Start by marking “One Minute Later” as Want to Read:
One Minute Later

One Minute Later

International bestselling author Susan Lewis’ riveting, unforgettable novel of a woman whose life changes in an instant and the handsome young man with whom she shares a secret history—perfect for readers of Diane Chamberlain, Judi Picoult and Susan Wiggs.

How well do you know the people you love? For one young woman returning to the past, the answer could be heart-shatter
Published June 11th 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Julie Parks
NEW video book review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6dH7...

My NetGalley blurb said that it was about a life that can change in a heartbeat. Well, I think it changed due to the lack of a heartbeat was more like it.

The absolutely horrifying fact that a girl in her twenties can unexpectedly (not so much when you learn all the further story but still, for her it was unexpected) have a major heart attack shook me to my core.

The story, the secrets, and the character development, however interestin
Amanda
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As sure as night follows day, you know if you read a Susan Lewis book you are in for an emotional rollercoaster of a ride that you won’t want to get off!!

Vivienne is a very successful Lawyer who is out celebrating her 27th birthday with her closest friends, when in the space of a minute her life changes forever. She has a heart attack, Her life will never be the same again.

Vivienne goes back to her childhood home in Kesterley whilst she anxiously waits for the call to say a donation heart has be
DeAnn
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
4 emotional stars to this one

This was my first read by Susan Lewis. I learned a lot about heart transplants!

Vivi is a successful lawyer, she's just recently run a marathon, and is celebrating her 27th birthday with a great group of friends and colleagues. Inexplicably, she has a heart attack and her life changes dramatically!

She's forced to move back home with her mother and wait for a heart transplant. There's a bit of medical info in the book, but important to understand the context of the boo
Amanda
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Mandy White
I really don't know where to start with this review. This is book that I can't stop thinking about, its story so well written that I felt a part of it. Susan Lewis is an author that I used to read a lot of but this is the first of her books that I have read in a long time and I am now wondering why. Absolutely need to get back into reading her books again. This book was beautiful, it made me laugh and cry and is extremely thought provoking. I can't recommend this book more if you want a story th ...more
Adele Shea
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is bittersweet. It shows how falling in love can just happen out of the blue. How one day your life is your idea of perfect but can turn 180 and you feel you have nothing to live for.

It is a beautiful tear jerking love story that bring about awareness of organ donating.
Lee
There’s a plethora of high ratings for this book on Goodreads but unfortunately I won’t be adding to it. This book is not for me.

Most of the book is written in alternate point of views.

The first, with a modern setting, feature's Vivi who, on her 27th birthday, has a heart attack. Upon waking she finds her prognosis is not good. The doctors give her only twelve months to live unless she finds a suitable heart transplant donor. Obviously her life changes with this news. The high flying city lawye
Kathryn
One minute you are okay, living a fun filled and fulfilling life - the next minute the unthinkable happens and you are twenty seven and experiencing a heart attack.

That's what happens to Vivi Shaeger and it turns her world and life upside down. She returns to her home town of Kesterly on Sea and life is very different. To survive she is going to need a new heart. Suddenly life seems fragile and one of the things she wants to find out is - who is her father? But when she does find out what will s
Mrs Georgina L Goddard
What a great book that highlights the need of organ donors and the emotions that surround families receiving them and those donating them.
Lesley
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm ashamed to say I very nearly gave up on this, even at around 45% - but then it all started coming together, and I should have known from the start that a Susan Lewis book wouldn't let me down.

This is a wonderful story, with true-life woven into it, with a powerful message of the importance of organ donation.

Wonderful book which I have cried my eyes out over in more than one place.
Pat Simpson
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed Susan Lewis’s books and I enjoyed this one but not as much as her earlier books. I found this book quite confusing for the first few chapters, with different times and so many characters that I couldn’t connect with. It seemed so drawn out before things clicked but then I couldn’t put it down. It is a story of two women, Vivi in the present time and Shelley in the past and present. As their lives merge so do many secrets and lies. This is a story of hope, love and sadness t ...more
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about love and loss, marrying 2 storylines over 30 years apart. I initially struggled to warm to Vivi as a character, so found some of the earlier chapters less engrossing, but as the stories unfolded, changed my opinion completely. Ultimately I really enjoyed this book and was sad when it ended.
Dave Wheeler
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well WOW that's a story and some more, there is no doubt that lives can change in minutes and this tells the story of Vivienne and the family of Shelley.
Both have a heartbreaking tale and how they cope and or overcome and it's a stories that you need to hear and it could change your life when you do, yep it's that powerful. The families you assumed early on there must be some connection and I had to wait to find out and it's definitely worth the wait in my view but I'll let you make your own mi
Karen Mace
I read this via The Pigeonhole app.

This was an engaging and thought provoking read as it looks at the question of organ donation, and how the wait can affect the patients and those around them, alongside a story of family drama and what happens when the truth comes out after years of feeling aggrieved at not knowing the full story.

Vivienne is a high flying lawyer with the whole world at her feet - until she collapses on her 27th birthday and her life then flips 180 and she is left to ponder what
Bridget
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Women's Fiction and Contemporary Fiction, Readers of Romance, Anyone
I have read some of Susan Lewis’ work before and I particularly liked “No Turning Back” and “No Child Of Mine.” However, this book, “One Minute Later,” outclasses them both, I think. What an incredible journey Susan Lewis took us on, through the lives of the characters in this novel!

