Start by marking “Don't Date Rosa Santos” as Want to Read:
Don't Date Rosa Santos

Don't Date Rosa Santos

Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's what they say. Dating her is bad news, especially if you're a boy with a boat.

But Rosa feels more caught than cursed. Caught between cultures and choices. Between her abuela, a beloved healer and pillar of their community, and her mother, an artist who crashes in and out of her life like a hurricane. Between Port Coral, the
Published May 14th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Don't Date Rosa Santos, please sign up.
Nina Moreno My publisher picked it, and I love it! It's so fun. (And thank you!)

Start your review of Don't Date Rosa Santos
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was fun and beautiful and sassy and somber all rolled into one and I enjoyed the heck out of it.
Chloe
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This had major Jane the Virgin vibes & I adored it!
Larry H
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars.

"We try with all we have. We fight hands we can't see. We stomp against the earth and whisper all the right prayers, but sometimes it isn't meant to be. You believe life will always be as it is, and you make plans, but the next thing you know, you're climbing into a sinking boat in the dead of night because the land you love is no longer safe. The sun sets, he doesn't swim above the water again, and time runs out."

Rosa Santos has been raised to believe that the women in her family are
Lola
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
The ''curse'' annoyed me. Like, really? And there's miscommunication, concealment of information, angst. That was bound to drive me crazy. So I stopped right before reaching that point. There is a lot that can make you want to shout in exasperation in this world, why let a book do that to you? Cute cover and some cute scenes though.
Zoraida
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is just everything. It is a love song to Cuba, to diaspora, to complicated families. It captures the way generations of Latinx women can communicate—or NOT communicate at all. It is about love and loss and grief. It is so absolutely charming and pure poetry. It is magical realism in the way Latinos only understand and it is romantic AF. I hope everyone gives it a chance and reads this book.
Angelica
This book was so gosh darn cute. It was everything I didn't know I needed.

The culture, the language, the family, the romance, the curse! Everything was so cute and I loved it!

My little Latina heart was filled with so much happiness while reading this book. We don't enough cute Latinx contemporaries. We never just get to see some cute Hispanic kids just falling in love without the backdrop of racism, immigration or something equally serious or tragic in the background. NOt that this is bad, it's
chan ☆
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
happy release day to this own voices excellence!

2019 is the year of good ass latinx contemporaries

this was a lot of fun! to be honest, i requested it because of the buzz i was hearing from some of my lovely latinx friends but i didn't know much about the story going in. i think had i known what the premise was i probably wouldn't have requested it. "save our town" kind of stories usually aren't for me. but i'm glad i listened to my friends because this was great!

it's a story about a cuban
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

There are always a few books every year that, from the very first page, you know are going to land among your favorites of the year. Don’t Date Rosa Santos was one of those such books for me. It’s a gem of a YA contemporary that deals with identity, history, family, culture, and home, set against the
Stacee
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was legit here for the “cursed girl and the sea” story line and didn’t need much more than that.

I loved Rosa. I loved her loyalty and her steadfastness. I loved her need to explore and learn. Her friends were all great and so were the secondary characters. Of course Mimi stole every scene she was in and I don’t even know what to do with Alex {aka the boy who bakes and read silently next to her in school and is so shy and charming}

Plot wise, it was good. There were loads of characters and I
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
Jan 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hi hello, my name is Sara and I am confessing my sins. I may have murdered everyone for not telling me about this book earlier.

Girlmore girls! To all the boys I have loved before! Latino Culture! Bad boy-tattoos! Contemporary-romance!

THE FUCK, I AM IN SO SO SO IN. TAKE MY MONEY NOW!
Cassie
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Thank you, Netgalley, for providing me with an ARC of Don’t Date Rosa Santos in exchange for an honest review!

Actual rating: 3.5 ’s.

This was the perfect summer contemporary that was equal parts cute but also heartbreaking, which I didn’t expect.

While I did quite enjoy this, there was just something missing for me. I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it, either. It was just okay. The writing was beautiful and I did highlight a lot of quotes and passages. I also loved the dialogue, Nina
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This book was warm, heartbreaking, delightful, and so so... beautifully human.
I adore this book immensely, and adore Rosa Santos even more.

- Follows Rosa Santos, a bi Cuban-American teen who lives in the small coastal town of Port Coral with her abuela. The story is an array of threads that weave together to form a wonderful slice-of-life story in a pivotal moment in Rosa's life: deciding on a college, in which one may possibly give her the opportunity to visit Cuba and learn more about her
Vicky Who Reads
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
please note that my reading experience wasn't perfect because all of the first pages of each chapter were missing so I kept getting jerked out of the story when it could have been smoother

BUT this was really good!!
Fares
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5

I read unrelatable books before but to like them I need an interesting plot and some sort of quirky characters. This unfortunately wasn't relatable and had nothing interesting to me.
It's the kind of book I'll forget everything about tomorrow.
I did like the ending tho, and that was enough for me to say that I can see some people loving this, this book has its audience but I'm not one.
Julie Zantopoulos
A generational story about family, curses, and the price we pay for our family's prior sacrifices. The weight you feel when your family sacrificed so you could have a better life and how that can limit you, cripple you with fear and anxiety and the desire to overachieve. It was a really atmospheric and wonderful LatinX story and I found myself really enjoying the audiobook.

