Start by marking “Don't Date Rosa Santos” as Want to Read:
Don't Date Rosa Santos

Don't Date Rosa Santos

Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's what they say. Dating her is bad news, especially if you're a boy with a boat.

But Rosa feels more caught than cursed. Caught between cultures and choices. Between her abuela, a beloved healer and pillar of their community, and her mother, an artist who crashes in and out of her life like a hurricane. Between Port Coral, the
Published May 14th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Don't Date Rosa Santos, please sign up.
Nina Moreno My publisher picked it, and I love it! It's so fun. (And thank you!)

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was fun and beautiful and sassy and somber all rolled into one and I enjoyed the heck out of it.
Larry H
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars.

"We try with all we have. We fight hands we can't see. We stomp against the earth and whisper all the right prayers, but sometimes it isn't meant to be. You believe life will always be as it is, and you make plans, but the next thing you know, you're climbing into a sinking boat in the dead of night because the land you love is no longer safe. The sun sets, he doesn't swim above the water again, and time runs out."

Rosa Santos has been raised to believe that the women in her family are
Lola
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
The ''curse'' annoyed me. Like, really? And there's miscommunication, concealment of information, angst. That was bound to drive me crazy. So I stopped right before reaching that point. There is a lot that can make you want to shout in exasperation in this world, why let a book do that to you? Cute cover and some cute scenes though.
Zoraida
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is just everything. It is a love song to Cuba, to diaspora, to complicated families. It captures the way generations of Latinx women can communicate—or NOT communicate at all. It is about love and loss and grief. It is so absolutely charming and pure poetry. It is magical realism in the way Latinos only understand and it is romantic AF. I hope everyone gives it a chance and reads this book.
chan ☆
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
happy release day to this own voices excellence!

2019 is the year of good ass latinx contemporaries

this was a lot of fun! to be honest, i requested it because of the buzz i was hearing from some of my lovely latinx friends but i didn't know much about the story going in. i think had i known what the premise was i probably wouldn't have requested it. "save our town" kind of stories usually aren't for me. but i'm glad i listened to my friends because this was great!

it's a story about a cuban americ
Angelica
This book was so gosh darn cute. It was everything I didn't know I needed.

The culture, the language, the family, the romance, the curse! Everything was so cute and I loved it!

My little Latina heart was filled with so much happiness while reading this book. We don't enough cute Latinx contemporaries. We never just get to see some cute Hispanic kids just falling in love without the backdrop of racism, immigration or something equally serious or tragic in the background. NOt that this is bad, it's
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

WOWOWOW, i loved this a whole lot. Full review to come!
Stacee
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was legit here for the “cursed girl and the sea” story line and didn’t need much more than that.

I loved Rosa. I loved her loyalty and her steadfastness. I loved her need to explore and learn. Her friends were all great and so were the secondary characters. Of course Mimi stole every scene she was in and I don’t even know what to do with Alex {aka the boy who bakes and read silently next to her in school and is so shy and charming}

Plot wise, it was good. There were loads of characters and I fi
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
Jan 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hi hello, my name is Sara and I am confessing my sins. I may have murdered everyone for not telling me about this book earlier.

Girlmore girls! To all the boys I have loved before! Latino Culture! Bad boy-tattoos! Contemporary-romance!

THE FUCK, I AM IN SO SO SO IN. TAKE MY MONEY NOW!
Cassie Stever
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Thank you, Netgalley, for providing me with an ARC of Don’t Date Rosa Santos in exchange for an honest review!

Actual rating: 3.5 ★’s.

This was the perfect summer contemporary that was equal parts cute but also heartbreaking, which I didn’t expect.

While I did quite enjoy this, there was just something missing for me. I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it, either. It was just okay. The writing was beautiful and I did highlight a lot of quotes and passages. I also loved the dialogue, Nina M
Vicky Who Reads
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
please note that my reading experience wasn't perfect because all of the first pages of each chapter were missing so I kept getting jerked out of the story when it could have been smoother

BUT this was really good!!
Alexa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Buddy read with Kristin!

4.5 stars! This was such a wonderful YA contemporary filled with magic, culture, and a whole lot of love. I loved being able to accompany Rosa on this journey of hers from start to finish!
Anna Banana

I LOVED THIS BOOK SO DAMN HARD!!!

I honestly cannot even begin to explain how much this book sang to my heart and made me fall in love with reading in a way I completely forgot I could feel.

I loved everything about this book. But what I especially loved was how this book is about family, it's about culture, it's about trying to figure out who you are when you have two different country's pulling for your heart and soul. I related so much to feeling like you aren't "enough" like how Rosa struggle
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agenting
Nina is such a gifted writer, and I can't wait for everyone to read this Gilmore Girls meets Practical Magic YA! It's a story about Rosa, an artistic soul with a passion and determination to visit her family's country, a country forbidden legally and by her own family to visit in any capacity. Toss in the cultural elements, the diaspora, the lyrical language, and a whole lot of delicious pastries, and I was a goner. This book is gorgeous. *proud agent*
Ashley
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
starting off April with a BANG rtc

Ohhh my god. This book was so much more than I was expecting it to be. I will forever be obsessed with fluffy, cute YA contemporaries. This is that with a deeper, more meaningful layer hiding underneath. I wouldn’t say this book always reads as being realistic, but it's somehow unrealistic in the most charming way possible.

The story follows Rosa. She’s what I would consider a type A, highly motivational person. She’s in her last year of high school while simult
Jocelyn
I was home, and talking about Cuba had no place here. Mimi was never returning, my mother was always leaving, and I was a flightless bird left at her harbor, searching for answers that were buried at the bottom of a sea I could not know.

