Start by marking “A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)

A Rogue by Night

(The Devils of Dover #3)

2018 RITA award-winning author!
From the author who Sarah MacLean calls "a charming, clever, and engaging storyteller" comes the next regency romance in the witty and sexy Devils of Dover series!
Baron. Physician. Smuggler. Harland Hayward is living a double life as an aristocrat by day and a criminal by night. As a doctor, Harland has the perfect cover to appear in odd p
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published May 28th 2019 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about A Rogue by Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rogue by Night

Anovelqueen
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b
What a book! I have found a new romance writer to add to my pre-release purchase list.

Harland Hayward, Baron of Strathmore, is more than a peer of the realm. He is a skilled surgeon and he also has ties to the post-war smuggling underworld. He meets Katherine Wright, a gifted healer in her own right as well as part of a smuggler family. They come together after Katherine’s brother Matthew becomes injured while attempting to smuggle brandy off the coast of Dover, England.

There was instant chemis
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
A confusing, disappointing read from the usually reliable Kelly Bowen.

I feel like I missed a lot of information about the baron/doctor/underworld smuggler main character. By the way, please ignore reality and historical accuracy if you are going to try to read this book. I couldn't wrap my brain around a member of the nobility practicing a trade and being so heavily involved with a crime syndicate. It... just didn't fit.

Also, it's like we are thrown into Harland Hayward's character and expected
OLT
May 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the first two entries in Bowen's The Devils of Devon series, so, for, shall we say, closure, I decided to read #3. It's about smugglers and has a woman doctor as heroine. Oh. Wow. How unusual. Excuse me, I'm feeling a touch of ennui. I need to go take a quick nap and I'll be back shortly...

...There. All refreshed. But, unfortunately, not in a better mood about the book. Please, HR authors. Enough with tales of smuggling in Devon and Cornwall. Enough with 1800s women doctors. I realize tha
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

“I don't like to be told what I can and can't do. What is right and wrong based on nothing but preconceptions and ignorance.” He stepped closer. “I don't think you do either.”

A Rogue by Night follows Harland Hayward and Katherine Wright as they get caught up in smuggling, doctoring, and falling in love. The Devils of Dover's previous two books starred Harland'
Caz
I’ve read and enjoyed a number (nearly all?) of Kelly Bowen’s historical romances, and have particularly admired her ability to create strong, determined heroines who manage (mostly) to operate within the conventions of the time period in which her novels are set.  Yes, they have unusual professions or ambitions – a fixer, a bounty hunter, a professional gambler - but they’re not generally obvious about it and don’t go about proclaiming their unconventionality.  The same is true of the heroine o ...more
Barbara Rogers
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Series: The Devils of Dover
Publication Date: 5/28/19
Number of Pages: 368

***3.5 Stars rounded up to 4 ***

Well, I’m going to tell you two things right up front. (1) I thoroughly enjoyed this fast-paced, action-filled book. (2) Be prepared to suspend any credulity you have because there is not one – nope, not one – historically accurate thing in the book. I believe there should be a separate sub-genre for books like this because they can’t rightly be called ‘historical romance’ or ‘Regency romance’
Jen Davis
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really am a fan of Kelly Bowen and although I found this romance to be a little--I don't know--quieter than some of the others I've read from her, I still found it to be a solid read.

The previous book in this series centered on the sisters of Harland, our hero here. He is a baron, but also a doctor and a reluctant smuggler. He's in the service of King (whose book I am still waiting for) and must continue to do the man's bidding in exchange for the criminal kingpin saving his family from ruin.
Amanda
Apr 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Note: I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

As a major history buff, my huge problem with this book is that it isn't historically accurate in almost any way. The story is set in the late Regency period of 1820. Even if this book were set another hundred years into history, in 1920, I would find it really hard to believe this story line. The female lead, Kate, is supposed to be a surgeon (and midwife on the side) which would NEVER have happened in the Regency time per
Maida
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m happily suspending disbelief because the storytelling is superb, nonstop action is exciting, and the characters are compelling.

We have Harland, our hero, who is a doctor, a baron, and a criminal all at the same time. He is so enlightened, he calls the FMC a surgeon and offers for her to be his partner, his equal. Of course, he's handsome. Swoonworthy, right?