I will say that there was a surprise sick family member/death and I was not okay with it as I'm at a point in my life where
Anna Banana

I LOVED THIS BOOK SO DAMN HARD!!!

I honestly cannot even begin to explain how much this book sang to my heart and made me fall in love with reading in a way I completely forgot I could feel.

I loved everything about this book. But what I especially loved was how this book is about family, it's about culture, it's about trying to figure out who you are when you have two different country's pulling for your heart and soul. I related so much to feeling like you aren't "enough" like how Rosa
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agenting
Nina is such a gifted writer, and I can't wait for everyone to read this Gilmore Girls meets Practical Magic YA! It's a story about Rosa, an artistic soul with a passion and determination to visit her family's country, a country forbidden legally and by her own family to visit in any capacity. Toss in the cultural elements, the diaspora, the lyrical language, and a whole lot of delicious pastries, and I was a goner. This book is gorgeous. *proud agent*
Priscilla (Bookie Charm)
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latinx, 5-star
Wow. I feel so full. I'll carry this feeling of hope and light forever.

--------------

I decided to write up a full review even though the above really captures how I felt once I finished and how I feel about this gem now.

Nina Moreno created an unforgettable story that will resonate so much with Cuban-Americans and other Latinx folx like me. The title Don't Date Rosa Santos entices you with the promise of a YA summer romance but offers a story about, not only loving a boy, but also loving your
Ashley
starting off April with a BANG rtc

Ohhh my god. This book was so much more than I was expecting it to be. I will forever be obsessed with fluffy, cute YA contemporaries. This is that with a deeper, more meaningful layer hiding underneath. I wouldn’t say this book always reads as being realistic, but it's somehow unrealistic in the most charming way possible.

The story follows Rosa. She’s what I would consider a type A, highly motivational person. She’s in her last year of high school while
Jocelyn

So ends chapter 1.

Don't Date Rosa Santos is so much more to me than just a sweet story about a girl on the brink of summer romance. I mean, it is that too and I'm sure that'll be enough to draw in plenty of lovers of YA contemporary. But for Cuban-Americans
✩ Ashley ✩
3.5 Stars

Well, that went from a light, sugary sweet, and fluffy rom-com to immeasurably heavy at the end. Yes there is a love story throughout, but it’s really a story about family. I was thrilled that a PSEO (dual HS/2yr college) student was featured, but the ending was... um... improbably timed? Atmospherically, this book was the essence of summer!!

Audiobook Performance:
Alexa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Buddy read with Kristin!

4.5 stars! This was such a wonderful YA contemporary filled with magic, culture, and a whole lot of love. I loved being able to accompany Rosa on this journey of hers from start to finish!
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

Trigger warning: Mention of death. Up till the point I read.

I received this E-ARC via Disney Book Group and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. When I saw this book on Netgalley I jumped to request it! Unfortunately it wasn’t for me.

As I started reading I lost interest. I thought it was just because I didn’t know the characters or the story. But this kept on happening. Eventually I realized I had no interest in the book.

Still recommend. I really believe this is an
Jes Reads
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
My god I absolutly loved this book!
Marie
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dear Rosa Santos,
Welcome to my all-times-favorite bookshelf.
You made me smile, you warmed my heart, you made me cry, you made me feel all the emotions and I will most likely recommend you to everyone all around because you are just that amazing <3

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Drewthereader20
Overalll rating: 4.5/5 stars
Trigger warnings: grief and death
Karina
Rating: 4.5 Stars: 1/2 (Maybe 5? Still deciding on a rating!!)

Don't Date Rosa Santos is a magical, character-driven, and utterly beautiful YA Contemporary debut! It explores the strength and complexity of family, love, and choices as Rosa is finalizing her college plans before school ends!

Moreno's debut has left me a mess of emotions & I'm not entirely sure how I'll recover

Through a lush and lovely first person POV, we follow Rosa in her town of Port Coral, Florida where she lives with her
Madi
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun summer read. I felt transported into a family descended from curses and lost at sea. Lovely writing style and I'm a big fan of the "boy with a boat"
Diana-christie
This audio book just dragged. I don't like the girl on the cover. Her outfit is horrendous. :) I'm of Latin descent but I didn't connect with these characters or story at all.
Paige
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vThbX...

I loved Don't Date Rosa Santos!

From the very beginning, and all throughout the novel, we are thrown into a world where things don't make sense and that's okay. Rosa feels lost and torn between two different cultures and worlds. She longs for the old all while embracing the new, trying to desperately grab at the small pieces of the past that will connect her to her family.

The whole concept of family and striving for a future that will

• Love From A to Z
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • With the Fire on High
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
  • Maybe This Time
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • The Grief Keeper
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
Nina Moreno is a YA writer whose writing is somewhere between Southern fiction and a telenovela. She graduated from the University of Florida and writes about Latinas chasing their dreams, falling in love, and navigating life in the hyphen. She lives by a swamp outside of Orlando where she enjoys listening to carefully curated playlists, hunting through thrift stores, drinking too much Cuban ...more
“I should have used my pain better. You and your mother deserved that.” 1 likes
“I was home, and talking about Cuba had no place here. Mimi was never returning, my mother was always leaving, and I was a flightless bird left at her harbor, searching for answers that were buried at the bottom of a sea I could not know.” 1 likes