Start by marking “Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales, #3)” as Want to Read:
Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales, #3)

Isle of Palms

(Lowcountry Tales #3)

Anna Lutz Abbot considers herself independent and happy, until one steamy summer when she must find a way to deal with the secrets of her unpredictable family-and her past.
Published January 4th 2005 by Berkley (first published January 11th 2003)

Ashley Daviau
Feb 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book started off good but I quickly lost interest in it. It was bland and boring and took me forever to read considering how fluffy it is. The characters were dull and I felt zero connection to them, at times they were truly insufferable. I have other books by this author on my TBR and I’m quite tempted to move them to my donation pile without reading them. I don’t know if I’m ready to suffer through another story like this one...
Debbie
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as I have enjoyed other books by Dorothea benton Frank. There are great characters, a good story, and most of all I love the low-country and the references to places I know. But there were also several things I didn't like about the book.

The beginning starts off awkwardly with the main character, Anna, addressing the reader directly... "Get yourself a cup of tea, I'm gonna tell you a tale." Really tacky. Then several times throughout the book, also very awkwardly, the narrat
JudiAnne
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Anna Lutz Abbott grew up in a family plagued with dysfunction. In addition, the death of her mother shaped the rest of her life. Pregnant by date rape at her senior prom, she quickly marries Jim, her best friend, who is gay and together they raise daughter Emily. After 10 years they both agree that they love each other dearly but they must move on. Anna and Emily move from Charleston to a small beach house on the Isle of Palms. Anna and Jim remain close friends and it is Jim who comes to the res ...more
Marleen
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a delightful read. I absolutely loved the story-line and the characters. Dorothea Benton Frank rarely disappoints as she writes about what she knows best: the low-country, Charleston and surrounding islands - and the people who call it home. Indeed, ISLE OF PALMS, is set in the author's beloved birthplace region and is a tribute to everything from its salty marshes to its eccentric inhabitants. Frank provides equal parts drama, southern heritage and razor sharp one liners.
The main
Patricia
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought that the story was just okay. The first four chapters provided background information and were not overly exciting. The main character had a rough childhood, and I don't want to give away more than that! However, the story progressed and I enjoyed the plot more and more. All in all, it was a good read.
MaryNell
May 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Eech. This HAD to be her first book as there were glimmers of the stories, characters and writing to come. Where was her editor? I've enjoyed her other beach books about life in the Carolina Low-country, but this was all over the place.
Judy Churchill
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another beautiful and delightful story set in the low country of South Carolina. The characters are bigger than life with huge dreams and they won’t come true without that first big step. That’s how life begins to take a turn for the better when Anna returns to the Isle of Palms.
Teresa
Slow start but full of drama. Wonderful read.
Mary L Johnson
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I have followed this his author for a long time. There haven't been any that I didn't love. This one made me laugh , teary and just purely enjoy.
Debby
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
I am a big fan of Dorothea Benton Frank's Lowcountry Tales books. I always look forward to reading one of her books because they are like a "Calgon take me away" reading experience. She is one amazing storyteller and the characters in her books are so real that you feel for them/withem.

Isle of Palms, in my opinion, is Frank's at her best! The cast of characters and the story were so captivating, I didn't want the book to end.

I highly recommend reading Isle of Palms and, for that matter, every
Amy Collins
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dorothea Benton Frank always creates endearing characters, and this book is no exception. The protagonist in this story overcomes major losses and trauma for her girlhood and teen years, and in her late 30's, finally gives herself permission to begin living life by her own rules. She's bold and vulnerable as she takes chances, builds a sense of community and family among her neighbors, workmates and close friends, and learns to trust herself. She manages to reconcile the ghosts of the past and a ...more
Sandi
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
While flying home from vacationing in Hawaii, I pulled out this book to continue reading. At one point I actually laughed out loud on the plane and the flight attendant said to me, "I've got to get that book because I'm watching you having so much fun reading it!" If I'd been able to finish it on the flight, I would have given it to her when I got off the plane. It was a very enjoyable read so I'm looking for another of her books.
Elizabeth Christmas
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this while at the beach (Isle of Palms). It was a good read and interesting to see the places that were in the book. The characters were mostly believable but for the ones that lingered close to the edge the suspension of reality (really, don't all works of fiction require some disconnection from real life?) kicked in. Over all, enjoyable and I'd read it again.
Cindy Heaton
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swapped
The characters in this Lowcountry novel reminded me of the characters in Sullivan's Island. Where they give you feeling of being just slightly over the top. The story was better though. There was more substance to it and the storyline was a little more interesting, even if I didn't like the cast.
Cindy
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of endearing characters, heartfelt life musings, in a gorgeous setting...a perfect book to escape into!
Patricia
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book very much. Have read most of her books, like the way she carries her characters on through several books.
Carol
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not my usual read. I like a good mystery..The story is about Anna Lutz Abbott.She tells of her journey after leaving her beloved Isle of Palms and her bitter sweet return...
Mike Radice
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a powerful ending. I loved the whole book, and also the creativity of sprinkling the first person perspectives of a couple of old timers from the island who knew the history.
Pam
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4th book I've read of hers, my foray into modern fiction, which I've mostly avoided in earlier reading. My family weren't readers: the bible, the encyclopedia, a gross medical dictionary, that's it. I've been playing catch-up since, was an American Literature major for awhile, have tried to read some "classics." But new fiction, hardly ever, except for politically or sociologically relevant--or assigned.
So I have no baseline, but this author made the New York Times bestseller list with a debut
Lori
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: south
I was encouraged to pick this book up due to positive reviews I heard...This is another story of a woman seeking her own little place back on the island where she lived as a young girl. The tragedy of her mother's death and installation of her severe grandmother coupled with a move from said island left her sad. A violence and resulting pregnancy further messes up her heart . There is an entourage of friends, gay ex husband, wise woman from her girlhood and of course ,the freaky boss and unlovel ...more
Susan Yanka
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining as always! **spoilers**

