Start by marking “Amelia Westlake Was Never Here” as Want to Read:
Amelia Westlake Was Never Here

Amelia Westlake Was Never Here

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,725 ratings  ·  357 reviews
A fiercely funny, queer romantic comedy about two girls who can't stand each other, but join forces in a grand feminist hoax to expose harassment and inequality at their elite private school.

Harriet Price is the perfect student: wealthy, smart, over-achieving. Will Everhart, on the other hand, is a troublemaker who's never met an injustice she didn't fight. When their swim
Published May 21st 2019 by Poppy (first published April 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Westlake Was Never Here, please sign up.
Bee (Vellichorbee)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura Clairmont I believe it's the same book. Just 'Amelia Westlake' is the original (Australian) edition, while 'Amelia Westlake Was Never Here' is the American edit…moreI believe it's the same book. Just 'Amelia Westlake' is the original (Australian) edition, while 'Amelia Westlake Was Never Here' is the American edition. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Amelia Westlake Was Never Here
Cristina Monica
If you’re looking for a smart YA contemporary featuring calculated plans to denounce sexist, misogynistic, homophobic and overall discriminatory behaviours at an elite private school as well as a slow-burn romance between the two female leads, this is the book for you. It will grip you from the very first sentence and the strong presence of the two female narrators will stimulate your interest.

After reading MOXIE by Jennifer Mathieu, I was on the lookout for more powerful stories that can inspi
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Honestly more of a 2.5 but I'll round up because there wasn't necessarily anything wrong with this? It was just so dull 😭
Jessica
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from The NOVL in exchange for an honest review.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

This book was so good!

First off, the premise is absolute genius. Creating a fictional student named Amelia Westlake to fight school injustices was such a clever idea. The injustices were a wide range of issues such as sexual harassment, homophobia, and elitism in private schools.

The pacing of the book was spot on. Everything happened at appropriate times and nothing felt
✨    jamieson   ✨
AN F/F ROMANCE WITH "an unlikely pair embarking on a grand feminist hoax"

SOUNDS LIT IM IN

Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Rosemead Grammar is a prestigious girls college in the affluent lower north shore of Sydney, achieving academic excellence for young women of the wealthy and elite community. It is imperative of students to preserve the sanctity of the Academy and Harriet Price is the epitome of exemplary students. Harriet is an achiever, an enterprising young woman immersed within the community, a virtuous prefect representative of the academy. Wilhelmina Everhart is a social and political activist, challenging ...more
Natasha
Review also on my blogTwitterBookstagram

Rep: lesbian mcs, f/f romance, side Vietnamese character

Trigger warnings: initially unchallenged racism

I was sent an arc from the publisher in exchanged for a free and honest review

Initially, this book sounded really promising. Two girls pulling off a hoax whilst developing a romance? Sounds great!

Yeah, not so much.

First and foremost, I hated Will. She seemed like the authors attempt to write an 'edgy' character but didn't seem to really know how
Vicky Again
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this!!! Plus a v cute ship!!!
Zitong Ren
Provided by the State Library Victoria as part of the Inky Awards.

Amelia Westlake on the outside, especially from a shallow point of view is a book on pranks and a LGBTQ+ romance. Deeper down, it looks at sexual harassment, the elitism bred from elite private schools, social justice, favouritism in marking a students work, discrimination in race and sexuality and bullying. As stated on the blurb, it focuses on two characters, one is Harriet, who is a high school prefect of Rosemead Grammar, is a
Amanda
This was so flipping good! I want to read it all over again.
Mary-ellen
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book!

Erin Gough does a great job with voice in this YA novel set in an elite girls school.

Will and Harriet, unlikely co-conspirators, find themselves partnering up to make a statement about injustices at their school. They mastermind a hoax to draw attention to the issues, but struggle to navigate their turbulent friendship as momentum picks up around their hoax.

I read recently that teens say their number one issue is that they’re not listened to. This insight comes to life in thi
K.
Trigger warnings: sexual harassment, racism, cheating, incident resulting in a fear of flying (in the past), toxic/abusive relationship, homophobia, absent parents.

So here's the thing: I really wanted to like this book because it sounded GREAT. But ultimately, I found it to be sort of aggressively average. Harriet was a total wet blanket of a character who's being walked all over by her girlfriend. In contrast, Will was just sort of...a brat. I mean, I get it. Kids who are at snobby private sch
J
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s one of those books that I feel the need to finish in one sitting. ‘witty and artistic’, full of surprises, charming, sweet but not at all corny or typical coming-out kind of lgbt books.
in short, I love it!
Anna Banana
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-f, lgbt-reads

I've been wanting to read this book since I first heard about it and I'm glad that after some confusion about whether this was actually f/f or not, I finally picked it up.

(fyi, it's f/f and it's cute!)

I like that this book took place in a private school, with one girl who is the embodiment of the school and super popular and the other girl being a transfer student from a public school that the school administration hated and who didn't really care one way or another what anyone thought
Jes Layton
Hmm, okay so, up front I heard about this book at a YA showcase last year, was intrigued by the premise and then was lucky enough to receive an ARC copy from the publisher. I'm very thankful for this and would love to pass my ARC copy along to someone in Australia (more details on my Insta @a_geek_with_a_hat)

So, you're probably looking at my rating of AMELIA WESTLAKE and thinking, wtf? This book sounds awesome, it's queer, #LoveOzYA, a contemporary feminist heist and yeah, it sounds perfect.

