Start by marking “Nights in White Castle” as Want to Read:
Nights in White Castle

Nights in White Castle

Picking up where he left off in his acclaimed memoir Sting-Ray Afternoons, Steve Rushin brilliantly captures a bygone era, and the thrills of new adulthood in the early 80s.
It begins in Bloomington, Minnesota, with a 13-year-old kid staging his own author photo that he hopes will someday grace the cover of a book jacket. And it ends at a desk in the legendary Time & Life building,80s.
Published August 20th 2019 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Nights in White Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nights in White Castle

Peter Mcloughlin
Like sting ray afternoons this book exercises nostalgia for aging Gen Xers like me. It is interesting that someone my age in their fifties lived their entire life drenched in the late capitalisms media environment. The author's story is dominated by products and media of the era. The author is a sportswriter who grew up in an upper-middle-class suburb in the midwest in the 1970s and 1980s. I grew up in an upper-middle-class suburb in the 1970s and 1980s on the east coast and get all of the autho ...more
Jay Gabler
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The fact that Nights in White Castle begins in high school, then travels through college and lands in Times Square gives it more of a disjointed feel than the warmly cohesive Sting-Ray Afternoons, and all in all it’s not quite as funny. Most of its laughs come early on, when Rushin’s still running “the Strip” (that would be Interstate 494) with his high school buddies in Bloomington. I reviewed Nights in White Castle for The Tangential.
Randal White
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I lost count of how many times I burst out laughing while reading this book! Rushin continues the story he began telling of growing up in Minnesota in the 70-80's (see Sting-Ray Afternoons). Now he is a teenager, living in Bloomington, MN (a suburb of Mineapolis). In a house full of rowdy brothers, a little sister, and his parents.
I came of age in roughly the same era, also in the Midwest. I could relate to SO MANY of his exploits and adventures. From getting my drivers license, to infatuations
Greg Zimmerman
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First appeared at https://www.thenewdorkreviewofbooks.c...

If you enjoy Steve Rushin's particular brand of humor and wit in his articles in Sports Illustrated, there is a 100 percent chance you're going to love his new memoir, Nights In White Castle. I, for one, enjoyed it immensely! But in the interest of full disclosure, beyond the fact that I already love Rushin's stuff, this book held particular allure for me because Rushin is a Marquette alum (I am too!), and part of this memoir is devoted to his four years in college in Milwauke
Holly McCall
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read Steve Rushin in Sports Illustrated for year and this was not what I expected by the title. As someone only two years older than him, I found he did a beautiful job of capturing what high school years in the early 1980s were like -- the music, the artists. Despite him growing up in Minneapolis and I in Nashville, I identified with so much of his writing. I believe the reviewers used the word 'elegaic,' and it's a fine word to use: It's sentimental without being sappy or having bathos. G ...more
E
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Steve Rushin is a superb writer. This memoir covers his later high school as well as college years, into his early work that got him hired at Sports Illustrated at a rather young age. Rushin loves words; not all writers do, but Rushin loves to play with them, to connect them, to delight in them. He also evidently has a phenomenal memory--how does he remember all this stuff that happened to him as a young man? I have about half a dozen hazy memories, or so it seems to me. Rushin, on the other han ...more
Ken Heard
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes starting out reading Steve Rushin's books is a little difficult in that it's written like no other memoir. It's almost a stream-of-conscious thing with him remembering some nostalgia or product or person and then jaunting off on the history of it before returning to the main story. Also, Rushin is brilliant in word play and he leads the reader on the path to set up that word play.

But once you get into the style, you find it's an excellent journey. Although he ended up at Sp
Sasha
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Nights in White Castle, do do do do do do do...
Nights in White Castle is an entertaining, funny memoir by Steve Rushin, a writer for Sports Illustrated, that covers his escapades and successes through high school, college, and beyond.

The stories in this novel are entertaining in their own right, but to me this book was so much more. As a girl who was raised in Des Plaines (a suburb of Chicago) who read SI religiously, often traveled past the Bong Recreation Area (I finally know where the
Sean
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I am a "First Reads" winner.

What I enjoy the most about Rushin's memoir is what it evokes - The Twin Cities (I'm not a Native, but I lived there for several years), the 80's/90's, high school-into college-into a first career, and … White Castle! Rushin's recollections were perfect, universal, and poignant; I was able to visualize and feel, as empathetically as possible, what influenced and made "Rushin" Rushin.

Nice job!
Bamboozlepig
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid sequel to Rushin's "Sting Ray Afternoons". Rushin once again reminisces about growing up in Minnesota during the 1970s and 1980s and many of the cultural and brand-name references I remember myself. In some spots, Rushin jumps from one topic to another without any clear connection, making for a bit of a bumpy read. It's also not quite as funny as his first book, but I still enjoyed it.
Karli Eller
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
A heart warming memoir about growing into adulthood from Bloomington, Minnesota, to Milwaukee, Wisconsin to New York City. Steve, whose podcast with his wife Rebecca I listen to weekly brings to life what it was like growing up in the midwest in the 80's. His stories and memories take you back to a simpler time. Although I grew up in the 90's, many of the stories still resonated and brought a smile to my face. A very quick read, one that will make you laugh and tear up a bit as well.
Nancy Joseph Petermann
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Steve Rushin's Sting Ray Afternoons, so when I got an opportunity to read Nights in White Castle, I was excited. Another great read, throwing me back to my years prior to adulthood. If you like sports, and reliving the 80's - ?, then this is a book for you. Thank you Steve for another book that took me 3 days to read cover to cover.
Tammy AZ
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A perfect book for us Gen-Xers. I felt like I was reading stories my husband and his friends tell except they were about different people and in a different location. I even took a photo of one paragraph and messaged it to my husband who was traveling because it was so laugh out loud funny. Just goes to show we’re more alike than different.
Karl
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another funny enjoyable book. I did like Sting-Ray afternoons better. This book will especially be a treat for readers in Minneapolis-St Paul region.
Steve
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fun, nostalgic book by a very clever writer.
Lindsay
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even more delightful than the first Bloomington memoir.
Nancy Byers
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you grew up in or near Bloomington, MN in the 60s 70s or 80s, you have to read this book. It will bring back so many memories. I loved it!
Suellen
This was a fairly typical Midwestern coming-of-age in the 1970-80’s story. It brought back a bunch of memories.

It was okay.
Ray Musacchio
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Great follow up to Sting Ray Afternoons. Can’t wait for his next book.
Carol
Aug 23, 2019
Doug
Sep 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
After graduating from Bloomington Kennedy High School in 1984 and Marquette University in 1988, Rushin joined the staff of Sports Illustrated. Over the next 19 years, he filed stories from Greenland, India, Indonesia, the Arctic Circle and other farflung locales, as well as the usual nearflung locale to which sportswriters are routinely posted.

His first novel, The Pint Man, was published by Doubl