know Pax and Cliff before they be ...more
Joyfully Jay
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Loosely based on Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew, Shrewd Angel is a wild romp complete with witty dialogue, fantastic humor, and fast moving action. One cannot help but fall in love with Pax regardless of the fact that his scheming and manipulative ways are never going to work out. He is a lost soul—not happy in the band and yet not confident enough in his own talent to really make a name for himself in the music world. Cliff is simply a hurting man who has be
Becca
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a story. An over inflated ego of a rock star going against a Shrewd mind of the neighborhood shrew. Each in their own way playing a game, but not knowing how to act when it becomes more than a game.
I don't know who I wanted to shake more. Pax or Cliff. Both so hard headed and stubborn. But when it comes down to it, some of their behavior comes from what they've been through. The walls always staying up, the uncomfortable laughter to shake things off….yeah. it's hard to let someone in with t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • El chico de la última fila (Cabana, #2)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • Beautiful Dreamer (So This is Christmas #1)
  • Twenty-One Arrow Salute (The Order #2.5)
  • The Highlander​ (The Order #2)
  • Flash Rip
  • Golden Boy and the Two Bears (Happily Ever Asher, #2)
  • Stuck with You
  • A King in Wonderland (Happily Ever Asher, #3)
  • Cult of Personality (Criminal Intentions: Season One #7)
  • Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform, #7)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Santa Daddy
  • Ryder
  • No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1)
  • Dedicated (Rhythm of Love, #1)
Hey guys,

A bit about me: I'm a big, BIG fan of slow-burn romances. I love to read and write stories with characters who slowly fall in love.

Some of my favorite tropes to read and write are: Enemies to Lovers, Friends to Lovers, Clueless Guys, Bisexual, Pansexual, Demisexual, Oblivious MCs, Everyone (Else) Can See It, Slow Burn, Love Has No Boundaries.

I write a variety of stories, Contemporary MM R

The Christmas Angel (7 books)
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Summerfield's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #2)
  • The Magician's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #3)
  • Christmas Homecoming (The Christmas Angel #4)
  • A Soldier's Wish