It'
Bethany
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
It you are looking for a fun, f/f romantic comedy about high school girls trying to take down patriarchy and elitism, then I definitely recommend Amelia Westlake was Never Here! This is a play on hate-to-love and opposites attract tropes and I really enjoyed it. Despite a clunky start, the writing sucked me in pretty quickly through the escapades of Harriet Price and Will Everheart.

Harriet Price is rule-follower with wealthy parents. She is smart and a very talented athlete, competing in tennis
Libby Armstrong
So much to love about Gough’s new novel. First, thanks for giving us Harriet Price. The peppy and latent subversive HP is a fantastic foil for the snarky Will Everhart. And then I love the creative and credible pranks Amelia Westlake enacts to provoke her cohort to action. So much conscious raising. The romance is hot, and there is plenty of nail biting plot twists that threaten to out Amelia. Well worth the wait!
rachel ☾
Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

Representation: Harriet (mc) is a lesbian; Will (mc) is a lesbian; Natasha (mc) is queer
Megan Maurice
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant from start to finish, I could hardly bear to put it down. Erin Gough has created a fascinating world within this elite private school, filled with diverse and interesting characters. So much of the politics in the school took me back to my own school days - it so realistically portrayed the way young girls interact with each other and the power of female friendship.
Trisha
Update: I just wrote a longer review at my blog Trish Talks Texts.

A thoughtful exploration of topical issues wrapped in a delicious package of surprising twists and messy relationships. It all worked.
Danielle
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Review to come on my blog
Sue (BeautyBookCorner)
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of elements to this book that tick my YES boxes:

- elite private school setting
- strong message about speaking up
- feminist girls
- hate-to-love romance trope
- hijinks and mischief

All these things added so much fun to the book, but what I think made it all work was the flawed but likable characters we find in Harriet and Will. These two girls are stereotypes of two different high school students: the perfect goody-two-shoes and the rebel punk. The book starts off with these two gi
Sarah Randall
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is 'Amelia Westlake'? It is a YA novel. It is a queer romance. It is a wonderful example of intersectional feminism. It's a timely novel for the #MeToo movement.

But it is also so much more than all these things. Like the Rosemead girls themselves, it is 'the glorious sum of [its] parts'. It's galvanising, and a must-read for any teenagers - or indeed, any person - who is questioning their voice and the power it has to change the world.
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
(4.5)

Rep: lesbian mcs (one with anxiety), Vietnamese bi side character, gay side characters
Toya
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, arcs
This is a fantastic YA contemporary novel that confronts issues of sexism, misogyny, homophobia, and discrimination, which are running rampant at Rosemead Grammar, a prestigious boarding school in Australia. Wilhelmina (Will) Everhart and Harriet Price are as opposite as they come. Harriet is the golden child of Rosemeade while Will is, well, the bottom of the barrel so to speak. They both tolerate each other, but they’re not exactly friends.

After Will and Harriet witness their sleazy swim coach
Sam (she_who_reads_)
4.5⭐️
This was so stinking adorable and full of strong, empowering messages for young women. Amelia Westlake Was Never Here is basically an enemies to lovers f/f romance set at a prestigious all-girls school in Australia. Throughout the story these girls take on all kinds of social injustices, and are forced to think critically about the way they each see and experience the world around them. A fantastically feminist story that had an organic relationship develop between the two main characters.
Bubbles
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inky-awards-2019
"WHO IS AMELIA WESTLAKE???" The suspense is real.

Thanks to the State Library of Victoria for sending me this brilliant book!
If you loved this half as much as me, GO AND VOTE for it for the 2019 Inky Awards HERE!!https://insideadog.com.au/2019-inky-a...

Also! I interviewed Erin Gough for the State Library of Victoria's Inky Awards! You can read it here:

This book was everything I could have asked for all rolled into one contemporary-style cinnamon roll of a
Alison
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ozya
A highly enjoyable read, Amelia Westlake is the kind of refreshing contemporary book that you want to read in one sitting.

A novel about girls, Willhemina and Harriet, who create a pysdonym to pull statement pranks at their elitist school. Somewhere along the way they fall for each other, and it's wonderful.

This book also highlights internalized rascism, elitist privlidge, sexism, and toxic relationships.

I adored reading this, thank you Erin Gough for another fantastic novel to shove in people'
- ̗̀ fantine ̖́-
just went to a publishing event where they talked about this and boy o yall arent ready

-good girl vs bad girl
-hoaxes?!

amazing
Emmy9394
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite YA of 2018! Absolutely brilliant! I wish my year group at school had been this politically and socially aware of the world around them. Teenage girls will change (are changing) the world!
Karina

• I Am Out with Lanterns
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • Because of You
  • Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Sick Bay
  • How to Grow a Family Tree
  • This is How We Change the Ending
  • Hot Dog Girl
Erin Gough is a fiction writer whose short stories have been published in a number of journals and anthologies, including Best Australian Stories, The Age, Overland, Southerly and Going Down Swinging. Her work has been broadcast on radio. She has also worked as a freelance writer and columnist. Awards Erin has received for her short fiction include first place in the Banjo Patterson National Short ...more

News & Interviews

“So I do what any self-respecting person would: I go after her screaming.” 3 likes
“I forget it in vivid detail.” 1 likes