Before I go any further, I must mention how much I loved being at Deerwood Farm. Susan’s beautiful writing style made this, for me, a magical place to be, as it was so much more than a scruffy, dirty Farm. The chap
booksofallkinds
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from the Publisher

ONE MINUTE LATER by Susan Lewis is an in-depth and emotional story of loss and heartbreak and I was engrossed from beginning to end.

It is a matter of seconds when Vivi's fulfilling life is altered irrevocably. One minute she is a highly successful professional with a stunning apartment in the city, lots of like-minded friends, and a lifestyle that she always wanted and the next she is passed out on a restaurant floor with a terrifying diagnosis
Sue
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-authors
Susan Lewis takes her readers on a roller coaster ride of a story about how life can change in just one minute. She always write wonderful stories about families but I thought that this was her best novel yet.

Vivi is a successful lawyer in London. She lives in a perfect apartment, has plenty of friends and works long long hours at her job. It all changes in a minute when she has a massive heart attack at her 27th birthday party. She is unable to keep her job, her boyfriend is no longer interest
Jo
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An emotional rollercoaster of a book. This author never disappoints. Will admit to finding the book slow to start but once you could see a connection between the 2 story lines it started to pick up. Love, heartbreak (quite literally) and family relationships. Have to say I did shed a tear towards the end - but I won't spoil it. Would recommend. Thank you to The Pigeonhole for the chance to read this title in exchange for an honest review.
Liz Barnsley
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow for the tour.
Angi Plant
I was gifted this book from Pigeonhole on behalf of the author and with no expectation of a good review.

I enjoyed this book. It shows how quickly life can change and that we never truly know what is coming, whatever our plans. It’s not my usual genre but it’s definitely worth a read and was a good page turner.
Christina Mama-Kyriacou
Excellent writing, thoughrt provoking and deep.
Not being a great aficionado of the romance or "chick lit" genres, I'd never previously read a Susan Lewis book. I know they're much loved by her army of dedicated fans, and having now read "One Minute Later", I can understand the attraction for those who seek out this style of literature. Lewis is undeniably a skilled writer.
Like some other reviewers, I chose this book on the basis of its blurb description as a thriller, and like many of them, I felt that it felt a bit flat on that score. The m
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
You think your life is perfect.
You think your secrets are safe.
You think it’ll always be this way.

But your life can change in a heartbeat….

One Minute Later by Susan Lewis is a book of fiction, but it is a very important book, raising the issue of organ donation. Carrying a donor card on you at all times could result in the saving of nine lives. When we die, our organs can mean the difference between life and death to many others who still have hope, who deserve a second chance. Please carry a
Kitty
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pigeonhole, netgalley
Vivienne (Vivi) Shaeger has everything. At 27 she has secured a great job as a city lawyer, a wonderful home and everything seems perfect as she sets out to enjoy her 27th birthday lunch in a luxurious setting with her friends from Law School. Just one minute later, that life is in tatters.

In the middle of lunch, Vivi suffers a major heart attack. As a child she had undergone heart surgery for a condition that was unlikely to give her any future ill-effects; sadly that has turned out to not be t
Anjana
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again I was taken in by an ambiguous blurb on Goodreads. I do not mean to say I did not like the book. I enjoyed it but part of that was overshadowed by my expecting something extremely 'thriller like' to jump out at me. This is not a story of secrets although there is one which doesn't really go the way it appears to say on the blurb that I saw.

This is a tale about people, their bonds and how they come together in times of adversity. It is all about family and all the things that make up f
Breakaway Reviewers
A poignant tale of love and loss.

Susan Lewis is a best-selling author of exactly this kind of book. And I need to admit that this kind of book is not my kind of book. That is not the book’s fault but just a personal preference as a reader and a side-effect of being a cynic by nature. However, I did find that, despite this, it definitely was an engrossing, page-turner and I found myself investing in the characters’ fates.

There are two storylines which are presented independently and they alternat
Lel Budge
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Vivi Shager, she’s young, beautiful, a lawyer and living life to the full.

But, on her twenty-seventh birthday, she collapses, her heart is failing and life just changes.....no more living alone, no more parties, and constant fear that her heart may just stop....

The totally despondent and weakened Vivi is forced to accept life has to adapt and she is moved back home to her mothers house and tries to continue to come to terms with this new life....such as it is....

Along with V
Lel Budge
Shelves: netgalley, pigeonhole

Along with V
Jayne Burnett
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Net Galley and HarperCollins UK for an ARC of this book in exchange for a review.
This is another top read from Susan Lewis. I read this book in one day, I just could not leave it. The title says it all, it just takes one minute for everything to change. Vivienne’s life changes dramatically on her 27th birthday, she has a city job, a modern apartment and a circle of glamorous friends who she is out celebrating her birthday with when she has a cardiac arrest.
Vivi has to learn to adapt
Stephanie
One Minute Later is a book that I wouldn’t usually read but every now and again I need something a little different. The first half of it is dual narrative, Vivi, who has been diagnosed with a life changing illness in modern day and Shelley whose narrative starts in the 1980s and moves forward towards modern day. It was Shelley’s story I preferred. I liked the family’s efforts to make their farm a success, the hectic family life and the people in general. Vivi I couldn’t warm too, I found the wa ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.

• The DNA of You and Me
  • The Friends We Keep
  • The Quintland Sisters
  • The Cutting Room (Carver and Lake, #2)
  • Drawing Home
  • The Liar's Child
  • The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)
  • The Evidence Against You
  • Blood Orange
  • A Dangerous Duet (Victorian Mystery #1)
  • The Secrets We Carried (Butternut Lake, #6)
  • On the Same Page