So ends chapter 1.

Don't Date Rosa Santos is so much more to me than just a sweet story about a girl on the brink of summer romance. I mean, it is that too and I'm sure that'll be enough to draw in plenty of lovers of YA contemporary. But for Cuban-Americans li
✩ Ashley ✩
When you totally forgot about that requesting spree you went on that one day months ago... and you get approved for and arc you’re SUPER EXICTED to read!!!!!

description
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

Trigger warning: Mention of death. Up till the point I read.

I received this E-ARC via Disney Book Group and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. When I saw this book on Netgalley I jumped to request it! Unfortunately it wasn’t for me.

As I started reading I lost interest. I thought it was just because I didn’t know the characters or the story. But this kept on happening. Eventually I realized I had no interest in the book.

Still recommend. I really believe this is an impor
Chanel Cleeton
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Perfect for fans of Jane the Virgin and One Day at a Time, Don’t Date Rosa Santos is both a relatable coming of age story and a heartfelt and evocative multigenerational tale of three women bound by a legacy of love, loss, and exile. Rosa is a heroine to root for and the charming fictional town of Port Coral—and its delightful residents—will find a place in readers’ hearts as Moreno infuses each page with rich Cuban culture and the unique magic of Florida.
Rocky
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't write reviews on Goodreads, ever, but I had to for this book. It is everything my Cuban American heart could've asked for in a book, and then some. The romance, the characters, the wit, the writing, the perfect capturing of what it feels like to be the granddaughter of a Cuban immigrant, it was all so wonderfully executed. I cannot praise this book enough.
Rachel Strolle
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfection
Juliana
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for this digital ARC.
I will admit up front that I was attracted to this book by the cover and the title. I had no idea what to expect. I actually nearly stopped reading it a couple times because I wasn't being pulled in. I pushed through until I WAS pulled in. The whole story of the Santos women was unique and much richer than I expected. The last third of this book is the absolutely best part of it, even when it's heavy and a little heartbreaking. I like
Natalie ⭐
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I laughed, I cried, and I loved this book.
Don’t Date Rosa Santos is about a girl who’s just trying to find her place in the world. Rosa is one of the most relatable protagonists I’ve ever read, and I can’t emphasize how much I loved reading about another Cuban-American girl living in South Florida and stressing about dual enrollment—and her family curse, of course. (Seriously, I’m convinced Nina Moreno found me somehow and said “I’ll write a story about this random girl who screams about books a
Surina
This book was way too cute and too much fun. Rosa Santos is someone I aspire to be, because I need her confidence and organizational skills. And I love love loved the community of Port Coral, who are essentially all one big well-meaning family that reminds me a lot of my own. Definitely going to reread this at some point!
Liv (Stories For Coffee)
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful Cuban Gilmore Girlsesque summery novel. While I didn’t click with the writing style fully and wished the descriptions and scenes flowed better because some parts had me rereading the page over again to see what happened, it was still a lovely novel about Cuban diaspora and finding out who you really are.
Paige
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vThbX...

I loved Don't Date Rosa Santos!

From the very beginning, and all throughout the novel, we are thrown into a world where things don't make sense and that's okay. Rosa feels lost and torn between two different cultures and worlds. She longs for the old all while embracing the new, trying to desperately grab at the small pieces of the past that will connect her to her family.

The whole concept of family and striving for a future that will con
laurel [suspected bibliophile]

The women in Rosa Santo's family are cursed to love them and lose them tragically to the sea. Rosa is determined that she's not going to be the next to doom a poor boy—she has her heart set on graduating high school, studying abroad in Cuba and returning home, both to the one in her soul and the one in her heritage. Until the Spring Festival, a wedding and a very cute boy with tattoos messes up all her plans.

This started off at a solid five star read and then fell apart with a bloated,
Maraia
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was such a joy to read (listen to). I love the family dynamics, the Cuban culture, the friendships, the sweet romance, and the diverse cast of characters. Rosa is a fantastic main character, and I enjoyed following her as she navigates growing up and figuring out what she wants in life. I also enjoyed her budding relationship with Alex, who is a genuinely nice guy, which is refreshing to see in a young adult romance. This is one you don’t want to miss!

Caro Herrera
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG. This book is EVERYTHING. I cannot begin to stress how impactful, beautiful, and important this books is. If there were more stars to give it, I would, because 5 does not seem like enough.

Rarely do we see a book with such rich and beautiful representation. Nina Moreno's writing jumps off the page. You can smell the ocean, feel the heat of the sun, taste the pastelitos, hear the music.

This book is about family, friendship, love, culture, trying to find your way when you have your two feet in
Natasha
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rosa Santos is cursed. Or, at least her family is. Every time a Santos woman falls in love with a sailor, he is tragically lost at sea. And everyone in her sleepy coastal town knows it. So Rosa stays away from the ocean, and sailors. Even though the ocean breeze calls her name. But when an opportunity to visit Cuba in a study abroad program presents itself (and a stoic, handsome sailor with waves tattooed on his arms), Rosa must decide if it is all worth the risk to reconnect with her roots. Can ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fake It Till You Break It
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Belly Up
  • The Grief Keeper
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • There's Something About Sweetie
Nina Moreno is a YA writer whose writing is somewhere between Southern fiction and a telenovela. She graduated from the University of Florida and writes about Latinas chasing their dreams, falling in love, and navigating life in the hyphen. She lives by a swamp outside of Orlando where she enjoys listening to carefully curated playlists, hunting through thrift stores, drinking too much Cuban coffe ...more