Then, you have an intrepid heroine, Katherine. She's a midwife/self-taught doctor (?), a caring daughter and sister, and a smuggler. Sh
Aly
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75

Why choose to become a field surgeon when you have a pampered life ? That's the question that comes to mind for Katherine Wright when she meet Baron Strathmore. He's a perfect gentleman but she doesn't trust him. After all, rich titled men wouldn't get their hands dirty to work in difficult conditions. So what is he hiding? A doctor herself (not that it's recognized, mentality of that time and all that), Katherine thought she was done with the family business but her father and her brother a
Robin Loves Reading
How is it Sir Harland Hayward, who happens to be both a baron and a physician, managed to show up just as Katherine Wright's brother Matthew was bleeding out? Katherine, very experienced as a physician, while in the process of stitching up Matthew, was suddenly forced face Harland. He is quite impressed by her skill and ends up devising an ingenious way of protecting Katherine and her family from soldiers.

Thing is, Harland is also a smuggler, a fact that he keeps close to his vest. As a doctor,
Tracy Emro
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up.

This is not your typical Regency, there are no ballrooms, no drives in the park, no ices at Gunter's, no simpering, virgin heroines or rakish heroes - No, this is a down and dirty, emotional story packed with smugglers, secrets, danger, prison breaks, crime bosses and strong characters.

Katherine Wright hates the life her family leads and wants them to stop smuggling and leave Dover. She has come home after years abroad, where she expanded her medical knowledge and skills, sk
Romancebooksandmore
this just might be the best of the series, two people doing what society says they shouldn't falling in love under odd circumstances both with heartache in their pasts, sign me up please.

this story is fast paced and intriguing and if you're read the other Devil's of Dover series well here is your chance to get to finally know the elusive older brother the Baron of strathmore what has this whily devil been up to. we get sneak peeks of him in Clara and Rose's stories but now he has one of his own
Jess
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-rental
Did it need an epilogue? No. Did I want one? Yes! But otherwise I really enjoyed the story.
Lisarenee
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
>>>>>My Synopsis (Review follows): <<<<<
Sir Harland Hayward, is a very multifaceted man. A baron by birth, a doctor by trade, and a smuggler-- not by choice but out of necessity. The latter being something few people know, and he'll do what he can to keep it that way. He's been doing his darnedest to keep his family financially stable in ways that could cost him everything. The fewer who know about it the better.

Miss Katherine Wright has recently come home. Her brot
Sabrina Susanna
I hate to say it but this one fell flat for me.
I still love Kelly Bowen‘s writing but the love story did not convince me. Too much instant attraction/love on both sides. I‘d have needed some more time for feelings to be developed rather than them just being there.
It was a nice read but at some time I just found myself skimming pages - even the main love scene, which is never a good sign. I guess I‘m also over the „tell me where you want me“-love scenes as well as the „let me repeat your exact
Jaci
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book three in the "Devils of Dover" Series is a wonderful love story. Kelly's writing is spectacular, she can make the list of ingredients in a recipe a must read! Her novels are character driven and her plots are original and compelling, making it hard to put down. There is passion, mind-numbing danger, laughter, and love that makes this story a treat to read.

Harland Hayward is a Baron, Doctor, and Smuggler. He made a deal with a devil to help him get the title and estates he inherited back fro
eyes.2c
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rollicking good story with a woman surgeon/smuggler!
Niki
Lord Harland Hayward wears many hats. He's a baron and a doctor but also moonlights as a smuggler at night. His role as a doctor gives him legitimate excuses to pop up in odd places and times when he's bringing in illegal cargo. He's done what he must to save his family's finances but even though his coffers are now full and the family business is thriving, he's stuck in a 20 year contract with a London crime lord known as King with no way out.

Katherine Wright grew up in a family of smugglers an
Amy ~ Love At 1st Read
I love Kelly Bowen’s books. Within a matter of minutes I’m completely swept away in a beautiful and compelling story with characters that quickly pull me in until I’m lost in their journey and I completely forget the world around me. I’d been anxious for Harland’s story since the start of this series. He was involved in something secretive and I was dying to know more. I knew his story would be outstanding, but I was still amazed at what a thrilling, seductive adventure it turned out to be.