I think the first book I read by the author made me laugh out loud that's I love to read her books. I really loved the tie in with the previous book of Lowcountry tales! Charleston is one of our favorite places to visit and now I want to go back again just to go to visit the Islands.. Love her style and the way she brings in all gullah culture and true southern charm that only the Carolinas bring.

Low country tales books have been wonderful. Can't wait to read
Kshydog
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the setting of beach life on the coast, the over-the-top parties and decorated beauty salon, the humor among friends, the realization that friendship is so important and her look at sex at a later time in life. I respected her idea of marrying her gay friend to create a family with her rape pregnancy. Disagreed that her college daughter was still not told about it yet. Got the humor of seeing her Dad getting involved but it creates that continuing of older man and a younger lady lover. T ...more
Rebecca
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I so enjoy a book I can just sink gently into, and this is one of those books! It is filled with fascinating characters, and the story line is interesting, but...if you're looking for action-packed adventure, keep on looking! This book is more a lazy river ride than the bit water slide! And GOD KNOWS, I do love a good lazy river ride! The scenery is gorgeous, and the company (characters) are, for the most part, folks I'd love to meet at a backyard cookout on an August afternoon.
Emac
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t like this one. I found I had no real interest in the main character and her supporting cast as the story had nothing to grab me. It took a long time to plough through and I was relieved to reach the end. I’ve read and enjoyed most of DBF’s other books and was looking forward to further entertainment. I’m pleased that this wasn’t the first of Dorothea’s books I read: it may well have been first and only. Having said, on to her next one.
Lynnette
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is better than average for this type of book about a girl making her way back to the beach community she loved while growing up. It goes back to a childhood tragedy and then to the present where she realizes that she needs to break out of her shell. This author can be a bit
wordy--book could have ended way before she decided to stop writing...
Jennifer Morefield
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I listened to the audio version. The narrator was wonderful. The story drew me in. I really enjoy the southern style along the ocean front. Just a good story with wonderful characters. It was plausible. I've read 4 or 5 by Dorothea Benton Frank. I have really enjoyed them. Not my first by her and definitely not my last.
Lavada
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect beach book. For about 30 years our family vacationed at a beach on the Carolina coast (some of the Indiana tourists) but a move to Texas and life with our grandchildren took over and we haven’t been for a number of years. I miss it desperately and the author’s love for the area and descriptions took me to a happy place.
Kimberly Remeta
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WONDERFUL. This is not my first book by Dottie and once again, she has left me smiling. I fell in love with each character, became part of their victories, struggles and sorrows. I laughed throughout the book as she truly reflected Suthun' Low Country living! Well written and lighthearted you certainly will enjoy it~
Paula Cline
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Mighty Fine Read!

I have read most (& eventually will all of them) of Ms. Frank’s books. I don’t have a favorite as they all are a treasure unto themselves! This one caught me a bit off guard at the beginning but should have known it would take me where I needed to go! Read the book and bet you will end up there too!!!
DEB CARNOSSO
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I moved to Myrtle Beach 3 years ago and many people mentioned Dorothea Benton Frank's books to me. It took me some time but since I have started reading them I have fallen more in love with the Lowcountry. Her characters are wonderful and I am so happy to have books to read that I can't seem to put down!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Islands
  • Last Light Over Carolina
  • The Sunday Wife
  • Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)
  • Where the River Runs
Dorothea Benton Frank is the New York Times best selling author of ten novels.

Dottie has appeared on NBC's Today Show, Parker Ladd's Book Talk and many local network affiliated television stations. She is a frequent speaker on creative writing and the creative process for students of all ages and in private venues as the National Arts Club, the Junior League of New York, Friends of the Library org

Lowcountry Tales (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #1)
  • Plantation (Lowcountry Tales, #2)
  • Shem Creek (Lowcountry Tales, #4)
  • Pawleys Island (Lowcountry Tales, #5)
  • Return to Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #6)
  • Lowcountry Summer (Lowcountry Tales, #7)
  • Folly Beach (Lowcountry Tales, #8)
  • The Hurricane Sisters
  • All the Single Ladies
  • Same Beach, Next Year
“The most important thing I learned is that to be truly happy, you've got to pay attention to that stupid inner voice we all have. It knows what you need and will drive you shit crazy until you listen to it.” 14 likes
“All the while I was trying to figure out if I knew anyone who had married and stayed in love for decades. I thought about Daddy and Momma. Daddy had loved Momma with a great passion. Everyone knew that. But, why? I knew why! The ugly truth was that he loved her because of how she made him feel, not because of who she was. Was that the nature of a man’s love for a woman? Not what you bring to the table, but how you make him feel? I was drinking a cup” 2 likes