Kat
Debby "Piene Raven"
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I have not had the opportunity to read books one an two in the series I got bit confused with time period while reading this story. With that being said, I thought the story as a nice read for a Kelly Bowen novel.

It takes place in Dover and Baron Harland Hayward, a doctor meets Katherine, a midwife when a smuggling operation goes bad with her brother Matthew. There were tense moments and danger that started the onset of romance for the H/h. The story was well-written and I enjoyed it.

I
Keri
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man talk about a abrupt ending. I blinked and it was all over in one page. That was my only niggle about the book.
Kay (aka) Miss Bates
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have come ’round to being a Kelly Bowen fan-girl. I think her romances are among the best in the historical subgenre. They are elegantly executed; the characters are sympathetically idealized without being insipid. Her plots clip along at an excellent pace and, thematically, she is the nonpareil, with a feminist twist to her heroines, taking nothing away from the rich historical context. I’ve enjoyed two Bowen romances to date, with reservations, but I think this third in her Devils of Dover s ...more
Jackie
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
ARC courtesy of Netgalley.

For those who can completely set aside their knowledge of early 19th century English culture, social mores, and expected gender roles, Bowen's latest provides a fairly enjoyable read. Set in 1820, her story features a woman doctor/surgeon as protagonist, with a baron/doctor/smuggler as her romantic match. I could make a long list of historical anachronisms (no surgeon, never mind no woman surgeon, was called "doctor," just to start), but other Goodreads reviewers have d
Carole Burant
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danger, smugglers, intrigue, passion, secrets....this story has it all and Kelly Bowen has completely blew me away, this was such an amazing book! The main characters, Harland and Katherine, are such fascinating and complex people and you can't help but want them to find their HEA together.

Both surgeons, as well as smugglers, they work so well together but Kate has so many trust issues and Harland has many secrets, which make it hard for them to understand each other. Their passion can't be den
Elena
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, arc, historical, romance
Molly
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series is a gem - an original, lovely, and steamy goodness. Can't wait for the next one! Recommend!
Cathleen
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while just to start this book because I'm not a fan of smuggling plots. I wish I had trusted in the author!
The titled doctor brother from the earlier books gets his story and I loved it! This can be read out of order, the other characters in this series don't have much page time. The heroine was a pleasant surprise and unique to her time. They go from one danger to the next and are potently attracted to one another.
This is a story I will read again. And will a certain exclusive crim
Suzannah
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Rogue by Night is book 3 in the Devil’s of Dover series by Kelly Bowen. I have to say that I truly feel that I have uncovered a precious jewel in Ms. Bowen’s writing. She carried me away to another world. I could smell the sea and taste its saltiness on my lips. I could hear the report of a gun and I could feel the cold bite of the bay’s water as the heroine dove into it. Every word is precise and calculated to carry her reader into another world. At times I laughed out loud and then cried my ...more
Minx
A Rogue by Night is the third book in The Devils of Dover series but if you haven’t read the prequels, no worries, you can read this book as a standalone. Although, I am glad to had read the previous books because it gave me insight into Sir Harland Hayward’s character and made me eager to know him better in this story. He has played a role throughout this series but he was always so serious and very busy, getting to know what this secretive man has been up to was a treat.

What was also a treat w
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Historical Romanc...: BR - A Rogue By Night - Kelly Bowen 21 17 Jul 21, 2019 06:42AM

• One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • Ten Things I Hate About the Duke (Difficult Dukes, #2)
  • A Dark and Stormy Knight (Victorian Rebels, #7)
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • The Devil Comes Courting (The Worth Saga #3)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • No Other Duke But You (Playful Brides, #11)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • A Duke in Disguise (Regency Imposters, #2)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • When a Rogue Meets His Match (Greycourt, #2)
  • Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)
  • The Bluestocking (Wicked Wallflowers, #4)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
Kelly Bowen grew up in Manitoba, Canada. She worked her way through her teenage years as a back country trail guide and ranch hand. She attended the University of Manitoba and earned a Master of Science degree in veterinary physiology and endocrinology.

But it was Kelly's infatuation with history and a weakness for a good love story that led her down the path of historical romance. When she is not

The Devils of Dover (3 books)
  • A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)
  • Last Night with the Earl (The Devils of Dover, #2)